Dallas/Ft Worth Area 3rd Airport

15,462 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FriendlyAg
LegalDrugPusher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The bond failed.

My wife and I changed our minds about the airport 2 weeks ago and decided to vote NO.
Im Gipper
Really? What was reason?

I'm Gipper
murphyag
AG
LegalDrugPusher said:

On May 6 McKinney residents will vote to approve or disapprove a $200 million bond to create the metroplexes 3rd commercial airport.

I live in McKinney and I will be voting Yes and it seems like the airport bind will pass.

The Collin County region is fast growing and the fastest growing County in America with so much business and entertainment in this county alone or at the very least in far east Denton County the Frisco side the demand for another commercial airport is overdue.

The terminal will initially have 4 gates and I hear 2 airlines will serve McKinney National supposedly American and Delta with destinations yet to be determined. If Delta is one of the carriers Atlanta will for sure be a destination. Chicago, LA, Houston and New York are possible other cities.

The airport will attract passengers well beyond Collin County such as Southern Oklahoma, East Texas such as Paris and the Sherman/Denison area which will be much more convenient for potential passengers than driving all the way to DFW or Love Field.

Here are some renderings of what this airport will look like.

One of my sisters lives in Grayson County. She would love it if this passes. And so would I…..would keep me from having to drive her and her family to DFW every time they go on vacation. I've somehow turned my driveway into airport parking and myself into the airport shuttle over the years.
dead
AG
What changed your mind?

Edit: Especially considering that two weeks ago (from May 6) was 2 days after the thread was started
AggiePetro07
AG
dead said:

What changed your mind?
Urban Ag
AG
Disclaimer, I didn't read the whole thread. Also not sure why LDP would change his mind and hopefully he explains.

That said, seemed like a very worthwhile idea to me. I know there are plenty of Ags who post here that live in work in that area. I commuted to Plano from Georgetown for nearly a decade. It sucked.

Driving to Bergstrom than flying to DFW is a pain in the ass and an even bigger pain once you land at DFW and have to get to the Plano/Frisco/McKinney area. You know, literally the most economically vibrant place in the country.

Driving from the Austin area is likewise a pain in the ass because of two specific reasons. Road construction on 35 and then getting through downtown Dallas. It could take three hours in perfect conditions, it could take 5-6 going up or coming home if traffic, weather, or construction was the suck.

Love Field sucks. The whole area sucks.

My guess would be that the real drive behind this was higher end flyers that want to get in to and out of Collin Co without having to deal with DFW or the rest of the metroplex. Like flying in to OC instead of LAX. Captain Obvious, I get it, but seems like a great idea.
Eliminatus
AG
I imagine this will still go through. Just not with public funding. A lot to gain from it I think.
cslifer
Waiting on OP to come and explain why he changed his mind when he posted about how strongly he was for it….50/50 we don't get an explanation.
Im Gipper
cslifer said:

Waiting on OP to come and explain why he changed his mind when he posted about how strongly he was for it….50/50 we don't get an explanation.

Weird post.

What it a current girlfriend or in the past?

I'm Gipper
GAC06
AG
dead said:

What changed your mind?

Edit: Especially considering that two weeks ago (from May 6) was 2 days after the thread was started

LDP doesn't pick losers. That's why he likes DeSantis and why Trump is just taking the media heat before endorsing DeSantis
zephyr88
AG

$200,000,000 for dozens of flights per day?
Hoyt Ag
AG
Gotta line them pockets.
Aston04
AG
Would be pretty fun to spend $200 million so people can fly an AA commuter flight from McKinney to DFW to connect...
BoDog
AG
If memory serves, OP is a big anti-Fuller guy (as am I) so maybe that had something to do with it?

Having said that, the morons in McKinney really F'ed up on this one. McKinney is well on its way to Garland 2.0!

NOTE: Fuller is the mayor for those of you wondering...
GAC06
AG
Aston04 said:

Would be pretty fun to spend $200 million so people can fly an AA commuter flight from McKinney to DFW to connect...

More like Houston/Denver/Atlanta/Chicago/Vegas
Bird Poo
AG
Aston04 said:

They use those initial flights for FAA environmental conformity to show that emissions would be minuscule.

Carriers would double the flights within a year.
Ag with kids
AG
Aston04 said:

What's funny is I know SEVERAL people that work for the FAA that will not fly on commuter flights. They've flown into IAH and driven here rather than catch that short flight...

I found it amusing.
TheCurl84
AG
BoDog said:

If memory serves, OP is a big anti-Fuller guy (as am I) so maybe that had something to do with it?

Having said that, the morons in McKinney really F'ed up on this one. McKinney is well on its way to Garland 2.0!

NOTE: Fuller is the mayor for those of you wondering...

As a Garland person, I resemble that remark
BoDog
AG
Having grown up on the east Richardson/Garland line I feel ya....
Get Off My Lawn
I generally hate government transportation - but if you want to make DFW air travel better - you don't need to add mediocre alternatives: you need to make getting to DFW far easier. Crank the "remote lot" idea up to 11. Park 20 miles away and be done with it rather than needing to fight traffic.
Ag with kids
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

I generally hate government transportation - but if you want to make DFW air travel better - you don't need to add mediocre alternatives: you need to make getting to DFW far easier. Crank the "remote lot" idea up to 11. Park 20 miles away and be done with it rather than needing to fight traffic.
Urban Air Mobility is on its way...

(Think Uber air taxis).

New ConOps dropped in the last few days...
v1rotate92
AG
May be a relevant airport when our kids are old
Get Off My Lawn
Ag with kids said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

(Think Uber air taxis).

The ability to bypass traffic is big, so that could be a good option. Heli pads east and west of the runways serviced by the tram to lilypad folks to respective nodes in corners of the metroplex…
BassCowboy33
This is shocking to me. The people I have spoken to in the region were really excited about this, public officials and private citizens alike.

The only thing I can find on this is that some residents were complaining it would bring too many people and unwanted noise to the area, which are terrible reasons to halt economic growth. There could very well be other reasons as well.
riverrataggie
AG
Im Gipper said:

Really? What was reason?

Because it was a waste of money and anyone could see that.
Ag with kids
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Ag with kids said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

(Think Uber air taxis).

The ability to bypass traffic is big, so that could be a good option. Heli pads east and west of the runways serviced by the tram to lilypad folks to respective nodes in corners of the metroplex…
Well...we call them vertiports, but yes, you've got the overall concept.

There will be UAM corridors that will take the UAM vehicles from VP to VP throughout the urban areas (good news, DFW WILL BE one of the first to employ this tech).

And the first vertiports that are being tested are all up in the area north of Ft Worth/Dallas. From the Alliance area, to around UNT, to Frisco, etc...
Kellso
Ag CPA said:

Doubt this ever comes to fruition.
American Airlines (Ft Worth) and Southwest Airlines(Dallas) run things in the metroplex.

This was never going to happen when two of the biggest employers in the area have both sunk millions of dollars into each of the two main airports.

Not enough demand in McKinney for something that is already in place at Love Field and DFW.
The Airports in Southern California such as Ontario, Orange County, Long Beach...etc service a much higher population base than Eastern Collin County.

Someone that live in Frisco can easily get to Love Field via the Dallas North Tollway, or DFW by using 121. The DART Rail Silver line will allow someone to ride from Plano, or Richardson directly to the airport without having to use a car.
Ag with kids
AG
Kellso said:

Ag CPA said:

American Airlines (Ft Worth) and Southwest Airlines(Dallas) run things in the metroplex.

This was never going to happen when two of the biggest employers in the area have both sunk millions of dollars into each of the two main airports.

Not enough demand in McKinney for something that is already in place at Love Field and DFW.
The Airports in Southern California such as Ontario, Orange County, Long Beach...etc service a much higher population base than Eastern Collin County.

Someone that live in Frisco can easily get to Love Field via the Dallas North Tollway, or DFW by using 121. The DART Rail Silver line will allow someone to ride from Plano, or Richardson directly to the airport without having to use a car.
I assume they walk to the DART station?
maroonthrunthru
The airport was going to be fully funded by McKinney residents…. 200 mil… Probably end up being 300-400 mil…

McKinney City Council recently screwed over a number of McKinney neighborhoods by not vigorously opposing the 380 bypass from TXDOT…

Instead of routing it out in the country through undeveloped land, it's going straight into McKinney, disrupting existing neighborhoods and businesses and costing $200 million MORE…

George Fuller has the unfortunate reputation of being in bed with developers (he's also one), who stood to gain millions by developing land around the proposed airport… He also has been described as having a bit of a God complex… A bit condescending…

The city also had a fiasco surrounding the construction of a terminal at the existing facility…

With all that factored in, I'm surprised the vote was as close as it was… And it was a landslide loss…

Kellso
Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

Ag CPA said:

I assume they walk to the DART station?
If you live at Cityplace in Richardson you won't have to get in a car at all to get to the DFW airport.

Plano is also building a big new residential area on the North Side of the Bush freeway/Plano Rd that will also be walking distance to the Silver Line Train Route.

LegalDrugPusher
We changed our mind because there has not been anything from any airline saying that yes we will be flying there all just a big wait-and-see approach which I did not like
Kellso
Urban Ag said:

Disclaimer, I didn't read the whole thread. Also not sure why LDP would change his mind and hopefully he explains.

That said, seemed like a very worthwhile idea to me. I know there are plenty of Ags who post here that live in work in that area. I commuted to Plano from Georgetown for nearly a decade. It sucked.

Driving to Bergstrom than flying to DFW is a pain in the ass and an even bigger pain once you land at DFW and have to get to the Plano/Frisco/McKinney area. You know, literally the most economically vibrant place in the country.

Driving from the Austin area is likewise a pain in the ass because of two specific reasons. Road construction on 35 and then getting through downtown Dallas. It could take three hours in perfect conditions, it could take 5-6 going up or coming home if traffic, weather, or construction was the suck.

Love Field sucks. The whole area sucks.

My guess would be that the real drive behind this was higher end flyers that want to get in to and out of Collin Co without having to deal with DFW or the rest of the metroplex. Like flying in to OC instead of LAX. Captain Obvious, I get it, but seems like a great idea.
Love Field is one of the best Airports in the entire country.
San Diego and Washington DC are the only other US cities to have a Major Airport closer to its CBD than Love Field's proximity to Downtown Dallas.

The only thing the Airport is really missing is a people mover from the airport to the DART Station.
BoDog
AG
LegalDrugPusher said:

We changed our mind because there has not been anything from any airline saying that yes we will be flying there all just a big wait-and-see approach which I did not like
Bro, thats exactly how development work. If you build it, they will come.
Aston04
AG
Not always. The commercial airport in Branson only has Frontier and a couple crappy non-affiliated small airlines. They once got SWA for about a half year- but they left the airport. Not a given.

(Obviously not even close to same population.... but then again they don't have freaking DFW and Love nearby either)..
Kellso
BassCowboy33 said:

This is shocking to me. The people I have spoken to in the region were really excited about this, public officials and private citizens alike.

The only thing I can find on this is that some residents were complaining it would bring too many people and unwanted noise to the area, which are terrible reasons to halt economic growth. There could very well be other reasons as well.
American Airlines was never going to support a 3rd Airport in McKinney when they are about to sink a ton of $$$$ to Build Terminal F.
American Airlines and Southwest Airlines run things around these parts.

There are only 1.1 Million People in Collin County compared to 3.2 Million in Orange County.
Collin County doesn't really have the population to support its own airport....not with DFW and Love Field right there.

Quote:

DFW International Airport and American Airlines have come to a deal for $4.8 billion in expansions, including $1.6 billion for a new terminal that would include 15 new gates.

It would restart work delayed when the COVID-19 pandemic upended the airline industry and added uncertainty to the growth of the airport and the entire air travel industry. But travel demand has come back strong, giving the airport and primary tenant American Airlines the confidence to expand again.

The new Terminal F would expand the airport's existing 168 gates and give room to grow up to 100 million passengers in the next six or seven years, airport CEO Sean Donohue said while announcing the project Tuesday morning.
"It creates the framework of how we share the economic benefits of the airport with our airline partners," Donohue said.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2023/05/16/dfw-airport-restarting-work-on-pandemic-delayed-sixth-terminal/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.