Job Network
Sponsored by

Asking tough questions of interviewer

2,273 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BenTheGoodAg
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a professional way to ask a prospective employer potentially tough questions that won't get you disqualified?

Example question..... Did you force employees to get the covid shot?

Edit..... Im not currently interviewing. Just a thought that popped into my head.
ABATTBQ87
AG

Quote:

What is the company policy regarding COVID-19 vaccinations?
bmks270
AG
Last job I took, after getting the offer, I asked if they would ever make vaccination mandatory.

AJ02
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Quote:

This seems like the best option. Because they won't know from which side you're asking from. Are you asking because you're concerned about COVID? Or are you asking because you're anti-mandate? No way for them to know.
Ag_07
AG
COVID vacs are still a thing?
chjoak
AG
Ag_07 said:

COVID vacs are still a thing?
For some. Personally, my concern would be whether I was choosing to work for a company that had forced their employees into previously. Gives you an idea how they might react when a bird flu (or whatever comes next) vax gets shoved down our throats.
AggieOO
ABATTBQ87 said:

Quote:

best way to ask, but at the same time, its a pretty transparent what is being asked. Those who were on board with the vax don't care if the company mandated it. They were going to get it anyway and likely were ok with a company mandate.

That said, maybe the interviewer was also against the policy and it would play in your favor. But either way, they will know exactly why you are asking.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
chjoak said:

As a retired hiring sales manager for a Fortune 100 company, my response would be an open ended question,,,,Why would you ask that question?

It would tell me a lot......and your use of the word "force" would not place you on the top of the candidates list.

We have finally stopped Medicare Joe B 6/27/2024
Seamaster
AG
Joe Schillaci 48 said:

chjoak said:

As a retired hiring sales manager for a Fortune 100 company, my response would be an open ended question,,,,Why would you ask that question?

It would tell me a lot......and your use of the word "force" would not place you on the top of the candidates list.

But 'forcing' is exactly what a lot of employers did to their employees.

I left a company (a big giant insurance company) in mid 2022, in part, because they tried to FORCE to the C19 shots on their employees. Awful.

And I joined a different company, slightly smaller, and after I got the offer I asked the HR person straight up, "So, with Covid, did the company mandate anything from their employees?" And the answer was, "No, we didn't..."

Had they said, "Yes, we mandated the shot" than I would have rejected the offer.

So, I wouldn't lead with that issue but if its important to you (like its important to me) than you should find out after you get the offer in a calm/non aggressive way.
tomtomdrumdrum
AG
chjoak said:

Is there a professional way to ask a prospective employer potentially tough questions that won't get you disqualified?

Edit..... Im not currently interviewing. Just a thought that popped into my head.

lol employers love antagonists that just want to stir old **** up for no reason
ATM9000
AG
Seamaster said:

Joe Schillaci 48 said:

chjoak said:

But 'forcing' is exactly what a lot of employers did to their employees.

I left a company (a big giant insurance company) in mid 2022, in part, because they tried to FORCE to the C19 shots on their employees. Awful.

And I joined a different company, slightly smaller, and after I got the offer I asked the HR person straight up, "So, with Covid, did the company mandate anything from their employees?" And the answer was, "No, we didn't..."

Had they said, "Yes, we mandated the shot" than I would have rejected the offer.

So, I wouldn't lead with that issue but if its important to you (like its important to me) than you should find out after you get the offer in a calm/non aggressive way.
If you left the company (notice you didn't say fired), then yes… they might have mandated you get the shot but sounds like they didn't try to force you to get it… else, you'd have been fired.
Naveronski
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Quote:

Even dropping the word vaccinations is helpful.

When COVID first started, my company paid for you to be out two weeks if you caught it or were exposed. Didn't take it out of PTO.

So the policy can be about more than just the jab.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
ABATT is on point asking about a policy. Personally, I'd save most of the policy questions for the HR recruiter and use the time with the hiring manager to ask work environment questions.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.