Asheville and Western North Carolina, Tennessee, and South Caroline damage from Helen

15,089 Views | 147 Replies | Last: 49 sec ago by RafterAg223
The Kraken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jefe95 said:

Government needs to seriously stop tinkering with the weather.
How exactly is the government "tinkering" with the weather?
CyclingAg82
AG
Trying to reach one of my friends in Brevard NC, just south of Asheville.

No word yet. the devastation being shown on posts is staggering.

The Fife
It's a reference to 'George Bush has a weather machine' that someone claimed after Katrina.
Pinochet
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Anybody have any verified information related to airport operations?

Has there been any discussion of evacuating people by air or ground by way of non-commercial transport?

The update I have is that cell phone outages have made it tough to get info on who needs help and impossible to tell people when help will arrive. Currently asking people to come to airports when they hear airplanes.The disaster area being worked by one group is Asheville to Bristol and Boone to Ashe County airports. Incoming pilots are dropping supplies like water and food at a number of outlier airports in conspicuous places so people can find them when they make it to the airport. Then those pilots are working out of Concord and Statesville to shuttle supplies where road conditions make it impossible by ground. That's just fixed wing.

Rotor wing assets from all over are staging for both supply drops to places cut off from even the small airports and rescues of stranded people.

Oh and avgas/jet fuel supplies are an issue. Pilots are tankering fuel to get in and out. Luckily the smaller aircraft use much less fuel.
BuddysBud
AG
During Harvey when I went to help with rescue efforts near my home, Taskforce 1 showed up and went out but never came back with anyone. For the entire day, the Cajun Navy and other civilians with private boats had a continuous flow of people who were brought out of flooded houses. The boats unloaded passengers onto National Guard high water vehicles that took them to the community center. Many of those boats ended up with damage from hitting mailboxes or scrapping concrete streets. The boat owners didn't care about the damage as long as they could keep helping people who were in need.

Likewise, it looks like the Hillbilly Air Force is pulling the weight in NC and Tenn.

The greatness of the country is evident during these disasters when private citizens use their resources to help neighbors more efficiently than bloated government agencies.
Pinochet
BuddysBud said:

During Harvey when I went to help with rescue efforts near my home, Taskforce 1 showed up and went out but never came back with anyone. For the entire day, the Cajun Navy and other civilians with private boats had a continuous flow of people who were brought out of flooded houses. The boats unloaded passengers onto National Guard high water vehicles that took them to the community center. Many of those boats ended up with damage from hitting mailboxes or scrapping concrete streets. The boat owners didn't care about the damage as long as they could keep helping people who were in need.

Likewise, it looks like the Hillbilly Air Force is pulling the weight in NC and Tenn.

The greatness of the country is evident during these disasters when private citizens use their resources to help neighbors more efficiently than bloated government agencies.

It's not just the Hillbillies. Some are taking time off their normal office jobs and flying across the country to help.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Received an update from my brother in law.

The neighbors are all banding together. They figured out how to get water from a stream. Filtering/boiling this water until drinking water is available. Extra buckets to flush their toilet. They are eating canned food off their pantry shelf. Trying to conserve their phone batteries.
RafterAg223
AG
This whole situation is infuriating and is exhibit ZZ of why all the billions flowing to a corrupt European nation are complete and utter BS. I bet you won't hear a peep from the usual fan boys on this thread. That $8bn should be redirected immediately to the affected part of this country. But it won't, because where will the kickbacks come from?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.