Will Trump regret picking Vance?

8,013 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by txwxman
DonHenley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vance sounded a lot like Jeb with his Mountain Dew joke (please laugh) and really hasn't sounded that great speaking so far. He doesn't have the cross over appeal that say Youngkin would have. Trump already has Ohio wrapped up, so no benefit there. In a VP debate instead of Kamala, he might go against Kelly or Shaprio and might not come out looking so good. I don't think Vance would cost Trump the election because Trump looks way better than Kamala, but I don't really see what Vance brings to the table. Other VP options had much more upside.
John Fisher Pessimist
AG
I think he would better in a debate than a speech
TyHolden
AG
VPs don't matter....
Artorias
AG
Nobody really cares about the VP.
captkirk
AG
No.
annie88
AG
I'm OK with the choice, but I think Byron Donalds would've been a good choice.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
Artorias said:

Until you have a president that gets killed or is compromised like Biden. Then they matter a lot.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
DonHenley
AG
I'll have to find his Ohio Senate debate clips. He's only gonna get one VP debate...hes gonna have to give a ton of speeches between now and election day. He has always struck me as a bit odd. I really hope Youngkin turned down a VP offer from Trump because he would have been a way better pick.
StandUpforAmerica
Jabin
I like Vance, but I also noted over the last few months that he was really sucking up to Trump and Don, Jr.

Trump really, really likes sycophants.
DonHenley
AG
Picking Sarah Palin helped torpedo any chances McCain had of winning
Phatbob
AG
A little early to toss him under the bus, isn't it? There's nothing to blame him for.
Artorias
AG
DonHenley said:

McCain was never beating Obama, no matter who he picked.
Tex117
AG
Studies have shown the VP pick doesn't help win elections… but it can hurt (see, Palin)
JDUB08AG
AG
DonHenley said:

Vance is nothing like palin. Not even close. Vance can run circles around anyone policy wise.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Vance doesn't do anything for me and he's only average height (not the tall white male leader prototype that I was taught was bad during my recent corporate DEI training).

But... what's important is, can he spell "potato"
javajaws
AG
Trump should have brought the heat with some Mace.
UntoldSpirit
AG
He should have picked Youngkin or Desantis. Politically, Youngkin was the right guy. Desantis would have been the best guy for the party and future.

Yougkin wins Virginia and Virginia wins the election regardless of the rust belt states.
HollywoodBQ
AG
We'll also have to see what SNL does and if they turn Vance's Hillbilly Elegy claim to fame into a recurring bit like what they did with Sarah Palin and "I can see Russia from my house".
aggiebq03+
Tex117 said:

Studies have shown the VP pick doesn't help win elections… but it can hurt (see, Palin)

Counterpoint: see Kamala
cecil77
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Vance doesn't do anything for me and he's only average height (not the tall white male leader prototype that I was taught was bad during my recent corporate DEI training).

But... what's important is, can he spell "potato"

And the school had given Quayle flash cards for the words. The school put "potatoe" on the card. Somehow that got overlooked.
cecil77
AG
Can't find the clip, but Trump/Vance on Fox interview. Trump starts to answer, Vance taps him on the knee and Trump says "ok, you take it" and Vance articulately and clearly answers. That was a huge positive sign for me.
Wes97
AG
Youngkin does not bring VA. Not even close.

If Trump wins VA then he is already winning a lot of other State's,

There sure are a lot of people on this board desperate to bring back warmed over Bushism. Sorry to let you know that the Bush era national Republican party is dead.

Trump needs to bring out working class voters. Especially those he won in 2016 and saw a significant slide down in voter enthusiasm with in 2020, The college educated internet voter solely concerned with "muh tax cuts" and supporting NATO is not winning any future national elections.
GAC06
AG
UntoldSpirit said:

He should have picked Youngkin or Desantis. Politically, Youngkin was the right guy. Desantis would have been the best guy for the party and future.

Yougkin wins Virginia and Virginia wins the election regardless of the rust belt states.

Trump was never going to pick someone that could challenge or overshadow him. He wants a loyal yes man.
2040huck
Who has Trump ever picked that he didnt regret?
93MarineHorn
Hey OP....."Get over it!"
AggieUSMC
AG
I'm not really seeing how the Mountain Dew joke is such a big deal. Someone help me out here.
suburban cowboy
AG
Artorias said:

Right. Until the Dem talking points come out to the media.
UntoldSpirit
AG
Wes97 said:

Youngkin does not bring VA. Not even close.

If Trump wins VA then he is already winning a lot of other State's,

There sure are a lot of people on this board desperate to bring back warmed over Bushism. Sorry to let you know that the Bush era national Republican party is dead.

Trump needs to bring out working class voters. Especially those he won in 2016 and saw a significant slide down in voter enthusiasm with in 2020, The college educated internet voter solely concerned with "muh tax cuts" and supporting NATO is not winning any future national elections.
OK, I could not disagree more with your "Youngkin does not bring Va" comment. He may win Virginia without Youngkin, but having him would have made it much more likely.

But more importantly, they can't cheat in Va as easily. He needs that path.

As for bringing back Bushism - that is beside the point and certainly does not apply to me. I'm talking about Trump winning and making sure he wins, not Bushism. Picking Youngkin does not bring back Bushism, certainly not in the next 4 years. After Trump, there will be a big war for the direction of the party regardless.

But of course, Trump missed this golden opportunity to dramatically increase his odds of winning.
bobbranco
AG
Who should be Trump's VP?
Dave Robicheaux
AG
Vance is a great pick
Dave Robicheaux
AG
cecil77 said:

Can't find the clip, but Trump/Vance on Fox interview. Trump starts to answer, Vance taps him on the knee and Trump says "ok, you take it" and Vance articulately and clearly answers. That was a huge positive sign for me.

aggie93
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

We'll also have to see what SNL does and if they turn Vance's Hillbilly Elegy claim to fame into a recurring bit like what they did with Sarah Palin and "I can see Russia from my house".
I think the last thing the Dems want is for people to think about Hillbilly Elegy and to watch that movie or read that book.

Vance doesn't hurt Trump but he doesn't really do much for him either. He was a safe pick. The only choices that would have moved the needle would have been DeSantis, Youngkin, or maybe Reynolds. There were also some picks that could have backfired on him.

Whomever said Mace she is a Palin starter kit, firebreather but also a moron. Not quite Boehbert level, more like MTG. I mean she went to a prayer breakfast and talked about having sex with her fiance. Scott, Donalds, etc. don't move the needle for Trump in terms of new voters. People that vote on race are voting for Democrats.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
bobbranco
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Artorias said:

Right. Until the Dem talking points come out to the media.
They have.

For starters.

Vance won't let you kill your baby.
Vance will take away all your birth control.
Vance will imprison you in a heartbeat.
Vance will make project 2025 rain down on you.
Vance will send your precious to pray away the gay camps.
etc.
Ellis Wyatt
DonHenley said:

Palin was the only reason I voted for the piece of **** McCain.

He was disgusting, and he proved it over many years, icing it with his thumbs down vote to defeat Obamacare. **** McCain.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.