Rainey st ripper?

19,667 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by angus55
Who?mikejones!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rumors of a Rainey street serial killer are starting to ramp up after the 5 death in 6 months of someone finding their way into town lake and drowning.

I think there has been 8 or so deaths over the last year.

Seems like too common an event for them to be coincidental. It's hard for me to imagine being drunk, falling in a lake, and not being able to get out.

https://www.chron.com/news/local/article/austin-rainey-street-serial-killer-17897462.php

What say yall?
BurnetAggie99
Probably drugging the victims. Rainey street and 6th street have a history of people getting drugged in bars
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I saw there is a similar string going on in Chicago as well.
MouthBQ98
AG
Is there any common profile in the drownings? Gender? Age? Ethnicity? Homeless? Drugs in system?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
The video I saw tiring it together with Chicago I believe said white late twenties early thirties intoxicated walking home alone.
usmcbrooks
Is the related to the 4 bodies they've recovered at Lady Bird Lake since Feb?

Edit: Indeed sir.
Who?mikejones!
Who?mikejones!
MouthBQ98 said:

Is there any common profile in the drownings? Gender? Age? Ethnicity? Homeless? Drugs in system?

It's from the daily mail, but most recents look to be 20- early 30s males.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11986015/Fears-serial-killer-Austin-EIGHTH-body-pulled-Lady-Bird-Lake.html

Christian Pugh, 21, was found alive in the lake back in 2019 but in 'rough' condition. He sustained a hit to the head and bruised hands.
BaileyAg
AG
Any smiley faces on trees, stones, etc, found in the area?
Smiley face killings seem to still be going on in the midwest
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
deddog said:

Quote:

In March, a fence and signage were placed along the waterfront to prevent people from accessing the water when leaving bars on Rainey Street
It's all good .
We have signs now.

Liberals have fixed the problems.

Hopefully they will get some social workers to stand by the signs.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Who?mikejones!
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/afd-body-recovered-from-lady-bird-lake-tuesday/
aggiehawg
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/afd-body-recovered-from-lady-bird-lake-tuesday/
Holy crap! Punctuation, people. I see AFD-body-recovered and I think a firefighter died, not that AFD found a floater.
MouthBQ98
AG
Drunks can't swim very well.
Kvetch
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Drunks can't swim very well.

That location isn't near Rainey Street.
MouthBQ98
AG
There are bars all along that general area. Or within a few blocks at most. It's part of my work territory so I am somewhat familiar.
Ghost91
MouthBQ98 said:

There are bars all along that general area. Or within a few blocks at most. It's part of my work territory so I am somewhat familiar.

And just like that, TexAgs has identified a person-of-interest.
MouthBQ98
AG
Someone that isn't into the idiot hype about this? It is getting a little strange there are an unusual number of drownings but there are a few every year since getting wasted in the south part of downtown austin became a thing and even moreso now that there are bar scenes on both sides of the river/lake.
one safe place
There are a lot of places where bodies of water are near places where there are bars and such, and they don't seem to have as high of a body count as this place.

I bet there is some commonality among all of the victims.
Burdizzo
AG
A guy I went to high school with was one of the first hipsters to buy and gentrify on Rainey Street. That was about 30 years ago. He is an Aggie. AFAIK, he still runs his little architect studio out of that house.

It really makes you think
fullback44
AG
Very strange to say the least .. possibly bums High as a kite on some type of drug falling in the lake? Hell who knows, they have a bum problem in that town.. I'm sure a lot of those bums are not mentally right either ? Just my 2 cents …:
Love Gun
APD needs to do some background work on the victims. They're all men, sure, but what else? Stop looking at age, ethnicity and crap - look at lifestyle. Were these family men? Homeless? Gays? Reported Lost? Out-of-towners?

What's the scoop?
**** Joe Biden
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
dexter
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
Thought this was going to be about a Rainey Stripper.
IndividualFreedom
Could just be McNulty making up a serial killer to get more police funding.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Quote:

What say yall?

I say "Rainey Street Ripper" is a terrible name for a perp who is supposedly drowning people.
Beezy2389
AG
It's college aged men near a strip of bars. Probably as simple of a target criteria as that. Seem to be drunk men walking alone, my guess is homeless attacker or some hot chick offering the guys rides.
Robert L. Peters
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Quote:

What say yall?

I say "Rainey Street Ripper" is a terrible name for a perp who is supposedly drowning people.

Rainey Street Dipper
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
Squadron7
AG
They all killed themselves because Texas denies gender affirming care?

This is Austin we are talking about.
Tramp96
Really disappointed to open this thread and find out it's not about a stripper.
pagerman @ work
AG
Drowning someone is not exactly the easiest way to kill someone. That would seem to be a strange MO for an outdoor serial killer.
P.U.T.U
AG
Doesn't sound like they are "drowning" them, sounds like alcohol plus drugs are being used. Dump the unconscious body in the lake and suffocates/drowns in the water.
Kvetch
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

If I'm reading it correctly, it was found basically right next to Zilker. The closest district would be W. 6th Street. There are restaurants along Barton Springs Road, but they aren't bars where people go out for the most part.
Bulldog73
AG
BaileyAg said:

Any smiley faces on trees, stones, etc, found in the area?
Smiley face killings seem to still be going on in the midwest
The first thing that popped into my head.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiley_face_murder_theory
Based Hiker
This one is weird. Doesn't seem likely that there would be so many drownings in that general area without foul play. When they find out what exactly is causing this, it probably increases the body count due to linked cases.

I get the feeling that Austin PD knows that a homeless person is responsible here and they are doing everything they can to link this to drowning.

I could be way off base here, but I don't trust the city govt. for anything.
MouthBQ98
AG
It's possible someone is drugging and dumping them but it would show on toxicology in autopsy. It is a little suspicious but there would need to be some sort of pattern outside of drunks falling into a big lake that cuts all the way through the center of a city. Are they being robbed? Are they having their phones stolen? Are they drugged, drunk? Do they match a certain profile? Is there a particular location in the lake? Are they parked nearby or did they arrive on foot or by public transportation to the area? Were they observed to enter any particular bars or restaurants?

I'm sure APD is checking all this stuff out looking for any patterns but just using the simplest explanation, there's a lot of drunk and high people in central Austin at night and sometimes they wander down to the water front and fall in to the giant lake in the middle of town that has no rails or anything pretty much anywhere along any of the shorelines.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.