Nerdery VR Thread

24,060 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Pman17
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tate504 said:

Setting up my quest 2 tonight or tomorrow. Anyone have a referral code they want to give for the $30 store credit?
https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/DarthPman/

If anyone on here wants to use my link for Christmas, feel free to. You basically get a free game as they average $30. There's a chance to win $10,000 in Store Credit which is like free games for life. Offer ends 12/31
Pman17
AG
Pman17 said:

tate504 said:

Setting up my quest 2 tonight or tomorrow. Anyone have a referral code they want to give for the $30 store credit?
https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/DarthPman/

If anyone on here wants to use my link for Christmas, feel free to. You basically get a free game as they average $30. There's a chance to win $10,000 in Store Credit which is like free games for life. Offer ends 12/31

Don't know if you can double dip, but there's a $50 store credit for Black Friday as well. So $80 total, if you use my referral. Hopefully there will be some good bundles around Christmas. Think I got a bundle of 5 games for $80 last Christmas.

Top Game Recommendations
-Beat Saber
-Walkabout Mini Golf
-Golf+ (Top Golf, put & 18 hole)
-Echo VR
-Onward
-Population One
-Eleven Table Tennis
easttexasaggie04
AG
I have an Oculus Quest 2, but none of my friends do. Feel free to add me as a friend so we can game! My name on there is DOUGinTEXAS
Philip J Fry
AG
Star Wars Squadrons should be on the list of must have games.
Pman17
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Star Wars Squadrons should be on the list of must have games.
Yes it should, but requires a PC.
Philip J Fry
AG
Is VR still a thing? I haven't picked up my index in many months. Hoping new content will be available soon.
Pman17
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Is VR still a thing? I haven't picked up my index in many months. Hoping new content will be available soon.
The Meta Quest is
AgCMT
AG
Went to Sandbox VR in Ft Worth over the weekend. It was a blast. Not cheap, but we had a group of us that played a couple of different games.

We've had a Quest for about a year. We played it for about 3 months and now it sits in a drawer. Any suggestions on new games that I need to check out?
Pman17
AG
Quest Pro announced today!
$1500 AR headset focused mostly on the workplace.
tamusc
AG
Pman17 said:

Quest Pro announced today!
$1500 AR headset focused mostly on the workplace.
Looks like a nice step up in a number of ways, especially the pancake lenses and built in tracking on the controllers. I'll stick with my Quest 2 for now, but hopefully at least those two improvements end up in the Quest 3.
tamusc
AG
Are you playing purely standalone VR or do you have a gaming PC you can stream from?

If you have a PC to stream from, Half Life Alyx is awesome as are Lone Echo and Lone Echo 2. Star Wars Squadrons is really, really good as well if you have a PC to stream from and I spent the first few games just looking around inside the cockpits, lol.

If you're playing standalone, there's a number of great options like Beat Saber (still my most played game), Population One (pretty solid battle royale shooter), Superhot VR, Pistol Whip, Resident Evil 4 VR is awesome if you like that kind of game, Until you Fall, Walkabout Mini Golf is fun (especially if you have friends with a Quest), Gorn, and the Vader Immortal series. Tetris Effect and Myst VR both have great reviews, but I haven't personally played either yet.
wessimo
AG
Bump. Any recent recs for games that can be played on OQ2 (with or without PC)? I played Propagation (zombie shooter) recently and am looking for more like that.
satexas
AG
Poker Stars VR is the best fun app on Quest VR imo
agdoc2001
AG
What the Bat? Is a pretty fun if light experience. It's from the makers of the mobile game What the Golf? which is pretty fun to kill time on a plane.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pman17
AG
Anyone getting the Quest 3?
aggieforester05
AG
Pman17 said:

Anyone getting the Quest 3?

I am, the higher resolution and color pass through are what sold me.
Pman17
AG
I ordered one. Arrives today!

Will be replacing my Quest 2.

Oh and if anyone is interested, my Quest 2 256GB is for sale. $200 + shipping. Comes with case and elite strap.
Pman17
AG
Quest 3 came in from Best Buy!

Huge difference! UI is smooth! It doesn't struggle like the Quest 2 did. AR is fuzzy but you can pick up your phone and actually see the screen rather than peaking through the nose gap. I haven't tried with full battery yet. I think the battery is about the same as the Quest 2.

Meta perfected standalone VR with the Quest 2. Quest 3 made it a smooth experience and possibly nail AR once developers release stuff.
aggieforester05
AG
Cool, thanks for the review!
Pman17
AG
Referral if any one wants 25% off Breachers on Quest.

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/DarthPman/5740397619319389/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=3&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral
jr15aggie
AG
Definitely looking to get one for my son for Christmas (of course it's for me too!).

We had the Quest 1 and I loved it at the time... was really phenomenal compared to the mall kiosk VR machines of the 90's. For a while he asked me to get him a Quest 2 and I always told him no. I just felt like the step from 1 to 2 was somewhat marginal.

But the Quest 3 looks to be a huge leap forward, especially compared to the original. I've already converted my account so all our games transfer. This should be a great time to jump back in.
jr15aggie
AG
Picked up a Quest 3 the other day in case supplies run low around Christmas. Fired it up and spent a good 2 hours with it... you know, just so it would be ready to go Christmas morning for my son ;-)

Anyway, definitely very impressed with it. I only played older Quest 1 games we already owned so nothing mind blowing (none of them had quest 3 specific updates)... but everything is definitely much clearer and better presented. We skipped the Quest 2 so this was a good size leap in quality over the original.

One thing that wasn't obvious at first was how you can move your eyes around and it's crisp & clear everywhere you look. On the old quest there was a sweet spot dead center... anything outside of that was real blurry. If you wanted to look at or read something you'd have to move your head to look directly at it.

The software for the pass thru, room mapping, and guardian system definitely needs updating to have it all work together more seamlessly, but the hardware & tech behind it is very impressive and is the biggest selling point of the device. I "lived" in my headset for a solid 2 hours with no interruptions. I played old VR games and played some mixed reality demos. After a while I wanted to take a break, so I got a bottle of water, plopped down on my couch and went right into a virtual movie theater and watched a few minutes of Top Gun Maverick... all the while the headset never came off. Very cool and definitely going to need an upgraded headstrap if I make a habit of longer sessions.
Pman17
AG
If anyone plans to order a Quest 3 from Meta, here's my referral.

https://www.meta.com/referrals/link/DarthPman

We both get $30 store credit.

If you get the 512 GB, you get Asgards Wrath 2 ($60) and 6 Months of Meta Quest Plus Subscription which is like $300 worth of games if you don't own any of the picks. Assuming the 2 games per month are $20-30.
aggieforester05
AG
So far, the resolution is definitely better. It's more comfortable and puts less pressure on your face. The passthrough cameras are relatively low resolution, but miles and miles ahead of the quest 2. The battery life does not seem to be as good as the quest 2. Only really watched videos so far. Hoping to get some time this weekend to hook it up to the PC and try it with Microsoft Flight Simulator.
HeavyMetalAg
AG
Anyone have experience with a PSVR2? Looking into one as a family Christmas gift. I have a wheel and pedal setup for Gran Turismo, so excited for that as much as the kids!

Side question, they've played a game on a friend's Quest called "Blades and Sorcery" I think. Anything similar on PSVR2?
aggieforester05
AG
Played a little MSFS and DCS F/A-18 this weekend. Overall, I still need to upgrade my gaming rig from a 7700K and 1080Ti, so I get about the same amount of stutter that I did with the Quest 2. The increased FOV and pixel density is very noticeable. The biggest difference is that many of the buttons and control knobs that were blurry with the Quest 2 are now legible in the Quest 3.
jr15aggie
AG
HeavyMetalAg said:

Anyone have experience with a PSVR2? Looking into one as a family Christmas gift. I have a wheel and pedal setup for Gran Turismo, so excited for that as much as the kids!

Side question, they've played a game on a friend's Quest called "Blades and Sorcery" I think. Anything similar on PSVR2?

I don't have any experience with PSVR, but I hear good things about it in terms of quality. The biggest gripe is usually cost of entry, but since you already have the PS5, you are looking at $500-ish whether you went for the Quest 3 or PSVR2.

Quest vs PSVR is almost like Nintendo Switch vs PS5. The Quest is definitely going to have that ease of use and family friendly thing going for it along with some unique games. PSVR is a bit more involved because you are tethered to the console... so perhaps not as family friendly... but you have those AAA games (like Gran Turismo) that you cannot get on a less powerful stand alone quest console.

It doesn't sound like Blade and Sorcery is coming to PSVR, at least not anytime soon, and I'm not aware of anything similar. How old are your kids? The PSVR has a good number of games, but they are games like Horizon and Resident Evil... games that I think teenagers/adults enjoy more.
HeavyMetalAg
AG
One is about to be 15, other turned 10 a few months ago. I think the younger will be happy with some of the more tech demo style games. He probably doesn't have the attention span for much more, anyway. I know he'd be into Beat Saber though! Sounds like the older kid may get more out of it.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, those are good ages for VR. Games like Beat Sabre & Pistol Whip are games that are pretty much on everybody's "must own" list and are great for the younger kids. Most would consider them age appropriate and are great for quick play sessions.

You and the 15 year old will probably really enjoy those games as well (Pistol Whip is probably my favorite VR game)... but you'll also have fun with the more in-depth action/adventure type games. And I bet GT in VR is a trip!

Be sure to check out youtube... tons of VR channels and I know there is a good amount of PSVR specific content. I haven't watched much coverage on it because I have an Xbox & Quest, but I've seen enough to know that the PSVR2 was considered a nice upgrade over the original and I believe it has a lot more praise than criticism.
ArmyAg2002
AG
How does it look with the 2.9 update in DCS?
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
HeavyMetalAg said:

I have a PSVR2. It's some incredible technology.

You can get the classics on it as others are saying (beat saber and pistol whip). Others I've really enjoyed are Roundabout Minigolf (surprisingly very realistic mini golf physics) and Pavlov (FPS).

There are some good survival horror options as well. Walking Dead is decent, and there is also Resident Evil Village and the upcoming RE4. Those are much more terrifying in VR than regular console experiences.

All that said, I don't use it a ton. Maybe 2 hours a month.
It's also a lot of equipment. Strongly recommend buying the controller charger accessory, otherwise charging is kind of a pain.

I've played GT as well. Not as amazing as I had hoped in VR, but if simulation racing is your thing, I'm sure you'll love it. My coworker has a racing rig set up at his house, and he outfitted a seat rumbler that responds to the different road textures. The guy swears it's just like racing real cars lol.

I'll say, I am frustrated that Half Life Alyx hasn't found a way onto the platform yet. PSVR2 needs to continue ramping up 3rd party VR software support

Let me know if you have any other questions
-Ben There/R.C.
jr15aggie
AG
Nice post Ghost. I'm assuming you meant to say Walkabout Mini Golf... I just added that to my Quest wish list. Been hearing good things about it so I need to try it out sometime.

Also wanted to chime in on your "I don't play it a ton" comment. I think that's true of a lot of VR users. The tech is incredible, but I definitely play regular TV based games a lot more. It's also the reason why I haven't considered any VR platform other than the Quest... the cable management and setup needed for PC or PS VR is just one more thing to discourage regular use. The Quest is just so easy to get in/out of and play anywhere, especially now with the new passthrough.

But I'm with you, always happy to recommend VR... especially at Christmas time, it's a fantastic toy and has that immediate WOW factor that you want on Christmas day when the parents & kids start playing with it. Just know going into it that it may not be something that gets used all the time.
jr15aggie
AG
And Ghost, I have a question for my own curiosity... does PSVR support free entertainment apps such as Big Screen, Netflix, etc?

Those have become staples for me on the Quest. At some point I'll get tired (literally) playing VR games, but I'm not ready to leave VR land yet. These are great for some couch VR time. Big Screen in particular has become a regular hang out spot... so many user hosted channels with fun/weird/strange stuff happening. Got into a Karaoke room the other night, that was interesting.

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Totally, a great time with family during holidays!

Yes, Walkabout Mini Golf, thank you. It's a ton of fun, esp if you like mini golf (and who doesn't like mini golf?)

I don't believe Big Screen is on PSVR2. I have used both Netflix and HBOMax on the headset, and it works well. Feels like you're in a theater.
KidDoc
AG
Thanks for the reviews of Q3. I wasn't planning on upgrading but I likely will when it goes on sale. I primarily use it for Supernatural VR but also do some PC VR like Alyx and Project Cars 2.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.