Home price index reaches all time high

61,756 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by MemphisAg1
Agthatbuilds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tex117 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I dont want to overly bias you. I'm in what I would consider a niche market.

The guys who build spec home can build for less than 250 sqft and many less than 200. This is austin, BTW. Our product is very different than theirs.

And the production builders build for less than that but the market sets the rate for their homes and they can help control that market by increasing or decreasing the number they build every year.

Here's an analogy:

Production builders build Kia souls
Spec builders build Hyundai elantras
Semi custom/build on you lot guys build Camrys
We build high end bmws and Mercedes, with the occasional Maserati or lambo
Others build lambos and Ferraris
Some build Maybach

We need more souls, elantras, and camrys.
Then why don't more builders more into that space? Not "exciting" enough? Need more volume to turn a profit? (more like commodities)?

And why is Austin right now so difficult to build in? (I have theories, of course, but want to hear yours).

Austin is difficult to build in because:

The city is an absolute nightmare to work with, at every phase. Permitting, codes, city directives, inspections, tree/environmental people, zining requirments-The list is endless. I spent about 5 grand to protect one tree because the tree inspector kept threatening to red tag my job recently.
You want to call the permit department to get a question answered?? Call the general 311 line, get transferred over, and wait a week for a return call. Want to go into the office? Sign up for a slot a week in advance because no one goes into the office anymore.

Need a tpole or power transfer wait starts at 2 weeks, can last as long as 4 and they give no notice when it's your day.

The land is difficult. You mostly either have expansive clay or solid rock, usually on some sort of challenging topography. Either of those conditions can add 10s of thousands to a project

Existing land is sparse- there's almost 0 open buildable lots in austin proper. Therefore, one must buy an existing house for the land, tear it down and start over. That comes with its own set of challenges. One time, the city wouldn't let me tear down a house because some judge lived in it long ago. We had to then move the house. Where it went, I have no idea, but it's not in austin. So, what was the point? This problem means clients are almost guaranteed to spend and extra 500k-1 million just acquiring the land

Architecture/engineer- austin is a Architect driven market..we do really nice homes. The city requirements basically demand an architect be involved to some degree and that adds costs. Same with the engineer- all of our homes have a structural engineer, a mechanical engineer and sometimes a lighting "engineer." Yes, the houses are much better, but the soft costs are crazy

Labor- there's not enough skilled labor and those that do exist and are any good are super expensive. My framer went from about 16/sqft in 2018 to wanting 26 or 28 today. My plumber had to pay his crew chief 80 grand a year just to keep him. His new guys get 20+/hr to dig holes

Everything is relatively expensive here from an overhead perspective- gas, insurance, theft control, site security, trash hauls (city makes you recycle or pay a fine if the sqft is above a certain number), surveys, testing and so on. It all gets passed through to the client in one way or another.
Agthatbuilds
Tex117 said:

jja79 said:

I've been doing it a long time and I'm astounded at the 30 and 40 somethings that do this with no problems.
But what do they do for a living?

Lots of IT people
Houstonag
AG
Move out of Austin or better yet move to the hill country. Better bang for our buck.
Tex117
AG
Yeah, all that definitely makes sense and is consistent with my understand of the difficulties of Austin.

But, hasn't this almost always been the case with the difficulties of dealing with the city? Is the difference now that there is less land to build on and prices for those lots (or even older homes) went bonkers there for awhile?

I've seen that Austin has been some of the hardest hit areas with respect to the decline in home prices.
bmks270
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Tex117 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I dont want to overly bias you. I'm in what I would consider a niche market.

The guys who build spec home can build for less than 250 sqft and many less than 200. This is austin, BTW. Our product is very different than theirs.

And the production builders build for less than that but the market sets the rate for their homes and they can help control that market by increasing or decreasing the number they build every year.

Here's an analogy:

Production builders build Kia souls
Spec builders build Hyundai elantras
Semi custom/build on you lot guys build Camrys
We build high end bmws and Mercedes, with the occasional Maserati or lambo
Others build lambos and Ferraris
Some build Maybach

We need more souls, elantras, and camrys.
Then why don't more builders more into that space? Not "exciting" enough? Need more volume to turn a profit? (more like commodities)?

And why is Austin right now so difficult to build in? (I have theories, of course, but want to hear yours).

Austin is difficult to build in because:

The city is an absolute nightmare to work with, at every phase. Permitting, codes, city directives, inspections, tree/environmental people, zining requirments-The list is endless. I spent about 5 grand to protect one tree because the tree inspector kept threatening to red tag my job recently.
You want to call the permit department to get a question answered?? Call the general 311 line, get transferred over, and wait a week for a return call. Want to go into the office? Sign up for a slot a week in advance because no one goes into the office anymore.

Need a tpole or power transfer wait starts at 2 weeks, can last as long as 4 and they give no notice when it's your day.

The land is difficult. You mostly either have expansive clay or solid rock, usually on some sort of challenging topography. Either of those conditions can add 10s of thousands to a project

Existing land is sparse- there's almost 0 open buildable lots in austin proper. Therefore, one must buy an existing house for the land, tear it down and start over. That comes with its own set of challenges. One time, the city wouldn't let me tear down a house because some judge lived in it long ago. We had to then move the house. Where it went, I have no idea, but it's not in austin. So, what was the point? This problem means clients are almost guaranteed to spend and extra 500k-1 million just acquiring the land

Architecture/engineer- austin is a Architect driven market..we do really nice homes. The city requirements basically demand an architect be involved to some degree and that adds costs. Same with the engineer- all of our homes have a structural engineer, a mechanical engineer and sometimes a lighting "engineer." Yes, the houses are much better, but the soft costs are crazy

Labor- there's not enough skilled labor and those that do exist and are any good are super expensive. My framer went from about 16/sqft in 2018 to wanting 26 or 28 today. My plumber had to pay his crew chief 80 grand a year just to keep him. His new guys get 20+/hr to dig holes

Everything is relatively expensive here from an overhead perspective- gas, insurance, theft control, site security, trash hauls (city makes you recycle or pay a fine if the sqft is above a certain number), surveys, testing and so on. It all gets passed through to the client in one way or another.

The people who created this bureaucratic obstacle course, and the people who campaign on the lack of affordable housing, are the same people.
fka ftc
bmks270 said:

The people who created this bureaucratic obstacle course, and the people who campaign on the lack of affordable housing, are the same people.
They are indeed the same people, and they are absolutely not sane people aka liberal / progressive / BIden voter.
Agthatbuilds
That's the truth. And the things they want to do to incourage more builds in the city are asinine.

They are about to only require 2500sqft lots to build on (need 7500 now). We're going to be able to build 3 house in the space of one.

They are removing any parking requirements and will probably alter tree protect and impervious cover requirments. I dont understand how they couldn't do so.

I don't think this to increase housing so much as it is to increase density and public transit use to fulfill some liberal utopian dreams
GaryClare
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

What did we ever do back when the interest rates were near 18%?

Oh yeah, I remember. We saved up for 20% down, didn't buy more than we could afford, and refinanced when rates went down.
You have to save 2.5x as long to purchase a home that costs 3x as much monthly. Interest rates are a portion of the equation, but they matter WAY less than price relative to income. Even at 0% interest rates it's more expensive/difficult to buy a home than it was in the early 80's.

Median House Price: 47,200
Median Household Income: 21,000
20% Down: 9,440
Interest Rate: 17%
Tax: 864/yr (72.00/mo)
HOI: 250/yr (20.80/mo)
P&I: 539.00
Total Payment: 631.80
Down payment percent gross income: 45%
Total payment percent of gross income: 16%

Median House Price: 416,000
Median Household Income: 81,500
20% Down: 83,200
Interest Rate: 7.5%
Tax: 7615 (634.59/mo)
Insurance: 2204 (183.67/mo)
P&I: 2327.00
Total Payment: 3145.26
Down payment percent gross income: 102%
Total payment percent of gross income: 46.3%

Thanks. Some people's inability to admit that economics were more favorable to them in the past is strange. And that's not to absolve the idiocy towards our current economic policies that this generation is perpetuating. I'm sure the millenials will be gaslighting the 30 year olds the same way in 30 years.
The reason old people don't have the ability to realize the economics were more favorable back in the day is probably because most of us lived quite differently than the young people do now. After 40 years of working 10 to 12 hours a day, things are starting to go pretty well for me. It's kind of like I'm an overnight success except it took two thirds of my life to get here. I now watch in wonder as the younger people buy luxuries that I would not even consider buying now. And I can afford pretty much anything I want to buy. But when I was in my twenties living off of the average college graduate salary, I lived in an apartment that you had to turn on the lights when you got home to allow time for the roaches to clear out and you turned on the A/C only long enough to knock the edge of the mugginess of the apartment. I had a fan and actually sweated at night to stay cool - in Houston. If I ever ate out it was at Whataburger or Taco Bueno, and that was rare. I didn't even have a credit card. When our generation ran out of cash you quit spending money. I remember looking at pictures at the store with the nice matting and framing and just did it myself with a print, a poster board for the mat and a frame from Target. It was not even a consideration to buy a "store bought" framed picture. I bought my clothes from Marshalls. I don't take my shirts to the cleaners, I did them myself on Sundays - saving a dollar a shirt. I bought used furniture and graduated up to damaged new furniture. Vacations? Please. There was no way I was spending money on a vacation. A Coke in a machine was 25 cents and I wouldn't buy one. Now I see the long lines at Starbucks? That's laughable. People paying $8 for whatever it is they buy there. I still won't go into a Starbucks. Potato chips and candy bars, no way, then and now. Back then (and pretty much still now) I went to the grocery store and only bought items with items with no ingredients - beef on sale, chicken, green beans, carrots, potatoes, etc.

Interestingly enough, my recent college graduate son says you can eat for $3 a meal - beef that is on sale and vegetables. He also likes Annie's Mac and Cheese. 20 years ago, an expense analysis showed we were spending too much on our Friday Mexican Food night. That led to "Nacho Night" at the house that led to a $300 a month savings. Before taxes you have to make $500 to take home $300. So I needed $6,000 a year extra salary to eat Mexican at a restaurant every Friday instead of having a better Mexican food night at home. Alcohol? If you are drinking alcohol, especially at a restaurant, you have no credibility with complaints on how "the current economic environment is so bad". People, young and old, feel like it is a divine right to have drinks whenever they want to have one. Stop drinking! Your body doesn't need the ethanol anyway! I watch people spend more on alcohol than food at a restaurant. Now a decent meal meal for two and a few drinks at a moderately priced place is $80. I ask my son's friends, who complain about not having any money, how often they eat out. "Pretty much very night". I just shake my head. And I know this is blasphemy, but if you are going to any, or all, of the Aggie football games - take a look at that one.

So you might say that this frugality is negligible in the big picture. It is not. I am currently on my 7th and 8th house. And every one of them was bought on a razor's margin. Life is a game of inches and every inch counts. You cannot get the same house as your parent's house. I think another problem with the present generation is that they lived too well in college and they expect to live better now that they have a job. I didn't live as well as my son or any of my son's friends lived in college until I was in my 30's. The way you "get into the housing market" is by starting off with a 1,600 square foot house in a blue collar neighborhood. Say $300,000. You need $60,000 to get into it. Can you find $10,000 a year with the average college graduate salary of 60 to 75k? Have you thought about a second job on nights and weekends? You could scrap up a down payment after 5 years working a side deal. Then I hear, "I am about quality of life" or "I am too tired to work a second job". Then I tell them to eat better (as in real food), quit drinking, work out 3 days a week, go to bed earlier and then you will not "be so tired". Then I get the eye roll and the "oh, Mr. Clare!" Then they trot off to dinner and their $2,000 a month apartment. Then it's Call of Duty with their online friends.

Relative to getting a house, you can't disqualify a house because it's not in the perfect neighborhood, up to date or you think of all the renovation it needs to get it to your unrealistic standards. Google "formica" and "linoleum". Forget "tile" and "wood flooring". Buy a house, live in it, fix it up yourself on weekends, build equity and move up. Live like that, with that strategy, for 30 years and you will probably end up with a nice house. Or live in a nice apartment with really nice amenities right now and watch the inflation this country is creating price you out of ever getting into a house and subsequently being behind the economic boulder your entire life. And you can keep complaining your whole life about your hard luck story, your unfortunate timing in life and how life isn't fair.

I could go on and on but 99% of the young people on here are going to give me the virtual eye roll. Maybe this will help the 1%. But I will say none of you young people will have any credibility when you whine and play the victim card when you live a life that is the 100% complete opposite of the lifestyle of the people you are criticizing.

The bottom line is your life is economically significantly better than my life. And my younger life was better than the life of the old guys before me who got on boats to go to Europe and the Pacific during WWII. And their lives were better than their old guys who went through the Depression. And their lives were better than their old guys who had to worry about getting killed by the Comanches. And their lives were better than their old guys who had to come over from Europe because they didn't have potatoes to eat. It goes on and on.

The primary life lesson I attempted to gift to my son: "Don't be a victim".

The Lost
GaryClare said:

you find $10,000 a year with the average college graduate salary of 60 to 75k?

Uh sir, the avg is under 60k. You clearly haven't searched for even bad apartments in a big city or its burbs in a long time. People def over spend, but also try saving a 401k, health insurance, being prepped for daycare. The monthly take home is lower than you think, congrats though if your kid is an engineer, which isn't normal or average.

We're about to start paying $2.2 for our 2 kids, and it's one of the cheapest day cares in the city. Luckily we bought in 2021, as we couldn't afford our current home today, or really any in kc.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/05/09/college-graduates-are-overestimating-starting-salaries-by-30000.html
YouBet
AG
jja79 said:

I'm sure there are lots of cash transactions but you would be surprised at the number of people that can qualify and finance these projects. I've been doing it a long time and I'm astounded at the 30 and 40 somethings that do this with no problems.
These homes are a dime a dozen in my formerly north Dallas hood. We are/were consistently blown away at the houses being built and wondering who in the hell all of these people are. Every one of them are $1.2M and up. We had a 1 story house right near us get gutted and flipped and it went on market for $1.7M. Absolutely absurd price since its peers were all $700k-$1M.

So, they were wanting a $1M premium for an updated inside and they got it. For a 1 story house at about 3200 sq feet!!!

I think many of the 30-40 yr olds building and buying homes at this price are using Boomer wealth inheritance to do it. There is alot of that happening right now.
Tex117
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

They are about to only require 2500sqft lots to build on (need 7500 now). We're going to be able to build 3 house in the space of one.

Would that not help you get more volume?
Tex117
AG
GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

Oh yeah, I remember. We saved up for 20% down, didn't buy more than we could afford, and refinanced when rates went down.
You have to save 2.5x as long to purchase a home that costs 3x as much monthly. Interest rates are a portion of the equation, but they matter WAY less than price relative to income. Even at 0% interest rates it's more expensive/difficult to buy a home than it was in the early 80's.

Thanks. Some people's inability to admit that economics were more favorable to them in the past is strange. And that's not to absolve the idiocy towards our current economic policies that this generation is perpetuating. I'm sure the millenials will be gaslighting the 30 year olds the same way in 30 years.
The reason old people don't have the ability to realize the economics were more favorable back in the day is probably because most of us lived quite differently than the young people do now. After 40 years of working 10 to 12 hours a day, things are starting to go pretty well for me. It's kind of like I'm an overnight success except it took two thirds of my life to get here. I now watch in wonder as the younger people buy luxuries that I would not even consider buying now. And I can afford pretty much anything I want to buy. But when I was in my twenties living off of the average college graduate salary, I lived in an apartment that you had to turn on the lights when you got home to allow time for the roaches to clear out and you turned on the A/C only long enough to knock the edge of the mugginess of the apartment. I had a fan and actually sweated at night to stay cool - in Houston. If I ever ate out it was at Whataburger or Taco Bueno, and that was rare. I didn't even have a credit card. When our generation ran out of cash you quit spending money. I remember looking at pictures at the store with the nice matting and framing and just did it myself with a print, a poster board for the mat and a frame from Target. It was not even a consideration to buy a "store bought" framed picture. I bought my clothes from Marshalls. I don't take my shirts to the cleaners, I did them myself on Sundays - saving a dollar a shirt. I bought used furniture and graduated up to damaged new furniture. Vacations? Please. There was no way I was spending money on a vacation. A Coke in a machine was 25 cents and I wouldn't buy one. Now I see the long lines at Starbucks? That's laughable. People paying $8 for whatever it is they buy there. I still won't go into a Starbucks. Potato chips and candy bars, no way, then and now. Back then (and pretty much still now) I went to the grocery store and only bought items with items with no ingredients - beef on sale, chicken, green beans, carrots, potatoes, etc.

Interestingly enough, my recent college graduate son says you can eat for $3 a meal - beef that is on sale and vegetables. He also likes Annie's Mac and Cheese. 20 years ago, an expense analysis showed we were spending too much on our Friday Mexican Food night. That led to "Nacho Night" at the house that led to a $300 a month savings. Before taxes you have to make $500 to take home $300. So I needed $6,000 a year extra salary to eat Mexican at a restaurant every Friday instead of having a better Mexican food night at home. Alcohol? If you are drinking alcohol, especially at a restaurant, you have no credibility with complaints on how "the current economic environment is so bad". People, young and old, feel like it is a divine right to have drinks whenever they want to have one. Stop drinking! Your body doesn't need the ethanol anyway! I watch people spend more on alcohol than food at a restaurant. Now a decent meal meal for two and a few drinks at a moderately priced place is $80. I ask my son's friends, who complain about not having any money, how often they eat out. "Pretty much very night". I just shake my head. And I know this is blasphemy, but if you are going to any, or all, of the Aggie football games - take a look at that one.

So you might say that this frugality is negligible in the big picture. It is not. I am currently on my 7th and 8th house. And every one of them was bought on a razor's margin. Life is a game of inches and every inch counts. You cannot get the same house as your parent's house. I think another problem with the present generation is that they lived too well in college and they expect to live better now that they have a job. I didn't live as well as my son or any of my son's friends lived in college until I was in my 30's. The way you "get into the housing market" is by starting off with a 1,600 square foot house in a blue collar neighborhood. Say $300,000. You need $60,000 to get into it. Can you find $10,000 a year with the average college graduate salary of 60 to 75k? Have you thought about a second job on nights and weekends? You could scrap up a down payment after 5 years working a side deal. Then I hear, "I am about quality of life" or "I am too tired to work a second job". Then I tell them to eat better (as in real food), quit drinking, work out 3 days a week, go to bed earlier and then you will not "be so tired". Then I get the eye roll and the "oh, Mr. Clare!" Then they trot off to dinner and their $2,000 a month apartment. Then it's Call of Duty with their online friends.

Relative to getting a house, you can't disqualify a house because it's not in the perfect neighborhood, up to date or you think of all the renovation it needs to get it to your unrealistic standards. Google "formica" and "linoleum". Forget "tile" and "wood flooring". Buy a house, live in it, fix it up yourself on weekends, build equity and move up. Live like that, with that strategy, for 30 years and you will probably end up with a nice house. Or live in a nice apartment with really nice amenities right now and watch the inflation this country is creating price you out of ever getting into a house and subsequently being behind the economic boulder your entire life. And you can keep complaining your whole life about your hard luck story, your unfortunate timing in life and how life isn't fair.

I could go on and on but 99% of the young people on here are going to give me the virtual eye roll. Maybe this will help the 1%. But I will say none of you young people will have any credibility when you whine and play the victim card when you live a life that is the 100% complete opposite of the lifestyle of the people you are criticizing.

The bottom line is your life is economically significantly better than my life. And my younger life was better than the life of the old guys before me who got on boats to go to Europe and the Pacific during WWII. And their lives were better than their old guys who went through the Depression. And their lives were better than their old guys who had to worry about getting killed by the Comanches. And their lives were better than their old guys who had to come over from Europe because they didn't have potatoes to eat. It goes on and on.

All of that text to not address the macro issue. Wow.

One can discuss the macro economic conditions. Which are a fact. Period. End of discussion. Without then swinging into "these darn kids" and their 8 dollar avocado toast. There are two different issues. You may be right. Probably are, but its a strawman to what is actually being discussed.

But the fact that home affordability being at its worst since 1984 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the expectations of a younger generation and all to do with policy decisions. You are proposing a way for an individual to try and navigate the market (again, probably right...and not one poster has disagreed with this). But that's not what the post you quoted is talking about.

Agthatbuilds
Tex117 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Build cost won't change. Who is going to by such a house without a yard, parking and right on top of neighbors. It's still 750o build sqft
GaryClare
AG
The Lost said:

GaryClare said:

you find $10,000 a year with the average college graduate salary of 60 to 75k?

Uh sir, the avg is under 60k. You clearly haven't searched for even bad apartments in a big city or its burbs in a long time. People def over spend, but also try saving a 401k, health insurance, being prepped for daycare. The monthly take home is lower than you think, congrats though if your kid is an engineer, which isn't normal or average.

We're about to start paying $2.2 for our 2 kids, and it's one of the cheapest day cares in the city. Luckily we bought in 2021, as we couldn't afford our current home today, or really any in kc.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/05/09/college-graduates-are-overestimating-starting-salaries-by-30000.html

Uh, ok. You act like life was a picnic for the entire history of the world right up until the time you got smacked in the face with the reality of life. I've lived in both eras - I say it's better now. Well, it's better from an economic and lifestyle perspective. I bet I'd be better off in 40 years if I started now versus where I am now with starting then. Morally it is another story. Our country is a cesspool compared to then. I'd be more worried about the country your children will live in morally than economically.

And my son is in the Army. As an enlisted man. It's funny that he isn't whining about the difficulties of life for this generation. Instead of whining, he is shopping at Walmart, cooking his own food, and saving for a downpayment for a house. Maybe it's just different for him. Well, it is different ... he's making way less than you.

I am trying to explain to people who have your victim mentality that there is a way and that you have to stop feeling sorry for yourself and figure it out instead. It has always been hard for everyone. You are not the selected generation that got screwed.

Oh, and in the "good old days" when life was easy, people couldn't afford daycare if it was even available. Back in the day, the mother used to take care of the kids, the kids all shared a bedroom in a 2 bedroom one bath house, the family had one car, they didn't eat out, they planned meals a month in advance, ate leftovers, packed a sack lunch, clipped coupons and rarely went anywhere.

I will say the edge for earlier generations is that the liberals hadn't taken over the cities and made them the crime and drug ridden cesspools they are today. A family could live in a modest neighborhood and be safe. But then again, how come the Hispanic areas of Dallas are nice where families walk down the streets with their families in the evenings? Or in the black neighborhoods in Glen Heights or DeSoto where there are nice, safe areas with modestly priced homes and people are walking their labordoodles down the sidewalks? How about Garland, Carrollton, Irving, RIchardson, Allen, Prosper, Melissa, HEB, Arlington, et. al.? All are pretty nice, solid neighborhoods. Maybe it is different in Kansas City.

I assume your 2.2 number for daycare is 2,200 per month. That takes a 50 to 55k salary before taxes to have someone raise your children. If both of you have jobs that can afford that much for child care, you are way better off than 99.99% of the population from any generation.

I wish you luck with your life. With your disposition it's going to be a tough one!

Tex117
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Tex117 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Build cost won't change. Who is going to by such a house without a yard, parking and right on top of neighbors. It's still 750o build sqft
Definitely sounds terrible, but would it potentially appeal to the young urbanite crowd where you can sell 1 of 3 for less than what a normal house on that lot would be priced at? In other words, cheaper to live closer to the city?

(I don't have any idea how builder economics work, so thanks you for the lesson).
Fenrir
Agthatbuilds said:

Tex117 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I ask myself this question but I see neighborhoods not too far removed from this all the time now. I can't imagine spending a million on a house just to be able to look at my neighbor in their bathroom.
GaryClare
AG
Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

One can discuss the macro economic conditions. Which are a fact. Period. End of discussion. Without then swinging into "these darn kids" and their 8 dollar avocado toast. There are two different issues. You may be right. Probably are, but its a strawman to what is actually being discussed.

But the fact that home affordability being at its worst since 1984 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the expectations of a younger generation and all to do with policy decisions. You are proposing a way for an individual to try and navigate the market (again, probably right...and not one poster has disagreed with this). But that's not what the post you quoted is talking about.

You can throw out your macroeconomics stats and manipulate them all you want to make yourself feel better. You act like everyone bought their house in 1984 at the perfect time in history. Even if that did happen, nobody was making money then either. At least our lifestyles reflected a lower economic lifestyle than present day America.

My parents bought their first home in 1973 for $17,000 after living in military apartment housing for the first 15 years of their marriage. That sounds cheap even for then but it was really a dump. The problem is that when they bought the house they couldn't afford furniture or air conditioning. My mother didn't get A/C until she lived in her west Texas house for 25 years. My "air conditioning" as a kid at night was lifting my bed sheet in the air and letting it settle down so the air would feel cool against my sweaty skin. So how good did they have it with "housing affordability" back in the day compared to the twenty somethings now?

Tell me one person in the 2000's that would give up air conditioning in their Houston apartment so they could go to law school? We both know the answer - no one. But my UT friend did it in the late 80's - you know, in the milk and honey days when it was easy and houses were cheap. Nobody lives in a house with a dirt floor these days or lives in a house with grass growing through the floor boards. That was my friends job in high school, to trim the grass with scissors in his living room. No Starbucks or avocado toast for him! He is a multimillionaire now. He just laughs about how f'ed up he started in life. He started his adult life in the Marines and he would laugh in anyone's face that would talk about the sob stories of today.

I will say it again. I had it better than my parents. And the next generation had it better than me. Maybe our edge is we were tougher than this generation. But again, we were not as tough as the generation before us ...

This generation is probably living the best lives of any generation in history yet they are determined to prove how bad of a deal they got to be born into this era. Maybe using the "miserable factor", they are correct.
Tex117
AG
GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

You can throw out your macroeconomics stats and manipulate them all you want to make yourself feel better. You act like everyone bought their house in 1984 at the perfect time in history. Even if that did happen, nobody was making money then either. At least our lifestyles reflected a lower economic lifestyle than present day America.

My parents bought their first home in 1973 for $17,000 after living in military apartment housing for the first 15 years of their marriage. That sounds cheap even for then but it was really a dump. The problem is that when they bought the house they couldn't afford furniture or air conditioning. My mother didn't get A/C until she lived in her west Texas house for 25 years. My "air conditioning" as a kid at night was lifting my bed sheet in the air and letting it settle down so the air would feel cool against my sweaty skin. So how good did they have it with "housing affordability" back in the day compared to the twenty somethings now?

Tell me one person in the 2000's that would give up air conditioning in their Houston apartment so they could go to law school? We both know the answer - no one. But my UT friend did it in the late 80's - you know, in the milk and honey days when it was easy and houses were cheap. Nobody lives in a house with a dirt floor these days or lives in a house with grass growing through the floor boards. That was my friends job in high school, to trim the grass with scissors in his living room. No Starbucks or avocado toast for him! He is a multimillionaire now. He just laughs about how f'ed up he started in life. He started his adult life in the Marines and he would laugh in anyone's face that would talk about the sob stories of today.

I will say it again. I had it better than my parents. And the next generation had it better than me. Maybe our edge is we were tougher than this generation. But again, we were not as tough as the generation before us ...

This generation is probably living the best lives of any generation in history yet they are determined to prove how bad of a deal they got to be born into this era. Maybe using the "miserable factor", they are correct.
Stop. This thread is not the soapbox for you to get on your stump and lecture anyone about anything. Save it for your kid.

Discussing FACTS (not manipulated....simple facts). Discussing the issues associated with 2+2=4 (a fact, just like how its a fact that housing affordability is at its lowest since 1984), is NOT the same as whining and complaining about 2+2=4 and doing nothing to try and account for that fact in individual behavior.

You see that, yes? You see what the quote you quoted, and see what you are saying, Right?

Happens time and time again on this topic. We went through it with Fka as well, and we were all actually getting somewhere discussing how this all works from a macro perspective....for builders, buyers, the whole bit).

GaryClare
AG
Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

Stop. This thread is not the soapbox for you to get on your stump and lecture anyone about anything. Save it for your kid.

Discussing FACTS (not manipulated....simple facts). Discussing the issues associated with 2+2=4 (a fact, just like how its a fact that housing affordability is at its lowest since 1984), is NOT the same as whining and complaining about 2+2=4 and doing nothing to try and account for that fact in individual behavior.

You see that, yes? You see what the quote you quoted, and see what you are saying, Right?

Happens time and time again on this topic. We went through it with Fka as well, and we were all actually getting somewhere discussing how this all works from a macro perspective....for builders, buyers, the whole bit).

Got it - I will stand down from the soap box!
Tex117
AG
GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

(You aren't wrong with your point, of course, just to be clear).

So, what do you think about the home affordability affecting the builders ability to try and meet demand?

GaryClare
AG
Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

So, what do you think about the home affordability affecting the builders ability to try and meet demand?

Ok, you asked! Since "macro" is what is being discussed, I think home builders need to build less expensive homes. People need homes and home builders need to sell homes. But as I see things from the sidelines with a macro perspective, people want homes that are nicer than are economically feasible. That comes from unrealistic expectations from the buyers. They won't buy homes that aren't to their standards so they rent. So builders are forced build nicer homes and they get expensive. A poster on this thread mentioned that he wouldn't pay x amount for a house that looked right into his neighbor's window. That's a current generation problem.

I had a friend that was Class of 83. He bought a house in Katy when Katy was new. 3 bedroom 2 bath, 2,000 square feet, $100,000. Looking back, it was all builder grade finish out but at the time I could not believe how nice it was and I couldn't believe anyone would (or could) spend one hundred thousand dollars (Dr Evil pinky to the mouth) on a house. Now, I would not step my toe in a house like that. And neither would anyone else with a college degree. Expectations have changed.

So, being off the soap box of course, i believe today's buyer's expectations exceed affordability. My experience with my son's friends, and from reading these types of threads, is that housing is affordable today if expectations are lowered. There are affordable houses out there, people just don't want to live in the houses they can afford. I get it, it's tough to swallow. But this generation isn't the first to swallow that bitter pill.
Tabasco
AG
Fenrir said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Tex117 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I ask myself this question but I see neighborhoods not too far removed from this all the time now. I can't imagine spending a million on a house just to be able to look at my neighbor in their bathroom.
Depends on the neighbor.
Tex117
AG
GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

Ok, you asked! Since "macro" is what is being discussed, I think home builders need to build less expensive homes. People need homes and home builders need to sell homes. But as I see things from the sidelines with a macro perspective, people want homes that are nicer than are economically feasible. That comes from unrealistic expectations from the buyers. They won't buy homes that aren't to their standards so they rent. So builders are forced build nicer homes and they get expensive. A poster on this thread mentioned that he wouldn't pay x amount for a house that looked right into his neighbor's window. That's a current generation problem.

I had a friend that was Class of 83. He bought a house in Katy when Katy was new. 3 bedroom 2 bath, 2,000 square feet, $100,000. Looking back, it was all builder grade finish out but at the time I could not believe how nice it was and I couldn't believe anyone would (or could) spend one hundred thousand dollars (Dr Evil pinky to the mouth) on a house. Now, I would not step my toe in a house like that. And neither would anyone else with a college degree. Expectations have changed.

So, being off the soap box of course, i believe today's buyer's expectations exceed affordability. My experience with my son's friends, and from reading these types of threads, is that housing is affordable today if expectations are lowered. There are affordable houses out there, people just don't want to live in the houses they can afford. I get it, it's tough to swallow. But this generation isn't the first to swallow that bitter pill.
How does this square with what Agbuilder is saying? I asked a similar question.

Re-read the original post you quoted. The home affordability numbers were literally talking about the AVERAGE. This isn't reflecting expectations of buyers.

How is it so freakin hard when it comes to residential real estate to have discussions about macro policy decisions affecting the market like any other asset class, yet everyone comes crashing in with off topic discussions about how an individual can buy that asset class? I don't see this with stocks, bonds, or anything else. Just smacks of ego and justification of life choices rather than an academic discussion.

fka ftc
Tex117 said:

Re-read the original post you quoted. The home affordability numbers were literally talking about the AVERAGE. This isn't reflecting expectations of buyers.

How is it so freakin hard when it comes to residential real estate to have discussions about macro policy decisions affecting the market like any other asset class, yet everyone comes crashing in with off topic discussions about how an individual can buy that asset class? I don't see this with stocks, bonds, or anything else. Just smacks of ego and justification of life choices rather than an academic discussion.

People need a place to live and many people in the US have been raised with the concept that home OWNERSHIP is a sort of right of passage. That is purely American idea not shared in other countries.

Owning stocks, bonds, etc is an optional purchase so the comparison you are trying to make is not logical.

It is really not logical when you factor in that a home is NOT an investment or savings vehicle. It may turn out to be but buying a home as an investment vs place to live is an area where people become irrational in their expectations of what they can eventually sell the house for vs it being a more permanent place to rest your head and raise a family, if so inclined.

I have been shouted down the same way GaryClare is being shouted down regarding what this thread is and is not about. What that shouting of "the numbers are facts and are what they are and housing is not affordable - period, the end" completely ignores that the EXPECTATIONS of today's homebuyer, particularly younger ones, is out of whack with how many of us "olds" were raised and what we experienced.

You cannot just talk about the numbers and ignore what is behind the numbers.
bmks270
AG
GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

Houses bought in the 60s, 70s and 80s by boomers are still tiny and modest homes but now they go for 1.5-2.0 million. My friend just bought a 1500 sq ft house in California with no AC for 1.7 million. He says a lot of the older locals (the boomers who have been there decades) are mad that their own kids can't afford to buy in the same neighborhoods. If you want to live in those same neighborhoods boomers were able to live, the prices are insane.

Yeah, you can get a huge newer home for less but it also comes with a huge commute. All of the neighborhoods near city centers, which is where the boomers were able to buy, have seen insane price increases over the years as population rises. These old homes go for millions in big cities despite being small and run down.

fka ftc
A solution to some of the meteoric rise in housing costs on the coasts (Cali, NY, etc) is to disallow foreign ownership of real estate AND require all SF family to be owner-occupied, including second homes. Any leasing has to be done at controlled rates based an established housing affordability algorithm.

Everybody cool with that?
GaryClare
AG
Tex117

I tried to direct message you but couldn't get it to go through. I'm not trying to be an ass on this thread and I didn't mean to hijack it. I can't say that I analyzed every post. I try not to post on TexAgs and now I remember why! My perspective, and why is appears to be off topic from the intent of the thread, is that I am seeing and hearing about this issue constantly and a few of the posts triggered my response.

I appreciate your perspective and responses! Again, sorry to go off topic and frustrate the posters on the thread. I will resume my lurker status!

Gary Clare '85
fka ftc
Lots of good information on this thread, particularly form agthatbuilds. I welcome yours and other perspectives and as mentioned people can learn from others experiences and people need to understand some of the reason behind the numbers.

I am not denying that the numbers show what they show, but its not just greedy builders and its also not just youngins being entitled.
Tex117
AG
fka ftc said:

Tex117 said:

People need a place to live and many people in the US have been raised with the concept that home OWNERSHIP is a sort of right of passage. That is purely American idea not shared in other countries.

Owning stocks, bonds, etc is an optional purchase so the comparison you are trying to make is not logical.

It is really not logical when you factor in that a home is NOT an investment or savings vehicle. It may turn out to be but buying a home as an investment vs place to live is an area where people become irrational in their expectations of what they can eventually sell the house for vs it being a more permanent place to rest your head and raise a family, if so inclined.

I have been shouted down the same way GaryClare is being shouted down regarding what this thread is and is not about. What that shouting of "the numbers are facts and are what they are and housing is not affordable - period, the end" completely ignores that the EXPECTATIONS of today's homebuyer, particularly younger ones, is out of whack with how many of us "olds" were raised and what we experienced.

You cannot just talk about the numbers and ignore what is behind the numbers.
I hear ya. I know that is what makes it feel different, what I'm posturing is should it be different? From a general averages perspective, it actually makes more economic sense to live in that dive of an apartment and invest in the S&P. One will see higher returns that if they just bought a house. But, as you said, there is societal pressure to "own a house" a sort of rite of passage. Lots of people wrap up alot of ego in their house.

Its absolutely logical when viewed as an asset class. And if one wants to get rich, one should look at these things like an asset class and not some "rite of passage."

Yes. It does ignore the expectations because the expectations of buyers is not being reflected in those original figures. (If anything, it reflects the past expectations of homebuyers rather than new buyers).

I don't think I have seen any poster on this thread take any issue with what you and GaryClare have said, but, what you are doing is giving unsolicited advice on how to navigate a market rather than discuss the market itself. One can discuss a fact, about its implications and effects, and have that not be a "victim" complaint.

Tex117
AG
GaryClare said:

Tex117

I tried to direct message you but couldn't get it to go through. I'm not trying to be an ass on this thread and I didn't mean to hijack it. I can't say that I analyzed every post. I try not to post on TexAgs and now I remember why! My perspective, and why is appears to be off topic from the intent of the thread, is that I am seeing and hearing about this issue constantly and a few of the posts triggered my response.

I appreciate your perspective and responses! Again, sorry to go off topic and frustrate the posters on the thread. I will resume my lurker status!

Gary Clare '85
Man, no worries at all! Please keep contributing. Don't lurk! Kicking things around is part of the fun!

You are definitely not an ass at all (if anything, we know its probably me, and I owe you an apology for jumping so hard at you). Im certainly not the arbiter of this thread, but your perspective is welcomed and important!

What Im trying to snip and both you and fka (because we had a very similar conversation on this thread awhile back), is that macro concerns can be discussed without falling into how individuals can navigate the reality of such market.

(And i've yet to hear an argument how buyer expectations can affect the home ownership affordability index...)

Quote:

Lots of good information on this thread, particularly form agthatbuilds. I welcome yours and other perspectives and as mentioned people can learn from others experiences and people need to understand some of the reason behind the numbers.

I am not denying that the numbers show what they show, but its not just greedy builders and its also not just youngins being entitled.
This!

But can someone connect the dots for me how a buyers expectation affects the home affordability index? What does that have anything to do with the fed's interest rate and the supply of homes?
Agthatbuilds
Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

There are almost no builders I can name that can build a house for productions prices as a one off. The drhortons of the world have completely cornered that market.

That does two things it allows such companies to have major control in the market by mwteri g the amount of homes at those price points that are built. They'll even cancel your contract if there a big price jump and they can sell you build for more

2. It forces people into communities far away from city centers amd mostly controls resale values

The house most people really want is probably unattainable
Tex117
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

There are almost no builders I can name that can build a house for productions prices as a one off. The drhortons of the world have completely cornered that market.

That does two things it allows such companies to have major control in the market by mwteri g the amount of homes at those price points that are built. They'll even cancel your contract if there a big price jump and they can sell you build for more

2. It forces people into communities far away from city centers amd mostly controls resale values

So, to GaryClare's question, why don't you just build a cheaper house? (I know you answer this for me already).

(Your posts on this thread have been really enlightening).
fka ftc
Lots of things factor into the type of house being built and what it costs. Lot costs, lot size, building codes / restrictions, community / HOA / developer requirements.

I think part of what agthatbuilds was getting at is large production builders like DR, Pulte, etc can drive HUGE volume pricing discounts with their trades that a small builder cannot.

It is not a simple as saying "the market wants a entry-level house so can you take that lot in this neighborhood of luxury houses and build me a cheap house?".
Agthatbuilds
Tex117 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

Tex117 said:

GaryClare said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

So, to GaryClare's question, why don't you just build a cheaper house? (I know you answer this for me already).

(Your posts on this thread have been really enlightening).

I can't.

Let's take a reasonable stab at some napkin math for a production style home of i were to do it for as cheap as i think i could:

2000sqft house

Lot cost- 50k
Utilities- 20k
Build cost- 180 sqft (ain't no way but let's go with it)- 360k
Marketing- 5k
Build mark up- 15%

That puts me at 435k plus mark up

With Mark up I'm at 500

Who is buy that house
Agthatbuilds

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.