*** Official Trump Hush Money Trial Thread ***

585,968 Views | 6803 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by jt2hunt
pacecar02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What about the congressional slush fund from a few years ago that was funded by tax payers

What about that can of worms?

Quote:

Congressional fund for sexual harassment
The Congressional Fund for Sexual Harassment is a fund established in 1995 to settle complaints of sexual harassment and other forms of workplace misconduct in the legislative branch of the US government. The fund is administered by the Office of Compliance (OOC) and is funded by the US Treasury.
History and Purpose
The Congressional Accountability Act of 1995 was enacted to address concerns about workplace harassment and discrimination in the legislative branch. The law created the OOC to investigate and resolve complaints of sexual harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. The fund was established to provide a means of settling these complaints and to provide relief to victims of harassment.
Funding and Scope
The fund is unlimited and is funded by the US Treasury. The fund has been used to settle a wide range of complaints, including sexual harassment, discrimination, and retaliation claims. The fund has paid out at least $15 million to settle complaints since its inception in 1997.
Recent Developments
In recent years, there have been several high-profile cases of sexual harassment and misconduct in Congress, leading to increased scrutiny of the fund and its handling of complaints. In 2018, Congress passed a bill requiring lawmakers to pay out of pocket for sexual harassment settlements, rather than using taxpayer funds.
Key Facts
  • The fund has paid out at least $15 million to settle complaints since 1997.
  • The fund is unlimited and is funded by the US Treasury.
  • The fund has been used to settle a wide range of complaints, including sexual harassment, discrimination, and retaliation claims.
  • The fund is administered by the Office of Compliance (OOC).
  • In 2018, Congress passed a bill requiring lawmakers to pay out of pocket for sexual harassment settlements, rather than using taxpayer funds.

no sig
Prosperdick
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

FbgTxAg said:

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I actually think it will help Trump if they convict him. I know polls say otherwise, but making a martyr out of him is gonna galvanize his base and even squishy Never Trumper Repubs/Independents have to look at that result and be completely appalled.

I think it circles the wagons. But I've been wrong before.
His base is already galvanized. He needs votes beyond his base. Current trends suggest he might get there due to FJB's ongoing implosion. But a guilty verdict could swing enough back the other way to tip it to FJB.

I've been clear I'm no longer a Trump fan, but this trial is absolute BS and pure political persecution. I'm hoping he beats it out of a simple sense of fairness and to say *#$% to the Dems.
Any on the fence voter who looks at this trial with an ounce of objectivity will vote for Trump because they will rightly recognize how warped and corrupt our judicial system has become.

Also, this will resonate YUGE with the black community who can recognize a railroad job when they see one.
Im Gipper
Quote:

Also, this will resonate YUGE with the black community who can recognize a railroad job when they see one.

Think he might crack that 15% mark?

I'm Gipper
dallasiteinsa02
My belief is that Trump didn't know anything when it was happening. Cohen was getting push aside and was out completely when Trump won. He bought for Trump hoping regain his favor like look I had your back. Trump was pissed and eliminated his bonus. He was out. Cohen then extorted him on the backend. He was having tax and legal issues. He was desperate. Trump paid him to go away.
txags92
AG
shiftyandquick said:

I'm just curious if any of you actually believe Trump. For example that he knew nothing about this and the encounter that Stormy described is entirely made up out of whole cloth.
I am curious why the party that said what Bill Clinton did with Monica in the Oval Office was none of our business now thinks we should care who a billionaire was screwing 10 years before he ever became president? Nobody cares about Stormy because it isn't what this case is about. He paid her good money to shut up and she didn't. All of the rest of this is just sour grapes by Cohen. They found somebody who Trump pissed off and milked a trial out of it for something that isn't even a crime.

I'm just curious why you think politically driven prosecutions of election opponents are good for our country?
taxpreparer
AG
aggiehawg said:

txags92 said:

Marvin_Zindler said:

If for some reason this jury is hung (slim chance), does that seal this election for Trump?
He is going to be ready to let loose on a few people when the trial finally finishes and the gag order is over.
Gag order is not over until sentencing because it is still a pending proceeding, is my understanding. Could be wrong about that, however. NY law is screwy.

If it is a hung jury, isn't this trial over? A pretrial would be a new jury (and maybe judge?), yes? Thus the gag order would have expired.

Just a layman's view of the law.
Stat Monitor Repairman
We coming up on the 2-minute warning of this Trump hush money trial so that means it's time for the Aflac trivia question.

Which case had the longer jury charge?

The 2006 Enron trial involving 28 counts of conspiracy, fraud and insider trading brought against Jeff Skilling and Ken Lay which spanned 14 weeks and involved 54 witnesses;

OR

The hush money trial against former president Donald Trump.

Answer after the break.
Bryan98
AG
shiftyandquick said:

I'm just curious if any of you actually believe Trump. For example that he knew nothing about this and the encounter that Stormy described is entirely made up out of whole cloth.

Before the trial I was positive he hit that. Now, I'm honestly not sure. In that sense, the trial has improved my image of him.
RafterAg223
AG
shiftyandquick said:

What exact crime is he guilty of beyond a shadow of a doubt here, lefty? I'll wait.
BlackLab
AG

Marvin
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

FbgTxAg said:

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I actually think it will help Trump if they convict him. I know polls say otherwise, but making a martyr out of him is gonna galvanize his base and even squishy Never Trumper Repubs/Independents have to look at that result and be completely appalled.

I think it circles the wagons. But I've been wrong before.
His base is already galvanized. He needs votes beyond his base. Current trends suggest he might get there due to FJB's ongoing implosion. But a guilty verdict could swing enough back the other way to tip it to FJB.

I've been clear I'm no longer a Trump fan, but this trial is absolute BS and pure political persecution. I'm hoping he beats it out of a simple sense of fairness and to say *#$% to the Dems.

Interesting. I have stated here before that I held my nose and voted for Trump because of the alternative. Now I am all in and ready for a barrage of mean tweets from the Oval Office once he gets back. His moral shortcomings pale in comparison to the Stalinist behavior shown by the prosecution and by Democrats in general. Pack the courts, purge the deep state, unwind everything the sitting potato has done, and dance naked on their desecrated graves. Screw every last memory of this despicable and unconstitutional vaudeville troupe.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag with kids
AG
shiftyandquick said:

What does that have to this case? Other than the prosecution using it to obfuscate the charges...
shiftyandquick
Ag with kids said:

shiftyandquick said:

What does that have to this case? Other than the prosecution using it to obfuscate the charges...
Just wondering if you believe the man is honest.

Or is he more like his chief of staff said. John Kelly:

"The depths of his dishonesty is just astounding to me. The dishonesty, the transactional nature of every relationship, though it's more pathetic than anything else. He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life," the retired Marine general has told friends, CNN has learned.

The defense is arguing that he knew nothing about any of this. And that does in fact go towards whether he is guilty or not. Or why else would that be his defense?
Philip J Fry
AG
You think Trump is the first politician in history to pay for his problems to go away?
Ag with kids
AG
Im Gipper said:

Quote:

Black women will still vote the same as they always do...

Black MEN might be swayed enough to break that 15%. As he said, they know a railroad job...
normalhorn
shiftyandquick said:

Ag with kids said:

shiftyandquick said:

"The depths of his dishonesty is just astounding to me. The dishonesty, the transactional nature of every relationship, though it's more pathetic than anything else. He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life," the retired Marine general has told friends, CNN has learned.

The defense is arguing that he knew nothing about any of this. And that does in fact go towards whether he is guilty or not. Or why else would that be his defense?

Surely you believe that Biden is an honest man.
He's got decades of doing nothing, nothing, but telling it straight, never lying, backtracking, plagiarizing, molesting, and on and on.
If you think he's dishonest, put up or shut up. Post the hard facts that prove your opinion.
Do it….
...take it easy on me, I'm a normal horn
The Shank Ag
BadMoonRisin said:

Don't love the use of mentally challenged as both it's in a negative connotation and not the best nomenclature to get across the point he's trying. My son has Down syndrome and will know right from wrong, even more than he does now (only 2.5). Deniro either doesnt or is purposely lying to push the leftist lunacy

So 1) let's not demean people that do have differences in mental development, lumping them in with bad actors (I mean his politics and things he does because of them, not his actual acting)

2) Deniro is Websters definition of a-hole
Aggie95
AG
KatyAggie2000 said:

I already see how this plays out if at least one juror isn't as competent as a high school junior. So, if guilty.

-Judge will announce sentencing on June 27 am (day of first debate). Coincidence? Hell no.
-Sentence to 4 mos. in jail, beginning immediately.
-Let's sleepy joe off the hook and they can say..."sorry, can't debate a criminal/inmate."
-4 mos. sentence takes us to end Oct. allowing zero time for campaigning, debates, etc.

In this scenario, what does the RNC/delegates do?

So if you had to place % odds...what does the 2024 election ballot look like:

A) Trump v Biden
B) Biden v TBD
C) Trump v TBD
D) TBD v TBD
Ag with kids
AG
shiftyandquick said:

Ag with kids said:

shiftyandquick said:

Ok, so you're doubling down.

What do EITHER of your 2 posts have to do with this case? Since, nothing you have posted in either have ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING related to what this case is about.
Ag with kids
AG
shiftyandquick said:

Ag with kids said:

shiftyandquick said:

Trump is an *******. He's flawed. I don't like him.

That aside, this case is a pile of *****

Your premise here in the bolded shows you have ZERO idea about what has occurred in this case or even what the charges are related to him.
captkirk
AG
shiftyandquick said:

Ag with kids said:

shiftyandquick said:

As far as I know, there was zero evidence introduced that Trump directed his accountant to record the transaction in a certain way or that he was even aware how it was recorded.
captkirk
AG
Philip J Fry said:

You think Trump is the first politician in history to pay for his problems to go away?
Not illegal
taxpreparer
AG
shiftyandquick said:

Ag with kids said:

shiftyandquick said:

Are you sure he was not talking about Biden? Sure sounds like Biden to me.
backintexas2013
AG
He doesn't care. You can tell he doesn't follow any of this. It's all Orange Man Bad
Ag with kids
AG
shiftyandquick said:

Ag with kids said:

shiftyandquick said:

BTW...

I'm quite impressed that after it was told to multiple friends of Gen Kelly and then apparently told AGAIN to CNN (since they "learned" it), that they were able to get such a distinct quote that had no differences in it from what Gen Kelley said.
Im Gipper
Ag with kids said:

Im Gipper said:

Quote:

Black women will still vote the same as they always do...

Black MEN might be swayed enough to break that 15%. As he said, they know a railroad job...

Well black men went 20% for Trump in 2020 so if he can't get over 15% in 2024 he's (we're) in deep trouble!

I'm Gipper
richardag
birdman said:

Reality Check said:

The fact they're asking to hear any of this, imho, is a bad sign for The Donald because it means they're actually parsing through Cohen's testimony as opposed to having reached the conclusion 99.9 percent of us would come to -- that he's a lying POS whose every word should be ignored.
It doesn't mean all twelve of them think that.
The cynic in me makes me wonder if the requests for transcripts came from the 2 lawyers on the jury who are trying to steer the jury to conviction.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
txags92
AG
shiftyandquick said:

Ag with kids said:

shiftyandquick said:

Let me let you in on a little secret. All politicians lie. And it isn't a crime unless it happens under oath and you can prove it was a lie…like Bill Clinton. Is Trump lying about Stormy? Probably. And you know what? That isn't a crime. None of what happened in this case is a crime. The only crimes that have been proven are the two Cohen admitted to committing himself on the stand, theft and submitting fraudulent invoices.
eric76
AG
BlackLab said:

That doesn't sound at all likely.

My understanding is that for a guilty verdict, they have to find him guilty of committing the crime of concealing another crime but they do not have to prove the other crime that they believe he was concealing.

It would be interesting to see the relevant case law on this.
ef857002-e9da-4375-b80a-869a3518bb00@8shield.net
backintexas2013
AG
[If you're going to be disrespectful to other posters then take a break -- Staff]
eric76
AG
txags92 said:

Let me let you in on a little secret. All politicians lie. And it isn't a crime unless it happens under oath and you can prove it was a lie…like Bill Clinton. Is Trump lying about Stormy? Probably. And you know what? That isn't a crime. None of what happened in this case is a crime. The only crimes that have been proven are the two Cohen admitted to committing himself on the stand, theft and submitting fraudulent invoices.
That doesn't seem to be true at all.

By your logic, a scammer cannot be convicted for trying to scam you unless he first takes an oath to tell the truth.

We could pretty much eliminate the crime of fraud.

For what it's worth, I'm more than happy to leave this up to the jury. They heard the evidence and are tasked with arriving at a verdict. If they come back with a verdict of guilty, that's fine with me. If they come back with a verdict of not guilty, that's fine with me. They are doing their job.
eric76
AG
pacecar02 said:

eric76 said:

BlackLab said:

That doesn't sound at all likely.

My understanding is that for a guilty verdict, they have to find him guilty of committing the crime of concealing another crime but they do not have to prove the other crime that they believe he was concealing.

It would be interesting to see the relevant case law on this.
You cannot be that dumb?

You don't know what the Bee is?
Say what?

Edit: Oh. I see it now. The Babylon Bee. That flew completely over my head.

I thought it was about not proving the crime that was being concealed which is apparently not required to be proven, only the crime of trying to conceal it.
pacecar02
[Ditto -- Staff]
VegasAg86
AG
eric76 said:

txags92 said:

That doesn't seem to be true at all.

By your logic, a scammer cannot be convicted for trying to scam you unless he first takes an oath to tell the truth.

We could pretty much eliminate the crime of fraud.

For what it's worth, I'm more than happy to leave this up to the jury. They heard the evidence and are tasked with arriving at a verdict. If they come back with a verdict of guilty, that's fine with me. If they come back with a verdict of not guilty, that's fine with me. They are doing their job.

He's talking about the lies politicians tell every day.
aezmvp
Yup every politician is then guilty of fraud. We're going to be in real deep real quick.
First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 195

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.