Titans Vintage Unis

6,787 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by MookieBlaylock
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You didn't answer the question.

Would they/did they wear them versus the Cowboys? I don't know the answer; that why I'm asking.

ETA - and if you don't think this was an intentional move just to troll, I don't know what to tell you. The TN head coach rolled into the stadium wearing a cowboy hat thinking he was Bum Phillips.
Eike Mlko
scd88 said:

Would they/did they wear them versus the Cowboys? I don't know the answer; that why I'm asking.

ETA - and if you don't think this was an intentional move just to troll, I don't know what to tell you. The TN head coach rolled into the stadium wearing a cowboy hat thinking he was Bum Phillips.
I swear y'all are so sensitive. Like I said it would not matter if they wore them against the cowboys. The cowboys didn't leave, the Texans did.

I personally think it would be cool. If you are offended by them doing it then I don't know what to tell you.

The jets did it against the titans a few years ago and the jets were going by the "titans" and it confused everyone
Buford T. Justice
AG
The Oiler fans did not want the team to be moved.
Once it was declared that the team was moving, and that there was nothing that could be done to stop it, yes, some people started rooting for another team.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
scd88
AG
Eike Mlko said:

scd88 said:

I swear y'all are so sensitive. Like I said it would not matter if they wore them against the cowboys. The cowboys didn't leave, the Texans did.

I personally think it would be cool. If you are offended by them doing it then I don't know what to tell you.

The jets did it against the titans a few years ago and the jets were going by the "titans" and it confused everyone

You have completely missed the intent of why the Adams family owned TN team did this. You're obviously not a Houston guy, so you wouldn't understand.

LB12Diamond
AG
SPF250 said:

The field also has a giant Derrick logo at mid field and helmet / logos on the wall surrounding the field. I'm going with despising it.

Nashville Tennessee. The epitome of the oil industry.

Yes, it's beyond silly that the Adams family is this petty.

My understanding is they own the rights to the Derrick logo and Oilers name.

Well the Texans should be able to do similar colors and just use a bull combined with a derrick.

My thoughts are the Texans messed up at the start naming the team the Texans. One, it had already been used so it was not like it had any originality. Too similar to cowboys for me.

They should have picked something that tied it back to the oil industry. Plenty of solid choices and do a similar color combination as the Oilers. Heck, our colors now are pretty close, just a darker blue.
fc2112
scd88 said:

VS the Cowboys?
Yes, but it was kinda cool. Cowboy fans had no connection to the Texans unless they were +70 years old. Cowboys wore their 1960's throwbacks too.

Wearing the Oilers uniforms - and dressing the stadium out in Oilers logos - just seemed mean spirited against the Texans.
scd88
AG
Ah, good picture. Thanks.
RogerFurlong
Glad the Texans won the game. I thought the chiefs wearing the Texans uniform was cool and not disrespectful at all. The Oilers was clearly to spite the city of Houston. I'm surprised Gooddell allowed it. I'm sure it helped ratings though.
ac
RogerFurlong said:

Glad the Texans won the game. I thought the chiefs wearing the Texans uniform was cool and not disrespectful at all. The Oilers was clearly to spite the city of Houston. I'm surprised Gooddell allowed it. I'm sure it helped ratings though.
No real difference there. Per the NFL TV maps, the game was only shown in Texas, Tennessee and a few surrounding TV markets like Shreveport & Huntsville, AL. And anyone who watched can tell you that it wasn't the highest quality announcing crew calling the game. The Texans still haven't hit the big time yet.
ac
HarryRocket
That move was 100% on brand for the Adams franchise
halfastros81
AG
It''s disrespectful to the Texans and to Houstonians and former Oilers fans in general. Granted anyone under 40 probably doesn't care. There's pretty much nothing that can be done about it tho except what the Texans did … stick it to them on the field altho even that had little to do with the whole Oilers thing.

It''s nobody's fault but the Adams family. I doubt Tennessee fans have much affinity for the Oilers label nor legacy. I will say this , Doing it playing anyone except the Texans is ok in my mind but it's just spitting in the face of anyone that was ever an Oilers fan to do so against the Texans.
ac
halfastros81 said:

It''s disrespectful to the Texans and to Houstonians and former Oilers fans in general. Granted anyone under 40 probably doesn't care. There's pretty much nothing that can be done about it tho except what the Texans did … stick it to them on the field altho even that had little to do with the whole Oilers thing.

It''s nobody's fault but the Adams family. I doubt Tennessee fans have much affinity for the Oilers label nor legacy. I will say this , Doing it playing anyone except the Texans is ok in my mind but it's just spitting in the face of anyone that was ever an Oilers fan to do so against the Texans.
And having the end zones/sidelines decorated with the Oilers name was also a little overboard. Why would fans in Tennessee want to see that when they've been accustomed to their team being the Titans for the last 25 years?
ac
ac
fc2112 said:

scd88 said:

VS the Cowboys?
Yes, but it was kinda cool. Cowboy fans had no connection to the Texans unless they were +70 years old. Cowboys wore their 1960's throwbacks too.

Wearing the Oilers uniforms - and dressing the stadium out in Oilers logos - just seemed mean spirited against the Texans.
How many people in Dallas still even remember the AFL Texans? And amongst those, how many of them are still bitter about the team leaving? Does anyone in Big D have any anger towards Lamar Hunt or his son Clark? Comparing that to what Amy Adams Strunk did are apples & oranges.
ac
_lefraud_
AG
The Texans (AFL) and Cowboys (NFL) both started in 1960. After realizing the Texans (and AFL) couldn't compete with the Cowboys, Hunt moved the team to KC.

There's nothing for Dallas folks to resent.
dixichkn
AG
Except that you're a bunch of arrogant, disrespectful A holes. At least own the fact that y'all are only on this thread to sh** on Houston and Texans fans. Unconcerned about facts, which have been presented repeatedly here to a deaf audience

Metroplexuals act so much like sips it's uncanny. "America's Team" = "We're Texas"
RogerFurlong
I think you're wrong at the wrong city. It was the Titans who wore the Oilers jerseys not the Cowboys.
dixichkn
AG
RogerFurlong said:

I think you're wrong at the wrong city. It was the Titans who wore the Oilers jerseys not the Cowboys.
I haven't seen any Titans fans in this thread. Just some boys fans trying to make it about them. Which they are always wont to do.
rackmonster
AG
_lefraud_ said:

The Texans (AFL) and Cowboys (NFL) both started in 1960. After realizing the Texans (and AFL) couldn't compete with the Cowboys, Hunt moved the team to KC.

Here's a little known fact. Both teams played in the Cotton Bowl. In their final season there in 1962, the AFL Texans outdrew the NFL Cowboys in attendance.

Prior to 1960, the NFL had no interest in expansion...then, they decided the strangle the AFL in the cradle. Immediately put a franchise in Dallas, then announced a franchise in Minnesota to start in 1961. Minnesota was slated to be one of the 8 original AFL teams. But the AFL pulled out. That franchise became the Denver Broncos.
rackmonster
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Once it was declared that the team was moving, and that there was nothing that could be done to stop it, yes, some people started rooting for another team.
I'm old enough to remember the early days of the AFL. the Oilers were GOOD, and their signing of Billy Cannon brought the entire league credibility. But from the mid-60s until the mid 70s with the coming of Luv Ya Blue, the Oilers were just a flat out dog of a franchise.
In 1972, I show up at A&M. I grew up an Eagles fan, so no way I could root for Dallas, just not in my DNA. So I adopted the Oilers. Gotta remember, in 1972, there was no NFL Network, no Direct TV. No Sunday Night, or Thursday night. No Internet streaming. There was Monday Night, but because the Eagles suck so bad (as did the Oilers) they were hardly ever on Monday night. So I adopted the Oilers, and I felt right at home. What was kinda off putting was the fact that almost none of my fish buds from Houston, there were tons of them, rooted for the Oilers. They were all Cowboy fans. They didn't care at all about their home town team. It was so bad that when the Oilers were at home, they would ask the local CBS affiliate to black out the Dallas game. If not everybody would stay home and watch the Cowboys instead of going to the Astrodome and see the Oilers.
It was exciting watching the Oilers rise up under Bum Phillips. Those late 70s Oilers were just a great team. Their only sin was being in the AFC Central with Pittsburgh. Had the Oilers been in the NFC, they would have played in maybe 2 or 3 Super Bowls.

OBTW...this is a HORRIFIC collapse by the Eagles. This came out of NOWHERE. If Dallas wins in Washington, which they will, and we lose to the Giants in the Meadowlands (very possible) we're still in the playoffs, but we gotta play all our games on the road. Horrific collapse.
ac
rackmonster said:

_lefraud_ said:

Here's a little known fact. Both teams played in the Cotton Bowl. In their final season there in 1962, the AFL Texans outdrew the NFL Cowboys in attendance.

Prior to 1960, the NFL had no interest in expansion...then, they decided the strangle the AFL in the cradle. Immediately put a franchise in Dallas, then announced a franchise in Minnesota to start in 1961. Minnesota was slated to be one of the 8 original AFL teams. But the AFL pulled out. That franchise became the Denver Broncos.
The Cowboys & Texans had roughly equal sized fan bases and drew right around the same attendance figures in the Cotton Bowl. The difference was in road game revenue. The Cowboys could travel to Cleveland, New York or Philadelphia and return home with a nice payout. The Texans had no such luxury in the AFL and lost the battle there.

But concerning the original purpose of this thread, it wasn't a coincidence that the Titans decided to wear the Columbia Blue pants at NRG yesterday. That was a lighter version of wearing the Oilers throwbacks to get back at Houston.
ac
ac
rackmonster said:

Buford T. Justice said:

I'm old enough to remember the early days of the AFL. the Oilers were GOOD, and their signing of Billy Cannon brought the entire league credibility. But from the mid-60s until the mid 70s with the coming of Luv Ya Blue, the Oilers were just a flat out dog of a franchise.
In 1972, I show up at A&M. I grew up an Eagles fan, so no way I could root for Dallas, just not in my DNA. So I adopted the Oilers. Gotta remember, in 1972, there was no NFL Network, no Direct TV. No Sunday Night, or Thursday night. No Internet streaming. There was Monday Night, but because the Eagles suck so bad (as did the Oilers) they were hardly ever on Monday night. So I adopted the Oilers, and I felt right at home. What was kinda off putting was the fact that almost none of my fish buds from Houston, there were tons of them, rooted for the Oilers. They were all Cowboy fans. They didn't care at all about their home town team. It was so bad that when the Oilers were at home, they would ask the local CBS affiliate to black out the Dallas game. If not everybody would stay home and watch the Cowboys instead of going to the Astrodome and see the Oilers.
It was exciting watching the Oilers rise up under Bum Phillips. Those late 70s Oilers were just a great team. Their only sin was being in the AFC Central with Pittsburgh. Had the Oilers been in the NFC, they would have played in maybe 2 or 3 Super Bowls.

OBTW...this is a HORRIFIC collapse by the Eagles. This came out of NOWHERE. If Dallas wins in Washington, which they will, and we lose to the Giants in the Meadowlands (very possible) we're still in the playoffs, but we gotta play all our games on the road. Horrific collapse.
One issue was that before 1973, all home games were blacked out on local TV. In other words, the Cowboys showed up on Houston TV 14 times a year, while the Oilers only could for 7. Plus, there was the perception that the AFL was inferior to the NFL. Many people who grew up in Houston during those years became Cowboy fans for those 2 reasons.
ac
Kenneth_2003
AG
LB12Diamond said:

SPF250 said:

The field also has a giant Derrick logo at mid field and helmet / logos on the wall surrounding the field. I'm going with despising it.

Well the Texans should be able to do similar colors and just use a bull combined with a derrick.

My thoughts are the Texans messed up at the start naming the team the Texans. One, it had already been used so it was not like it had any originality. Too similar to cowboys for me.

They should have picked something that tied it back to the oil industry. Plenty of solid choices and do a similar color combination as the Oilers. Heck, our colors now are pretty close, just a darker blue.
Houston Oilers were an AFL team, so taking the AFL Texans name back to Houston has some 6 degrees of closure to it.

Couldn't use the old Oilers colors. The Adams, in their unending pettiness, retained the rights to those colors also even though they had no plans to use them in TN.

Hell, they sent UH a cease and desist this year after they pulled outa Columbia Blue and Red "Houston" uniform. I liked UH's response with a photo of an old school HPD cruiser. UH should have made that their uniform for the whole season in my opinion.

Also notice yesterday the Titans wore a Columbia Blue pant to Houston yesterday for their butt whipping.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

Also notice yesterday the Titans wore a Columbia Blue pant to Houston yesterday for their butt whipping.
Which was beautiful. And richly deserved. Put some lipstick on what was otherwise a pig of a week.

Now…….go Wisconsin and Washington
ac
Kenneth_2003 said:

LB12Diamond said:

SPF250 said:

Houston Oilers were an AFL team, so taking the AFL Texans name back to Houston has some 6 degrees of closure to it.

Couldn't use the old Oilers colors. The Adams, in their unending pettiness, retained the rights to those colors also even though they had no plans to use them in TN.

Hell, they sent UH a cease and desist this year after they pulled outa Columbia Blue and Red "Houston" uniform. I liked UH's response with a photo of an old school HPD cruiser. UH should have made that their uniform for the whole season in my opinion.

Bud Adams had intended to continue to have the team be the Tennessee Oilers, but the league office stepped in and insisted that the name & colors be changed as they felt that Oilers didn't fit well in TN. The concession was that the Oilers name & colors be retired. Specifically, Bud didn't want a potential future team in Houston to use them.
ac
agproducer
AG
Texans are supposed to be using H-Town blue as an accent for their new uniforms. They are supposed to be revealed the week of the NFL Draft.

I'd like to see alternative Oilers colors with red being primary, white being secondary and H-Town blue being the accent.
ac
agproducer said:

Texans are supposed to be using H-Town blue as an accent for their new uniforms. They are supposed to be revealed the week of the NFL Draft.

I'd like to see alternative Oilers colors with red being primary, white being secondary and H-Town blue being the accent.
Per https://uni-watch.com the Oilers style blue is only going to be an accent color. The bullhead logo will remain the same.
ac
MookieBlaylock
AG
never understood the sip logo
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.