Nerdery VR Thread

24,043 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Pman17
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reviving this thread. Just got Oculus Quest 2, coming from the CV1, it's an awesome upgrade!
KidDoc
AG
Pman17 said:

Reviving this thread. Just got Oculus Quest 2, coming from the CV1, it's an awesome upgrade!
Enjoy! I'm loving my Quest 1 especially when using Virtual Desktop over wifi to play SW: Squadrons. Working on getting Skyrim setup this week.

Vader, Superhot, Moss are great fun. I am also doing Supernatural VR every other day as a workout program and it is fun and hard.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
exitone
AG
Looking for some guidance here....
The kids want an Oculus Quest 2 for Christmas. I'm usually up on technology, but I haven't really done much research into options out there aside from the HoloLens (been waiting for that for a long time).
I see there is a 64GD model and a 256 GB model. The games actually seem fairly small, so you could fit a lot on the 64gb (though I think that is hard to find these days). But the question is, is that really good enough, or do you recommend I play it safe and get the 256 GB?

tamusc
AG
Personally I went with the 256GB version since it's not expandable.

It really just depends on how big some of the newer games made with optimizations for the Quest 2 (hence larger file sizes) and how much you want to mess with uninstalling and reinstalling games to clear space.
exitone
AG
Thanks. Over lunch I ordered the 256 thinking the same, so glad to have a little support after dropping the extra change. I guess all that being said, the next question is.... anyone got any good game recommendations?
V8Aggie
AG
So I tried to play a steam vr game on my quest 2 through the link cable. I start the game in VR mode but it only appears like it's on a movie screen in the headset. What am I screwing up here?
Jack Ruby
Have you downloaded the steam VR app? You need to run it thru this, which is separate from the regular steam app on your PC.
V8Aggie
AG
Don't think so. I'll try that. Thanks.
Pman17
AG
exitone said:

Thanks. Over lunch I ordered the 256 thinking the same, so glad to have a little support after dropping the extra change. I guess all that being said, the next question is.... anyone got any good game recommendations?
Awesome! Y'all are gonna love it!

My current favorite is Walkabout Mini Golf VR. Beat Saber is great! They added a Battle Royale game called Population One which is pretty cool. Superhot VR is another great game.

Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge is coming out on November 19th.

Vader Immortal is kind of cool but it's separated into 3 $10 games. Feels more like a quick theme park VR experience.

FYI, there's a way to side load unapproved Oculus games without jailbreaking. It's called SideQuest. You just enable Developer mode on your Oculus and you can transfer those games from a PC. Oculus Quest games are pretty much Mobile Phone games in size. They're Android .apks.

exitone
AG
Pman17 said:

exitone said:

Awesome! Y'all are gonna love it!

My current favorite is Walkabout Mini Golf VR. Beat Saber is great! They added a Battle Royale game called Population One which is pretty cool. Superhot VR is another great game.

Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge is coming out on November 19th.

Vader Immortal is kind of cool but it's separated into 3 $10 games. Feels more like a quick theme park VR experience.

FYI, there's a way to side load unapproved Oculus games without jailbreaking. It's called SideQuest. You just enable Developer mode on your Oculus and you can transfer those games from a PC. Oculus Quest games are pretty much Mobile Phone games in size. They're Android .apks.

Thanks for the tip on the side loading, didnt know that.

We are a big Star Wars family, so without a doubt we will be getting all the Star Wars titles. I saw the super shot and population one videos on the website, but wasn't sure how they really were. I was kind of leaning towards Population One.
Honestly, I'm not really sure what to expect with this.... and its for the kids for Christmas.... but I have a feeling I will be taking it over on many occasions.
tamusc
AG
Cool, you can now cast to a browser in addition to your phone or a Chromecast.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-can-now-cast-directly-pc-web-browsers/amp/
KidDoc
AG
I have a Quest 1 and love it.

Vader is great if you are a SW fan. The Lightsaber dojo's are pretty fun even outside the movie story.

The most surprising app for me is Supernatural VR. This is a fun and engaging workout program that I have been doing ~5 days a week. Has flavors of beat saber but it is more of workout with a bit of game while beat saber is the opposite. It is sub based @ $19 a month but that is cheap for a work out program.

Superhot is great but after I beat it I haven't messed with it much.

Moss is a nice cute 3d platform/puzzle game. I like it all right but I imagine kids will love it.

If you have a PC that is VR ready you can play Steam VR and Oculus games with the Link. I have tried SW Squadrons and Skyrim and Pavlov and they all work. I messed around with Virtual Desktop to do this thru wifi but it has hitches that I find annoying.

Enjoy!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Desert Power
AG
Is there a way to watch iTunes movies on Oculus?
exitone
AG
KidDoc said:

Vader is great if you are a SW fan. The Lightsaber dojo's are pretty fun even outside the movie story.

The most surprising app for me is Supernatural VR. This is a fun and engaging workout program that I have been doing ~5 days a week. Has flavors of beat saber but it is more of workout with a bit of game while beat saber is the opposite. It is sub based @ $19 a month but that is cheap for a work out program.

Moss is a nice cute 3d platform/puzzle game. I like it all right but I imagine kids will love it.

Thanks for the recommendations.

So what is everyone doing with the whole 'Facebook account required' thing? Are there any advantages one way or another in regards to using your primary Facebook account versus creating a bogus one just for the Oculus?

tamusc
AG
Well, the downside to using a bogus one is that it violates the Facebook TOS and they can decide to ban that account. If that happens, you lose all the purchases made on that account.
KidDoc
AG
exitone said:

KidDoc said:

Thanks for the recommendations.

So what is everyone doing with the whole 'Facebook account required' thing? Are there any advantages one way or another in regards to using your primary Facebook account versus creating a bogus one just for the Oculus?

I just use my normal Facebook account. I haven't done any multiplayer stuff so that may change someday.
AgSportsFan89
AG
I finally got the sideloaded patch of Virtual Desktop and was able to play Squadrons in full VR mode on my quest2. I just had to run it through steamVR. Man what a different experience that is from just the screen. Like I was playing a different game. It took a while to get everything working, but it was worth the effort
KidDoc
AG
AgSportsFan89 said:

I finally got the sideloaded patch of Virtual Desktop and was able to play Squadrons in full VR mode on my quest2. I just had to run it through steamVR. Man what a different experience that is from just the screen. Like I was playing a different game. It took a while to get everything working, but it was worth the effort
Check out Eye of the Temple. Free demo on Steam.

It will BLOW YOUR MIND!

Cannot wait for the full game!
AgSportsFan89
AG
Looks interesting. I'll check it out tonight.
ContinentalAg
Anyone get one for Christmas?
Gig-Em2003
AG
Quest 2. Holy Moly. I'm obsessed with this thing. Great for my 8 and 11 year old kids. A little much for the 5 yo.
exitone
AG
We got the Vader Immortal bundle and Superhot. I have played 5 minutes of Vader, and that's it. Kids have had it the rest of the day. Looks like the only time I will ever see this is after they go to bed.
exitone
AG
Saw this article and thought it was interesting. The sorry thing about this is if you want to create an alt account for your kid, it sounds like they are still making you create a FB account for your kid. Which in some instances sounds like setting up bogus accounts, which they are trying to steer people away from. Seriously, if you have a 5 year old kid, its just going to be a burner.

"Starting next month, Quest 2 owners will be able to create separate accounts for anybody they're sharing their VR headset with. Oculus has announced that it's rolling out multi-user accounts and app sharing, which it says are two of its users' most requested features. The multi-user feature enables the primary account owner to add up to three secondary accounts on their device, and each one will get personalized game progress and achievements. In addition, they'll be able to share their app purchases with the secondary accounts."

At the bottom of the article, it mentions:
"The company believes the features can help increase household usage, as well as prevent piracy. "

Is piracy really a big issue with VR?
Pman17
AG
Awesome! I saw this problem during Christmas. Friends and family getting Oculus Quest 2s and having to share one account.

Piracy is an issue. I think there's some way to get Quest games for free. I know you can side load games which I hope they don't block because some of those games don't make it to the Quest Store.
exitone
AG
Pman17 said:

Awesome! I saw this problem during Christmas. Friends and family getting Oculus Quest 2s and having to share one account.

Piracy is an issue. I think there's some way to get Quest games for free. I know you can side load games which I hope they don't block because some of those games don't make it to the Quest Store.

Yes. This is good. This means none of the idiots my oldest kid has friended bug me anymore when playing Vader Immortal.
I know a bit about side loading, but that sounds a bit sketchy for me. I will try and play FB nice and not get myself banned.
As a side comment, not sure if you know it but we are friends on XBox. I had created a Star Wars Battlefront TexAgs group on Xbox a few years ago, but never actually had any games scheduled. I'm Darth Ahsoka (all one word).
Phat32
AG
What is the lay of the land these days? I am looking to finally get in the game.

It seems like the Quest 2 is the economic option. What is the $$$ option?

Should I wait on something before entering?
Pman17
AG
yukmonkey said:

What is the lay of the land these days? I am looking to finally get in the game.

It seems like the Quest 2 is the economic option. What is the $$$ option?

Should I wait on something before entering?
No need to wait.
The best option is the Quest 2.
The Quest 3 probably won't be around till 2022.
I recommend getting the 256GB Version and Elite Strap.

I upgraded from the expensive Rift 1 which I think I spent about $800 on when adding on the touch controllers when they came out later. The Quest 1 didn't cut it on resolution and frame rate in comparison but the Quest 2 does and is much better. The Quest 2 runs on Android so it's basically an Android Phone inside a VR headset. Games are about mobile sized averaging from 1GB - 4GB. Battery life is a couple of hours on VR intensive games but honestly that's enough as you will get tired of it on your head. You can go longer by buying a long USB-C cable and high wattage power adapter or getting the expensive Elite Strap with Battery. It's Android so you can transfer movie files to the internal storage for travel hence the reason to get 256GB. It's not as locked as an Apple device so you can side load games that aren't on the Oculus Store, but now Facebook has allowed games that aren't eligible for the Oculus Store to be downloaded as early access on the Oculus Store. The system turns into a full PC VR rig when you plug it into a gaming PC and is just about as good as the PC Rift S now that higher frame rates have been unlocked with the software update. The downside for many is you have to have a Facebook account, but it's a nice way of signing in and you can switch users and share your games with other Facebook accounts setup on the device.

Where the Oculus Quest 2 is in comparison to other VR devices, think of the iPhone in terms of how great it was at the time 10 years ago. The Rift 1 was the first iPhone, amazing the only one (sorta, the clunky Vive was around) but expensive. The Quest 1 was the iPhone 3G, more accessible and affordable. The Quest 2 is the iPhone 4, everything we wanted the product to be.

Phat32
AG
My only experience has been with a high end PC and the original Oculus. I always wanted to wait until it was wireless and I do not have a high end PC.

So the Quest 2 ticks the wireless box, and it sounds like the difference in graphics does not outweigh the portability?
Pman17
AG
The Quest 2 is pretty much as good as the Rift in graphics because most of the popular games aren't graphics intensive. There's a few good ones that need a rig but you're not missing out on a whole lot.
KidDoc
AG
I had a well established patient's dad come in with a Population One shirt on Friday and took the leap to buy the game and ask him for his user ID since I have no RL friends who are dorks like me. I have only played 2 pop one matches so far but it seems pretty dang fun and I can see myself getting into it.

Toss me an invite if you play-- KidDoc99 on Oculus!
Pman17
AG
KidDoc said:

I had a well established patient's dad come in with a Population One shirt on Friday and took the leap to buy the game and ask him for his user ID since I have no RL friends who are dorks like me. I have only played 2 pop one matches so far but it seems pretty dang fun and I can see myself getting into it.

Toss me an invite if you play-- KidDoc99 on Oculus!

I'll add ya
Phat32
AG
Pman17 said:

The Quest 2 is pretty much as good as the Rift in graphics because most of the popular games aren't graphics intensive. There's a few good ones that need a rig but you're not missing out on a whole lot.
Does it still have the same motion tracking type things? Am I walking around in real life to simulate or is it all done via controller?
KidDoc
AG
yukmonkey said:

Pman17 said:

Does it still have the same motion tracking type things? Am I walking around in real life to simulate or is it all done via controller?
Depends on the game. Most of them you walk with controller but some are "room scale" where you actually walk around. PCVR with Quest 2- Eye of the Temple is the best room scale game I have found where basically your body is the controller.

It has the ability to just use your hands as controllers as well but not many titles are using it at this point.
KidDoc
AG
Pman and I had some good times on Population One last night. Actually won a few matches! Fun VR game when you have a team that works together.
tate504
AG
Setting up my quest 2 tonight or tomorrow. Anyone have a referral code they want to give for the $30 store credit?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.