Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

455,809 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
one safe place said:

Prosperdick said:

nortex97 said:

So wait, the Harvard horse-face chick couldn't even come up with the galactically stupid idea on her own, she had to listen to this moron.
Probably best not to listen to anyone about anything when they are little more than children, whether it be the two you mention, or the guy and gal with the FTX thing. They may have had success in one or more things but need a little more wear on their tread before they should be trusted with your own company's future.

Pretty wild who people will listen to these days:

FTX - a bunch of completely unqualified dorks who have zero experience doing anything they were doing.

Bud Light - our demographic is frat guys, blue collar dudes, and the middle class. You know what? Let's listen to an Indian guy in San Francisco on how to market our product.

Lol at everyone involved in both of these deals.
American Hardwood
AG
How dare you forget Greta!
Tramp96
powerbelly said:

Danwell Home said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

$27 billion+ in losses so far; queer influencers most affected.
Welp, time to get a job.

It's too bad we can't just get rid of all social media influencers.
1000000000000000x this.

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Been to 4-5 corporate charity golf events over the last couple of months and the one yesterday was no different from the rest. Contractor tents with snacks, booze, beer and not a single bud lite in any cooler anywhere to be seen. Some Bud and MU but not sure how many of those were touched.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
will25u
bonfarr
AG
will25u said:

I love the sentiment but no way that is a real news article. The quotes seem completely made up.
Sea Speed
AG
Daily news in time dot net
Sea Speed
AG
bonfarr said:

will25u said:

I love the sentiment but no way that is a real news article. The quotes seem completely made up.
1st Generation Ag
YouBet said:

one safe place said:

Prosperdick said:

nortex97 said:

So wait, the Harvard horse-face chick couldn't even come up with the galactically stupid idea on her own, she had to listen to this moron.
Probably best not to listen to anyone about anything when they are little more than children, whether it be the two you mention, or the guy and gal with the FTX thing. They may have had success in one or more things but need a little more wear on their tread before they should be trusted with your own company's future.

Pretty wild who people will listen to these days:

FTX - a bunch of completely unqualified dorks who have zero experience doing anything they were doing.

Bud Light - our demographic is frat guys, blue collar dudes, and the middle class. You know what? Let's listen to an Indian guy in San Francisco on how to market our product.

Lol at everyone involved in both of these deals.
The Navy - officers who got promoted for reasons having nothing to do at all with warfighting.
1st Generation Ag
Hogties said:

Another anecdote from the field I happened to be walking into a Walmart today with a Budweiser distributer field guy. I struck up a conversation that went like this:

Me - so how's this Bud Light controversy impacting you guys?
Him - well let me put it to you this way, out of our customers, 20% say they will never come back. The other 80% haven't decided.
Me - you mean 80% don't know much about this whole Mulvaney deal?
Him - No. I mean 20% say they will never come back. The other 80% just haven't decided when they will come back. But they think they will eventually start drinking Bud Light again.
Me - wow! That must impact how much money you guys are making.
Him - it hasn't impacted me yet, but the higher ups, yeah, it's killing them.

Field report from South Louisiana.
20% of the customer base permanently gone. For a high-volume, low-margin product, that's pretty much a death sentence. And that doesn't include the other 80% who might be permanently gone.

Edit: Maybe not a death sentence, but they will have to unload a heck of a lot of assets to survive in their new reduced-volume world.
American Hardwood
AG
I read the very brief linked article and frankly, it doesn't make any sense.
dreyOO
Jack Squat 83 said:

The difference with this "boycott" is (to my knowledge) there's no leader or group screaming to the troops to boycott the product. 99% of this deal is organic and the folks are simply making the choice to make this statement because it means something to them.

If you step back and look at the whole movement, it's simply amazing, massive shift in dollars. Way to go, folks. Enough is finally enough.

The free market at work. Which is hilarious because without the run rate, contractual business already in place, the numbers would be ridiculous.
will25u
They are really trying their little hearts out...

More on Twit.

Tramp96
Quote:

"As we move forward, we will focus on what we do best brewing great beer and earning our place in moments that matter to you."

Robert L. Peters
What did the leftists tell us? Start your own beer company? Lol!
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
Ags4DaWin
LOL read the statement carefully.

They are STILL not backing down.

we are a beer company and beer is for everyone

Is the CEO's sneaky way of saying. We weren't wrong. We are going to continue this **** but try to keep it more under the radar and figure out where the line us to see how far we can push it before we upset people again. The people boycotting us are bigots because they don't think our beer should be for EVERYONE.

Everyone is code for the Alphabet people.

Keep it going.

**** 'em because they refuse to learn anything from this
TexasAggiesWin
S
And the CEO is still full of ****. That is such a weak ass statement and he and his leadership refuses to acknowledge that it was himself that screwed up. It wasn't the customers fault, it was the C-suite team's fault.

You are a damn beer company. This isn't rocket science
Ag In Ok
AG
Damn that makes it about a $30 billion dollar six pack.
ABATTBQ11
AG
1st Generation Ag said:

The Navy - officers who got promoted for reasons having nothing to do at all with warfighting.

Welcome to the peacetime military. This is a historical issue with just about any great power, where leaders and the promotion of leaders with nothing to fight lose focus on fighting. It turns into every organization where leadership falls into the trap of promoting people they like instead of people that fit the job. In wartime, those people they like end up dying and the people they need are what's left
BassCowboy33
Lots of internet convo on this one going both ways. Worth posting, but feels like GP, which already has a dubious journalistic record, is gaslighting a situation that isn't really a story.
nortex97
AG
CNN, which is not news at all, and is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such, reports that it's not a 'boycott' but 'changing tastes' which drove the huge sales shift over the past month or two.

Quote:

Romans went full-on clown world, right out of the chute (emphasis mine):
Quote:

Hi there, John. Well, yeah, Modelo prevails, pardon the pun, over the king of beers, dethroned here: Bud Light, in the most recent month. Bud Light's share of the market was less than Modelo. So it lost its top standing there. 8.4 percent ofof beer sales in May belong to Modelo, only 7.3 percent, Bud Light.

So, that is a big shift. Now, you're right, there's some changing tastes happening and also this is the month of May. There's Cinco de Mayo, there's also a really clever advertising promotion campaign from Modelo. And changing tastes. Analysts tell us that already there's been an affinity, growing affinity for Mexican beer and spirits for some time now. So that's sort of a tipping point that you're seeing here.
Stop the tape. Prior to its epic fall, Bud Light has been the top-selling beer in America since 2001. By my count, that's 22 Cinco de Mayos in a row. Moreover, the so-called growing affinity for Mexican beer and spirits hardly includes swill er light beer.

Romans partially recovered, apparently deciding she didn't want to look as foolish as Berman.
Quote:

When you look at overall sales though, sales for Bud Light down more than 24 percent in the month. That is kind of a staggering number here. And for Modelo, sales up 12.2 percent.

So these numbers are telling a story. You mentioned the transgender influencer who had one can, one customized can of Bud Light, and did an Instagram post, and conservative media and conservative social media went on a very full, full, forceful boycott ofof the beer, and so that is one other kind of factor here at play.

So you have two things happening. You've got changing tastes, you've got several months, actually years, of declining tastes for light beer in particular, and then you have this social media fail, quite frankly, fromfrom Bud Light.

It made a lot of corporate directors are watching what Bud Light did in this whole situation, and finding a lot of fault with howhow it managed and behaved in the situation, from a corporate and PR standpoint.

FrioAg 00
AG
The right answer is to fire some high level people, then come out and say:

"It's my fault. I'm that one that hired the people who confused a job of selling you great beer with the right to virtue signal and preach to you what they thought American values ought to be. Even worse, I was far too slow in realizing what was happening - I wasn't listening to you.

But I'm listening now and I have learned a lot. It will never happen again. We've made a lot of changes and All I'm asking is got the chance to re-earn your trust and the right to sell you beer again.

As a start to earning that trust - I'd like to begin by offering a 50% rebate for the rest of summer. We are also going to donate 10% of sales to veteran support organizations because we are thankful for the America they protect.

Respectfully, AB"
American Hardwood
AG
Yeah, sponsoring a venue is not the same thing as sponsoring as specific event.

ETA: I've done a little work with festival planning before, and it is very common that venue sponsors are lined up way before the acts that appear in that venue are signed up.
American Hardwood
AG
That's some Orwellian level of re-writing the truth. Prior to the trans-can I'm fairly certain that all major beer brands had a generally downward trend because of increased competition from craft beers and alternate beverages like seltzers. What happened to Bud Light was unique and specific and there is a reason for it no matter how badly some people want to whitewash it.
Texmid
AG
The people I work for own a bar here in Smithville. Last night we hosted a Chamber of Commerce mixer. There were probably 50 to 60 people and each one was given three tickets, each ticket good for a free drink. Not one single Bud Light was "sold".
i-miss-the-republic
Bud CEO forgot to apologize and fire the marketing exc. Again.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/bud-light-maker-ceo-tells-customers-we-hear-you-doesnt-apologize-sales-tank
Tramp96
But Light CEO: "We hear you"

Market:

Prosperdick
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

"It's my fault. I'm that one that hired the people who confused a job of selling you great beer with the right to virtue signal and preach to you what they thought American values ought to be. Even worse, I was far too slow in realizing what was happening - I wasn't listening to you.

But I'm listening now and I have learned a lot. It will never happen again. We've made a lot of changes and All I'm asking is got the chance to re-earn your trust and the right to sell you beer again.

As a start to earning that trust - I'd like to begin by offering a 50% rebate for the rest of summer. We are also going to donate 10% of sales to veteran support organizations because we are thankful for the America they protect.

Respectfully, AB"
There is no right answer at this point as they are past the point of no return. Even if they took your advice it would fall on deaf ears. They're not winning anyone back. They need to pivot to a new brand, the old one is lost and damaged irreparably.

All money spent on marketing going forward is wasted and should be spent developing and promoting a new brand.
FTAG 2000
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

And the CEO is still full of ****. That is such a weak ass statement and he and his leadership refuses to acknowledge that it was himself that screwed up. It wasn't the customers fault, it was the C-suite team's fault.

What do you expect?

He crafted that statement with representatives from Vanguard, Blackrock, and Smith Street standing behind him at his desk, holding guns to his head.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Respectfully, AB"

Weak as hell! There is no right answer, never buy it again!
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think every business is probably 1-2 steps removed from something like this. Next to impossible to disconnect completely without isolating yourself.
Stat Monitor Repairman
FTAG 2000 said:

TexasAggiesWin said:

What do you expect?

He crafted that statement with representatives from Vanguard, Blackrock, and Smith Street standing behind him at his desk, holding guns to his head.

Reminiscent of the weird press conference from Las Vegas shooting.
PA24
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Respectfully, AB"
The right answer is to continue to short their stock all the way to the ground. AB is the new Enron as far as their future.

Done.
FrioAg 00
AG
You guys are probably right - the time to fire, take ownership of the mistake, admit it was virtue signaling and appeal to consumers as having reversed course was months ago.

I just don't see what else they can try at this point. I think consumers will see right through rebranding too.

agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

What do you expect?

"I'll make him an offer that he can't refuse. Either his brains or his signature will be on the contract."

- Don Corleone
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
First Page Last Page
Page 70 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.