Generational Politics: Hush Trips Among Gen Z Workers

14,213 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by TxTarpon
Tergdor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag with kids said:

I know MINE doesn't (the state of Texas). I get paid $X/yr if I work 2080 hrs or 2280 hrs. Hint: That is a YEARLY rate.

What is your job? I work for the state too, and we are required to report hours worked over 8 (and under). Why? Because salaries are paid out of an allocated budget and overtime worked has to be compensated. The comptroller will get pissed at you for working unapproved overtime. It's a salaried job, but it's effectively "hourly."

Sounds like some of you are getting screwed out of overtime pay.
DallasAg03
AG
Tergdor said:

Ag with kids said:

I know MINE doesn't (the state of Texas). I get paid $X/yr if I work 2080 hrs or 2280 hrs. Hint: That is a YEARLY rate.

What is your job? I work for the state too, and we are required to report hours worked over 8 (and under). Why? Because salaries are paid out of an allocated budget and overtime worked has to be compensated. The comptroller will get pissed at you for working unapproved overtime. It's a salaried job, but it's effectively "hourly."

Oh yeah? How much of my tax money did you steal?
Ag with kids
AG
Tergdor said:

Ag with kids said:

I'm staff at a TAMU system university.

We don't report hours. Occasionally we'll internally track them because do have external contracts that we can charge to rather than our research center budget (at least I assume that's what they're doing. I'm the engineer not the accountant).

My check is the exact same every month. Logging into workday and looking at my payslip shows only my monthly amount which is my annual pay divided by 12 regardless of how much I've worked that month.

Occasionally we'll get comp time if the director approves it (he's good about that if we all work long hours for a big project).
Ag with kids
AG
DallasAg03 said:

Tergdor said:

Ag with kids said:

Don't get me started on how stupid the system is at times when we try to be "good stewards of the taxpayers money".

Like when we travel and have per diem. We still do actuals (receipts for every meal, etc). Every defense contractor I worked for went away from that decades ago since it's cheaper just to directly pay the GSA rate rather than pay me and my admins and all the folks in travel to deal with all the receipts and how much needs to be paid - making sure every penny is accounted for.

But, here we are...saving you money by spending more.
Tergdor
AG
DallasAg03 said:

Tergdor said:

Ag with kids said:

Plenty. Please send more.

But that is why they are so adamant about not working unapproved hours (for non-teachers, anyway). When your budget is decided by legislative committee every session, you make sure the books are straight.
TRADUCTOR
lol you boneheads, no company has 2 total office hours a day they expect employees to work. A company is open 8+ hours, employees are expected to work the office hours.

lol, salary exempt whatever rationalization ... Ask your boss what is expected during office hours.
Bocephus
AG
I've called into meetings on the last two vacations I've been on and from the hospital waiting room while my daughter was in surgery. If I'm answering emails at 3 AM, I don't think it matters where I'm at.

If they're on vacation and their work is suffering, that is one thing. If they're getting the job done then I do not care. With Gen Z, I'm happy if they're showing up at all. Most are living at home bc their parents made life too comfortable and they cannot find a job that gives them "fulfillment."
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Quote:

Most are living at home bc their parents made life too comfortable and they cannot find a job that gives them "fulfillment."

There are some Gen Z I know that live with their parents because they're too lazy to find a good paying job and want to keep living off their parents.

I've talked to others that live with their parents because the rental market is insane and they can't afford anything, and I don't blame them. The apartment I lived in after I graduated 11 years ago was $900/month. That same apartment now is $1900/month and the job I had in that area pays about the same as it did when I graduated
TxTarpon
Time is ticking....9/30 is less than 45 days away!
Do you know where your budget needs to be?
Ag with kids
AG
TxTarpon said:

Time is ticking....9/30 is less than 45 days away!
Do you know where your budget needs to be?
8/31 is just 16 days away...that's the end of the state FY

And I'm spending mine as fast as I can. I needed that expensive UAS FLIR camera (I seriously did).

Being in charge of the R&D here is fun.
fka ftc
Bocephus said:

I've called into meetings on the last two vacations I've been on and from the hospital waiting room while my daughter was in surgery. If I'm answering emails at 3 AM, I don't think it matters where I'm at.

If they're on vacation and their work is suffering, that is one thing. If they're getting the job done then I do not care. With Gen Z, I'm happy if they're showing up at all. Most are living at home bc their parents made life too comfortable and they cannot find a job that gives them "fulfillment."
This brings back years ago when I had to do a Talent+ interview in corp america job (https://talentplus.com/).

Questioned was asked if I was intoxicated at a bar at 2am and an executive called my phone work related, would I answer and do my best to indicate I was sober, not answer, or answer and admit to be inebriated and in no condition to provide information / answers.

Point being, what expectation can work have on your mental / physical condition when not in the office or on vacation / off-time. regardless of whether you are exempt / non-exempt. Its an interesting conundrum with no perfect answer (IMO).
Tex117
AG
The next solid recession will knock out all of this.

A recession will happen. When? Don't know. Will it? Absolutely.
fka ftc
Tex117 said:

The next solid recession will knock out all of this.

A recession will happen. When? Don't know. Will it? Absolutely.
I am a big proponent of the need for this Country to experience some very, very bad economic times.

Selfishly, I would welcome it as those present the best opportunity to build mega-wealth.

Millenials and their ilk learning some life lessons is added bonus.
TxTarpon

Quote:

Millenials and their ilk learning some life lessons is added bonus.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.