Home price index reaches all time high

61,917 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by MemphisAg1
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Weve had about a 5% total return since Biden took office and we are coming up in 3 years.
Manhattan
21.7% since the day after the election… and the market is down big in the last 45 days because JPow refuses to give up until we have a recession.
Logos Stick
Manhattan said:

21.7% since the day after the election… and the market is down big in the last 45 days because JPow refuses to give up until we have a recession.

Biden wasnt in control the day after the election, was he? He did not begin his anti business, Marxist totalitarian reign until the next year.

In the days after the election, they announced the vax. Lol.

Try again.
Logos Stick
Manhattan said:

You obviously don't understand this thing called inflation, do you?
fka ftc
Easier compared to what? Now?
Logos Stick
Also, lol at the 0.7% fraction.

Can't put lipstick on the pig named Biden
zoneag
Nanomachines son said:

zoneag said:

Nanomachines son said:

techno-ag said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

hph6203 said:

techno-ag said:

What did we ever do back when the interest rates were near 18%?

Oh yeah, I remember. We saved up for 20% down, didn't buy more than we could afford, and refinanced when rates went down.
You have to save 2.5x as long to purchase a home that costs 3x as much monthly. Interest rates are a portion of the equation, but they matter WAY less than price relative to income. Even at 0% interest rates it's more expensive/difficult to buy a home than it was in the early 80's.

Median House Price: 47,200
Median Household Income: 21,000
20% Down: 9,440
Interest Rate: 17%
Tax: 864/yr (72.00/mo)
HOI: 250/yr (20.80/mo)
P&I: 539.00
Total Payment: 631.80
Down payment percent gross income: 45%
Total payment percent of gross income: 16%

Median House Price: 416,000
Median Household Income: 81,500
20% Down: 83,200
Interest Rate: 7.5%
Tax: 7615 (634.59/mo)
Insurance: 2204 (183.67/mo)
P&I: 2327.00
Total Payment: 3145.26
Down payment percent gross income: 102%
Total payment percent of gross income: 46.3%

Thanks. Some people's inability to admit that economics were more favorable to them in the past is strange. And that's not to absolve the idiocy towards our current economic policies that this generation is perpetuating. I'm sure the millenials will be gaslighting the 30 year olds the same way in 30 years.
I think it's more modern expectations that are out of whack. A young grad expects $100,000 job on day one. Wants a 5 bedroom $750,000 house with 0 down at 3%.

Examples only of course, but you get the point.

You could buy a house back then in a relatively safe area for cheap. Thanks to mass immigration and enormously different demographics, the cheap areas are all crime ridden hellholes. If you want your kids to not get shot at or beaten up daily in school, you're going to have to pay out the ass nowadays.

The situation is nothing at all like it uses to be. People are bankrupting themselves to get away from bad areas of town. They have no choice if they have a family.

Glad someone finally said this. In the midwestern city where I live, former working class neighborhoods with modest starter homes are now crime ridden dumps thanks to runaway third world immigration. The schools are terrible and unsafe. Even in this low cost of living city you need to make well above the median income just to have a chance to buy a home in a decent area with good schools. I'm GenX and am well positioned, but I feel for the young families today because these problems are only going to get worse.

It is incredible to me that people aren't recognizing that 50 years ago, these neighborhoods were all white because the US was literally 80 to 85% white. They were safe because the demographics guaranteed it.

Diversity has obliterated this and now virtually any cheap area is a ghetto in any city. Yeah you could find a starter home in a ****hole neighborhood but your house will get broken into daily and your cars stolen as well as your kids beat up or shot at constantly. Wow what a deal you're getting!

Your choices now are either pay rent or get fleeced in a good neighborhood. There are no other options because starter homes are all in unsafe areas.

Well your other options are to move to a rural small town, which have had their industries gutted so good luck finding work. Not to mention the massive drug problems courtesy of the Sackler family and their ilk, and the wide open border. It's almost like it's all part of a larger plan…..
Manhattan
Biden won and people knew companies would have higher earnings with Biden so they went up.

Economy is good so housing is absolutely maxed out.

Time to lower interest rates and get money moving again.
YouBet
AG
Manhattan said:

Biden won and people knew companies would have higher earnings with Biden so they went up.

Economy is good so housing is absolutely maxed out.

Time to lower interest rates and get money moving again.
Hard not to have higher earnings when your baseline is an unprecedented, global pandemic that shut down the world.

Even you as President, despite having no understanding of economics, would have seen higher earnings.

How much more absurd can you get as a poster here?
rynning
AG
I tell my young adult son to save and get ready. Rates will go down and I believe prices will go down as people run out of cash and are forced to sell. There will be a crash at some point. Those with cash can take advantage.
Manhattan
Maybe the world should have had exceptional American leadership during the pandemic.

YouBet
AG
Manhattan said:

Maybe the world should have had exceptional American leadership during the pandemic.

So now you are going to ignore the fact that globalism exists and that the rest of the world shutting down and reacting to this would have had no effect on the US even if we had just ignored it?

And maybe Biden shouldn't have double downed and made it worse by trying to fire people over a vaccine that was applicable to old people for 4-6 months at a time causing additional economic chaos? And then tried to pass full blown Marxism via GND legislation while the country was on the mat? Was that exceptional leadership?

Are you ever going to acknowledge your own side's failures?

[Lose the personal attacks at the end of your arguments or we will take down your entire argument and issue you a timeout. - Staff]
Manhattan
What did Biden make worse with the vax?

Biden's infrastructure bills are the reason we have economic growth and not stagflation…
YouBet
AG
Manhattan said:

Biden's infrastructure bills are the reason we have economic growth and not stagflation…
See my prior post.
91AggieLawyer
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

tk111 said:

It's really terrible. I know a number of young couples just a few years removed from college that have been very successful and are still absolutely crushed at their prospects of getting a home due to the overwhelming double-whammy that is prices and interest rates.
4 years removed from college I made my first home purchase (was a townhouse, but you get the drift). I paid 20% down and signed a note for 8.5%. This was in 1997, and I was thrilled.
What has changed between 1997 and 2023, besides increases in construction costs, insurance costs, taxes and massive interest rate manipulation by the Fed?

It isn't interest rates OR inflation. It is simply home values going up. Of course, that depends on when you purchased your home.

I did a yearly dollar value comparison with my home, built in the '80s. I compared my home which I bought in the late 2000s to what it is worth now in terms of 2023 dollars vs. late 2000s dollars. There was a significant PREMIUM over what I paid. Then, I did the same thing over the year it was built. I looked up my home once and don't remember the exact figure it sold for new, but I know the ballpark. There was still a premium, but it was slight. Hence, the recent (last decade) price rise, not to mention me buying at the bottom of the market, has contributed to values that are extremely high in the short term and high in the long term irrespective of other financial or market factors.

The only conclusion is a different demand curve is in place. I would guess that most homes are also in this category. If you bought in 2022 and are underwater, it may be bad for you, but good for the guy who bought your house in 2013.
TheEternalPessimist
YouBet said:

Manhattan said:

See my prior post.
If Biden sh**s his pants, this Upper West Sider would talk about how it smells like roses.
TheEternalPessimist
Manhattan said:

The increase in the valuation of stocks and homes is due mostly to inflation brought on by massive government spending.

So what does Keynesian do? Interfere in the market even more to 'create' supply and demand...... through of course..... printing more money.
bmks270
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

This is truth. I am one of those trying to sell a home but it wont be leaving the market anytime soon. I am probably going to be renting it out against my better judgement. Someone with 10% down on my house is still looking at a $4000/mo note.

Mortgages will be higher than rents, I'd imagine sales slow.
ApachePilot
AG
fka ftc said:

Thanks. Some people's inability to admit that economics were more favorable to them in the past is strange. And that's not to absolve the idiocy towards our current economic policies that this generation is perpetuating. I'm sure the millenials will be gaslighting the 30 year olds the same way in 30 years.
How about there be some honesty in what that average home bought you in 1980 vs 2023 and then there can be a discussion. Until then, it's a bunch of hooey as most millenials wouldn't let their cats live in what the average home was in 1980.

Solid point. Average homes now are so much nicer than in the 1970-1990s. I look at photos of my families' homes I thought were so nice growing up in the 70-80s and they were dumps! Total crap. We had nothing. The average home now is a mansion compared to what we had. Expectations have really changed. Comparing apples to apples is tough to do when the apples don't match.
itsyourboypookie
tk111 said:

It's really terrible. I know a number of young couples just a few years removed from college that have been very successful and are still absolutely crushed at their prospects of getting a home due to the overwhelming double-whammy that is prices and interest rates.

Sell them yours at a discount
itsyourboypookie
bmks270 said:

Hoyt Ag said:

This is truth. I am one of those trying to sell a home but it wont be leaving the market anytime soon. I am probably going to be renting it out against my better judgement. Someone with 10% down on my house is still looking at a $4000/mo note.

Mortgages will be higher than rents, I'd imagine sales slow.

When there is more demand for rent, the rent goes up, not down
shiftyandquick
Ted Lasso said:

Except home prices were much closer to wages back then. Big difference.

Actually per sq foot, it is the same. People bought much smaller houses.
Proposition Joe
Like with most things the answer lies a bit in the middle.

I graduated in '04, made a decent but not extravagant salary out of college and by '06 was making offers on nice houses in nice neighborhoods in the big city... 1500-1700sqft. All in the $125-$200k range.

Those same houses are 4x-5x the price now, and salaries are not 4x-5x.

Now yes, the solution is move further out of town or a less desirable neighborhood. There's always ways to make better investments and make ends meet. But the point is those that graduated 20 years ago trying to say it's basically the same as it is for the graduates now are kidding themselves.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I disagree. Rent is crazy expensive right now in my area. I have 3 applications in to rent my house for 3200/mo. 5 bed 4200sqft. Finding an apartment is a pipe dream around here, and when you do it is $2000mo for a 1/1. House rentals are up due to low inventory overall. I thin kaverage income in our town is like $42K/yr, so a pretty low income area.
TheEternalPessimist
Hoyt Ag said:

I disagree. Rent is crazy expensive right now in my area. I have 3 applications in to rent my house for 3200/mo. 5 bed 4200sqft. Finding an apartment is a pipe dream around here, and when you do it is $2000mo for a 1/1. House rentals are up due to low inventory overall. I thin kaverage income in our town is like $42K/yr, so a pretty low income area.
Tex117
AG

[Try to be more civil when you can post again. -Staff]

fka ftc

[Don't quote posts that need to be removed. -Staff]

fka ftc
itsyourboypookie said:

tk111 said:

Sell them yours at a discount
That's funny but is a valid retort.

People mad they cannot currently afford a brand new home, with a big yard, nice schools, hardwood floors, granite countertops, all the home automation, located 10 minutes from the office with A+++ schools.

Certainly they cannot afford it with the job they got with their History of Racism in the Fashion Industry degree from Phoenix U whilst also making the Tesla payments, payoff the Restoration Hardware bill for their new furniture, and order in sushi every night.

The horror these kids face these days. We should all sell our houses immediately to the lowest bidder so that these kids have a chance.

Because current "macro" factors are against them.
Proposition Joe
I like how the guy with roughly 4000 posts a year, all anything but concise, is explaining how people don't work as hard as he does.

We both graduated around the same time. We had it easier.

That's not to say "no one can achieve success" now, but acting like the route to owning a home is similar for graduates the last 3-4 years as it was when we graduated is simply not based in reality.

Though there are trade-offs -- the opportunities to becoming extremely wealthy in a short amount of time are in much more abundance now than they were in 2000. But that contributes to the gap...
Heineken-Ashi
BoydCrowder13 said:

Logos Stick said:

Down payment percent gross income: 45%
Total payment percent of gross income: 16%
Average house size: 1800 sqft
Down payment percent gross income: 102%
Total payment percent of gross income: 46.3%
Average house size: 2500 sqft

So the house size has increased 40%, while the down payment compared to income is more than twice the amount. Economics were favorable in the 80's.

Now do the amenities.

Heck the roof itself is 2.5x what it was back then for the same square foot home because of the massive pitch difference.

Put formica in. Put linoleum in instead of tile. Put those cheap ass windows in we had back then. Put in a non tiled walk in shower/bath instead of both. No fence versus a privacy wood fence. Etc

Amenities have improved but that is just home building practices across the board. There isn't a market for small houses with lesser amenities.Most have been bulldozed for McMansions at this point. When anything that style and in a lower price range goes on the market, cash buyers come in for 20% over asking to make it a rental. Which is understandable. I'd do the same thing. But there really aren't many options left for 1,500 sq foot houses without updates.
"I can't afford homes in this market! You boomers had it good back then!"

Also you..

Quote:

There isn't a market for small houses with lesser amenities.
The problem is you, not the market.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
fka ftc
Proposition Joe said:

I like how the guy with roughly 4000 posts a year, all anything but concise, is explaining how people don't work as hard as he does.

That's not to say "no one can achieve success" now, but acting like the route to owning a home is similar for graduates the last 3-4 years as it was when we graduated is simply not based in reality.

Though there are trade-offs -- the opportunities to becoming extremely wealthy in a short amount of time are in much more abundance now than they were in 2000. But that contributes to the gap...
You like that? If you are so obsessed with me you should know I am mostly retired after putting in my hard work.

There are plenty of affordable homes out there, its an entitlement culture where people think they deserve XYZ.

There have been times in the last 20 years when finding a good paying job was difficult. And housing affordability issues have existed in many locales for years.

IN 2004 I interviewed for a job in Santa Barbara. Salary was 2x what I was making in Houston. I would had to trade the "decent" apartment I was living in for a shared efficiency "apartment" and likely have to share a car in order to eat ramen noodles.

Sorry son, you just goaltending for the entitlement generation(s).
fka ftc
LMCane
Proposition Joe said:

I would think it is pretty self-evident that it is much more difficult to buy a home today with 7% mortgage rates and home prices at all time highs..

than it was a decade ago with 2.7% mortgages and lower house prices.

I don't see how that is logically arguable.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
techno-ag said:

What did we ever do back when the interest rates were near 18%?

Oh yeah, I remember. We saved up for 20% down, didn't buy more than we could afford, and refinanced when rates went down.
Houses were 80k

18% interest on a balance of $64k is can still be paid down in 3 years with discipline and the wage at the time,

18% or 8% on $640k is a big deal different
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
fka ftc
LMCane said:

Proposition Joe said:

I would think it is pretty self-evident that it is much more difficult to buy a home today with 7% mortgage rates and home prices at all time highs..

than it was a decade ago with 2.7% mortgages and lower house prices.

I don't see how that is logically arguable.
It is more difficult to buy the same house for the same price at the same rate as a decade ago. That should be and I believe is obvious to everyone.

The issue is people have to adapt and change their expectations. That is actually what logical people do. Seems that logic escapes most folks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.