IBM ultimatum Return to Office - Or Else

13,678 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by HollywoodBQ
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like either:
  • They've got a lot of expensive office space that's vacant
  • They want people to quit rather than have to do a layoff
  • Or, productivity has fallen to levels where they need to watch people
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/ibm-to-managers-rto-or-leave-5924172/
Quote:

Effective immediately, all U.S. managers must be in-office at least three days a week, and their badge swipes will be tracked and shared with supervisors and HR, said Senior Vice President John Granger in the note. Managers who don't live within 50 miles of an IBM facility, a source told Bloomberg, must move closer by the beginning of August or "separate" from the company.
Office attendance stayed basically flat in 2023, per data cited by Bloomberg; for the 10 largest U.S. business districts, it sat around half of pre-pandemic numbers.
It's going to be real interesting to see how this and similar moves by other companies play out during this election year in Biden's economy.
BQ78
AG
Why not all 3
redag06
Fortune 500 company here, and they flat out we have been flat out told, "we spend a lot of money on our building, you are coming back"
Mike Hancho
Lot of companies are recalling becuase their commercial real estate values are falling, they're losers holding a bad egg but they wont allow it so they're changing the rules to bend in their favor.

Theres a reason hybrid / wfh jobs are extremely desirable.
samurai_science
Lowering headcount through attrition looks better than a mass layoff
Rapier108
Good, time to tell people to either come to work and do their job, or find other employment.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
zoneag
samurai_science said:

Lowering headcount through attrition looks better than a mass layoff
Yep, this is a layoff without calling it a layoff
Sims
AG
Quote:

Effective immediately, all U.S. managers must be in-office at least three days a week.
Oh, the horror.
Aglaw97
AG
The majority of management teams do not like WFH and view a hybrid (at least three days in the office) as already being flexible. You can have debates about whether that makes sense, whether it works in your job, etc. but it doesn't change the reality.

Like most things, nobody wanted to be the first mover on throwing down this hammer but now that companies have started doing it, more and more will follow suit.
El Gallo Blanco
[Stop bypassing obscenity filters -- Staff]
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
if your an employee you have to acquiesce or look for another job. that said there is a part of me that thinks they can **** off. all these corporations opened pandora's box to go along with a hoax virus to play politics. they continue to run their companies in the ground with their DEI BS. so while i understand the dynamics of the employee employer relationship i can't help but think these dumbasses are getting the response they deserve.
NASAg03
Rapier108 said:

Good, time to tell people to either come to work and do their job, or find other employment.

Ok boomer.

I've been working remote the past 4 years and have seen my salary raise 60% in that time, while starting my own consulting business, helping start a robotics company with 4 other remote guys spanning the US, and working for a space company that's aiming for a lunar landing next month.

And that company I helped start is now 40 strong and majority remote.

If you need to be supervised to work efficiently, then that's not efficient as it requires many more resources. Instead rethink your culture and business model.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
Mike Hancho
I have a boss like this.

His entire life revolves around work, sends me emails at 5am and wonders why i havent responded to them by 7am
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

and working for a space company that's aiming for a lunar landing next month.
Y'all goin' dark side?
eiggA2002
AG
These stories are all so tiresome. Heaven forbid people actually have to make it into the office 60% of the week. If you don't like working in an office find a job that lets you work remote as much as you want with no restrictions. If you worked for a company that was never remote before it shouldn't be a surprise if they want to go back to in-person.
Muy
AG
Aglaw97 said:

The majority of management teams do not like WFH and view a hybrid (at least three days in the office) as already being flexible. You can have debates about whether that makes sense, whether it works in your job, etc. but it doesn't change the reality.

Like most things, nobody wanted to be the first mover on throwing down this hammer but now that companies have started doing it, more and more will follow suit.

The majority of management? I guess it depends on the industry but in tech the majority of managers WFH as well.
Ayto Siks
Their most talented employees will have viable WFH alternatives and IBM might end up retaining the mediocre performers with limited options.
AGinHI
AG
NASAg03 said:

Rapier108 said:

Ok boomer.

I've been working remote the past 4 years and have seen my salary raise 60% in that time, while starting my own consulting business, helping start a robotics company with 4 other remote guys spanning the US, and working for a space company that's aiming for a lunar landing next month.

If you need to be supervised to work efficiently, then that's not efficient as it requires many more resources. Instead rethink your culture and business model.
That is really cool. Sincerely.

I used to like my field - psychology - with an understanding and acceptance of its limitations; however, their recent takes following Covid, George Floyd, unethically assessing politicians they have never met (i.e., Trump), presuming they are qualified to speak about things like "climate change," let alone the replicability crisis, which is probably all but forgotten, and the psychologization of every aspect of life giving rise to priests of a new religion replacing actual faith based beliefs that have drastically declined like never before, have left me disillusioned to say the least.

All of that to say - do you have any entry level positions?
Rapier108
I never once got to work from home during the WuFlu hysteria.

I was in the office every single day, doing the job of a dozen people who should have been in the office as well.

Not sorry for thinking people need to get their butts back to work and not just sit at home pounding on the keyboard whenever they feel like it.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Ellis Wyatt
I cannot believe there are people who are still working from home because of the covid hysteria. If an employer has determined WFH is good for them, more power to them. Otherwise, go the hell back to the office. People are not dedicating 8 hours to their employer at home.
harge57
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Sounds like either:
  • They've got a lot of expensive office space that's vacant
  • They want people to quit rather than have to do a layoff
  • Or, productivity has fallen to levels where they need to watch people
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/ibm-to-managers-rto-or-leave-5924172/
Quote:

Effective immediately, all U.S. managers must be in-office at least three days a week, and their badge swipes will be tracked and shared with supervisors and HR, said Senior Vice President John Granger in the note. Managers who don't live within 50 miles of an IBM facility, a source told Bloomberg, must move closer by the beginning of August or "separate" from the company.
Office attendance stayed basically flat in 2023, per data cited by Bloomberg; for the 10 largest U.S. business districts, it sat around half of pre-pandemic numbers.
It's going to be real interesting to see how this and similar moves by other companies play out during this election year in Biden's economy.

I can almost 100% guarantee this is it.
C@LAg
TIL IBM is still around.
Athanasius
AG
I'll take 'else'
schmellba99
AG
NASAg03 said:

Rapier108 said:

Ok boomer.

Yeah.....because EVERY job and EVERY industry is EXACTLY the same in how they operate. EXACTLY the same.

You and your buddies can pull it off - good for you, it works. But here's a bit of a hint - if people were to be truly honest, WFH is a reduction in efficiency and productivity, and you 100% miss out on the day to day interaction with your other coworkers and team members. In many industries - engineering, construction, manufacturing, etc. that is an absolutly vital component of getting the work done effectively.

I enjoy working from home when I can, make no mistake about it, but it doesn't work in every industry and trying to say because it works for you it must automatically work for everyone everywhere in every company in every industry is just stupid.
Texmid
AG
NASAg03 said:

Rapier108 said:

Ok boomer.

Are you hiring?
Ellis Wyatt
schmellba99 said:

Yeah.....because EVERY job and EVERY industry is EXACTLY the same in how they operate. EXACTLY the same.

You and your buddies can pull it off - good for you, it works. But here's a bit of a hint - if people were to be truly honest, WFH is a reduction in efficiency and productivity, and you 100% miss out on the day to day interaction with your other coworkers and team members.
This guy is admitting that he is stealing his employer's time. Seems like employers are right to want their employees in the office with oversight.
Logos Stick
They will lose talent. Good. They are a garbage company now.
schmellba99
AG
I will also say this - post covid WFH or sit on your ass and get paid for nothing, the overall quality of production has dropped to absolute garbage levels. I have vendors that can no longer tell me when I'll get materials or equipment fabricated and on site, because their workforce is a shell of what it used to be.

Customer service in any and all industries is crap. It is not a stretch at all to say that shutting everything down and taking an already entitled and somewhat lazy country and telling them to not work and stay home has absolutely killed production, quality, work ethic and general attitudes of a vast majority of people, and it has not come back. And honestly, the more WFH there is, the longer I think it will take to come back.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a company saying "you need to come to the office". Up until the covid nonsense, that was normal for the overwhelming majority of people, it's not a new concept.
schmellba99
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

schmellba99 said:

You and your buddies can pull it off - good for you, it works. But here's a bit of a hint - if people were to be truly honest, WFH is a reduction in efficiency and productivity, and you 100% miss out on the day to day interaction with your other coworkers and team members.
This guy is admitting that he is stealing his employer's time. Seems like employers are right to want their employees in the office with oversight.
Way to try to change the subject, but you do you and rock on with it.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Who even buys typewriters anymore???
Ginormus Ag
AG
Before Covid our office building was 100% full. If I got to the office after 9:00 am I had to park in the way back. There was a waiting list for the covered spots and they cost $150
a month.

Now I can park in the same spot right next to the building anytime of day. We pretty much have our unofficial designated parking spots. I was offered a covered spot for $35 a month. There are probably 10 to 15 available. Our lease was supposed to increase $0.25 a foot this year. They are still invoicing us the same price pre Covid. I would bet 50-60'%! Of the building is vacant and has been for over a year. I wish our lease was up for renewal before 7/26.
BG Knocc Out
Rapier108 said:

I never once got to work from home during the WuFlu hysteria.

I was in the office every single day, doing the job of a dozen people who should have been in the office as well.

Not sorry for thinking people need to get their butts back to work and not just sit at home pounding on the keyboard whenever they feel like it.
I hear you, but I'm also not sorry for the improvement in my quality of life and the extra time I can spend with my family. I hated strictly working from home but our hybrid schedule (2 days in office) is the perfect balance for me and one of the only good things to come out of Covid to me.

A lot of good conservative Christian people are now more present in their kids lives and have more influence and more time to bond.

I respect the heck out of mom and pops who did not cave to the Biden mandates, but I will never forgive my company and almost all other big companies that were threatening their employees if they didn't get vaccinated. As others have mentioned, they are also basically mouth pieces that do the bidding of the left nowadays as well.

Just about every single big company is pushing the cancerous toxic woke/DEI crap. I respect your work ethic, but I have zero respect for my company and just about every other company.
rausr
AG
Those messages just scream leadership and trust...

...using the stick or the carrot?
Beat40
Ellis Wyatt said:

I cannot believe there are people who are still working from home because of the covid hysteria. If an employer has determined WFH is good for them, more power to them. Otherwise, go the hell back to the office. People are not dedicating 8 hours to their employer at home.
I hate to break it to you, but people are not dedicating 8 hours to their employer at the office either.

Now, I happen to agree with your overall sentiment. Some people cannot handle WFH and they are going to let too many distractions keep them from being productive, but that definitely happens at the office too.
Deputy Travis Junior
schmellba99 said:

But here's a bit of a hint - if people were to be truly honest, WFH is a reduction in efficiency and productivity...

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Early in my career I worked a few years at a mega Corp that had the coffee shop and fitness center on-site, all that crap. My team routinely took 30 minute breaks 2x per day and 2 hour lunches. When we were up against a deadline, we worked hard, but there was tons of **** around time.

All these "you have to go to the office to get crap done" types... It's just not reality. People were getting fired for being useless and doing nothing long before covid and WFH showed up on the scene.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.