Nerdery VR Thread

24,041 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Pman17
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

Woudn't bother with the Vive right now when gen 2 is coming out in Q3.
This plus it's a terrible time to buy a graphics card right now unless you camp out at a store that will actually sell them at MSRP and you catch them right after a delivery.
mhayden
So I'm a sucker for new tech so I went out and got myself a brand new PC (since building one with current vidcard prices would actually be just as expensive) and a Vive unit. Have had a blast the last 48 hours!
boy09
AG
Lots of PSVR games currently on sale on PSN.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSSPECIALS/1?gameType=vr_games
devastor
AG
Noob here...

So I bought a Dell Visor that looks like it runs on the Windows Mixed Reality platform. So apparently I can't use Stream VR or Oculus games on this? Does it have been from the Windows Store?

What am I missing here?
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Played Bravo Team last night with my son, very good for my long awaited Time Crisis cravings and well done in PSVR.
aggieforester05
AG
Why are used oculus rift units so cheap on eBay right now? What am I missing?
tamusc
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Why are used oculus rift units so cheap on eBay right now? What am I missing?
Because Oculus dropped the price on the Rift + Touch bundle to $399

I don't see any crazy deals on eBay much cheaper than that.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/oculus-rift-touch-virtual-reality-headset-bundle-for-compatible-windows-pcs/5989502.p?skuId=5989502&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=1153&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=bfbcae09-e406-4057-80b9-145b6e18fa86&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg271624&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=CjwKCAiA_ojVBRAlEiwAOLRxI-09SjjzKMH1pyHRH7UmK-6dkhOcnNfgwMK8W9Meurqp-IP5dpqhpxoCd7kQAvD_BwE
tamusc
AG
devastor said:

Noob here...

So I bought a Dell Visor that looks like it runs on the Windows Mixed Reality platform. So apparently I can't use Stream VR or Oculus games on this? Does it have been from the Windows Store?

What am I missing here?
You should be able to use SteamVR to play supported Steam games in addition to VR games on the Window Store. You won't be able to use it for anything exclusive to the Oculus platform.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality
devastor
AG
tamusc said:

devastor said:

Noob here...

What am I missing here?
You should be able to use SteamVR to play supported Steam games in addition to VR games on the Window Store. You won't be able to use it for anything exclusive to the Oculus platform.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality
Thanks!
Bregxit
AG
Thought you guys might like this...

mhayden
This tech is extremely exciting.
mhayden
Bumping the thread again to see if anyone has jumped into VR? As mentioned before, despite my childhood love for video games I can't play any regular video game for more than 5 minutes without getting bored -- but the VR tech absolutely engrosses me.

The new PiMax's are shipping so interested to see if anyone jumps in with one of those to give their input. I'm still using a (now wireless) Vive and loving it.
Tamu2000
AG
If you haven't already go get Pokerstars VR. Just came out a few days ago and is free. Pretty amazing, very engrossing but very addicting, can easily lose track of time and 4 hours later you are wondering how that just happened.
aggieforester05
AG
I wish I was, but I bricked windows trying to fix a DCS A-10 install. (BTW, the new DCS F/A-18 is incredible in VR). I've reinstalled windows and a fresh install of the oculus software, steam, DCS, and X-plane 11. Doesn't matter what I do the games hang up opening in VR. Really frustrating! On top of that Windows keeps bsod for various reasons and my browser keeps crashing. So much for fresh installs being a cure all.
bigtruckguy3500
I was planning on doing a build with a Ryzen 5 2600 and a Radeon 560/570ish type card, before playing on a VR machine today and realizing I'd like to be able to do that one mine.

That CPU/GPU pair and 16gb ram be sufficient for most VR stuff? Specifically flight simulator stuff? Best I can tell it meets minimum system requirements for both oculus and most the flight sims out there, but I just want to get a second opinion and make sure I'm not just barely skirting by.

tamusc
AG
The CPU and RAM are good. That level of GPU is okay for current VR, but just barely.

I'd look at something with a little more headroom like a 1070, which can be found for under $300 now.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/save-15-up-to-dollar100-on-ebay-items-today-including-this-gtx-1070/
bigtruckguy3500
Ugh. This build cost keeps creeping up. Maybe I'll hold out for some Christmas sales and see about recycling my old DVD burner.

Thanks for the help.

tamusc
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Ugh. This build cost keeps creeping up. Maybe I'll hold out for some Christmas sales and see about recycling my old DVD burner.

Thanks for the help.

Just FYI, an RX 570 is pretty much bare minimum and an RX 560 is below the minimum requirements that Oculus lists, which are definitely below what the higher end games require.

https://support.oculus.com/326247701060681/
aggieforester05
AG
I have an oculus rift and while it is certainly impressive when it's working, I'd caution against buying it. I recently bricked my windows install trying to get some old DCS games working. When I reinstalled fresh windows and installed Oculus software, I couldn't get my rift to work at all. My computer was also crashing constantly. I finally uninstalled the Oculus software. Now it will not reinstall and I've tried everything. Reading forums it looks like I might have to reinstall windows again to get the Oculus software to reinstall. Basically it doesn't like to reinstall once it been uninstalled. That's unacceptable to me. On top of that the computer hasn't crashed a single time since the Oculus software was uninstalled. I'd go Vive or Pimax if I was in the market.
bigtruckguy3500
Sounds like I need to learn more about graphics cards. I saw that the RX 480 was on their minimum list and figured "560 is several iterations above that".

And thanks for the info on the Oculus. I think I just need to get more in depth into researching all of this. Been out of the game for a while now.
tamusc
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Sounds like I need to learn more about graphics cards. I saw that the RX 480 was on their minimum list and figured "560 is several iterations above that".

And thanks for the info on the Oculus. I think I just need to get more in depth into researching all of this. Been out of the game for a while now.

The 480 is a significantly more powerful card than a 560. The 480 is one generation older, but it's two tiers above the 560 in terms of performance. The 580 is only about 10-15% faster (in a best case scenario) than the 480. Definitely check out comparative GPU reviews before buying anything as the GPU makers have gone crazy with various rebranding and marketing schemes that make it very difficult for an uninformed consumer know exactly what they're buying.

Personally I haven't run into issues uninstalling and reinstalling the Oculus software and have done it multiple times on my system without reinstalling Windows 10. That includes doing a complete system upgrade (motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU) without reinstalling Windows. If anything, the Oculus software has gotten significantly better and more robust over the last two years, at least for me.
bigtruckguy3500
What are your thoughts on used/refurbished graphics cards on ebay? I'd be concerned someone selling something like a 1070/580 or better may have overclocked their card and/or "abused" it. And what about some of the lower tier brands like PowerColor?

As much as I'd like to run VR, I'm having a hard time justifying spending $300 on a GPU. But maybe spend once cry once?
tamusc
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

What are your thoughts on used/refurbished graphics cards on ebay? I'd be concerned someone selling something like a 1070/580 or better may have overclocked their card and/or "abused" it. And what about some of the lower tier brands like PowerColor?

As much as I'd like to run VR, I'm having a hard time justifying spending $300 on a GPU. But maybe spend once cry once?
If it's an NVIDIA GPU, especially a 10 series, the voltages are pretty well locked down (cranking up the voltage is what would really shorten the lifespan of the GPU). Running most modern GPUs above stock frequency isn't really an issue, since that's what the various GPU boost schemes from both AMD and NVIDIA do at stock anyway. The GPU frequencies are limited by power and heat automatically, unless you mod the card, to prevent damage to the GPU while maximizing performance.

The bigger concern with a used GPU is actually the fan dying, though even if you buy a card that was used 24/7 for mining there will still likely be years left on the fan. At that point, you still have a few options in terms of replacing the fan, if possible, or replacing the entire cooler with something else, both of which will be considerably less than a new GPU. The other thing about a card that was used in mining is that it was probably run with an undervolt to improve power efficiency, which also reduces that wear on the power components as well as the actual GPU.

PowerColor is a decent brand with a decent warranty if you're buying new. They're a solid mid-tier AMD partner.

Also, if you're buying off of eBay, don't buy some unbranded GPU from one of the Chinese sellers and don't buy anything that has a VGA port on it. They soft mod the cards so that they show up on your system as a new card, but it's really a much older GPU. The one's I've seen are pretty easy to spot due to the VGA ports, which no modern GPU (meant for gaming) available in the US has.
Boiling Denim
*Bump for Oculus Quest release*

As a 34 year old gamer that started with the NES I let the first gen of VR pass me by mainly due to not wanting to invest in a gaming PC. I started seeing some videos posted about the Oculus Quest and it's all in one functionality and it really resolved my main hangup

So I said eff it and stopped by Best Buy last night and picked one up.

That giddy feeling when playing a game has come few and far between the last decade or so. Small moments like the Destiny VoG raid, MW2 campaign etc but that feeling hit like a Mac Truck last night and I only got through the startup sequence and played a couple demos

Holy crap what an experience!
Pman17
AG
I hope Vader Immortal comes to Rift 1. Kind of a let down it's only on Quest. I just hope they don't phase out the Rift 1 over Rift S.
Pman17
AG
Anyone excited for this? coming to Steam and PSVR
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
I seriously look forward to one day being immersed in a VR RPG from a studio like CD Projekt Red.

Just me, an IV drip, an adult diaper and an open world.

But I don't think the current VR technology is that great. And it's not yet economically viable for a publisher to invest $200 million, plus for a AAA VR title. Won't be for a very long time.

I might buy a VR set up for the Playstation 5 but I doubt it. Whatever cloud based service follows the next/last console generation is the soonest I'd consider it.
Proposition Joe
We're not that far away. Skyrim VR was essentially just a regular title "conversions" and it looked pretty good. Pricing points for the higher end models will continue to come down.

Most people I talked to who weren't really wowed by what VR is doing right now had their experiences on one of the entry level models (Oculus, PSVR, etc...).

The immersion level between those and your wireless Vive, PIMAX and (soon to be) Index are like comparing Wii graphics to the PS4.
aggiebq03+
Bought a Rift S after being stuck overseas for 3 weeks and starting to research a new toy. Couldn't help myself and picked one up for when I got back.

Man what an experience! Kids and wife love Beat Saber. Almost fell off my chair playing VTOL the first time when I banked hard. Moss is something I never imagined when thinking what a VR game might be like.

Even my mom loved trying out the first steps demo and played around for about 20 minutes when she tried it out. Which says a lot about how great VR really is. Just immersive and fun.
hunter2012
AG
Pulled trigger on the Valve Index, I saw a story that they've caught up production so I figured why not. I've only messed with the developer Oculus in the ancient times(2013), so I'm very much out of the loop. Anyone have recommendations? Beat Saber, and Blade & Sorcery look fun. What else do yall got?
Proposition Joe
SuperHot is a blast.

Let me know how you like the Knuckles -- I almost pulled trigger on the Index today but I'm holding out for the wireless announcement -- I have a wireless Vive and even though the Index is a significantly better headset, I just can't go back to tethered.
AggieChemE09
AG
I own the oculus rift and I just picked up the Oculus Quest a few weeks ago.

It is a huge step forward in VR. Having to wires is great. Setting up a new play area can be done in seconds. The tracking of the controllers has increased my BeatSaber scores across the board. With some light modding I was able to get my custom tracks for beat saber into my quest. As soon as they allow the quest to be used with a PC, allowing me to play Elite Dangerous on it, I will have nothing else to ask for.
aggieforester05
AG
Is the quest supposed to get functionality up to rift s standards at some point? I have a rift and a go 64GB and I love them both for different reasons, but am open to an upgrade soon.
Philip J Fry
AG
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Valve and a new PC. How much do you guys actually use the VR stuff? I'm a little concerned at throwing thousands at this just for it to gather dust.
aggieforester05
AG
Depends on what you want to do. For me most of the stuff is novelty, but I really should use it more. For racing and flight sim it's a game changer. Once you go VR with those sims, you don't go back. I wish there was more video content but it's getting better. One downside is that you need to be standing up for 180-360 VR content. I do really like to watch Netflix in travel mode on my oculus go though. You can lay in any position and truly relax.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.