Generational Politics: Hush Trips Among Gen Z Workers

14,212 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by TxTarpon
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moe Jzyslak said:

Boomers ******* hate it when people don't work in the office

Why do people keep misusing the Boomer label? Today there are almost no boomers in the workforce, they are all 70+ years old.
DallasAg03
AG
fka ftc said:

Ag with kids said:

TRADUCTOR said:

There is no integrity working 2hrs a day and getting paid for 8. That life requires rationalization.
If you're salaried, you're not getting paid an hourly rate...you're getting paid a yearly rate...
No you are not. Where on earth did this concept ever come from?

You annual salary divided by 2080 is your hourly rate.

Holy hell there is no hope for the future if the above passes for logic.

That's accounting, my offer letter lists a yearly salary. If you want to pay me hourly, I'd be subject to overtime. Two completely different types of employment contracts

Now continue your lecture...
FL_Ag1998
AG
bonfarr said:

Moe Jzyslak said:

Why do people keep misusing the Boomer label? Today there are almost no boomers in the workforce, they are all 70+ years old.

Because millennials are too lazy to figure what exactly a boomer is.
Logos Stick
bonfarr said:

Moe Jzyslak said:

The youngest boomers are 59-60. They were born from 46 to 64.
fka ftc
DallasAg03 said:

fka ftc said:

Ag with kids said:

TRADUCTOR said:

There is no integrity working 2hrs a day and getting paid for 8. That life requires rationalization.
If you're salaried, you're not getting paid an hourly rate...you're getting paid a yearly rate...

That's accounting, my offer letter lists a yearly salary. If you want to pay me hourly, I'd be subject to overtime. Two completely different types of employment contracts

In Texas and most other places, unless you are an athlete or an executive, it is HIGHLY unlikely you have an employment contract.

You annual salary contemplates you working 2080 hours less holidays and vacation. But really it's whatever you want to think it is.

Offer letters are not worth the paper they are printed on. For the employee, they mean nothing other than helping you understand you comp. For the employer, it gives them documentation should you ever dispute the compensation terms and they want to shut up.

It's clear most folks do not work in accounting or have ever had the responsibility for hiring, firing employees, running payroll for a company or owning a company.
Ag with kids
AG
fka ftc said:

Congrats on the most nonsensical post I think I have ever read on TexAgs.

You can think of your salary as annual whichever.

Overtime is required in certain instances regardless of whether someone is salaried or hourly.

I can tell you your company's payroll system calculates your bi-weekly or semi-monthly check based on an hourly rate.

And I give two ****s if you want to listen to me or not. Others may find accurate information about how things work to be helpful even if you don't.

Reason I usually have you ignored. Today was a good reminder to make it permanent.
No it doesn't.

We all know that you're the hardest working man on TexAgs which makes you think you're right in everything you post, though.

Please do ignore me. Sometimes people need a safe space...
Ag with kids
AG
fka ftc said:

Ag with kids said:

fka ftc said:

Deputy Travis Junior said:

He's not incorrect. You claimed that salaried employees have an hourly rate that's equal to salary divided by 2080. That's not accurate (or even close to it) for a ton of salaried employees.

Sure, math is forbidden on an "annual" salary. I've used ADP, Paylocity, Paychex and Paycor and every single, solid one of those takes whatever you input as salary and converts it to hourly rate.

This is required for orgs that use PTO, particularly ones where your PTO is accrued per pay period.

I am perfectly fine knowing what I know. If others are fine to not know what they don't know, that's on them.
Well, if a software program converted it, then that's infallible...

Sorry you don't like to admit how things work in the real world.
Sorry you don't understand that salaried people are paid an annual rate, not an hourly rate.
Ag with kids
AG

fka ftc said:

He's not incorrect. You claimed that salaried employees have an hourly rate that's equal to salary divided by 2080. That's not accurate (or even close to it) for a ton of salaried employees.

Sure, math is forbidden on an "annual" salary. I've used ADP, Paylocity, Paychex and Paycor and every single, solid one of those takes whatever you input as salary and converts it to hourly rate.

This is required for orgs that use PTO, particularly ones where your PTO is accrued per pay period.

I am perfectly fine knowing what I know. If others are fine to not know what they don't know, that's on them.

It fits with some salaried employees, but for many many others (including me), the idea that the company is paying me X dollars every 2 weeks to get 80 hours just doesn't work. Some weeks are light, other weeks I have to travel, get home at 2am, and then wake up and be on a 7am call with somebody in a different time zone.

In short, they're paying me to do a job, the requirements of which vary from week to week. They aren't paying me to put in 40 hours every week.
Wait...sounds like you're not making an hourly rate, there.

Which is unpossible I've been told.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Boomer is more of a state of mind now. I work with a dude that's 42 and he gets called boomer all the time because he's a dip****
DallasAg03
AG
fka ftc said:

DallasAg03 said:

fka ftc said:

Ag with kids said:

TRADUCTOR said:

In Texas and most other places, unless you are an athlete or an executive, it is HIGHLY unlikely you have an employment contract.

You annual salary contemplates you working 2080 hours less holidays and vacation. But really it's whatever you want to think it is.

Offer letters are not worth the paper they are printed on. For the employee, they mean nothing other than helping you understand you comp. For the employer, it gives them documentation should you ever dispute the compensation terms and they want to shut up.

It's clear most folks do not work in accounting or have ever had the responsibility for hiring, firing employees, running payroll for a company or owning a company.

I'm aware that accounting may calucalte pay hourly, this is done soley for accounting reasons. Do you take your hammer of integrity to depreciated assets?
Ag with kids
AG
bonfarr said:

Moe Jzyslak said:

nvm

Logos Stick got it before me...
fka ftc
DallasAg03 said:

I'm aware that accounting may calucalte pay hourly, this is done soley for accounting reasons. Do you take your hammer of integrity to depreciated assets?
Okay, how ever you want to perceive it, that's your truth. In the real world of business, calucalting things for soley accoutnig porpoises and raisins can be as impurtent as spelling.

For your friend, I am sorry he also has herd tyme understanding basic concepts and seems to be gellus of people who runt their own bidnesses.

You kids make me laugh. The **** you choose to want to die on the swerd for is funny at times.

Annual Salary / 2080 hours gives you an hourly rate in every single company with a payroll department. But is an annual figure makes you happy, use it.
AggieVictor10
AG
First quiet quitting and now hush trips? No one wants to work anymore.
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.

RFK/brain worm 2024
fka ftc
AggieVictor10 said:

Bout time for a lot of Millenials, Gen Zers and the like to learn what this is all about...

Deputy Travis Junior
"Annual Salary / 2080 hours gives you an hourly rate in every single company with a payroll department."

Yes and it's completely irrelevant to the majority of people on salary. When I have to do heavy reporting every quarter-end and my workload surges to 60-70 hours/week for a pay period, my paycheck is identical to the following one when I'm taking it easy and working maybe 35/week. That's because nobody outside the accounting department cares an hourly rate. everybody else knows I'm paid a salary to work as long as it takes to do a job, not to occupy a desk chair for 40.0 hours/week.

Wait until you get to chapter two of accounting for dummies and have to wrap your head around the fact that a 10% depreciation expense doesn't actually mean that a building is worth 10% less than it was the year before.
Ag with kids
AG
fka ftc said:

DallasAg03 said:

Okay, how ever you want to perceive it, that's your truth. In the real world of business, calucalting things for soley accoutnig porpoises and raisins can be as impurtent as spelling.

For your friend, I am sorry he also has herd tyme understanding basic concepts and seems to be gellus of people who runt their own bidnesses.

You kids make me laugh. The **** you choose to want to die on the swerd for is funny at times.

Annual Salary / 2080 hours gives you an hourly rate in every single company with a payroll department. But is an annual figure makes you happy, use it.
Look...a made up number that may or may not have a relationship with how much that person is paid per hour of work...

An hourly rate that does not reflect what the employee is paid is useless...

However, the ANNUAL rate is accurate and not made up.
fka ftc

"Annual Salary / 2080 hours gives you an hourly rate in every single company with a payroll department."

Yes and it's completely irrelevant to the majority of people on salary. When I have to do heavy reporting every quarter-end and my workload surges to 60-70 hours/week for a pay period, my paycheck is identical to the following one when I'm taking it easy and working maybe 35/week. That's because nobody outside the accounting department cares an hourly rate. everybody else knows I'm paid a salary to work as long as it takes to do a job, not to occupy a desk chair for 40.0 hours/week.

Wait until you get to chapter two of accounting for dummies and have to wrap your head around the fact that a 10% depreciation expense doesn't actually mean that a building is worth 10% less than it was the year before.
Nice ad hom. The CPA license on the law indicates I may know about depreciation.

Not sure how many more times I can say it, if a one figure for annual pay makes you and your friends happy, go for it. Its just not how people I know, including myself, manage their business, budgets and expenses.

My controller, AP lady, HR person, hell even the office manager I have are all salary. Yet I plan the business based on our overall delivery of work calculating how many hours on average per widget those folks contribute and what those allocated overhead costs are.

But again, you do you.
fka ftc
Ag with kids
AG
I get paid monthly.

Strangely enough, even though every month has a different number of potential hours I could have worked, my pay is the same every month and at the end of the year, when summed up, the amount is exactly equal to what my annual wage is.

Apparently, my hourly wage changes monthly.
Ag with kids
AG
fka ftc said:

AggieVictor10 said:

Bout time for a lot of Millenials, Gen Zers and the like to learn what this is all about...

Finally, you're understanding how an hourly rate works...
Deputy Travis Junior
fka ftc said:

Nice ad hom. The CPA license on the law indicates I may know about depreciation.

Not sure how many more times I can say it, if a one figure for annual pay makes you and your friends happy, go for it. Its just not how people I know, including myself, manage their business, budgets and expenses.

My controller, AP lady, HR person, hell even the office manager I have are all salary. Yet I plan the business based on our overall delivery of work calculating how many hours on average per widget those folks contribute and what those allocated overhead costs are.

But again, you do you.

Uh huh, uh huh, cool man. My paycheck is identical regardless of whether I am present at my computer for 30, 40, or 60 hours. ergo, I do not have a consistent hourly rate regardless of what the payroll department is doing (assuming perfect hour 40 weeks every week for accounting purposes). Insisting I'm making X/hour when I get the same paycheck regardless of whether I work more or less hours than the number that would solve that equation is just dumb.
fka ftc
fka ftc
Ag with kids
AG
fka ftc said:

But again, you do you.
And at the end of the year, you've paid them their annual salary rate.
fka ftc
terradactylexpress
You ****ing accounting nerds have completely derailed this thread
Sq 17
Logos Stick said:

bonfarr said:

Moe Jzyslak said:

Jmo if you were born in the 60's likely not a boomer , my dad class of '58 graduated got married did 90 days active duty then started working in the oil tool sales / manufacturing. Under your definition my older sisters would be boomers
Deputy Travis Junior
terradactylexpress said:

It was just a bunch of boomers yelling at clouds anyway
Ag with kids
AG
terradactylexpress said:

I'm an engineer.

So I agree with you.
Logos Stick

terradactylexpress said:

I'm a boomer and agreed with your post on the matter. You yelling too?
Logos Stick
Sq 17 said:

Logos Stick said:

bonfarr said:

Moe Jzyslak said:

Jmo if you were born in the 60's likely not a boomer , my dad class of '58 graduated got married did 90 days active duty then started working in the oil tool sales / manufacturing. Under your definition my older sisters would be boomers

Lol.... It's not my definition. The actuaries and scholars have defined it. It's 46-64. Hth.
Ag with kids
AG
Sq 17 said:

Logos Stick said:

bonfarr said:

Moe Jzyslak said:

Well, that IS the definition...

Starting in 1946 (the baby boom occurring with all the soldiers coming back home and having lots of sex) and then for 18 years - 1964.

I guess your sisters are boomers. Now you can give them **** about it.

I'm Gen X from the late 60s and still find it weird that I'm just barely outside of their Yell At The Clouds group.
Deputy Travis Junior
Logos Stick said:

terradactylexpress said:

I'm a boomer and agreed with your post on the matter. You yelling too?

Oh definitely. And as long as there's somebody left to piss off on the internet I'll continue
TxTarpon
Yep

"Hush Trips" by definition are taken with deception.
That is not the same as WFH.
TxTarpon
Gen X started in 1965.
Boomers were 1946-1964

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.