Titans Vintage Unis

6,789 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by MookieBlaylock
SPF250
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Titans are rockin the vintage Oilers Love Ya Blue unis versus the Falcons. Not sure whether to love that or despise it for the hypocrisy that it is.
aggiephoenix02
Despise it…
RogerFurlong
Great uniforms. Hilarious that Tennessee is wearing them.
ClickClack
AG
Irrationally angers me that they are wearing throwbacks of the Houston Oilers after moving to Tennessee. That makes zero sense. Would be like the Baltimore Ravens wearing Cleveland Browns throwbacks.
SPF250
AG
Hence my question.
ClickClack
AG
Part of why it pisses me off so much is that they are fantastic uniforms and I wish we were the Oilers still instead of the Texans.
SPF250
AG
The field also has a giant Derrick logo at mid field and helmet / logos on the wall surrounding the field. I'm going with despising it.
The Porkchop Express
If I had one wish, I would wish Bud Adams back to life so I could kill him.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I mean the oilers fans didn't care when they left so why care now?

They have that amazing team name now
redag06
MookieBlaylock said:

Not enough blue stars can be given to this statement, people didn't care, but now with nostalgia they seem to care.
RogerFurlong
Apparently the NFL is blocking UH from wearing their Oiler's knock off jerseys and the Titans are planning on wearing them against the Texans December 17th.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38780023/sources-nfl-told-houston-stop-using-oilers-inspired-uniform
aggiephoenix02
Haha, BURN!
pagerman @ work
AG
RogerFurlong said:

Apparently the NFL is blocking UH from wearing their Oiler's knock off jerseys and the Titans are planning on wearing them against the Texans December 17th.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38780023/sources-nfl-told-houston-stop-using-oilers-inspired-uniform

The NFL can tell UH whatever they would like, but they would have to make it stand up in court, and I can guarantee that UH had their lawyers vet the uniforms for anything resembling copyright infringement prior to ordering them. There is no derrick, nothing says "Oilers", so they are pinning their claim on a color scheme. You can't claim a certain shade of blue on anything related to the city of Houston is owned by the Titans in perpetuity. I really hope UH calls their bluff.

One day the odious offspring of the despicable bud adams will die and the next generation will go back to their biologically determined white trash legacy and start burning through money and will be willing to sell the right to the oilers name in order to obtain one more meth high and Houston will get its legacy back.
MelvinUdall
MookieBlaylock said:

Revisionist history….
Mr.Bond
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Simply not true. Learn history
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Woods Ag
AG
Care to explain the history?

I was a bit too young to be fully aware of what happened. My dad loved the Oilers and said good riddance when they left.

I know there was a dispute about a stadium, but I don't know the details.
The Porkchop Express
Woods Ag said:

Care to explain the history?

I was a bit too young to be fully aware of what happened. My dad loved the Oilers and said good riddance when they left.

I know there was a dispute about a stadium, but I don't know the details.
Bud Adams had been wanting to move the team for a while, largely because the Astrodome wasn't built for luxury boxes and club-level seating, which newer stadiums were incorporating in the 80s and early 90s. He threatened to move the team to Jacksonville in 1987, and got those idiots to build a stadium for it, but the city acquiesed him by gutting the Astrodome of its best feature, the scoreboard, to make room for more seating that he could sell at a premium, and upping the capacity to 60,000.

Since he was on the NFL finance committee, he saw what kind of deal the Rams got when they moved from LA to St. Louis and wanted something similar. Adams told the City of Houston he'd pay $85 million for a new stadium, but they'd have to pay the other $195 million.

In 1993, the Oilers had the epic playoff collapse to Buffalo, and right at the beginning of the 1994 calendar year, they choked against Kansas City in the playoffs.

In the 1994 preseason, he found his get out of jail free card, when a preseason game between the Oilers and Chargers at the Dome was cancelled because the turf was found to be "unsafe". That announcement was made barely an hour before the game started and was the catalyst for Adams to escape his lease and start considering a move.

The Oilers went 2-14 in the 1994 season. Adam asked for a new stadium downtown and Bob Lanier said no flat out, because he knew the voters would never approve of it. Nashville had tried to lure the New Jersey Devils unsuccessfully, but its mayor knew football would be a much bigger hit than hockey, so he approached Adams about the move.

In 1995, the Oilers were better, but most fans were still pissed at Adams for a million reasons, still reeling from those playoff losses, and pissed that we had drafted Steve McNair but didn't play him until the last 2 games of the year, and then realized he was awesome.

Nashville's county approved $80 million to build a $292 million downtown stadium, practice facility and the cost of relocating by a 59%-41% rate.

Even though Houston was the 11th largest TV market and Nashville 33rd, the good old boy owners voted 23-6-1 to approve the move.

Adams bought out the last year of the lease to move to Nashville for the '97 season. The Oilers last year, they went 8-8. I went to two of their home games, including the final one, which I think had an attendance of like 21,000 or so.

The only silver lining is that had they not left, the Astros probably would have. They were being courted to move to Washington D.C. and the voters approved a tax on hotels and rent-a-cars to pay the money to get Uncle Drayton a downtown park.

Mr.Bond
AG
Adams made countless threats to leave unless the city renovated and expanded the Dome. Which was done per his wishes. No less than 2 years later he started campaigning and threatening to leave if a new tax payer funded stadium wasnt built all while we were just TWO years into the recently approved bond to pay for his renovations.... paid for by the tax payers. Bud was a narcissistic piece of **** and I am glad hes gone but the name and history absolutely should have stayed in the city it was created in. Plain and simple
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MookieBlaylock
AG
4 fans showed up at the Save the Oilers rally

Meanwhile in Cleveland the fans were pissed and rallied and kept their name and history in tact

That is simply true Oilers fans didn't care
The Porkchop Express
MookieBlaylock said:

Meanwhile in Cleveland the fans were pissed and rallied and kept their name and history in tact

Please stop writing bull*****

They didn't advertise the rally to save the Oilers and very few people knew about it. Thousands upon thousands of Oiler fans cared, but most of us weren't going to give money to Bud Adams and get down on our knees to beg hi to stay.
MelvinUdall
MookieBlaylock said:

Again, revisionist history.
MookieBlaylock
AG
MelvinUdall said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Again, revisionist history.

You keep saying revisionist, but I don't think you know what that means

SBJ Sports Business Journal)
Menu
FRANCHISES
WHO LUVS YA, BLUE? WELL, ABOUT 50 PEOPLE

Only 50 Oilers fans gathered Wednesday at Houston's City
Hall in a "last-ditch" effort to keep the Oilers in Houston,
according to the HOUSTON CHRONICLE. Armando Villafranca writes
that most of the rally's speakers blamed city officials,
including Mayor Bob Lanier, and business leaders for not doing
enough to keep the team in Houston. According to Marci Foster of
the "Houston Oilers Mammas and Pappas," a group of older fans who
greet the players at every home game as they enter the Astrodome,
Lanier told team supporters they "had one shot at him and that
was December 6." Foster added, "Today's a workday and its just
so hard for people to get off." She said the Mammas and Pappas
had launched a petition drive in hopes of delivering 5,000
signatures to Oilers Owner Bud Adams by December 20 to show him
he has support in Houston (HOUSTON CHRONICLE, 12/7). ESPN
reported 65 people showed. Bob Ley: "To set the record
straight, there are two million people that live in Houston. As
one said fan said at the rally -- and he didn't have to raise his
voice to say this -- 'If Sam Houston were alive today, he'd kick
some butt.' He'd have had plenty of room to do it"
("SportsCenter," 12/6).

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/1995/12/07/Franchises/WHO-LUVS-YA-BLUE-WELL-ABOUT-50-PEOPLE.aspx
The Porkchop Express
It was poorly promoted by fans, and only a handful showed up. The media used it as an example of how few still cared about the Oilers.

https://www.chron.com/local/history/sports/article/How-the-Oilers-left-Houston-and-set-the-stage-for-9171976.php

The "rally to save the Oilers" was held after Bud Adams had already entered exclusive bidding rights with Nashville. It was held 3 days before Nashville held its referendum to build the stadium, the practice facility, and a new downtown area that cost $292 million ($573 million in today's dollars).

The fans that organized it wanted to collect 5,000 signatures to send to Bud Adams asking him to stay in Houston. Do you really think that was going to work? That Ebeneezer Adams would see the 5,000 names and say, hell, screw Nashville, 5,000 want me to stay!

Not sure why you keep banging this drum, ignorant or just being an a-hole? Both? IDK, but it's really pathetic.
MookieBlaylock
AG
My point has always been they could have kept the history and uniforms of the team but no one cared
And most were happy Bud Adams left with the team

Cleveland set the precedent of jeep ng your name and history And Houston didn't care

Mr.Bond
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

My point has always been they could have kept the history and uniforms of the team but no one cared

Cleveland set the precedent of jeep ng your name and history And Houston didn't care

Again just factually incorrect. Like talking to a fence post

The Porkchop Express
MookieBlaylock said:

Prove what you're saying with verifiable facts or statistics.

Modell tried to move the Browns to Ravens and that failed.

The City of Cleveland sued Modell for breach of contract for trying to move the team. The city of Cleveland was able to keep the rights to the Browns' name / records because the NFL intervened, deactivated the franchise for 3 years based oh the contingency that the Browns build a new stadium in downtown within 3 years. Modell was then awarded an expansion franchise - the Baltimore Ravens.

Art Modell never moved the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore. The team was deactivated on contingency of building a new stadium in 3 years.

Bud Adams' deal with Harris County ended at the end of 1997. He opted not to renew, then bought out the last year of the lease to get the Oilers to Tennessee faster. What he did was unfortunately legal, and the NFL didn't have to interfere because he wasn't trying to break a contract. Thus there was no opportunity for the team to keep the naming rights, records, uniforms, or anything else.

In 1998 when the Oilers officially became the TItans, Bud Adams got on his knees and sucked off Tagliabue to convince him to retire the Oiler name forever, specifically to keep a future Houston franchise from using it.

Looking forward to your next post full of untrue bull*****

_lefraud_
AG
Sounds like the A&M marketing department was in charge of saving the blue in 1995.
falcon09
AG
I was only 9 the Oilers last season in Houston, so I had no say in whether or not we supported the team by going to games or "Save the Oilers" rallies. I just knew it sucked that my team was going to some other city. I hate that Tennessee gets to use the name even though it was a hold over that they have no connection with.

Maybe when the Adams family is done with the Titans or are desperate for some money they can reach a deal like Charlotte and New Orleans did in the NBA.
CoppellAg93
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Prove what you're saying with verifiable facts or statistics.

Modell tried to move the Browns to Ravens and that failed.

The City of Cleveland sued Modell for breach of contract for trying to move the team. The city of Cleveland was able to keep the rights to the Browns' name / records because the NFL intervened, deactivated the franchise for 3 years based oh the contingency that the Browns build a new stadium in downtown within 3 years. Modell was then awarded an expansion franchise - the Baltimore Ravens.

Art Modell never moved the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore. The team was deactivated on contingency of building a new stadium in 3 years.

Bud Adams' deal with Harris County ended at the end of 1997. He opted not to renew, then bought out the last year of the lease to get the Oilers to Tennessee faster. What he did was unfortunately legal, and the NFL didn't have to interfere because he wasn't trying to break a contract. Thus there was no opportunity for the team to keep the naming rights, records, uniforms, or anything else.

In 1998 when the Oilers officially became the TItans, Bud Adams got on his knees and sucked off Tagliabue to convince him to retire the Oiler name forever, specifically to keep a future Houston franchise from using it.

Looking forward to your next post full of untrue bull*****

That should put that argument to rest.
jimmyp
AG
**** Bud Adams.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bang. Screw you, Tennessee.

(Throwback unis are great, but wear them against someone besides Houston.)
halfastros81
AG
That sentiment is precisely why Houston couldn't bring themselves to care . Adams was a ******.

Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
Eike Mlko
ClickClack said:

Irrationally angers me that they are wearing throwbacks of the Houston Oilers after moving to Tennessee. That makes zero sense. Would be like the Baltimore Ravens wearing Cleveland Browns throwbacks.
chiefs wear Dallas Texans throwbacks sometimes.
scd88
AG
VS the Cowboys?
Eike Mlko
scd88 said:

VS the Cowboys?
that wouldn't make a difference. The Texans left and the cowboys stayed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.