Will Trump regret picking Vance?

8,148 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by txwxman
DanielDay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JWinTX said:

Vance is a solid pick, as he will help get votes in the Rust Belt, which Trump knows he can and will win. Kamala ain't sweeping those states, and that's necessary for her to win. EVERYTHING Trump and the GOP are doing revolves around winning Rust Belt voters in the B1G states. Its why Kid Rock, Hulk Hogan, and Dana White appeared at the convention, as well as the Teamsters leader.

As long as Kamala has to talk, she will show off the reasons she is so unlikeable and unpopular. Don't get fooled by the MSM and their sycophants. They cannot make her into something that is better than Hillary, who was way more qualified than KH and still lost to Trump. She will, too...
Maybe. Vance drastically underperformed DeWine (Ohio governor) when both ran in 2022. He will need to improve the performance with republicans or independents who didn't vote for him two years ago.
JWinTX
DanielDay said:

JWinTX said:

Vance is a solid pick, as he will help get votes in the Rust Belt, which Trump knows he can and will win. Kamala ain't sweeping those states, and that's necessary for her to win. EVERYTHING Trump and the GOP are doing revolves around winning Rust Belt voters in the B1G states. Its why Kid Rock, Hulk Hogan, and Dana White appeared at the convention, as well as the Teamsters leader.

As long as Kamala has to talk, she will show off the reasons she is so unlikeable and unpopular. Don't get fooled by the MSM and their sycophants. They cannot make her into something that is better than Hillary, who was way more qualified than KH and still lost to Trump. She will, too...
Maybe. Vance drastically underperformed DeWine (Ohio governor) when both ran in 2022. He will need to improve the performance with republicans or independents who didn't vote for him two years ago.

DeWine is very well-known and fairly popular in Ohio, have served as a GOP senator before being their governor. Vance is none of those. My belief is that Trump got a younger Midwestern All-American guy that checks a lot of boxes to get white, Rust Belt men to vote for Trump again. I'm telling you all that this is Trump's path for winning the election. It's winning these states again, which got away in 2020 because Biden could talk to these people and make them believe that the Dems were for the unions. But they've seen what's happened and they aren't going to back Kamala Harris over Trump.

Now, Trump has one glaring fight that is scary, electorally speaking. It's the abortion thing. These people swarm the ballot box to protect their "right" to kill their babies. And I'm not sure that is changing anytime soon. As I said back at the time of Roe b Wade being overturned, this was a huge win for our moral compass, but it's gonna hurt in the short term, as Dems rally their voters on this. That's exactly what has happened. Maybe it's finally done being a huge draw to the voting booth for these people, but I really think we haven't seen the end of this. And that's scary because it can really lead to Kamala Harris being President. If that happens, it's over for the country. Living in a Red State will be more imperative to your freedom and livelihood than ever before.
evan_aggie
AG
TyHolden said:

VPs don't matter....

This is why GOP plays checkers and Dems play Chess. It's why such an incompetent VP will likely win and "steal" another election.

Winning is easy if you know the formula. Trump didn't think about trying to sway the 2-3% moderates he must have. And we are so stupid as voters that we may only need to see

"black female president + white male VP"
Vs
"White male president + white male VP"

To fall for the "I'm supposed to feel better about myself if i support one vs the other"

How do I know Kamala will choose a white male VP? Because he will matter if they want to win in November.
TTUArmy
Tex117 said:

Studies have shown the VP pick doesn't help win elections… but it can hurt (see, Palin)

Palin was a populist pick backing an establishment RINO. No one was truly happy with the prospect of voting for McCain. Palin was the only reason quite a few people voted for McCain. I liked Palin enough, but I couldn't stand McCain. One of the elections I voted third party in protest and disgust.
aggiegolfer2012
I'd be willing to bet some of the better options found polite ways to decline. Taking certain cabinet positions or the VP spot is a pretty big risk. Trump expects a high level of loyalty and can end your political career with a truth social post if you don't meet his expectations.

TyHolden
AG
evan_aggie said:

TyHolden said:

VPs don't matter....

This is why GOP plays checkers and Dems play Chess. It's why such an incompetent VP will likely win and "steal" another election.

Winning is easy if you know the formula. Trump didn't think about trying to sway the 2-3% moderates he must have. And we are so stupid as voters that we may only need to see

Vs

To fall for the "I'm supposed to feel better about myself if i support one vs the other"

How do I know Kamala will choose a white male VP? Because he will matter if they want to win in November.
Trump didn't choose a VP to sway voters. He chose a VP like him so they'll stop shooting at him. They can't possibly kill both can they? Maybe. Who knows with our corrupt government. He's way ahead in the polls and it wasn't going to change for Cackles or Poopy Pants. 2-3% can easily be made up by blue cities corrupt ways. It will just take longer to count the votes. Trump will need to win the rust belt states by 5-10%. Even then, they may go 2-3 weeks into counting. If the FBI can go completely silent on Trump's assassination attempt right now, there's really no stopping the corruption.
itsyourboypookie
DonHenley said:

Picking Sarah Palin helped torpedo any chances McCain had of winning

Back when boomers wouldn't vote for a woman.

Now the boomer women feel it's their duty to elect the first woman prez
ds00
Trumps VP pick matters because like Biden he's old. 4 years is a long time when you're 80.
doubledog
DonHenley said:

Vance sounded a lot like Jeb with his Mountain Dew joke (please laugh) and really hasn't sounded that great speaking so far. He doesn't have the cross over appeal that say Youngkin would have. Trump already has Ohio wrapped up, so no benefit there. In a VP debate instead of Kamala, he might go against Kelly or Shaprio and might not come out looking so good. I don't think Vance would cost Trump the election because Trump looks way better than Kamala, but I don't really see what Vance brings to the table. Other VP options had much more upside.
He sells well in the rust belt, they appreciate mountain dew jokes.
2000AgPhD
DonHenley said:

Picking Sarah Palin helped torpedo any chances McCain had of winning
McCain helped torpedo any chance McCain had of winning.
12Power
See the post directly above yours. Not Palin's fault McCain lost.
PJYoung
AG
Artorias said:

Nobody really cares about the VP.
I agree.

I also think Trump might drop him in the coming days.

Would only be the 3rd most crazy thing to happen in politics the past 2 weeks.
Im Gipper
PJYoung said:

Artorias said:

I agree.

lol. ZERO chance!

I'm Gipper
Charpie
AG
Really? Por why?
zb008
I would usually agree with the opinions saying that the VP pick doesn't matter, but Trump is 78, so I think it matters to voters more than it usually would. Vance doesn't necessarily bring anything to the ticket that wasn't there before he was selected. I think a repeat of what Reagan did by picking HW Bush to be his VP after their contested primary should have been what Trump did by picking Haley instead of Vance. He could have given some ease to some of the never-Trump Republicans and some independent voters by picking her. I think Vance will end up being a net-negative when it comes to that. It does feel like an unforced error on Trump's part.
Claverack
It remains a great choice.

Vance has lived the issues Trump routinely brings forward. He's not born elite in wealth or status. He has made his own way forward as a soldier, a student, a writer and a politician. His daddy wasn't an intellectual Marxist Stanford professor.

He comes directly from that crowd Trump speaks to, the crowd increasing in numbers and cutting across racial and ethnic divisions.

His reach as an extension of Trump's argument will resonate in the Midwest, Appalachia and in other communities left behind by the globalist regimen of Obama, Biden and now Harris.

Contrast that with Harris, who continues pretending everything in this country is the best it has ever been.

She is out of touch with what is going on in this country and has no connection to this nation outside the coastal elite zones.

Vance, a non-elite, strengthens Trump's argument and has reach in the middle of America Democrats do not have at present.
LMCane
he needs to stop playing the 'golly gee Gomer Pyle" bit when he first starts to talk.

every time he says "wow...wow.. wow" and starts laughing and pointing

IT IS THE VICE PRESIDENCY BRO- man up and act like you have been there.

there is a huge gravitas gap between Vance and Youngkin right now.

to the detriment of the party.

hopefully he will pull it together this week.
No Spin Ag
evan_aggie said:

TyHolden said:

VPs don't matter....

Vs

I couldn't agree more that Kamala's pick will be a white male.

More importantly, the pick will be someone from the states she needs but who will also be more dynamic, or at least as dynamic (I haven't seen JD speak yet) as Vance. The pick won't be a lame AF milquetoast type like who Hillary picked. He will be as firebrand as possible to that 2-3% who will decide the election.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
No Spin Ag
Im Gipper said:

PJYoung said:

Artorias said:

I agree.

lol. ZERO chance!
Yeah, I don't see him dropping Vance. The guy is solid for who Trump wants to court. Also, if Trump dropped him then that would mean Trump made a bad choice, which would go against his persona of always doing the right thing.

Besides, who would Trump replace Vance with?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Dave Robicheaux
AG
LMCane said:

he needs to stop playing the 'golly gee Gomer Pyle" bit when he first starts to talk.

every time he says "wow...wow.. wow" and starts laughing and pointing

IT IS THE VICE PRESIDENCY BRO- man up and act like you have been there.

there is a huge gravitas gap between Vance and Youngkin right now.

to the detriment of the party.

hopefully he will pull it together this week.

In a huge Vance fan. I read hillbilly elegy back when it came out. But I can't argue with that. I hope he has some public Affairs associate giving him feedback.
WestAustinAg
AG
Will Vance regret being picked by Trump?
BlueTaze
Pre-Biden drop out:
"Vance is a great pick, he will destroy Kamala. Def gonna win now."

Post-Biden drop out:
"No one votes based on VP pick."

It's very clear, JD was best pick once in the WH. But no way he nets any precious black votes. That demo is on record for admitting they only voted for Biden due to his VP pick.

You are lying to yourself if you think it's better to have JD right now, than Byron D.
txwxman
aggiegolfer2012 said:

I'd be willing to bet some of the better options found polite ways to decline. Taking certain cabinet positions or the VP spot is a pretty big risk. Trump expects a high level of loyalty and can end your political career with a truth social post if you don't meet his expectations.

Yup, there's a real risk of getting Penced.
txwxman
zb008 said:

I would usually agree with the opinions saying that the VP pick doesn't matter, but Trump is 78, so I think it matters to voters more than it usually would. Vance doesn't necessarily bring anything to the ticket that wasn't there before he was selected. I think a repeat of what Reagan did by picking HW Bush to be his VP after their contested primary should have been what Trump did by picking Haley instead of Vance. He could have given some ease to some of the never-Trump Republicans and some independent voters by picking her. I think Vance will end up being a net-negative when it comes to that. It does feel like an unforced error on Trump's part.

Trump Haley would be a formidable ticket, but doubtful Haley would accept. And no chance Trump could live with having a smarter woman being his subordinate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.