Home price index reaches all time high

61,634 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by MemphisAg1
gbaby23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fka ftc said:

gbaby23 said:

You must have had a tough time reading the portion where I called out generational blaming as ridiculous.
You called it ridiculous and then proceeded to do it, so maybe work on construction of an argument / position.
You need to work on your reading comprehension skills. If anything, I blamed politicians who have never faithfully implemented the desired policy of their constituents, regardless of their generation. Quite frankly, if the politicians had actually tailored policy towards what boomers, and those before them, wanted we would likely have avoided most of these issues.
fka ftc
gbaby23 said:

fka ftc said:

gbaby23 said:

You must have had a tough time reading the portion where I called out generational blaming as ridiculous.
You called it ridiculous and then proceeded to do it, so maybe work on construction of an argument / position.
You need to work on your reading comprehension skills. If anything, I blamed politicians who have never faithfully implemented the desired policy of their constituents, regardless of their generation. Quite frankly, if the politicians had actually tailored policy towards what boomers, and those before them, wanted we would likely have avoided most of these issues.

The below does not indicate a concept of personal responsibility, which is my point / issue. Whether you blame the olds or the politicians, the issue lies within yourself.

Saying people would be able to deal with hardship if things were not so hard is sort of a bizarre concept.
Quote:

Personally, I think a lot of complaints from younger generations comes from a subconscious yearning for the culture and community that has eroded faster than our economy has declined. People would be willing to deal with more hardship if our society was healthier overall.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Median House Price: 416,000

That is insane.

All the more reason to flee the big metro areas.
txaggieacct85
AG
Since when did owning a home right after graduation become a given. Buy what you can afford or rent
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I graduated in 1991 and have been working ever since.

I was able to buy a house in 1993 with $3500 down.

After 32 years working, I would still have a very difficult time buying my current house if I had to pay current market rates.

In 1991, my home price was about equal to 1 year's pay.

Today, I don't know if it is possible to find a house with a price close to the annual salary of an engineering graduate.

I am afraid that my children who currently do not own homes may never be able to afford one.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
techno-ag
AG
Sims said:

techno-ag said:

What did we ever do back when the interest rates were near 18%?

Oh yeah, I remember. We saved up for 20% down (about 12k for the average house costing app. $61k), didn't buy more than we could afford, and refinanced when rates went down.
Edited for historical context.

Minimum wage was around $2.50, so things were still proportional. It's not like it was $12k in today's money, where that's a month's salary for some people (especially dual income families).
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
gbaby23
AG
Quote:

The below does not indicate a concept of personal responsibility, which is my point / issue. Whether you blame the olds or the politicians, the issue lies within yourself.
You are just proving yourself more inept at reading comprehension. Putting forth a hypothesis on why the younger generations are complaining does not absolve anyone of the personal responsibility for their own situation. Politicians who are putting forth policies with the power of the state behind them that are detrimental to American culture do deserve some blame for this. Everyone in America didn't just wake up one day and decide to destroy our culture or economy.

Quote:

Saying people would be able to deal with hardship if things were not so hard is sort of a bizarre concept.
It is a well established fact that people with strong families and strong communities are more willing to endure hardship than those that don't. To say that families and communities are not deteriorating in American is asinine. It is the responsibility of everyone to build those themselves, but the problem must be addressed in order to push people towards fixing it.
fka ftc
gbaby23 said:

Quote:

You are just proving yourself more inept at reading comprehension. Putting forth a hypothesis on why the younger generations are complaining does not absolve anyone of the personal responsibility for their own situation. Politicians who are putting forth policies with the power of the state behind them that are detrimental to American culture do deserve some blame for this. Everyone in America didn't just wake up one day and decide to destroy our culture or economy.

Quote:

It is a well established fact that people with strong families and strong communities are more willing to endure hardship than those that don't. To say that families and communities are not deteriorating in American is asinine. It is the responsibility of everyone to build those themselves, but the problem must be addressed in order to push people towards fixing it.

You do know how politicians get into office or at least used to before 2020, right? They are elected by the people. So evidently Americans, particularly in blue / dem / liberal areas absolutely decided to just wake up one day and destroy the culture and the economy.

And I agree, strong families and strong communities make for environments where people cannot only endure hardships but can get through those hardships and rise up and thrive. Conservatives, particularly those with good morals and religious devotions, provide for these sorts of environments.

In summary, people need to quit voting blue and vote red.
Tex117
AG
fka ftc said:

Tex117 said:

fka ftc said:

Tex117 said:

At no time in this country was hard work never been a requirement. But there are macro economic factors that are more favorable than other times that are not in the control of the individual. This is just fact. To ignore this is simply stupid.
And most hard workers separate themselves during the bad times vs the good times. That is just a fact. To ignore it is simply stupid.
I completely agree. Yet...somehow...your ego can't let you recognize what I'm saying.

The issue withy many folks, both old and young alike, is they seem to want what the Jones have without putting in the work the Joneses did to get there.

You are literally arguing a point that no one is disputing. At all. (At least as far as I'm concerned)

You are just blathering your worldview on the state of youth which is not the topic of this thread.

The topic of this thread is that home affordability is at an all time high. Then some old arrogant jerkoffs come in talking about hard work and individual responsibility (that no one is really debating) that somehow this fact is somehow negated.

I'll say it to you again, and try and let your ego understand it.

Hard work and individuality is a requirement in this country to truly be successful. There are in fact macro economic factors that can either fan the flames of hard work, or dampen then. One must look for opportunities to capitalize on to continue to excel. One can discuss the macro economics being poor and yet still believe and practice hard work, dedication, and smarts.

That is literally all my point was this entire time.
johnnyblaze36
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

That is insane.

It's currently 421,000 in College Station. It's ridiculous.
fka ftc
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/freeport,-tx_rb/

Plenty of affordable houses under $100k. We have an entitlement and expectation problem, along with responsibility problems, and problems with hard work.

You know what will solve housing affordability issues overnight? People not buying houses. Demand falls, supplies increase, price dips.

As long as the demand is there the prices will remain high. Demand is high because everyone wants... everyone one things they deserve the best of everything.
txaggieacct85
AG
You either bought a shack or made much more than the average pay for your age.

My first home cost $93,000 in 1990 and I made $28,000 at that time.
fka ftc
johnnyblaze36 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

That is insane.

It's currently 421,000 in College Station. It's ridiculous.
Going to quietly point out that median home price is $165k in Hearne. To my other points, not everyone can live in College Station.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Hearne_TX/overview
txaggieacct85
AG
This is mostly inflation and supply and demand. I lived in my first house from 1990 to 1999. I bought it for $93,000 and sold it for $114,000 nine years late. Almost no appreciation.

Then Californians and other crazy states started migrating to Texas and driving up the demand.

Our population has exploded, California has had a crazy real estate market for decades.

They brought the craziness with them.

In the 1990s Houston was one of the cheapest real estate markets in the country as far as major metro areas. Not so much now.

And now the younger generations are flocking to the Austin area. Huge demand

Not to mention the illegal aliens
gbaby23
AG

Quote:

You do know how politicians get into office or at least used to before 2020, right? They are elected by the people. So evidently Americans, particularly in blue / dem / liberal areas absolutely decided to just wake up one day and destroy the culture and the economy.
First, 2020 wasn't the first rigged election. Second, Even if the elections were fair, politicians have never faithfully executed the will of the people in this country. Corruption didn't begin in 2020. Also, people did not just start voting for self destructive policies for no reason. There was a large propaganda push by people who hate America. Unfortunately, a large percentage of Americans are so unintelligent the propaganda works.

Quote:

And I agree, strong families and strong communities make for environments where people cannot only endure hardships but can get through those hardships and rise up and thrive. Conservatives, particularly those with good morals and religious devotions, provide for these sorts of environments.
This is the point I was making from the beginning.

Quote:

In summary, people need to quit voting blue and vote red.
Red is better than blue, but for far too long they have not done enough to combat the rot in this country. Vote red, but diligently select which red you choose.
fka ftc
I'm with you on the 2nd two parts.

On the first, I still thinking you are looking to blame others.

I may not have voted for certain policies and positions that others did, but I definitely have responsibility for not being more involved, holding them more accountable or even running for office myself.

Same for the younger folk. If you don't like the policies and politicians, then go on and run for office. Minimum in the house is 25, 30 in the senate if memory serves.
Dan Scott
AG
I don't get the complaints. $165K in Houston in an area close to major freeways and the big airport for all the youngsters traveling.

https://s.hartech.io/EaRvCeMeEpU
Agthatbuilds
Would you look at that
zoneag
Nanomachines son said:

techno-ag said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

Oh yeah, I remember. We saved up for 20% down, didn't buy more than we could afford, and refinanced when rates went down.
You have to save 2.5x as long to purchase a home that costs 3x as much monthly. Interest rates are a portion of the equation, but they matter WAY less than price relative to income. Even at 0% interest rates it's more expensive/difficult to buy a home than it was in the early 80's.

Median House Price: 47,200
Median Household Income: 21,000
20% Down: 9,440
Interest Rate: 17%
Tax: 864/yr (72.00/mo)
HOI: 250/yr (20.80/mo)
P&I: 539.00
Total Payment: 631.80
Down payment percent gross income: 45%
Total payment percent of gross income: 16%

Median Household Income: 81,500
20% Down: 83,200
Interest Rate: 7.5%
Tax: 7615 (634.59/mo)
Insurance: 2204 (183.67/mo)
P&I: 2327.00
Total Payment: 3145.26
Down payment percent gross income: 102%
Total payment percent of gross income: 46.3%

Thanks. Some people's inability to admit that economics were more favorable to them in the past is strange. And that's not to absolve the idiocy towards our current economic policies that this generation is perpetuating. I'm sure the millenials will be gaslighting the 30 year olds the same way in 30 years.
I think it's more modern expectations that are out of whack. A young grad expects $100,000 job on day one. Wants a 5 bedroom $750,000 house with 0 down at 3%.

Examples only of course, but you get the point.

You could buy a house back then in a relatively safe area for cheap. Thanks to mass immigration and enormously different demographics, the cheap areas are all crime ridden hellholes. If you want your kids to not get shot at or beaten up daily in school, you're going to have to pay out the ass nowadays.

The situation is nothing at all like it uses to be. People are bankrupting themselves to get away from bad areas of town. They have no choice if they have a family.

Glad someone finally said this. In the midwestern city where I live, former working class neighborhoods with modest starter homes are now crime ridden dumps thanks to runaway third world immigration. The schools are terrible and unsafe. Even in this low cost of living city you need to make well above the median income just to have a chance to buy a home in a decent area with good schools. I'm GenX and am well positioned, but I feel for the young families today because these problems are only going to get worse.
Dan Scott
AG
Have you seen the pictures? Obviously it's been updated to justify the value quadrupling in 10 years.
Agthatbuilds
It's amazing what some fake wood floors, fake stone countertops, cheap tile, and some scratch and dent appliances, and cheap paint can do to the value of a house
fka ftc
zoneag said:

Nanomachines son said:

You could buy a house back then in a relatively safe area for cheap. Thanks to mass immigration and enormously different demographics, the cheap areas are all crime ridden hellholes. If you want your kids to not get shot at or beaten up daily in school, you're going to have to pay out the ass nowadays.

The situation is nothing at all like it uses to be. People are bankrupting themselves to get away from bad areas of town. They have no choice if they have a family.

Glad someone finally said this. In the midwestern city where I live, former working class neighborhoods with modest starter homes are now crime ridden dumps thanks to runaway third world immigration. The schools are terrible and unsafe. Even in this low cost of living city you need to make well above the median income just to have a chance to buy a home in a decent area with good schools. I'm GenX and am well positioned, but I feel for the young families today because these problems are only going to get worse.
You know the migrant angle is interesting. Migrant communities in many areas used to be bright spots in poorer areas. People that had been allowed to legally immigrate understood the opportunity and took pride in their homes and hoods. That changed.

And now has changed to an even worse state with the cartel influence and the types of folks coming over. Lots of single males, from all over the world, many with prison tattoos, who survived cartel "training" on their trip up.
Agthatbuilds
I think the key here is that it's different than it used to be, just as it was different for you from previous generations.

The core behavior remains- work hard, take advantage of opportunities, save what you can and be both patient and decisive are still important.

It's just not the same as it used to be, whether that be from col changes, wage changes, expectation changes and so on.

It's just different
Dad-O-Lot
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

You either bought a shack or made much more than the average pay for your age.

My first home cost $93,000 in 1990 and I made $28,000 at that time.
My home cost $54,000 in 1993 and with overtime, I was making about 45K
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
gbaby23
AG
For reference, I am on the younger edge of being a millennial and do quite well for myself. I am not trying to make personal excuses, but get to the bottom of the issue with many of peers and determine how to fix it. I believe that, unfortunately, some people are just naturally susceptible outside influence. When those that wield influence do not have their best interests at heart, we all suffer for it in one way or another. Which is why I agree with your point about getting involved. I have plans to work my way up as much as possible to do some good.
fka ftc
Best of luck to you. Get involved and hold others accountable is the only thing that will make a change.
gbaby23
AG
Same to you. Since I do not know your age, based on our current political class I would say it is never too late.
hph6203
AG
Some of you people are so damn void of awareness it is astounding. Work hard, be frugal is a recipe for out-competing your peers, it is not a recipe for solving the problems of society. If you don't believe that society causes problems for the individual then you should probably steer clear of a politics board, because that's the crux of the discussion of politics.
Muy
AG
FTAC2011 said:

JobSecurity said:

not really an "inflation" problem, it's a supply and demand problem. Unfortunately with no obvious solution.

If the fed wasn't focused on a soft landing there might be hope, but I don't see this dropping outside of a recession

Huh? It has alot to do with inflation…. prices of goods and labor to build homes significantly increased the past few years which in turn raised the prices of new and used homes. Add in the fed raising interests rates significantly to try and slow inflation and you have high prices and high cost of borrowing.

Exactly. Higher interest rates impact demand and people's ability to sell and buy elsewhere, which impacts supply, and in addition to higher costs to build increases housing costs.
one MEEN Ag
AG
fka ftc said:

Thanks. Some people's inability to admit that economics were more favorable to them in the past is strange. And that's not to absolve the idiocy towards our current economic policies that this generation is perpetuating. I'm sure the millenials will be gaslighting the 30 year olds the same way in 30 years.
How about there be some honesty in what that average home bought you in 1980 vs 2023 and then there can be a discussion. Until then, its a bunch of hooey as most millenials wouldn't let their cats live in what the average home was in 1980.

You find me a home close enough to a city center like what the 1980s offered, with a community of like minded people, in not a crime ridden area, with decent schools, and low enough starting points that the average 30 year old could buy.

It doesn't exist. Millennials would swarm to it. They've already been the driving force to improved terrible neighborhoods that suffered blight while being close to town.

Again, you're just living your boomer life life all over these threads today.
fka ftc
one MEEN Ag said:

fka ftc said:

How about there be some honesty in what that average home bought you in 1980 vs 2023 and then there can be a discussion. Until then, its a bunch of hooey as most millenials wouldn't let their cats live in what the average home was in 1980.

You find me a home close enough to a city center like what the 1980s offered, with a community of like minded people, in not a crime ridden area, with decent schools, and low enough starting points that the average 30 year old could buy.

It doesn't exist. Millennials would swarm to it. They've already been the driving force to improved terrible neighborhoods that suffered blight while being close to town.

Again, you're just living your boomer life life all over these threads today.
You not only want me to find it, you want me to take the financial risk to go acquire the land, knock the existing structure down, go through all the planning and zoning, agree to improve the infrastructure, make a contribution to the local elementary school foundation, pay for the annual salary of 2 full time neighborhood watchers (off-duty cops), then build the houses all at a low cost a 30 year old says he can afford.

I am sure you would swarm all over that. Funny.
one MEEN Ag
AG
You literally cannot admit under any circumstance that you had an easier economy to establish your wealth.

What a joke.
Nanomachines son
zoneag said:

Nanomachines son said:

techno-ag said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

Oh yeah, I remember. We saved up for 20% down, didn't buy more than we could afford, and refinanced when rates went down.
You have to save 2.5x as long to purchase a home that costs 3x as much monthly. Interest rates are a portion of the equation, but they matter WAY less than price relative to income. Even at 0% interest rates it's more expensive/difficult to buy a home than it was in the early 80's.

Median House Price: 47,200
Median Household Income: 21,000
20% Down: 9,440
Interest Rate: 17%
Tax: 864/yr (72.00/mo)
HOI: 250/yr (20.80/mo)
P&I: 539.00
Total Payment: 631.80
Down payment percent gross income: 45%
Total payment percent of gross income: 16%

Median Household Income: 81,500
20% Down: 83,200
Interest Rate: 7.5%
Tax: 7615 (634.59/mo)
Insurance: 2204 (183.67/mo)
P&I: 2327.00
Total Payment: 3145.26
Down payment percent gross income: 102%
Total payment percent of gross income: 46.3%

I think it's more modern expectations that are out of whack. A young grad expects $100,000 job on day one. Wants a 5 bedroom $750,000 house with 0 down at 3%.

Examples only of course, but you get the point.

It is incredible to me that people aren't recognizing that 50 years ago, these neighborhoods were all white because the US was literally 80 to 85% white. They were safe because the demographics guaranteed it.

Diversity has obliterated this and now virtually any cheap area is a ghetto in any city. Yeah you could find a starter home in a ****hole neighborhood but your house will get broken into daily and your cars stolen as well as your kids beat up or shot at constantly. Wow what a deal you're getting!

Your choices now are either pay rent or get fleeced in a good neighborhood. There are no other options because starter homes are all in unsafe areas.
Nanomachines son
fka ftc said:

zoneag said:

Nanomachines son said:

You know the migrant angle is interesting. Migrant communities in many areas used to be bright spots in poorer areas. People that had been allowed to legally immigrate understood the opportunity and took pride in their homes and hoods. That changed.

And now has changed to an even worse state with the cartel influence and the types of folks coming over. Lots of single males, from all over the world, many with prison tattoos, who survived cartel "training" on their trip up.

These areas have also pushed blacks out into other areas, which has significantly expanded the unsafe areas. Imagine buying a starter home in Baltimore or Detroit.
tysker
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

You literally cannot admit under any circumstance that you had an easier economy to establish your wealth.

What a joke.

There's an old joke on the street that the new guys have never seen a bear market. I've been on the street for over 20 years now and except for the tech bubble blip (from which amazon, google, apple, and facebook emerged), the financial crisis (which became a real estate and banking bailout), and covid (which involved helicopter cash drops into checking accounts), the saying still kinda holds true. Everyone is a bull market genius. Average s&p returns have been over 10% since like 1990 which means investments were doubling about every 7-8 years. Pretty easy to get rich if you had the sense and ability to invest early and often.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.