Looks like Wal-Mart is going all in on EV charging stations (SIAP)

6,995 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by techno-ag
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Old May Banker said:

aggiehawg said:

Old May Banker said:

I think y'all are reading a helluva lot into Walmart 'stating it'll keep energy prices low'....
Such as?

I think it's an advertising slogan saying "we'll offer low cost charging".... nothing more. Maybe I'm reading too little into it.
Trust me. Every word in not only official SEC reports but in press releases and news articles gets parsed when it comes to publicly traded companies with market caps like they have. And the term "misleading" does not have a very, very narrow interpretation. Right now, it is still too far out but going forward they will need to be less on hype and more with facts and numbers on how these charging stations will work and the pricing.

This isn't the same as competing gas stations across the street having price wars over cents per gallon.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Smart, I see a ton of Teslas in the Walmart parking lots
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Good question. Maybe they mean in comparison with others, like how their gas prices are usually lower than nearby gas stations.
That's because they can buy in bulk and save on transportation costs to the suppliers which they can pass on. Wal-mart can control their prices on the ietems they sell through their bulk purchasing power.

How does that work with electricity providers? Not understanding.

Energy can also be bought in bulk
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Then why are there so many brown and blackouts during summer months?
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiehawg said:

Old May Banker said:

aggiehawg said:

Old May Banker said:

I think y'all are reading a helluva lot into Walmart 'stating it'll keep energy prices low'....
Such as?

I think it's an advertising slogan saying "we'll offer low cost charging".... nothing more. Maybe I'm reading too little into it.
Trust me. Every word in not only official SEC reports but in press releases and news articles gets parsed when it comes to publicly traded companies with market caps like they have. And the term "misleading" does not have a very, very narrow interpretation. Right now, it is still too far out but going forward they will need to be less on hype and more with facts and numbers on how these charging stations will work and the pricing.

This isn't the same as competing gas stations across the street having price wars over cents per gallon.
That's not even close to a legal issue.

Hell, this is a company whose primary slogan for decades has been "Every Day Low Prices."
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

That's a delivery issue. Energy is bought on the market in bulk then resold to residential users.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

That's a delivery issue. Energy is bought on the market in bulk then resold to residential users.
I know that. What improvements to the grids will improve the "delivery iisues"??
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I know that. What improvements to the grids will improve the "delivery iisues"??
Black-outs and brown-outs have nothing to do with bulk energy purchases.

"Buying in bulk" is nothing more than an REP agreeing to purchase X amount of energy from a generator for X price. The REP then re-sells the energy to consumers (at whatever Y price the REP has set.)

If a brown-out or black-out happens, then the REP just won't be able to provide/sell electricity during the duration of black-out or brown-out. That doesn't prevent the REP from paying the original X amount for energy and re-selling it for Y price when the power grid is working again.
RED AG 98
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

My guess -- when there are "delivery issues", the chargers at the affected Wal-Mart locations won't work.
When there is ample supply, Wal-Mart has existing contracts and will be able to keep prices low.
richardag
Will they increase the size of their parking lots to add the additional parking spaces needed? Will they tow ICE vehicles parked in the charging spots? Will the charging stations get spots closer to the entrance like the Disabled spaces, or will they spread the out randomly through the parking lot? So many questions
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Excaliber
Walmart stores and Supercenters seem like the perfect place to put up solar panels and battery systems to generate new electricity.
However Texas is not a particularly EV Friendly state since they prejudiciously charge a 400.00 EV registration fee and 200.00 a year road use tax.
In comparison Texas's 20 cent a gallon road use tax is one of the smallest in the US with the average ICE driver paying 100.00 or less per year in road use taxes.
Logos Stick
Excaliber said:

Walmart stores and Supercenters seem like the perfect place to put up solar panels and battery systems to generate new electricity.
However Texas is not a particularly EV Friendly state since they prejudiciously charge a 400.00 EV registration fee and 200.00 a year road use tax.
In comparison Texas's 20 cent a gallon road use tax is one of the smallest in the US with the average ICE driver paying 100.00 or less per year in road use taxes.

My rough math yields $160 per year. Also, EVs are 20% heavier in average. $200 sounds about right.
techno-ag
AG
Quote:

"With a store or club located within 10 miles of approximately 90% of Americans, we are uniquely positioned to deliver a convenient charging option that will help make EV ownership possible whether people live in rural, suburban or urban areas," wrote Vishal Kapadia, Senior Vice President of Energy Transformation at Walmart.

Not for Hearne.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
aggiehawg
AG
techno-ag said:

Quote:

"With a store or club located within 10 miles of approximately 90% of Americans, we are uniquely positioned to deliver a convenient charging option that will help make EV ownership possible whether people live in rural, suburban or urban areas," wrote Vishal Kapadia, Senior Vice President of Energy Transformation at Walmart.

Not for Hearne.
LOL. Too true.
richardag
Excaliber said:

Maybe not as EV friendly as you want. However,
  • Texas produced seven times as much electricity from wind as did California. Other red states Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas and North Dakota also generated more wind power, some more than twice as much as the Golden State.
  • …. 113,880 Gigawatt Hours in Texas : only 15,690 Gigawatt hours in California
  • …. Texas led the nation in production of renewable energy generation with 137,575 Gigawatt Hours out pacing all other states by far.
Unfortunately, renewables (wind/solar) energy sources are not reliable. That means states need redundancy in the form of coal, natural gas and nuclear to be available on a moments notice to take care of the inevitable common loss of energy from solar and wind power. This redundancy costs tens of millions in extra costs, including a scorched earth policy on mining copper for electric power grid lines.

ETA link for 2022 data
Which States Generated the Most Renewable Energy in 2022? Even though no congressional Republican voted for the biggest climate bill in the country's history, red states were among the leaders in green power generation last year. March 17, 2023
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
aggiehawg
AG
Where is the new generating capacity from which to feed the grids happening? Where are the new plants?

I know many of them are being shut down and taken offline. Where are the new ones being built?

Someone needs to answer that question, FIRST.
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiehawg said:

Where is the new generating capacity from which to feed the grids happening? Where are the new plants?

I know many of them are being shut down and taken offline. Where are the new ones being built?

That needs to be answered before what?
Bucketrunner
Coal fired plants weren't just taken offline; they were destroyed. Unless new natural gas plants are permitted and built, we don't have the capacity to provide basic electric services, much less additional power for toy cars.
BonfireNerd04
Old May Banker said:

Smart business decision... they'll get tax breaks, charge for the electricity, and give folks time to charge while they buy their junk.
I think this is going to be the most common business model for EV charging stations.

The "gas station" model, attached to a convenience store (at which you can grab a quick snack before/after you recharge) just isn't going to be practical without a major advancement in DC fast charging technology. People just aren't willing to stand around for 15-30 minutes while their car recharges.

But if you have chargers at restaurants, salons, or shopping malls, where customers will tend to hang around for a while anyway, then the wait just isn't a problem.

In the long run, I expect that most EV's will be charged overnight. Either at home (which will need to accommodate apartments and dormitories with shared parking lots), or at hotels (where many away-from-home people will be). This will greatly reduce the need for "public" charging stations.
Old May Banker
AG
Agreed.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

How much charging do you think the typical urban commuter will need to do?
LOYAL AG
AG
techno-ag said:

Quote:

Not for Hearne.

It's funny too that Hearne doesn't seem bothered by this story. Spend some time there and you get a sense that Wal Mart destroyed downtown Hearne and Hearne fought back. Kind of a bizarre conclusion but not factually incorrect.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
LOYAL AG
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

aggiehawg said:

That needs to be answered before what?

Before we go off the deep end of forcing the end of ICE vehicles in favor of one's that today we can't support with existing power capacity.

The other major question we have to answer is the one about the raw materials required to make EV. Russia is the worlds #1 source of a lot of the metals required and 75% of the worlds cobalt is mined by slaves. Is that really the world we want to live in?
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Teslag
AG
Which metals? Be specific.

Newer EV batteries don't use cobalt.
nortex97
AG
Texas needs to abolish our subsidies for CREZ's (competitive renewable energy zones). Gross waste of money, damaging to the grid/long term costs.

Walmart can do whatever they want. They don't even pick up diapers in their parking lots. I'll just keep parking in whatever spot I feel like if I go to walmart.
Teslag
AG
nortex97 said:

Texas needs to abolish our subsidies for CREZ's (competitive renewable energy zones). Gross waste of money, damaging to the grid/long term costs.

Walmart can do whatever they want. They don't even pick up diapers in their parking lots. I'll just keep parking in whatever spot I feel like if I go to walmart.

I wish they'd bring back the expectant mother spots
tk for tu juan
Bet they go cheap on the cables and completely nerf the available charge rate
MaxPower
joerobert_pete06 said:

Smart, I see a ton of Teslas in the Walmart parking lots
Ha, I go there all the time.
TxTarpon
Old May Banker said:

Smart business decision... they'll get tax breaks, charge for the electricity, and give folks time to charge while they buy their junk.
B...b...b...but "Get Woke, Go Broke" is a catchy saying against crap like this.
Rex Racer
AG
No Spin Ag said:

TAMUallen said:

That's neat, has anybody taken into consideration the extra power demands?

I mean when it gets really hot or cold in Texas we have issues already.
I remember reading somewhere that Elon has been working with Texas to make sure there's more than enough power for the coming demand.

I'd imagine between Elon and whomever Wal-Mart can afford to pay, they'll have something like this taken into consideration as they continue their push into the land of the EV.
Hopefully, this gets us some new nuclear power plants!

Aww, who am I kidding?
TheEternalPessimist
Walmart is the kind of company that would put these in the closest parking spots other than handicap so that you non-electric peons know your place at the back of the parking lot. Plus you fatass Trump voters need exercise anyways.
Teslag
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

Walmart is the kind of company that would put these in the closest parking spots other than handicap so that you non-electric peons know your place at the back of the parking lot. Plus you fatass Trump voters need exercise anyways.

The reason a lot of these are put at the front is because that's where the electric tie-ins exist. It's cheaper than running conduit to the back of lots since most of these are Level 2 chargers. However, Tesla puts theirs in the back because existing electric is not sufficient for Level 3 capacity, and they want to make sure their spots aren't "ICE'ed".
techno-ag
AG
Teslag said:

TheEternalPessimist said:

The reason a lot of these are put at the front is because that's where the electric tie-ins exist. It's cheaper than running conduit to the back of lots since most of these are Level 2 chargers. However, Tesla puts theirs in the back because existing electric is not sufficient for Level 3 capacity, and they want to make sure their spots aren't "ICE'ed".
Eh. Bucee's seems to have figured it out.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Teslag
AG
Hence, my last sentence. That's not a Buccees thing, that's a Tesla thing.
MagnumLoad
I specifically looked for EV'S in my travels on Highway 6 this weekend. I based it on if it has an exhaust pipe it is probably not an EV. ALL the vehicles I saw had exhaust pipes. I may have missed some, but EV had to be way less than 1%.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.