Asheville and Western North Carolina, Tennessee, and South Caroline damage from Helen

15,167 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by The Kraken
TAMUallen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TRD-Ferguson said:

Brother in law and his wife live in Asheville. We did not hear from them until 4:20 this afternoon. No power, no gas, no phone, no water, etc. Home is safe so they have shelter. Several trees in yard are gone or damaged.

Found a neighbor who had Starlink and a camper equipped with lithium batteries. He was able to use that resource to text the family this afternoon. Says lot of people were there doing the same. Neighbor says he'll leave it active until the batteries go dead!

They are unable to leave their area by car due to washed out roads, bridges, trees/debris blocking road, etc.

They prepared but no one expected this amount of rain and the results. They have food and thought they had enough water. Concerned water may run out Tuesday so hoping for some help there. Wishes he had bought another propane canister, or filled up the one he had, as he ran out of propane today. Can't cook a hot meal.

Weather isn't too hot or too cold so it's not uncomfortable climate wise.

Surely somebody has a generator so people can come together in community to make sure everyone can cook food and have an internet signal good enough for people to text and email out?
bkag9824
AG
See my post on the first page of this thread. I know you said they can't get out at the moment via car but please send them my info.

My cabin is vacant until at least 10/14, willing to make it longer as needed.
Ag_of_08
AG
There are several private helicopter groups flying airlift type runs in and doing rescues. I've been seeing updates from a youtuber I like called Cleetus McFarland(real name is Garrett Mitchell), he has an md500 that was just rebuilt that they're utilizing...the damage is incredible.
Ag with kids
AG
YouBet said:

Lack of media really is wild. Even the WSJ only has one half-assed article and it's barely above the virtual fold on the app.
The "right people" haven't been affected...
bkag9824
AG
Jurist - see my post on the first page. Please share with folks you know that may need assistance.

LOAD2000
AG
If this was happening in New York, New Jersey, or California... The media coverage would be constant. The rural south... crickets.
Ag with kids
AG
Aggie Jurist said:

Those posting 'they had warning' need to stop typing. I'm in the middle of this. I drove 6 hours yesterday trying to get home to my wife (normally a 2 hour drive). The devastation is everywhere. No power, no water, highways completely gone. No way in, no way out. Nobody predicted this - nobody. There were no evacuation order - just some rather innocuous weather advisories. The speed with which the water moved was astounding. Washing out bridges - big and small. Destroying highways- state and federal. Washing away every route of escape and destroying countless homes and businesses. It's heartbreaking.
Hey...are y'all Ok?

Worrying about y'all.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Thank you! I'll let them know. They want to stay at home if they can for as long as they can.
Dan Scott
AG
Buncombe County went 60-39 Biden. Biden won by 35K votes. The news coverage I've seen is people pissed off about FEMA response.
OneProudAg
AG
Just texted a good friend of mine a few hours ago in SE Tenn because of Tikok. They are good, but he relayed another good friend got over 4' of rain in E Tenn. Crazy how there is no reporting. Sunday night football would normally have a text # to give support to Helene. This seems like 10x's what Harvey was.
TAMUallen
AG
Dan Scott said:

Buncombe County went 60-39 Biden. Biden won by 35K votes. The news coverage I've seen is people pissed off about FEMA response.

Who wouldn't be? Only thing I've really seen from FEMA is they took over cell towers (presumably to keep them online) but effed them all up so nobody has cell signal
Stat Monitor Repairman
Anybody have any verified information related to airport operations?

Has there been any discussion of evacuating people by air or ground by way of non-commercial transport?
C@LAg
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Anybody have any verified information related to airport operations?

Has there been any discussion of evacuating people by air or ground by way of non-commercial transport?
the feds have done nothing.

otherwise they would be trumpeting it all over media.

and i think local govts are just too overwhelmed, including the airports (local and regional) to do anything. plus many of the smaller airports likely have damage as well as limited power/resources for fuel, etc right now.
TAMUallen
AG
Oooo I have Kentucky family who are UK grads... can't wait to let them loose. They're going to be PISSED
TyHolden
AG
TAMUallen said:

Oooo I have Kentucky family who are UK grads... can't wait to let them loose. They're going to be PISSED
I work with a group from Lexington...like a block from Rupp Arena. They are pissed. No way she makes it.
TAMUallen
AG
TyHolden said:

TAMUallen said:

I work with a group from Lexington...like a block from Rupp Arena. They are pissed. No way she makes it.

Just wait till I tell my stepmom... she's a diehard cat who was born blue despite not going to UK. She is ruthless, she will tell everybody she encounters within 10 miles
deadhead aggie
AG
Jackal99 said:

My brother lives in Kingsport. Said it isn't too terrible there but is worse further south.

if there's any silver lining to this entire catastrophe, it's that Kingsport was spared, specifically with Eastman Chemical dodging a bullet…a blow to the plant would cripple the city…

my neighbor across the street moved his family into the house less than 2 weeks ago….almost 3 feet of water in his basement…we should all count our blessings at this time….
Fat Black Swan
AG
88planoAg
AG
Nothing about this on wsj this morning.
fightingfarmer09
Ag_of_08 said:

There are several private helicopter groups flying airlift type runs in and doing rescues. I've been seeing updates from a youtuber I like called Cleetus McFarland(real name is Garrett Mitchell), he has an md500 that was just rebuilt that they're utilizing...the damage is incredible.

Ryan Hall and his weather group was just talking about airlifting in supplies.

There are teams with mules as well. Good people everywhere always rise to their moment.
nortex97
AG
If only there were airborne resources at nearby Fort Bragg that might be used to assist. I guess the 82nd Airplane gang doesn't exist any longer.

P.U.T.U
AG
Sadly this is typical, happens every time there is damage from severe weather. A lot of people thought it was just Katrina, I wish. Sad thing is the military has not changed anything and they often don't provide security for their trucks like they do overseas. They assume all Americans are good people
ToddyHill
AG
Most of the water from these rivers in Tennessee will eventually flow into the Tennessee River. The first dam along that river is Fort Loudon, which is just southwest of Knoxville. At the moment the TVA is sending 568,018 gallons of water per second over that dam.
flakrat
AG
ToddyHill said:

Most of the water from these rivers in Tennessee will eventually flow into the Tennessee River. The first dam along that river is Fort Loudon, which is just southwest of Knoxville. At the moment the TVA is sending 568,018 gallons of water per second over that dam.

They are predicting 636K gallons per second on Oct 2
MouthBQ98
AG
They're going to need dozers, mixers, and lots asphalt, concrete, and steel to restore basic transportation. Once roads can be made passable, the critical items can get in and out, and other crews can get in to do work. Until they can move on the ground, there will be problems.
ToddyHill
AG
Thanks for that update. Our property fronts a creek that flows into the Tennessee. Presently, the water level is normal...but I've been wondering what might be in the next few days.
flakrat
AG
The TVA has a nice phone app that provides all sorts of useful info and graphs for all of the TVA managed lakes... including recent and predicted lake levels / discharge rate etc...

https://www.tva.com/environment/lake-levels/tva-lake-info-app
mazzag
AG

BBRex
AG
A friend of mine lives on Black Mountain, and his family just got word yesterday that he's safe. Before the storm, his property had regular visits from bears. They will have to be careful resupplying by air. Spilled food will likely become bear bait (assuming they made through the storm).
Kenneth_2003
AG
flakrat said:

ToddyHill said:

They are predicting 636K gallons per second on Oct 2

That's 86,000 CFS. I don't know the comparative size of the Tennessee River. Trinity River at lake Livingston was passing ~125,000 CFS last spring.
ToddyHill
AG

Quote:

That's 86,000 CFS. I don't know the comparative size of the Tennessee River. Trinity River at lake Livingston was passing ~125,000 CFS last spring.

Wow...that's a lot of water!

Fort Loudon Dam is 4190 feet in length.
Rapier108
ToddyHill said:

Quote:

It's maximum discharge capacity is 495,000 cfs so 86K isn't all that bad.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
agent-maroon
AG
Rapier108 said:

ToddyHill said:

Quote:

It's maximum discharge capacity is 495,000 cfs so 86K isn't all that bad.

Edit - didn't realize that the Fort Loudon Dam wasn't the Lake Livingston Dam, so please disregard my ignorance. Seems that they DID overdesign that dam
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kentucky Jeff
Electric utility in that area is working around the clock making repairs to transmission lines/substations. Once those are repaired they'll start to hammer out the distribution side.

Utility will not reconnect power to homes or businesses that have flooded until an electrical inspection has been done on the service.

There will be a massive need for electricians in those areas most affected.

Also, screw that UK professor who posted that hateful message. Thanks for outing yourself. I'll be in contact with staff/alumni!
ToddyHill
AG
Wow...good to know. Thank you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.