Inflation "More Than Expected"

14,678 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by LMCane
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
4stringAg said:

There have been 50% at least price increases over the last couple years on many grocery items.

Back of the napkin real inflation from bills and things I pay feels more like 25-30%
My dog is 13 years old and we've been buying the same bag of dog food from Hollywood Feed for at least the last 8-10 years. It's always been around $30. Last time we bought a bag it jumped to $40. That's a 33% increase on a product that had pretty much flat pricing.

Inflation is hitting in so many areas people aren't even considering that they aren't aware of it until they look at how much they're able to save each month (sorry, NOT save).
bobbranco
AG
Agreed. There is some China type of reporting (outright fabrication) with some numbers.
StandUpforAmerica
Who knew at the time that we would look back so fondly on Clinton's two terms.
I'm voting for DeSantis in the primary, but will happily vote for Trump in the general election if he wins the primary.
bobbranco
AG
Logos Stick said:

nortex97 said:

And there are posters on this thread/site pulling for Xiden's re-election.

The majority on the left only care about KILLING BABIES AND THE UNBORN social issues now.
Logos Stick
Birdwatcher said:

Time to reign in corporate greed again FTC just released a report about grocery price fixing . Big surprise but the big 7 food manufacturers and the big 4 grocery chains had record profits this quarter. Until corporations get the screws put in them, inflation will never slow down

yeah, corporate greed!

they just got greedy under Biden, folks!

Under Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump, they were not greedy!

Big Food has finally figured it out!

LOLOL
bobbranco
AG
StandUpforAmerica said:

The dot.com economy and fawning press saved Clinton's ass.
LMCane
Logos Stick said:

So it was 3.2 last month and 3.5 this month. LMAO!!! Take out food and energy and its 3.8%.

Seems we are going in the wrong direction. Powell should have raised rates already.

and Wall Street has literally been stating in their official metrics that they expected SIX rate cuts in 2024. then 4 rate cuts, then 3 cuts!!

now I bet that plunges down to 1.

and the entire market has been running based on these rate cut predictions.

this could be painful.

The last few months I have been rotating out of DIA, ONEQ and SPY into individual stocks

but will still get crushed if the broader markets begin to crack.
StandUpforAmerica
bobbranco said:

StandUpforAmerica said:

The dot.com economy and fawning press saved Clinton's ass.

Agreed... but compared to the next two Dem presidents.........
I'm voting for DeSantis in the primary, but will happily vote for Trump in the general election if he wins the primary.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Birdwatcher said:

Time to reign in corporate greed again FTC just released a report about grocery price fixing . Big surprise but the big 7 food manufacturers and the big 4 grocery chains had record profits this quarter. Until corporations get the screws put in them, inflation will never slow down

When you make this claim, are you saying grocery stores are making higher margins? Or are they just making the same margins with inflated prices? I'm betting the second, but if you have any evidence to the contrary, I would love to see it.
B-1 83
AG
Sims said:

Birdwatcher said:

Record profit $'s or record profit margins?
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Business haters often play the "record profits" card without noting context.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Quote:

Inflation "More Than Expected"

Dufflepud
22% increase in cash flow expenses for me since December of 2021 here in College Station.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Birdwatcher said:

Hello Joe, didn't know you had a TexAgs account.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Ellis Wyatt
We really need a "gaslighting" flag option.
LMCane
this was a REAL NEWS ARTICLE published about how we had nothing to worry about regarding inflation when the Fed and USG began to spend trillions during Covid.

This is real

Ellis Wyatt
4stringAg said:

bobbranco said:

From last March 2023

https://rollcall.com/2023/03/15/introducing-the-presidential-inflation-rate-biden-trails-only-carter/

Energy under Biden and Obama. Sheesh. Direct result of their sacrifices to the climate change grift/religion.
Hussein promised that energy prices would necessarily skyrocket. That's the easiest way to control people.

And lots of idiots want him to "govern me harder, daddy."
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

Check out that poster's history. It's really…something.
akm91
AG
Quote:

it would be cool if someone could go back over the last 3 years and total up ALL the increases in inflation.
CPI in Jan 2021: 261.582
CPI in Mar 2024: 31.332

Inflation since Biden took office: 19.5%
Ellis Wyatt
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

Check out that poster's history. It's really…something.
I'm familiar. He probably works for the government.
one safe place
Birdwatcher said:

How much profit should a "corporation" be allowed? Who gets to decide the allowable profit level for a "corporation"? Is the allowable profit the same for all "corporations" in every industry or are some industries allowed higher profits than others? Would a partnership or LLC be allowed the same profit level as a "corporation" or do they differ?

Why is it that all who blame those evil "corporations" never form their own, go into business, and run it such that they make minimal profits?
cevans_40
AG
Sims said:

Birdwatcher said:

Don't ask legitimate math questions to a liberal
Owlagdad
Y'all reckon, ole Joe could sit down and discuss this with us?
MouthBQ98
AG
Inflation is sticky. Once prices rise, they are slower to retreat, as they rise out of necessity as a last resort, but once they are more normalized or tolerated, retailers are loathe to engage in competitive price reductions as supply stabilizes and costs decrease until there is increased competitive pressure to do so. That takes time.

Also, as massive amounts of market data and analysis is now available, larger corporations can rapidly adjust prices to optimize market conditions. This is a result of technology and automaton and data driven decision making and it does affect how markets work, as in they can effectively settle on the same prices for the same goods without any direct collusion, as they will have similar supplier costs and similar operating expenses in the same markets. Amy adjustment that one makes can be quickly matched or countered by another, within hours or even less. This actually removes incentive to compete by offering a discount as market share can't be gained easily in doing so if a similar competitor is in the market in that geography.
CDUB98
AG
Birdwatcher said:

Tell me you don't understand how business works without telling me you don't know how business works.
AG
Great, facts are presented in response to a post and mass deletions occur.

Logos Stick
FTR, the average profit margin across a wide cross section of industries is almost 10%.

Grocery stores now are well under the average at 6%.

But yeah, Big Food has gotten greedy and that's the cause of this outrageous inflation!
MelvinUdall
Birdwatcher said:

I have seen some goaltending on this site, but this has to be the most head scratching I have ever seen.
Fenrir
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

I don't understand why staff deleted the posts they did (including his elaboration and support for his argument) but left his original, completely unsupported assertion up.
FrioAg 00
AG
It's really not that complicated

National Debt has soared relative to GDP (roughly 120% compared to a long term average of <60%)

Inflation of goods and services (or deflation of the USD) has to correct for that - meaning prices are going to double over a relatively short period of time (15 years if we are lucky, 5 if we are not).

Average wages will not move much, and the total amount of consumption you can acquire will halve. Start planning accordingly.

Economics always win. What is left to be negotiated is how much disruption or violence rides shotgun for the correction.
cevans_40
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Inflation is sticky. Once prices rise, they are slower to retreat, as they rise out of necessity as a last resort, but once they are more normalized or tolerated, retailers are loathe to engage in competitive price reductions as supply stabilizes and costs decrease until there is increased competitive pressure to do so. That takes time.

Also, as massive amounts of market data and analysis is now available, larger corporations can rapidly adjust prices to optimize market conditions. This is a result of technology and automaton and data driven decision making and it does affect how markets work, as in they can effectively settle on the same prices for the same goods without any direct collusion, as they will have similar supplier costs and similar operating expenses in the same markets. Amy adjustment that one makes can be quickly matched or countered by another, within hours or even less. This actually removes incentive to compete by offering a discount as market share can't be gained easily in doing so if a similar competitor is in the market in that geography.
So, like, a global economy, isn't really a good thing?
Sims
AG
Fenrir said:

I don't understand why staff deleted the posts they did (including his elaboration and support for his argument) but left his original, completely unsupported assertion up.
This is one of the most annoying things to me. Well laid out and sourced response full of pertinent facts and data points gets deleted by the big brush auto delete because it was related to a troll post.
Opalka
AG
I don't know what you folks think politicians can do to bring down inflation. Is there some kind of magic law that need proposed/passed? I've read that the biggest influence right now is housing.....people are willing to pay crazy amounts for the limited housing. Should the FED raise or lower interest? There is no law that's going to fix this. If people are willing to continue to pay higher prices, continuing the demand for goods and services, nothing will change.
Ag87H2O
AG
Prices in my industry are up overall between 50-60% since January 2021.

I think this is pretty close to real price increases across the board.

This administration is full of liars that will say or claim anything it takes to get reelected. They and their media accomplices would try to sell the public on the sky is green if they thought that's what it would take to win.

Scary thing is, they've painted our economy into a corner, and now we are facing even higher inflation or staggering levels of interest on the national debt as they refinance it at higher interest rates.
AG
Fenrir said:

I'll state my theory again to the particular argument. Many, many more people are eating at home due to pricing and inflation. Much more groceries, better for the grocery industry.

ttu_85
Sims said:

Birdwatcher said:

He will not know the difference. Bird watchers watch birds not economics or current affairs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.