IBM ultimatum Return to Office - Or Else

13,689 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by HollywoodBQ
BG Knocc Out
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will say this...for most, I do not think exclusively WFH is a good thing. It is good to get out and interact with people as we are social beings...the flex schedule gives me the best of both worlds.

I thought WFH was cool for the first couple weeks of the pandemic, then I absolutely hated it as I get bad cabin fever, and it felt good going back into the office a couple days a week and having in-person interactions.
LMCane
Our corporate headquarters group all have offices near each other for this reason as mentioned above

not just formal meetings which happen all throughout the day, but hearing what others are discussing, being able to join discussions in the kitchen area or the conference rooms, or walk 5 feet to someone's office and clarify what needs to be happening

you can't do that remotely. no matter how many Teams/Zoom video calls it's not the same thing when the President of the company wants to discuss parts of a merger or acquisition
Petrino1
I recently started working in a full time office role after being remote for a long time. My boss travels for work 90% of the time, and my coworkers are either remote, or work on project sites in other cities. Most days, I'm the only person from my team in the office. Our meetings are typically done remotely.

There is zero reason for me to work in an office everyday when my entire team doesn't work here. But hey, at least there's free coffee right!

I had more collaboration and interaction with coworkers and bosses when I was working remotely than I do now.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

schmellba99 said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

schmellba99 said:

Yeah.....because EVERY job and EVERY industry is EXACTLY the same in how they operate. EXACTLY the same.

You and your buddies can pull it off - good for you, it works. But here's a bit of a hint - if people were to be truly honest, WFH is a reduction in efficiency and productivity, and you 100% miss out on the day to day interaction with your other coworkers and team members.
This guy is admitting that he is stealing his employer's time. Seems like employers are right to want their employees in the office with oversight.
Way to try to change the subject, but you do you and rock on with it.
I'm not trying to change the subject. The nasa dude was admitting to stealing his employer's time, which I am guessing he would not do if he were in his office. I have enough trouble with lazy employees in the office. If they were at home, they would do nothing.
No he didn't. You read into his post what you wanted to. Because he didn't have other distractions, he was able to complete his work without having to work overtime. People on a salary would prefer not to work overtime, and would rather use that time towards other endeavors
Burdizzo
AG
It always surprised me how companies will splurge on some technology while pinching pennies on others. Last place I worked we had all sorts of streamlined processes like centralized project management, asset tracking, GPS and video tracking of company vehicles, etc. But if I wanted to take time off for personal or medical leave, I had to print a PDF form, hand write the dates and times, sign in ink, get my supervisor to sign in ink, and give it to an admin who manually entered it into the payroll and leave system.
BG Knocc Out
Steal from your company any time you can. You are nothing to them. Next time a lib politician orders them to fire you for not getting an experimental therapeutic, they will not hesitate to hurt you and your family. They also actively push toxic divisive woke BS nonstop that hurts company culture and American culture.

Take what you can from your company and do not feel bad about it. Assuming you don't work for an honest small business. I am talking about big corporations.

You and your family are nothing to them.

Funny how loyal boomers are to these woke mega corporations. Those days are over.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Muy said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Muy said:

But let's be honest, could anyone here go into an Indian-based tech office everyday? I can't imagine.
I worked for a big US tech company for a decade in both Los Angeles and Sydney.
I made a lot of business trips to our offices around Asia - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, South Korea, China, Japan, New Zealand, etc.

What surprised me the most when I first went to Bangalore in 2012 was that they had the nicest offices and had the fastest Internet connection. Everything was brand new.

Some of the Internet connections at offices across Australasia were terrible. In fact, when I first got to Sydney in 2007, our Internet access routed through Singapore and Japan before going out to the Internet.

When I last drove past that Bangalore office in Feb. 2020, you could see that the exterior of the building was starting to look bad due to a lack of maintenance. I'm sure it's worse today but probably still nicer than many of the US offices.
Guess I confused it with Indian call centers.
I just remembered another funny one from the BLR office.

The power in Bangalore was very unreliable (worse than Puerto Rico).

So what they did was, they gave everybody laptops and put the network infrastructure on a UPS.

When the power went out at random times during the day, your Internet still worked and your laptop still worked so, you could keep working.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Tex117 said:

I think the three days in the office a week (maybe 4) is the best mix.

Too much time at home you get distracted. Too much time in the office you get distracted.
When I worked in a Sales office in Los Angeles (El Segundo), the guidance was to be in the office at least 2 days a week but not more than 3.

The perception was:
If you were in the office more than 3 days a week, you weren't selling.
If you were in the office less than 2 days a week, you weren't working.
cecil77
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

cecil77 said:

How to factory workers WFH? Warehouse employees? Any business requiring a service (like auto, tires, etc)? Retail? Food Service?

There are huge numbers of workers that actually have to be where the work is. So if you're a manufacturing company, it's tough for the white collar guys to get to WFH and not ever be there. Just doesn't work.

SOME interaction is beneficial in many, if not most businesses.

10 years ago the hybrid 2-3 days in the office model would have been unthinkable.

I would question any employee who doesn't want to ever come in. I'd probably go to printed paychecks that have to be picked up at the office...

10 years ago, the technology wasn't nearly as accommodating. Most of us work for big corporations with zero loyalty who see us just as replaceable tools. They push vile left wing woke BS and were going to fire those who refused the vaccine, until a judge finally stepped in.

Forgive some of us for wanting to spend more time with out loved ones, vs. two hours in the car each day.

Kids need their father's presence and influence in their lives more than ever these days. The new flex model is a good thing for that. One of the only good things to come out of Covid.

We get it though, you old codgers love to be away from home and to brag about how good you are at it!

Uhhh... I've worked from the home, ie lived in my office, I since 1996. And yeah using PCAnywhere was a hoot, but I got DSL in 96.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Burdizzo said:

It always surprised me how companies will splurge on some technology while pinching pennies on others. Last place I worked we had all sorts of streamlined processes like centralized project management, asset tracking, GPS and video tracking of company vehicles, etc. But if I wanted to take time off for personal or medical leave, I had to print a PDF form, hand write the dates and times, sign in ink, get my supervisor to sign in ink, and give it to an admin who manually entered it into the payroll and leave system.
Previous employer used a timekeeping system that only ran on Windows.

Everybody who had a Mac had to run a Windows VM solely for the purpose of logging in to the timekeeping system to request vacation, sick leave, etc.

One of my Mac users got smart and figured out how to request a virtual desktop system from Corporate IT. I thought it was a creative way to workaround the problem. Until I found out that the internal chargeback value for that virtual desktop system was $100/mo.
infinity ag
Independence H-D said:

It's all about the buildings. Real estate makes up a huge part of many companies. Their values are plummeting.

That too. The politians are worried that sales tax collections are going down as restaurants downtown close. So they call up CEOs to bully them to call employees back.
rausr
AG
Quote:

Competent management would not make broad across the board dictates that speak more to their own incompetencies than to anything resembling actual management.

Well said.
infinity ag
Lake08 said:

Crazy how 180 degrees have happened. Workers are literally mad because they have to go to an office and WORK!

Highly dumb take.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

Most of us work for big corporations with zero loyalty who see us just as replaceable tools.

Quote:

Quote:

Using census data, the WSJ calculated that 36.2 percent of people worked at either a large (2,500 to 9,999 people) or very large (10,000 or more people) company, versus 38.9 percent who worked for small (100 or fewer people) companies and 24.9 percent who worked for mid-sized (100 to 2,499 people).There are 33,185,550 small businesses in the United States. Small businesses employ 61.7 million Americans, totaling 46.4% of private sector employees. From 1995 to 2021, small businesses created 17.3 million net new jobs, accounting for 62.7% of net jobs created since 1995.

torrid
AG
I thought this was about the potential "The Office" reboot.
Daddy
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

if your an employee you have to acquiesce or look for another job. that said there is a part of me that thinks they can **** off. all these corporations opened pandora's box to go along with a hoax virus to play politics. they continue to run their companies in the ground with their DEI BS. so while i understand the dynamics of the employee employer relationship i can't help but think these dumbasses are getting the response they deserve.

Agree
Definitely open Pandora's box and went along with the hooks but asking employees to actually show up to work is insane that this is actually something that has to be asked I've never stopped being in the office one day during covid

100% agree with you damn this corporations for going along with this hoax
The Orangeman Returns with Thunder
LMCane
schmellba99 said:

I will also say this - post covid WFH or sit on your ass and get paid for nothing, the overall quality of production has dropped to absolute garbage levels. I have vendors that can no longer tell me when I'll get materials or equipment fabricated and on site, because their workforce is a shell of what it used to be.

Customer service in any and all industries is crap. It is not a stretch at all to say that shutting everything down and taking an already entitled and somewhat lazy country and telling them to not work and stay home has absolutely killed production, quality, work ethic and general attitudes of a vast majority of people, and it has not come back. And honestly, the more WFH there is, the longer I think it will take to come back.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a company saying "you need to come to the office". Up until the covid nonsense, that was normal for the overwhelming majority of people, it's not a new concept.

and customer service in restaurants and pharmacies and consumer facing businesses is horrendous

then we get to be asked for a "tip" to make my $16 smoothie

(I don't eat smoothies anymore)
BG Knocc Out
cecil77 said:

Quote:

Most of us work for big corporations with zero loyalty who see us just as replaceable tools.

Quote:

Quote:

Using census data, the WSJ calculated that 36.2 percent of people worked at either a large (2,500 to 9,999 people) or very large (10,000 or more people) company, versus 38.9 percent who worked for small (100 or fewer people) companies and 24.9 percent who worked for mid-sized (100 to 2,499 people).There are 33,185,550 small businesses in the United States. Small businesses employ 61.7 million Americans, totaling 46.4% of private sector employees. From 1995 to 2021, small businesses created 17.3 million net new jobs, accounting for 62.7% of net jobs created since 1995.

I would bet that most of "us" educated folk on Texags work for a company that pressured us to get the vaccine and push liberal BS. If not "most", then a sizeable portion.
Muy
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

cecil77 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would bet that most of "us" educated folk on Texags work for a company that pressured us to get the vaccine and push liberal BS. If not "most", then a sizeable portion.

Big tech employee here. I waited them out, then a couple of days before had a therapist write a letter about the mental anxiety it was causing me. Took them 3 months to respond, and by then the mandate had been lifted.

Victory.
BG Knocc Out
Muy said:

BG Knocc Out said:

cecil77 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Big tech employee here. I waited them out, then a couple of days before had a therapist write a letter about the mental anxiety it was causing me. Took them 3 months to respond, and by then the mandate had been lifted.

Victory.
I work for a big RE company...with a newborn at the time, it truly was causing me some stress/anxiety. Thankfully, someone on here posted how to basically create an exact replica of a vaccine card, paper thickness and all.

Texags staff, of course, kept taking it down out of loyalty and allegiance to Joe Biden/Big Brother, and the idea of forging vaccine cards was really making some male Karens MAAAAAD (TeslaAg being one of them) but it was posted several times on here and I think a lot of people used that to get their employer off their back.

I heard our company was really making it tough on people trying to go through the religious waiver process. Luckily that judge put a halt to the mandate as well.
Muy
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

Muy said:

BG Knocc Out said:

cecil77 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Victory.
I work for a big RE company...with a newborn at the time, it truly was causing me some stress/anxiety. Thankfully, someone on here posted how to basically create an exact replica of a vaccine card, paper thickness and all.

Texags staff, of course, kept taking it down out of loyalty and allegiance to Joe Biden/Big Brother, and the idea of forging vaccine cards was really making some male Karens MAAAAAD (TeslaAg being one of them) but it was posted several times on here and I think a lot of people used that to get their employer off their back.

I heard our company was really making it tough on people trying to go through the religious waiver process. Luckily that judge put a halt to the mandate as well.

We had a group of folks in our NY office who did the fake vax cards, got busted and terminated.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
These threads are so stupid because they lack context. It depends on the industry and type of company for work from home to work vs not.

I have a manufacturing company, and while office hours are SUPER flexible, we require people to be in the office every work day. Edit: even my sales managers because it isn't fair to the mfg people to not be work from home and the sales team to be allowed to. We all do this together, and I am in every day as well.

I also have a real estate company, and that one is completely work form home unless you are on site.

Software developer? Probably ok to WFH if you have pretty nice intercompany communications set up to track progress and milestones.

Want to manage a manufacturing floor while working from home? I am probably firing you because you are a moron to think that is remotely acceptable or responsible to even try.
BG Knocc Out
Muy said:

BG Knocc Out said:

Muy said:

BG Knocc Out said:

cecil77 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Victory.

We had a group of folks in our NY office who did the fake vax cards, got busted and terminated.
Damn, that sucks. I wasn't too nervous because they just asked us to upload screenshots to the company website and I did mine to exact specs. Also used a lot # I researched online and a Vietnamese fella's name, to make it super realistic. Also, we are not in a blue state and I don't think management WANTED to have to fire anybody, so they probably weren't going to break out the magnifier and do forensics like a bunch of liberal freaks would.

Actually, I was a tad nervous...but 95% confident I would say. One thing I KNEW, was that I was not going to comply. I wasn't even scared of the vaccine or anything at the time or concerned about adverse effects, just knew that I handled Covid just fine, but most importantly, that I am not going to let ANYONE make medical decisions for me or intimidate me into doing so.

I am still furious over the whole thing and astounded at how few Americans really cared. It was pure tyranny. Unforgettable and unforgiveable.
pagerman @ work
AG
LMCane said:

schmellba99 said:

I will also say this - post covid WFH or sit on your ass and get paid for nothing, the overall quality of production has dropped to absolute garbage levels. I have vendors that can no longer tell me when I'll get materials or equipment fabricated and on site, because their workforce is a shell of what it used to be.

Customer service in any and all industries is crap. It is not a stretch at all to say that shutting everything down and taking an already entitled and somewhat lazy country and telling them to not work and stay home has absolutely killed production, quality, work ethic and general attitudes of a vast majority of people, and it has not come back. And honestly, the more WFH there is, the longer I think it will take to come back.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a company saying "you need to come to the office". Up until the covid nonsense, that was normal for the overwhelming majority of people, it's not a new concept.

and customer service in restaurants and pharmacies and consumer facing businesses is horrendous

then we get to be asked for a "tip" to make my $16 smoothie

(I don't eat smoothies anymore)

And none of these types of jobs would ever be work from home. The quality of work done in those jobs has nothing to do with whether people in office jobs are in the office or at home.
“Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. It's inherent virtue is the equal sharing of miseries." - Winston Churchill
The Fife
Muy said:

But let's be honest, could anyone here go into an Indian-based tech office everyday? I can't imagine.
I can.

Source: went to grad school at A&M and was in engineering
annie88
AG
In Biden's America no one wants to work anymore. Fire every single one of them that doesn't come back. This isn't really hard. Enough of this *****
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Lol, forgot about how hard people raged about fake vax card instructions.

What a time to be alive!
infinity ag
annie88 said:

In Biden's America no one wants to work anymore. Fire every single one of them that doesn't come back. This isn't really hard. Enough of this *****

Let me guess, you are 70+ years old.
javajaws
AG
infinity ag said:

annie88 said:

Do you really have to be 70 to do what your employer tells you to do? You don't have to like it, and you don't have to work for them - it's a free country. But if your employer tells you to do something pertinent to your job then maybe perhaps you should do it?
Sharpshooter
AG
infinity ag said:

annie88 said:

Good Lord. Can you spell shallow?
Saxsoon
AG
People aren't dedicating 8 hours in the office either
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Noble07
AG
I work for a large company that filled a lot of jobs remotely nationwide 2020-2022. They've mandated the 3-day in office policy and it sucks for all of the reasons mentioned (Teams calls only, no in person interactions, etc).

One thing that I will add is the remote only environment sucks with the range of time zones. Unless the call is b/w 10am-4pm CST it's really inconvenient for someone. If an office is Hybrid but located in the same metro area that would be ideal to me because you get quality in-person collaboration time, everyone can have the same type of workflow, and hopefully have time to get lunch during the day.

I've also noticed that some of our recent grads really struggle in this environment. I personally enjoy going to the office (provided that the commute isn't bad) but I totally get the range of preferences.
cecil77
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

cecil77 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's not my experience among the TA people I know. Posting on T A is peak 8 to 5. Helps to get the be self employed or small business to get away with that.
annie88
AG
infinity ag said:

annie88 said:

I'm 57 and retired. Never had any problems going into an office for 30+ years. Now all of a sudden people are whining little ass babies and can't do it. Let me guess you're 23-33? That's the no work ethic generation.

Look, if they don't want to work at a place that requires them to come into an office they can work somewhere else. The employer gets to dictate how it works. Again, I'm sure your generation can't understand that.

At the beginning of negotiation for a job if part of it is working at home then that's great. If it can work, that's fine but again, it's the employer's choice, not the employee. Quit whining.

And by the way, you need to work on your math skills. I'm clearly class of 88.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Ag with kids
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

cecil77 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I work for the TAMU system - aka the State of Texas. Our CEO (Gov Abbott) said no to forced vax...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.