Job Network
Sponsored by

Discuss: get vax or get fired

12,195 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ark03
Max06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have we discussed this yet? I searched a little bit and didn't find much. This is a polarizing topic, I know.

The media makes It seem like a lot of people are choosing to get vaccinated versus lose their job. Is this truly the case? I'm curious how employers who take a hard line and don't offer weekly testing will be impacted in the long run, or if at all.
akaggie05
AG
I work in the defense industry and it's become a major issue. Lots of folks (especially those who were contemplating retirement anyway) are saying this is it for them. I believe them. It's going to get ugly IMO.

Edit: I do see a lot of it hinging on how widespread medical/moral/religious exemptions are allowed.
Raptor
AG
I work in education and we haven't been given any ultimatums, yet.

In fact, in my district in North Dallas we have a bank of about 25,000 days that they use to cover anyone who misses for anything Covid related.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

10andBOUNCE
AG
akaggie05 said:

I work in the defense industry and it's become a major issue. Lots of folks (especially those who were contemplating retirement anyway) are saying this is it for them. I believe them. It's going to get ugly IMO.

Edit: I do see a lot of it hinging on how widespread medical/moral/religious exemptions are allowed.

Same here. I've talked to several folks in my immediate circle that are being backed into a corner on this. It's also really uncomfortable as corporate is forcing me into talking to my direct reports about this - it's none of my damn business whether or not they choose a certain medical procedure.
BrazosDog02
AG
Meh, I'd call religious exemption or any number of exemptions and make them test it. The problem is that, at least at my old corporate job, the employee handbook is one inch thick. So, you don't really need to fire anyone over vaccines. You can lay them off for anything at all and there is no requirement in this state to tell them why. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as an at will state we can let go or quit without any reason at all???

This is where we will see issues.
SWCBonfire
AG
While not in the defense industry, my employer requires unvaccinated employees to wear masks while in the building, while vaccinated employees do not have to do anything. This is regardless of whether you have had covid/have antibodies or not.

Of course, its complete theater for those who think it matters, but primarily it is a mandate from the corporate level to ensure that all are required to take proactive measures to "prevent the spread" of Covid and minimize company liability in the event of a death (even if the measures aren't effective, they only care about going through the motions).
texan12

SWC-
They ask for proof of vaccination? Is that legal?
ChrisTAMU
AG
My company sent out a note today saying the unvaccinated, second class citizens are getting a $150/month surcharge on insurance starting January.

I'm about to post a thread on this forum searching for a new job.
Max06
AG
The federal government is doing the same, so it must be legal.
texan12
I'm with the DOD and for the past year it's been reiterated that supervisors can not ask about vaccination status. All of a sudden we must be fully vaccinated by late Nov. along with signing an acknowledgement of the mandate. I'm not seeing what proof is required, though.
ORAggieFan
texan12 said:

SWC-
Yes, it's legal.
RockOn
texan12 said:

SWC-
Considering how long government entities (schools & colleges) have been requiring certain vaccinations without legal trouble, adding 1 more to the list is not going to change anything.
texan12
I've never been asked about any other vaccine or was told it was a condition of employment.
Gabster43213
Years ago, my kids were required to have certain shots or not be able to enroll in school.

Whats the big difference?
Philip J Fry
AG
Uhh. You could home school your kids. Not being able to work is a completely different level of government involvement.
Max06
AG
USDA: Vaccination deadlines and proof of vaccination
USDA seal
Good afternoon,

We are writing with an important update on President Biden's call to duty for Federal Executive Branch employees to lead by example and be fully vaccinated (meaning at least two weeks past the final dose) by no later than November 22, 2021. As we have said before, this requirement applies to all USDA employees and is essential to limiting the spread of COVID-19, including the new and highly contagious Delta variant, which is 60 percent more contagious than the Alpha variant we dealt with last year. The U.S. has surpassed 700,000 COVID-19 deaths and over 43 million people have been infected, making this the deadliest pandemic in our country's history. Children now account for more than one in five new cases, and the highly contagious Delta variant has sent more children into hospitals and intensive care units in the past few weeks than at any other time in the pandemic.

For those of you who still need to be vaccinated, below are interim deadlines that will ensure you are two weeks from your last dose and thus fully vaccinated by the November 22nd deadline. Visit www.vaccines.gov to find a COVID-19 vaccine near you and learn more about the benefits of vaccinations.

October 11: First dose deadline (Moderna COVID-19 vaccine)
October 18: First dose deadline (Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine)
November 8: Second dose deadline (Moderna and Pfizer vaccine)
November 8: First (only) dose deadline (Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 vaccine)
November 22: Federal employees must be fully vaccinated
Employees who cannot receive the vaccine for reasonable or religious reasons should request an accommodation by October 18, 2021. Here is a link to the Reasonable Accommodation Coordinators. Here is a link to the Religious Accommodation Coordinators, which includes the required religious accommodation request form to complete.

If you have not completed the proof of vaccination survey, please do so by filling out the proof of vaccination survey by November 9, 2021.

Thank you to the tens of thousands of USDA employees who have already submitted the required proof of vaccination information. Employees who have not submitted proof that they have been fully vaccinated by November 9, 2021, and who do not have a pending request for a medical or religious accommodation, will be subject to administrative action, culminating in removal. If an employee initiates a first or second dose of the vaccine during the enforcement process, the enforcement will be paused (held in abeyance) as long as the employee becomes fully compliant with the mandate. All managers will be receiving further information on their role in ensuring employees are compliant with the vaccine mandate. Managers do not have access to employee's electronic proof of vaccination documentation.

Certain employees who will not be in pay status on November 22nd or are on extended leave are not required to submit documentation establishing they are fully vaccinated. This includes seasonal employees and employees on extended leave, such as paid parental leave or military leave. Employees not in pay status or on extended leave will be required to provide proof of vaccination or must request and obtain an accommodation before returning to duty. Employees who have submitted retirement packages or letters of resignation who are using leave in advance of departing federal service and do not intend to return to duty also are not required to submit documentation.

For more information on these topics, please visit the FAQs or USDA's COVID Workplace Safety Plan both of which are updated frequently. Please send any concerns or questions to your Pandemic Coordinator or to futureofwork@usda.gov.

We are committed to putting the safety of our workforce and customers first and thank you for your service and for the important work you do for USDA.

Sincerely,

Tom Vilsack Dr. Jewel Bronaugh

Secretary Deputy Secretary

Friday, October 8, 2021

https://www.fs.usda.gov/inside-fs/mail-call/usda-vaccination-deadlines-and-proof-vaccination
JamesPShelley
I know more than several employees of a nationally recognized home improvement conglomerate. While their "theater" has been reduced (Masks. No masks. No masks if vacinnated. Masks again. Etc.) many are waiting for the corporate vaccine madate axe to be dropped.

Half of them proactively are taking steps to get their resumes in order, and actively are seeking out other, less restrictive, opportunities. The other half mentally are preparing for the mandate Jab.

I'm told that many aren't taking a shot for a $20 an hour job.
hellapark
AG
So proof of vaccination is a survey form the USDA employees fill out themselves? Basically the honor system?
Max06
AG
The "survey" requires that employees must provide one of the following as proof of vaccination:

A copy of the record of immunization from a health care provider or pharmacy

A copy of the COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card

A copy of medical records documenting the vaccination

A copy of immunization records from a public health or State immunization information system

A copy of any other official documentation containing required data points that include: type of vaccine administered, date(s) of administration, and the name of the health care professional(s) or clinic site(s) administering the vaccine(s).
Vernada
AG
I have a friend and his company has taken this position:

We will not require the vaccine. However, you will not have access to any of our benefits to treat a covid infection if you have not been vaccinated.

That means they have to use their own PTO (and not the special c19 time off they've set-up) and they will pay no insurance claims.

I'm not really sure how all of that works, but that's the stance they've taken.

And since most large employers self-insure, I guess it's reasonable that they don't want to foot the bill for your personal choice. At least I'm assuming that's where they are coming from.
hellapark
AG
Interesting approach. Wonder how long it will be until they stop paying claims related to employees other choices (smoking, poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, etc.)?
Naveronski
AG
Aerospace

All US-based employees must be fully vaccinated by December 8th (unless medical or religiously exempt), or "you do not meet a required condition of your employment and will be terminated".

Rumor has it that we're at around 30% compliance. Will be very interesting to see if they really terminate everyone over this.
OCEN99
AG
Looks like my company is going the carrot route instead of the stick route. They sent out a email last week announcing they'll be paying bonuses to people who provide proof of vaccination.
AtlAg05
AG
Just from a pure business point of view, there's already a shortage of labor, and to fire people in the midst of that shortage?! How is that NOT going to end badly?
Naveronski
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Just from a pure business point of view, there's already a shortage of labor, and to fire people in the midst of that shortage?! How is that NOT going to end badly?
If you're a major defense contractor, and your projected work over the next 5-10 years is dropping rapidly now that we're not at war, dismissing nonvaccinated people is much "easier" than a layoff.
Ridge14
Dell announced today anyone interacting with the US Fed team must be vaccinated, even if working remotely.

They did not define interacting so unclear whether that's being on an email distribution list with Fed employees for various reports, IMing once a fiscal year, on a project together, etc
PneumAg
Naveronski said:

Aerospace

All US-based employees must be fully vaccinated by December 8th (unless medical or religiously exempt), or "you do not meet a required condition of your employment and will be terminated".

Rumor has it that we're at around 30% compliance. Will be very interesting to see if they really terminate everyone over this.

Mass noncompliance is the key. If only 30% comply, your company won't do anything because they can't fire 70% of their labor or even a fraction of that. But unfortunately, most probably will comply.
ukbb2003
Ridge14 said:

Dell announced today anyone interacting with the US Fed team must be vaccinated, even if working remotely.

They did not define interacting so unclear whether that's being on an email distribution list with Fed employees for various reports, IMing once a fiscal year, on a project together, etc

My gosh, the level of stupidity. So now it can be spread through a computer.
Agz_2003
AG
Maybe we need a thread for companies with job openings who will hire quality unvaxxed folks.
AgZoidberg
AG
Private companies in right to work states can fire you for most anything. Pretty sure a lawsuit wouldn't get far in this case.

This is the hill you want to die on, as they say.

https://www.reddit.com/r/byebyejob/
TexDill15
AG
I work in the Aerospace industry and my biggest question is where does the trickle down stop??

Do subs to our subs count as Federal even if they just sell bulk material to the public?? And one of our subs happen to buy material from them?

Not sure where the line of government contractor ends.
AggieOO
Ridge14 said:

read the bullet points again. I felt the email was more obvious that what you are spelling out when you take the info as a whole, but technically you are correct that they did not define "interact."

I'm customer-facing and i'm in all kinds of buildings, so I'm sure I fall under it, even though I'm not in the fed space. That said, I'm already vaccinated, so i really don't care.
agsalaska
AG
Gabster43213 said:

Years ago, my kids were required to have certain shots or not be able to enroll in school.

I am aware of zero such federal mandates.
The Milkman
AG
Naveronski said:

Aerospace

I work for a major think tank and am also included as part of the federal mandate because the amount of government contracts we hold. We are over 90% vaxxed with more than 2000 employees.
_lefraud_
AG
Gabster43213 said:

Public schools couldn't/cant keep children out of school for not having their shots.

Why should the Covid shot be different, now?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.