Job Network
Sponsored by

Discuss: get vax or get fired

12,407 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ark03
AJ02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I work for a medical device manufacturer. 20k+ employees worldwide. We're having a really, really hard time finding employees for our production lines here in Houston. Management knows it, and so far they've taken a "wait and see" approach on the mandates. They haven't been aggressive or pushy about any of it.

But I think on my team of about 20 of us, I'm the only one left that hasn't yet been vaccinated. I'm not fully vested in my retirement yet so if I walk, I lose tens of thousands of dollars. And this company pays really, really well with excellent benefits.

I'm going to go the weekly testing route if it comes down to it. Make it as difficult for them as possible and put off vaccination as long as I can.
ukbb2003
It's a shot, not a vaccine.
agdaddy04
AG
Gabster43213 said:

Years ago, my kids were required to have certain shots or not be able to enroll in school.

Whats the big difference?

Lots
TexasAggie73
AG
texan12 said:

I've never been asked about any other vaccine or was told it was a condition of employment.
TB test are not a vaccine, but many health jobs require one before hiring

Also, military and their families have been required for years to receive certain shots if the family was stationed in another country. Yes, they required it of the spouse and children.

I can remember when I was in elementary school in the late 50's lining up in the cafeteria and receiving a sugar cube with the polio vaccine. Don't know if my parents even signed a permission form.

It's a crazy world we live in.
AJ02
AG
I've had 7 jobs since graduating from A&M. Not a single one of them ever asked me my vaccination status or asked me to provide it as a condition of my employment. I've been working for 26 years. NO job I've ever had in my life as ever required any sort of vaccine as a condition of employment.
ORAggieFan
AJ02 said:

I've had 7 jobs since graduating from A&M. Not a single one of them ever asked me my vaccination status or asked me to provide it as a condition of my employment. I've been working for 26 years. NO job I've ever had in my life as ever required any sort of vaccine as a condition of employment.

How many new vaccines came out over that time that weren't required for school?
Max06
AG
Max06
AG
ORAggieFan said:

AJ02 said:

ORAggieFan
No idea what you're trying to post. I'm against vaccine mandates. I simply stated your reasoning about previous vaccines is a weak argument against them.
Max06
AG
I made no argument for or against vaccines.
ORAggieFan
Max06 said:

I made no argument for or against vaccines.

Picture wasn't showing. See it now.
Duncan Idaho
We recently announced a vaccine requirement.

You can also leave comments underneath any corporate announcements.

I have been shocked over the last week watching people post comments like they are on 16chan or brietbart.

Even if they get vaccinated, i know who is getting cut in the next RIF
ChrisTAMU
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

We recently announced a vaccine requirement.

You can also leave comments underneath any corporate announcements.

I have been shocked over the last week watching people post comments like they are on 16chan or brietbart.

Even if they get vaccinated, i know who is getting cut in the next RIF

Does that make you excited?
Duncan Idaho
I am ok with it. These people are showing so little discernment in what they are posting on a company intranet, I question what they say or do in front of a client.

Add in the fact that we are all about risk management and I question their ability to do their job effectively
texan12
Dumb on their part for the company to see it, but I get a sense that people are developing a serious lack of respect for authority considering how things are going (or at least how the new portrays it). I'm curious if during the hippie/Vietnam era of the 60s if this same attitude existed which bled to the workplace?
Duncan Idaho
Yeah. I mean there are established channels to raise your concerns/questions/objections but posting #freedonflu, "covid is over" or "the left needs to find something new to exploit" on the company intranet isn't one of them.

ChrisTAMU
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Yeah. I mean there are established channels to raise your concerns/questions/objections but posting #freedonflu, "covid is over" or "the left needs to find something new to exploit" on the company intranet isn't one of them.

Where should they fight back against the nonsense their company is peddling? Seems a direct approach is the best approach. What are they going to do? Get fired? That might be coming anyway.
TecRecAg
AG
TexDill15 said:

I work in the Aerospace industry and my biggest question is where does the trickle down stop??

Do subs to our subs count as Federal even if they just sell bulk material to the public?? And one of our subs happen to buy material from them?

Not sure where the line of government contractor ends.
I run a firm that provides both remote and on-site engineers for DoD/Aero. Our people have to get vaccinated. Hell, one guy has to get vaccinated who is 10 states away and will never be on a client or customer site.
Inca
AG
ChrisTAMU said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Where should they fight back against the nonsense their company is peddling? Seems a direct approach is the best approach. What are they going to do? Get fired? That might be coming anyway.

Have a professional conversation with HR or your manager. That's the way I expect people with professional jobs to handle it. Nothing productive will come from acting like an idiot on your company intranet.
ChrisTAMU
AG
Inca said:

ChrisTAMU said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Have a professional conversation with HR or your manager. That's the way I expect people with professional jobs to handle it. Nothing productive will come from acting like an idiot on your company intranet.
Which option do you believe will be more effective?

1. Getting more voices on your side, pushing back as a collective.

2. Going to have a 1 on 1 conversation with an HR manager whose job it is to protect the company, not you.
I Am A Critic
Individuals should be free to make the best choice for themselves, including whether or not they choose to be vaccinated.

Companies should be free to make the best choice for themselves, including whether or not to employ individuals who choose not to be vaccinated.
Username checks out.
GrayMatter
AG
No such requirements at my company. They did offer additional vacation if you submitted proof that you were vaccinated.

Taking a hard stance is rather harsh in my opinion, but am I the only thinking this mandate is going to be a great time to move up the ladder since some are choosing not to vaccinate?
Inca
AG
Posting childish hashtags and rants on the company intranet is not going to get you taken seriously. Coworkers can go to HR as a department or as another group. Can talk to upper management as a group. It doesn't have to be 1 on 1. But it should be done on a professional level. Being unprofessional is not going to change company policy.
strohag
AG
Your right companies have a choice. Most companies prior to Covid already struggled to find high level talent. Let them start to fire people. Top producers will just go elsewhere if fired. Great way to dig a huge hole in your talent pool. There is already a massive shortage of workers.
ORAggieFan
Inca said:

Posting childish hashtags and rants on the company intranet is not going to get you taken seriously. Coworkers can go to HR as a department or as another group. Can talk to upper management as a group. It doesn't have to be 1 on 1. But it should be done on a professional level. Being unprofessional is not going to change company policy.

Exactly. There are valid arguments one can make. The problem is, most that fight so emotionally cannot make them and look like fools.
histag10
AG
ORAggieFan said:

AJ02 said:

The ones required for school prevented you from contracting the diseases, and helped lead to their eradication. This one is basically a flu shot (which isn't required anywhere). You can still get COVID, and you can still spread COVID. However, you may not know you are spreading it. (It in no way eradicates COVID)
ORAggieFan
histag10 said:

ORAggieFan said:

AJ02 said:

The ones required for school prevented you from contracting the diseases, and helped lead to their eradication. This one is basically a flu shot (which isn't required anywhere). You can still get COVID, and you can still spread COVID. However, you may not know you are spreading it. (It in no way eradicates COVID)

That is true. And completely irrelevant to what I asked.

I don't support mandates. I support valid arguments against mandates, not irrelevant BS that hurts the cause and is often the message.
histag10
AG
Thought I replied to someone else. Sorry!

But to answer your question, it is possible 1 or 2 vaccines have come out since someone was in school that are now "required". Pertussis and Varicella
ORAggieFan
histag10 said:

Thought I replied to someone else. Sorry!

But to answer your question, it is possible 1 or 2 vaccines have come out since someone was in school that are now "required". Pertussis and Varicella

Varicella isn't required if one proves previous infection. It's also given for very different reasons.

I'll be honest, I know little on whooping cough.
histag10
AG
Whooping cough sucks. But the shot isn't a one and done either. It is part of the tetanus booster now
The Collective
AG
We are announcing a mandate tomorrow. Should be a fun day at the plant.
Rusty GCS
AG
I saw a job posting by Westlake Chemical recently that said vaccination was a requirement of employment

I'm guessing we might see more of that moving forward. There might be some federal incentive to these companies to require it. Otherwise, form a business sense, I don't see the reason.
ChrisTAMU
AG
Rusty GCS said:

I saw a job posting by Westlake Chemical recently that said vaccination was a requirement of employment

I'm guessing we might see more of that moving forward. There might be some federal incentive to these companies to require it. Otherwise, form a business sense, I don't see the reason.
My understanding is many refining companies are doing the same.
texan12
Max06,

How's it going? More people than they expected didn't sign the acknowledgment of the vaccine mandate so there are talks of periodic testing in place of vaccination. We have been hurting for qualified people for a while so I guess we get some leeway. Of course with anything related to the military/government, there are always exceptions to the rules.
Max06
AG
I'm not privvy to the details, but it sounds like less than 50% if our workforce has provided the required information as of this week. They do have until November 9 to do so though, so that may change. There's been a significant number of people separating since the mandate.

I do know quite a few that are very begrudgingly choosing to get vaccinated because they cannot afford to lose their job/healthcare. It will be interesting to see the long-term effects on morale. I have a feeling there are A LOT of people searching for new employment at this time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.