Looks like Wal-Mart is going all in on EV charging stations (SIAP)

6,994 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by techno-ag
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[url]walmart-announces-major-expansion-to-ev-charging-network-184805909.html[/url]

Quote:

Walmart just announced a major expansion to its electric vehicle charging network, with "thousands" of Walmart and Sam's Club locations getting new EV charging stations. According to the company, full implementation will be completed by 2030.

The news does not say precisely how many of the approximately 5,300 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club locations throughout the country will be added to the network, and the company declined to share additional information with Engadget. Walmart currently operates 1,300 EV fast-charging stations located at more than 280 retail stores and affiliated facilities.

"With a store or club located within 10 miles of approximately 90% of Americans, we are uniquely positioned to deliver a convenient charging option that will help make EV ownership possible whether people live in rural, suburban or urban areas," wrote Vishal Kapadia, Senior Vice President of Energy Transformation at Walmart.

"Easy access to on-the-go charging is a game-changer for drivers who have been hesitant to purchase an EV."

Walmart is still looking for energy suppliers, according to a report by Reuters. In the past, it has worked with providers EVgo and VW's Electrify America. No matter the provider, Walmart has stated that each participating store will receive four chargers and that the company will keep energy prices low, though it has not provided cost estimates.

Walmart wants to improve its overall environmental footprint in ways both large and small. In addition to this new EV charger initiative, the company stated that all supply chain vehicles will achieve "zero emissions" by 2040 and that it has already transitioned to some electric vehicles for deliveries.

They, like Buc-ees adding Tesla superchargers to their stores, seem to be leading the charge (no pun intended) to be a place to charge their vehicles while they do some shopping.

It'll be interesting to see who follows.
Old May Banker
AG
Smart business decision... they'll get tax breaks, charge for the electricity, and give folks time to charge while they buy their junk.
LOYAL AG
AG
No Spin Ag said:

[url]walmart-announces-major-expansion-to-ev-charging-network-184805909.html[/url]

Quote:

Walmart just announced a major expansion to its electric vehicle charging network, with "thousands" of Walmart and Sam's Club locations getting new EV charging stations. According to the company, full implementation will be completed by 2030.

The news does not say precisely how many of the approximately 5,300 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club locations throughout the country will be added to the network, and the company declined to share additional information with Engadget. Walmart currently operates 1,300 EV fast-charging stations located at more than 280 retail stores and affiliated facilities.

"With a store or club located within 10 miles of approximately 90% of Americans, we are uniquely positioned to deliver a convenient charging option that will help make EV ownership possible whether people live in rural, suburban or urban areas," wrote Vishal Kapadia, Senior Vice President of Energy Transformation at Walmart.

"Easy access to on-the-go charging is a game-changer for drivers who have been hesitant to purchase an EV."

Walmart is still looking for energy suppliers, according to a report by Reuters. In the past, it has worked with providers EVgo and VW's Electrify America. No matter the provider, Walmart has stated that each participating store will receive four chargers and that the company will keep energy prices low, though it has not provided cost estimates.

Walmart wants to improve its overall environmental footprint in ways both large and small. In addition to this new EV charger initiative, the company stated that all supply chain vehicles will achieve "zero emissions" by 2040 and that it has already transitioned to some electric vehicles for deliveries.

They, like Buc-ees adding Tesla superchargers to their stores, seem to be leading the charge (no pun intended) to be a place to charge their vehicles while they do some shopping.

It'll be interesting to see who follows.

This is a good answer. The #1 problem with EV is the time it takes to charge vs filling up my gas tank. Putting them at a store where you're probably there for more than 5 minutes makes that a viable alternative. I don't like Wal Mart and rarely go but I'm sure that makes me the outlier.

Good on WM.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
TAMUallen
AG
That's neat, has anybody taken into consideration the extra power demands?

I mean when it gets really hot or cold in Texas we have issues already.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

How in the hell can they promise to keep energy prices low? Not the same as discounts for bulk deliveries of gasoline/diesel is it?
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
No Spin Ag
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

How in the hell can they promise to keep energy prices low? Not the same as discounts for bulk deliveries of gasoline/diesel is it?
Good question. Maybe they mean in comparison with others, like how their gas prices are usually lower than nearby gas stations.
No Spin Ag
TAMUallen said:

That's neat, has anybody taken into consideration the extra power demands?

I mean when it gets really hot or cold in Texas we have issues already.
I remember reading somewhere that Elon has been working with Texas to make sure there's more than enough power for the coming demand.

I'd imagine between Elon and whomever Wal-Mart can afford to pay, they'll have something like this taken into consideration as they continue their push into the land of the EV.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Good question. Maybe they mean in comparison with others, like how their gas prices are usually lower than nearby gas stations.
That's because they can buy in bulk and save on transportation costs to the suppliers which they can pass on. Wal-mart can control their prices on the ietems they sell through their bulk purchasing power.

How does that work with electricity providers? Not understanding.
ballchain
TexasAggie73
AG
My local theater has 2 charging stations.
No Spin Ag
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

That's because they can buy in bulk and save on transportation costs to the suppliers which they can pass on. Wal-mart can control their prices on the ietems they sell through their bulk purchasing power.

I hear you. I have no clue, but that's for Wal-Mart to back up when they get this thing going.
Ag with kids
AG
So...are these charging stations going to be way in the back out of the way or right up front giving EV owners better parking?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I hear you. I have no clue, but that's for Wal-Mart to back up when they get this thing going.
That's kind of my point. The (retired) lawyer in me looks at that promise as a material misstatement from a securities fraud aspect.
No Spin Ag
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

That's kind of my point. The (retired) lawyer in me looks at that promise as a material misstatement from a securities fraud aspect.

Lucky for Wal-Mart that they don't have mama Hawg on the other side of the table if things go south.
kb2001
AG
Smart move by Walmart. If consumers want it, companies will enter the market and provide it.
Buying_time
AG
At the beginning, the virtue signaling SJWs will got back to using Walmart. They will stop after a short period when the shine wears off. The encounters between People of Walmart and the EV drivers will create a new surge of crazy videos posted to the web.
aggiehawg
AG
No Spin Ag said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Lucky for Wal-Mart that they don't have mama Hawg on the other side of the table if things go south.
Oh they don't need me. There are thousands of shareholder derivative suit lawyers who live for this stuff.
agdoc2001
AG
I'd love to see that Venn Diagram of Tesla drivers vs Walmart shoppers. I wonder how many are really willing to set foot in a Walmart while waiting for the vehicle to charge.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old May Banker
AG
Walmart can afford to give energy away longer than I could sell if for profit if that's what they want to do.
Tone2002
The consumer base for Walmart is demanding more EV access. I wouldn't guess that from the people of Walmart website. Interesting.
aggiehawg
AG
agdoc2001 said:

I'd love to see that Venn Diagram of Tesla drivers vs Walmart shoppers. I wonder how many are really willing to set foot in a Walmart while waiting for the vehicle to charge.
Did someone mention Venn Diagrams?

one safe place
Ag with kids said:

So...are these charging stations going to be way in the back out of the way or right up front giving EV owners better parking?
Those with the fake handicap tag and an electric vehicle will get to park inside the building.
Old May Banker
AG
Quote:

The consumer base for Walmart is demanding more EV access.

I'm not sure I'd read it that way as much as "Walmart making a play to capture more business from EV drivers"
Icecream_Ag
S
Ag with kids said:

I'll give you 3 guess and the first 2 don't count
Showertime at the Bidens

The EV snobs aren't going to like all the dirty diapers around the charging stations
doubledog
I am sure some Walmart people will try to shoplift the EV charging stations, if that is possible.
AggieUSMC
AG
Old May Banker said:

Smart business decision... they'll get tax breaks, charge for the electricity, and give folks time to charge while they buy their junk.
This. I don't mind the growth in EVs as long as it's through the organic market and not forced on us by the greens in government.
Ag with kids
AG
doubledog said:

I am sure some Walmart people will try to shoplift the EV charging stations, if that is possible.
IF there's any copper that **** is GONE...
P.H. Dexippus
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Commercial and industrial users negotiate their energy contracts differently and at better rates that retail residential. So it makes sense that Wal-Mart is going to be able to offer a lower price than the PowerWall in your garage.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Commercial and industrial users negotiate their energy contracts differently and at better rates that retail residential.
I understand that but they also know in advance of what their energy needs will be and can average those out.
Old May Banker
AG
I think y'all are reading a helluva lot into Walmart 'stating it'll keep energy prices low'....
ChemEAg08
AG
aggiehawg
AG
Old May Banker said:

I think y'all are reading a helluva lot into Walmart 'stating it'll keep energy prices low'....
Such as?
Old May Banker
AG
aggiehawg said:

Old May Banker said:

Such as?

I think it's an advertising slogan saying "we'll offer low cost charging".... nothing more. Maybe I'm reading too little into it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.