Asheville and Western North Carolina, Tennessee, and South Caroline damage from Helen

16,974 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 0 sec ago by DBill
The Kraken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jefe95 said:

Government needs to seriously stop tinkering with the weather.
How exactly is the government "tinkering" with the weather?
CyclingAg82
AG
Trying to reach one of my friends in Brevard NC, just south of Asheville.

No word yet. the devastation being shown on posts is staggering.

The Fife
It's a reference to 'George Bush has a weather machine' that someone claimed after Katrina.
Pinochet
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Anybody have any verified information related to airport operations?

Has there been any discussion of evacuating people by air or ground by way of non-commercial transport?

The update I have is that cell phone outages have made it tough to get info on who needs help and impossible to tell people when help will arrive. Currently asking people to come to airports when they hear airplanes.The disaster area being worked by one group is Asheville to Bristol and Boone to Ashe County airports. Incoming pilots are dropping supplies like water and food at a number of outlier airports in conspicuous places so people can find them when they make it to the airport. Then those pilots are working out of Concord and Statesville to shuttle supplies where road conditions make it impossible by ground. That's just fixed wing.

Rotor wing assets from all over are staging for both supply drops to places cut off from even the small airports and rescues of stranded people.

Oh and avgas/jet fuel supplies are an issue. Pilots are tankering fuel to get in and out. Luckily the smaller aircraft use much less fuel.
BuddysBud
AG
During Harvey when I went to help with rescue efforts near my home, Taskforce 1 showed up and went out but never came back with anyone. For the entire day, the Cajun Navy and other civilians with private boats had a continuous flow of people who were brought out of flooded houses. The boats unloaded passengers onto National Guard high water vehicles that took them to the community center. Many of those boats ended up with damage from hitting mailboxes or scrapping concrete streets. The boat owners didn't care about the damage as long as they could keep helping people who were in need.

Likewise, it looks like the Hillbilly Air Force is pulling the weight in NC and Tenn.

The greatness of the country is evident during these disasters when private citizens use their resources to help neighbors more efficiently than bloated government agencies.
Pinochet
BuddysBud said:

During Harvey when I went to help with rescue efforts near my home, Taskforce 1 showed up and went out but never came back with anyone. For the entire day, the Cajun Navy and other civilians with private boats had a continuous flow of people who were brought out of flooded houses. The boats unloaded passengers onto National Guard high water vehicles that took them to the community center. Many of those boats ended up with damage from hitting mailboxes or scrapping concrete streets. The boat owners didn't care about the damage as long as they could keep helping people who were in need.

Likewise, it looks like the Hillbilly Air Force is pulling the weight in NC and Tenn.

The greatness of the country is evident during these disasters when private citizens use their resources to help neighbors more efficiently than bloated government agencies.

It's not just the Hillbillies. Some are taking time off their normal office jobs and flying across the country to help.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Received an update from my brother in law.

The neighbors are all banding together. They figured out how to get water from a stream. Filtering/boiling this water until drinking water is available. Extra buckets to flush their toilet. They are eating canned food off their pantry shelf. Trying to conserve their phone batteries.
The Kraken
AG
The Fife said:

It's a reference to 'George Bush has a weather machine' that someone claimed after Katrina.

Ah got it. Thought he actually might be one of those HAARP "the government can control the weather" conspiracy idiots.
Tex117
AG
TRM said:

Nanomachines son said:

It's clear most of these people had little to no warning at all. This is a nightmare scenario that you cannot prepare for at all.
This was pretty well predicted storm from the track to the magnitude at the beginning of the week.

Now, I believe they weren't prepared for the possible fall out from the roads washing out to the flooding, but that's pretty much an impossibility to account for the flooding or washed out roads.
There were two rain events......Only one was the storm and that tracked/preditable.

Plus...This isn't coastal flooding...Its coming down the mountain at velocity. What could you possibly do anyway other than get out of dodge?
Jabin
My sister just informed me that her old college roomate and lifelong friend, who lived in Burnsville, NC, was killed in a mudslide. Her roomate's husband survived.

This is beyond terrible.
GiggEmAllDay
That's an interesting proposal! Utilizing migrant labor for disaster relief efforts could expedite reconstruction. However, it raises complex issues.
redcrayon
AG
The Kraken said:

The Fife said:

Ah got it. Thought he actually might be one of those HAARP "the government can control the weather" conspiracy idiots.
No, that's the Dems who think people can control the weather.
redcrayon
AG
GiggEmAllDay said:

That's an interesting proposal! Utilizing migrant labor for disaster relief efforts could expedite reconstruction. However, it raises complex issues.
He didn't say migrant labor, he said illegals.
The Kraken
AG
My experience is that people who think the government can control the weather also believe in Chemtrails and 9/11 theories and are more likely to be even Flat Earthers
GiggEmAllDay
Omg, thanks for the update from Johnson City!
Sounds like Helene really caught everyone off-guard. How's the community rallying together?
Any local relief efforts standing out?
Jabin
The Kraken said:

My experience is that people who think the government can control the weather also believe in Chemtrails and 9/11 theories and are more likely to be even Flat Earthers
And your point would be?
General Jack D. Ripper
The Kraken said:

So if you think that about people who believe the government can control the weather, how do you feel about people that think the government can control the global climate?
There was this one time at ban camp…
redcrayon
AG
General Jack D. Ripper said:

The Kraken said:

So if you think that about people who believe the government can control the weather, how do you feel about people that think the government can control the global climate?

My post went over his head but not yours!
GiggEmAllDay
Oh yeah, but illegals like what ?
Artorias
AG
deadhead aggie said:

reporting from Johnson City, TN….major interstate from the Tri-Cities TN area to Asheville is wiped-out….our access to the Carolinas took a serious blow…went to the grocery this morning and it's evident that deliveries of inventory are impacted…lots of people still missing….

i went through Ike, Harvey, Katrina, Alicia, etc. in Texas….this one caught everybody off-guard….gonna be a long recovery…
Also in the area, closer to Kingsport. The timing of Helene was especially bad as we had had a fair amount of rain in the week before, leaving the ground soaked with no room to absorb the rainfall from Helene. Catastrophic flooding all over the region with rivers overflowing, dams breaking, etc.
aggiehawg
AG
Kamala getting her hurricane briefing?

MooreTrucker
AG
I'm missing the point of this one....
aggiehawg
AG
Are her earbuds attached to the phone?
torrid
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I'm missing the point of this one....
She's holding her hand at her ear like she's on the phone, but her phone is sitting on the desk.

She does appear to be wearing earbuds though. Weird as I though we established she wore Bluetooth earrings.
FL_Ag1998
AG
aggiehawg said:

Hell, phones in the last couple of years don't even come with a place to plug a cord into for earphones, so she clearly ain't listening to a phone call unless the VP of the US can't afford a phone produced after 2022ish, lol.
MooreTrucker
AG
aggiehawg said:

Cant tell from this angle, but quite a stretch IMO
FL_Ag1998
AG
And for anybody waiting on word from Asheville peeps, I finally just heard from one of my direct reports who lives right on the river in Asheville that he has no power or water and very limited cell service, so he's working on making his way to Knoxville.
TRM
AG
Not getting into because I don't want another ban.
The Kraken
AG

The Kraken said:

YUGE difference between the conspiracy theory that the government can control every detail on the weather (bat **** crazy) and whether government regulation of energy use can affect climate change, or if man made activities make any effect at all.

General Jack D. Ripper
The Kraken said:

The Kraken said:

YUGE difference between the conspiracy theory that the government can control every detail on the weather (bat **** crazy) and whether government regulation of energy use can affect climate change, or if man made activities make any effect at all.

No. They are both grifts. You just happen to subscribe to the latter. I thankfully subscribe to neither.
There was this one time at ban camp…
Pinochet
FL_Ag1998 said:

And for anybody waiting on word from Asheville peeps, I finally just heard from one of my direct reports who lives right on the river in Asheville that he has no power or water and very limited cell service, so he's working on making his way to Knoxville.

Is he planning to drive or is he hitching a ride from the Asheville airport? There are definitely small planes that have room going back that direction.
aggiehawg
AG
Welp.

BurnetAggie99
Biden could send the Marines from Camp Lejeune to assist with rescues & disaster relief.
redcrayon
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Biden could send the Marines from Camp Lejeune to assist with rescues & disaster relief.
Ft Bragg, Ft Campbell. Why isn't the military helping??
TAMU1990
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.