Harrison Butker Commencement Speech at Benedictine College

15,201 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Carmine Scarpacio
JR Ewingford
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GigEmJake17 said:

People hate it until they realize childless and single women in their late 30s/40s are the most unhappy demographic. Older women with kids are the most happy.
This is actually interesting to me. Ex was an absolute smoke, 23yr old son but was never married. 44yrs old and still jumping from jobs and cities. She was an absolute *****, unhappy person. Actually drove my ass to therapy because I had never experienced something like it.
Bob Lee
AG
zag213004 said:

Why spend $35k plus on tuition alone per year at a college when you are more excited about getting married and having babies? If most women are most excited about getting an MRS degree wouldn't it make financial sense to go to a community college or at most a trade school? But then again this college acceptance rate is 98.8%

The pursuit of knowledge and truth is good in and of itself. We have a distorted view of formal education. Seems to me an education would be useful to someone who makes it their mission to have and educate children, no?
AvsB
Bob Lee said:

zag213004 said:

Why spend $35k plus on tuition alone per year at a college when you are more excited about getting married and having babies? If most women are most excited about getting an MRS degree wouldn't it make financial sense to go to a community college or at most a trade school? But then again this college acceptance rate is 98.8%

The pursuit of knowledge and truth is good in and of itself. We have a distorted view of formal education. Seems to me an education would be useful to someone who makes it their mission to have and educate children, no?
You could easily pursue the knowledge and truth via the internet and youtube better than a lot of these useless over priced college degrees.
RIP ATMHockey
Bob Lee
AG
AvsB said:

Bob Lee said:

zag213004 said:

You could easily pursue the knowledge and truth via the internet and youtube better than a lot of these useless over priced college degrees.

I have a degree from a college we could put in the same category as Benedictine, and I totally disagree. I couldn't have received the same quality of education and catechesis by reading the Summa from cover to cover or watching YouTube videos on St. Augustine on my own without someone to teach them to me. Interacting with people in an academic setting is edifying, and learning from experts and people wiser than you is better than trying to interpret things on your own that aren't necessarily perspicuous.
schmellba99
AG
ds00 said:

TarponChaser said:

There are some things that I can quibble with in Butker's speech but nothing major and nothing I'd really care to get into. But he's completely correct about the "diabolical lies" told to women.

The simple fact is that women, especially those of the "Third Wave Feminism" generation (ie- women currently in their late-30's to early/mid-50's" were told all the time about how "you can have it all" when for the vast, vast majority you cannot.

My wife and a number of her close girlfriends (a group of 10 or so) are extremely successful in their respective careers in their mid-40s. General counsel for a large oilfield services company, Regional VP for a public homebuilder, National Sales Directors at medical device companies, and physicians. All of them have kids. Most of them have husbands who also work and are successful as well. A couple have husbands who are HS teachers/coaches. The only one who isn't happily married is a woman who lost her husband a few years ago after he passed from a long battle with cancer.

Anyway, every single one of them feels like they were lied to about how "you can have it all." Because, every single one of them has felt like they had to sacrifice in either their family lives as wives and mothers or in their careers. The balance is difficult to achieve when they were told their entire lives how they wouldn't have to sacrifice anything to have any of that.

I don't know that any of them have regrets.

But, I find it somewhat rich that women(not so much this group of friends but in the media, etc) are feeling the consequences of these sacrifices in one area or another and so many make a big deal about it as being because of the "patriarchy" or whatever when these sacrifices of how to balance being your career, marriage, and parenting is something men have had to do for virtually the entirety of human history. We just didn't bleed all over the media about it until very recently.
I don't necessarily disagree with you about having it all, but traditionally and even today most fathers have been asked to sacrifice career much less frequently due to having a much smaller role in day to day parenting. Not saying all of course.
Disagree. Men sacrifice as much as women do when it comes to splitting careers and being parents. The difference is that, traditionally, it was expected for the man to be the primary provider and protector of the family, so the inherent sacrifices are considered normal when it comes to men. But they are sacrifices just the same.

Men, traditionally, spend the majority of their time away from their family at their jobs
Men, traditionally, are those that are called to battle and war and traditionally those that die in those events

Now, women have done the same since the dawn of time as well, but by in large the gender roles have followed more or less along the lines of those roles that nature designed for each sex - the men toiled in the fields providing for their families, they died in battle protecting their families. They were the primary provider and breadwinner. Women were the ones that bore and raised children and that, traditionally, ran the households, cooked and ensured that the children were taken care of, fed, nurtured and that the husband had a home to return to.

Simply because we view the traditional roles of a man as some type of sacrifice for a woman does not negate the fact that they are the same sacrifice for the man as well.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
AvsB said:

Bob Lee said:

zag213004 said:

In a vacuum sure you could. But, social growth and development don't happen on the internet and youtube. Time management, problem solving, maturity, and the beauty of human interaction and human connection don't happen in that space either. The college experience is all of those things. Sure you can get a job and do the internet/youtube thing in your free time.
schmellba99
AG
AvsB said:

Bob Lee said:

zag213004 said:

You can say that about a lot of things.

College is not just about the degree though, it is about a lot more - spreading your wings and leaving the safety and security of the only life you've really known, learning how to begin to navigate the world without instruction from your parents on every aspect, learning how to live, developing into your own person, etc.

There aren't many things that you couldn't learn on your own, but that isn't the purpose.
TarponChaser
schmellba99 said:

Simply because we view the traditional roles of a man as some type of sacrifice for a woman does not negate the fact that they are the same sacrifice for the man as well.

Exactly.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Harrison Butker gave a great commencement speech for the environment and crowd. The left will claim he is full of hate and bigotry, but they are intolerant of those with opposing viewpoints.
AggieVictor10
Noble07
AG
Quote:

Patrick Mahomes bows to the left and says he doesn't even talk to his kicker.
To be fair, it appears that Mahomes said this well before the graduation speech. So the two are not connected.
justnobody79
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Harrison Butker gave a great commencement speech for the environment and crowd. The left will claim he is full of hate and bigotry, but they are intolerant of those with opposing viewpoints.
he should keep his mouth shut. he needs to beat and sexually abuse women like the other players.
TAMU1990
AG
What's ironic is most of his teammate support his views. They have stay at home wives. Nothing is going to happen.
TAMU1990
AG
TommyBrady said:

Nobody talks to kickers. It's tradition.
Infection_Ag11
AG
TommyBrady said:

Because of football player superstition. He says he doesn't talk to him in the regular season, which is a very comm on thing in football. Kickers isolate themselves during the season because they are head cases. Mahomes said they talk and are friendly in the offseason. And he said all this long before any of this controversy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TommyBrady
AG
I'm sure he will come to his defense shortly
Infection_Ag11
AG
Mahomes can say pretty much whatever he wants at this point, he's hit the "can't be canceled" level of fame and social influence. And he's also a super awkward dude who seems to struggle with social norms. Combine the two and nothing he does or doesn't say would really surprise me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TommyBrady
AG
I can't wait to see him stand up for his teammate
pimplepopper
AG
Our Bishop in Fort Worth needs to watch this.
Thaddeus73
AG
Make him Archbishop...Because no Catholic Archbishop enunciates the Truth like he does...
4stringAg
AG
Good on Butker for his speech. To hell with the intolerant woke leftists and their change.org petition.

Also wonder how in any way he was being racist yet they had that in their petition.
Stonegateag85
College is a great place to meet someone of similar ilk and family values. The Greek scene is a great example to be 100% honest.
YouBet
AG

Quote:

"His views are not those of the NFL as an organization. The NFL is steadfast in our commitment to inclusion, which only makes our league stronger."

Is there a more Pavlovian NPC response than this right now aside from "black people being disproportionately impacted" upon waking up and having to remember how to breathe?
Fat Black Swan
AG
ProgN
Yeah, she just politely gave a double finger salute to whiney ass progressives. Butker is not going to be fired, no matter the number of online protest signatures or pressure the left attempts to put on them.
mjschiller
AG
Awesome. ALL communists hate the message.
Marvin J. Schiller
Urban Ag
AG
ProgN said:

Yeah, she just politely gave a double finger salute to whiney ass progressives. Butker is not going to be fired, no matter the number of online protest signatures or pressure the left attempts to put on them.
Yep. There are so many millions of women in this country just like her.

My wife graduated from A&M the same day I did but we didn't meet until about four months later. Her job was being an elementary teacher. Her career was to be a wife, mother, and homemaker. We ran in to each other one night and the rest was history. Boxes all checked. 24+ years of marriage later still going strong.

She spent 11 years doing the career wife and mom thing and she rocked it. Then she stumbled in to a career outside of the home/marriage that she wanted. Not for the money, because she actually wants to do it. And good for her.

Most of the women I have known over the last 15-18 years are pretty much the same. And it's a good thing. And families and marriages are stronger because of it.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

As of Thursday, Butker's jersey appears to be among the most in-demand fan gear on NFL.com.
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/chiefs-harrison-butker-jersey-ranked-among-nfls-best-sellers-amid-kickers-faith-based-commencement-address
fixer
AgBQ-00 said:

to see the left meltdown over this is hysterical. yet we are supposed to sit quietly by while they pervert little kids and dismember kids in utero. No. The time for live and let live is over. Time for boldness and unapologetic traditional values to make a comeback.
AMEN.
Faustus
Stonegateag85 said:

Where is the woke mob calling for the heads of all the women abusers in the league?
They're out there.

Ray Rice never played again after his punch went viral. Lots of Watson haters abound although he was just suspended for half a season rather than run out of the league. Nothing will happen to Butker, so I'm not sure where you're going with that.
Stonegateag85
The point was that the woke mob isn't as loud about them as they are about Butker.
Owlagdad
zag213004 said:

Well, if you are husband shopping, do you want Blinn guy or A&M guy?
Urban Ag
AG
Pretty brilliant move by Butker. Play a few more seasons in the NFL and end op on Fox and Friends.
Daveintx
What does Taylor and Travis have to say about it since that seems to be the NFL's go to
StandUpforAmerica
All the NFL needs now is for Tyreek Hill or Antonio Cromartie to start bashing Butker.

I'm voting for DeSantis in the primary, but will happily vote for Trump in the general election if he wins the primary.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.