Looks like Wal-Mart is going all in on EV charging stations (SIAP)

7,005 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by techno-ag
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MagnumLoad said:

I specifically looked for EV'S in my travels on Highway 6 this weekend. I based it on if it has an exhaust pipe it is probably not an EV. ALL the vehicles I saw had exhaust pipes. I may have missed some, but EV had to be way less than 1%.
It's prolly higher since most never leave the city limits. They can't go very far without recharging and then it takes a while to recharge. Not very useful for road trips.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
No Spin Ag
TheEternalPessimist said:

Walmart is the kind of company that would put these in the closest parking spots other than handicap so that you non-electric peons know your place at the back of the parking lot. Plus you fatass Trump voters need exercise anyways.

Your statement sounds like it's coming from Target, not Walmart.
Teslag
AG
Depends on the road trip. BCS from just about any of the BIg 3 cities in Texas is easy in a Tesla.
MagnumLoad
But then the recharge takes much more time than gassing up, I think. It is really very simple, anyone who wants an EV should buy one. Just don't force EV's on everyone. I think self determination, aka liberty, is what the greatest country in world history was built on. Let the market decide. Thank you.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
Logos Stick
Teslag said:

Which metals? Be specific.

Newer EV batteries don't use cobalt.

Nickel mining is very bad from what I read, which is one of the big substitutes.
Teslag
AG
Logos Stick said:

Teslag said:

Nickel mining is very bad from what I read, which is one of the big substitutes.

Tesla signed a deal to source their future nickel needs from US mines. The most American made car in production got more American.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-signs-deal-first-us-supply-nickel-with-talon-metals-2022-01-10/
MagnumLoad
I think you should buy one, or another one. It is supposed to be a free country, so go for it.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
AgBandsman
AG
techno-ag said:

MagnumLoad said:

I specifically looked for EV'S in my travels on Highway 6 this weekend. I based it on if it has an exhaust pipe it is probably not an EV. ALL the vehicles I saw had exhaust pipes. I may have missed some, but EV had to be way less than 1%.
It's prolly higher since most never leave the city limits. They can't go very far without recharging and then it takes a while to recharge. Not very useful for road trips.
That's the point. The same government creeps pushing EV's are the same ones that want us stuck in their democrat-run, hell-hole cities.

edit: spelling
tk for tu juan
They can do that with or without EV
LOYAL AG
AG
Teslag said:

I believe the metals in EV batteries are as follows with Russia's rank in global production
Graphite - 6th
Aluminum - 3rd (China runaway leader, everyone else small time)
Nickel - 3rd
Copper - 8th
Steel - 5th (again China runaway leader)
Manganese - N/A
Cobalt - N/A
Lithium - N/A
Iron - 5th

It turns out China is actually bigger than Russia in many of those but I would argue that doesn't inspire confidence in the future supply of those minerals at any scale never mind the scale we'll need to make this transition.

I'm happy to see a shift away from Cobalt but is it gone or reduced? Latest I could find is that Tesla says half of their new cars have batteries that don't use Cobalt. That was a year ago. You probably have more recent data than that.

It's also my understanding that in order to facilitate mass adoption of EV we're going to have to realize production gains of those minerals that is at least a couple of multiples of what we produce today globally. This is probably the biggest red flag for me. It seems naive to think we're going to see rapid expansion of global mining in a world that's increasingly unstable just so Americans can feel better about their cars.

To be clear I love the idea of truly clean energy and I've said on here a thousand times I don't care if my car is powered by cow patties as long as it works. If we reach a point where we have sufficient power and sufficient raw materials then great but this forced adoption of green energy and EV is simply green communism. No this thread isn't about green energy but it's all tied together particularly since it's all being forced upon us by the same people.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
UTExan
Meanwhile, Teslas cost a LOT to repair and insure apparently:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/tesla-evs-even-mildly-damaged-are-being-written-off-by-insurance-companies/ar-AA16UHfX?cvid=1a0e3d4b6a904dec8b16ca8b41404713&ei=17

" There were 120 Tesla Model Y electric vehicles listed in two large salvage auction houses recently, and the "vast majority" had under 10,000 miles on them, according to a report from the Reuters news service.
The insurance companies that covered these vehicles decided that even with so few miles on them, these Teslas aren't worth the $50,000 or so they sometimes cost to repair.
The cost to fix a car has gone up as the ease has decreased over the years, which has prompted a discussion over so-called Right to Repair laws, which would give owners more rights to fix the things they buy.
Right-to-repair laws are starting to get some traction, giving customers more rights to fix the products they buy. But just because you can fix something doesn't mean that it will be easy or affordable. Repairing your own car has become less and less common over the years, but at least local mechanics can come to the rescue... usually. When it comes to Tesla electric vehicles, though, some insurance companies are reportedly deciding that even low-mileage vehicles aren't worth the hassle."
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Logos Stick
I'm in the market for a new truck. I actually accelerated my timeline since Biden is trying to kill oil and gas and ice engines.

The F-150 XLT hybrid is damn near $90k. XLT!!!!!

Lololololololol

You electric guys have at it. Save the environment and I'll save my money.
Bubblez
Chick Fil A has started putting L3 EV charging stations at their stores. The problem of a lack of charging is going away quickly, and spending 20 minutes at Chick Fil A is certainly very reasonable.
Teslag
AG
So 120 cars out of over 1 million Model Y's sold. That's some hard hitting reporting.
spider96
AG
ballchain said:

I can see it now… in the near future where we all live in a post apocalyptic hellscape… those vault dwellers brave enough to venture out must make their way to the long-abandoned Walmarts to recharge their gear and wipeout any bandits and man made horrors beyond our comprehension still lurking a la Fallout.

I've got my spot reserved in Vault 112.
Logos Stick
Bubblez said:

Chick Fil A has started putting L3 EV charging stations at their stores. The problem of a lack of charging is going away quickly, and spending 20 minutes at Chick Fil A is certainly very reasonable.

Lololololololol
tk for tu juan
Logos Stick said:

The F-150 XLT hybrid is damn near $90k. XLT!!!!!

Raising the BS flag on this one. A highly optioned F-150 XLT Powerboost hybrid is around $65k
techno-ag
AG
Bubblez said:

Not on Sundays.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Ag with kids
AG
techno-ag said:

Bubblez said:

Not on Sundays.
God doesn't want you to drive that day anyways...
chris1515
AG
As a WalMart stockholder, I approve.
UTExan
Teslag said:

So 120 cars out of over 1 million Model Y's sold. That's some hard hitting reporting.

That was the data set. Can you tell us about your insurance experience (premiums, etc) and clarify that part at least?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Teslag
AG
I replaced a BMW X3 m40i with a Tesla Y performance and they didn't change much at all. Fast expensive cars are expensive to insure.
one safe place
I am waiting for them to marry the technology of electric vehicles to electricity generated by wind power. Put one of those wind turbines on top, with sensors that cause the blades to fold up and lays down the upright portion as you approach overpasses, power lines, and traffic lights. Charge on the go. No need to sit at Walmart to recharge nor have the need for a map to find the locations where you can charge your car.
Logos Stick
one safe place said:

I am waiting for them to marry the technology of electric vehicles to electricity generated by wind power. Put one of those wind turbines on top, with sensors that cause the blades to fold up and lays down the upright portion as you approach overpasses, power lines, and traffic lights. Charge on the go. No need to sit at Walmart to recharge nor have the need for a map to find the locations where you can charge your car.

Are you familiar with the 1st law of thermodynamics?
Ag with kids
AG
Logos Stick said:

one safe place said:

First, Do No Harm?

****...I hated that class...left it every time and got drunk at the Chicken immediately afterwards.
EskimoJoe
one safe place said:

like the powerstrip that is plugged into itself?

free electricity!
aggiejayrod
AG
Logos Stick said:

one safe place said:

The first rule of thermodynamics is we don't talk about thermodynamics
aggiejayrod
AG
Ag with kids said:

Logos Stick said:

one safe place said:

First, Do No Harm?

****...I hated that class...left it every time and got drunk at the Chicken immediately afterwards.

8 am MWF class?
UnderoosAg
AG
Bubblez said:

The electrical load for 3-4 level 3 chargers is about double the load of the CFA store. On an average WM Supercenter, it's probably about half the store load.

Imagine all these sites adding 50-200% load all over the place. Gonna take more than wind and unicorn farts to support it.
UnderoosAg
AG
aggiejayrod said:

Ag with kids said:

Logos Stick said:

one safe place said:

First, Do No Harm?

8 am MWF class?

''Twas a reason we called it Thermogoddammits
Teslag
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Bubblez said:

The electrical load for 3-4 level 3 chargers is about double the load of the CFA store. On an average WM Supercenter, it's probably about half the store load.

Imagine all these sites adding 50-200% load all over the place. Gonna take more than wind and unicorn farts to support it.

From what I've seen level 3 chargers usually have their own drop independent of the store.
UnderoosAg
AG
They have to, because next to no retailer has the capacity to support adding that much load. But from a utility perspective, a patch of land which used to have X amount of load, now has 1.5-2x load, all peaking at a similar time. 1.5x load, times every Walmart (Target, CFA, etc), on the same grid and infrastructure = gonna need more than unicorn farts.
eric76
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Walmart is still looking for energy suppliers, according to a report by Reuters. In the past, it has worked with providers EVgo and VW's Electrify America. No matter the provider, Walmart has stated that each participating store will receive four chargers and that the company will keep energy prices low, though it has not provided cost estimates.
How in the hell can they promise to keep energy prices low? Not the same as discounts for bulk deliveries of gasoline/diesel is it?
I saw one article that indicates that it isn't unusual for the electricity prices at charging stations to be something like 3 to 10 times the regular electrical prices.

If you can get enough traffic, that should turn a pretty nice profit for them.
eric76
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Good question. Maybe they mean in comparison with others, like how their gas prices are usually lower than nearby gas stations.
That's because they can buy in bulk and save on transportation costs to the suppliers which they can pass on. Wal-mart can control their prices on the ietems they sell through their bulk purchasing power.

How does that work with electricity providers? Not understanding.
There is a nearby gas gathering plant to me.

From what someone who worked there told me, they have more than enough capacity to generate their own electricity, but they buy electricity from the power company at very good rates with the understanding that during peak electrical demands, the power company will shut off their electricity and let them generate their own for that period of time. I think that they give them something like a one hour warning to give them time to start their generators and switch the power to them.

For charging cars, if during peak demand, it would be possible for WalMart to switch the chargers to their own regular commercial power at the higher prices, they might be able to get a big discount most of the time on their EV charging stations.
eric76
AG
TexasAggie73 said:

My local theater has 2 charging stations.
Do they show a movie while it charges and sell you popcorn and other snacks.

Imagine an outdoor movie theater that you could sit in the car and watch a movie while it charges.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.