Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

458,738 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
ArbAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Prosperdick said:

Tramp96 said:

I admit...I forgot about the commercial. I buy Gillette w/o even thinking about it. But they have the best razor out there by a country mile.

AB is a different situation. I think the BL brand is way, way more damaged and reputationally tainted than Gillette ever was. Plus, there is absolutely nothing special about BL. It's not like it's hands down the best light beer on the market. It was just well-marketed.

Gillette can make the claim it is the best razer you can walk into a grocery store and buy.
Agree that there has never been anything special about BL but where I disagree is that they were ONLY well-marketed.

I would say before the DM fiasco they were one of the best marketed products ever...from the Clydesdales to the frogs to the WASSUP!! all the way to Dilly Dilly they had one of the most ingenious marketing teams ever assembled for a VERY long run.

That's what makes this whole situation so ironic.

Don't forget Real Men of Genius! One of the greatest marketing campaigns of all time? I think BL is crappy beer and it gives me a headache but damn if those weren't some great and hilarious commercials.

It takes years to build a reputation but only one ugly event to destroy one!
Ag with kids
AG

Prosperdick
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

Fantastic article here on Bud Light's demise, including a story involving the Houston Astros.

Paints the picture that BL moved from American icon to doghouse status in just a few years due to the "woke" disease, and nobody in AB leadership was astute enough to see it coming -- or understand it correctly afterwards -- because they're all infected with the same disease.

https://assets.realclear.com/files/2023/05/2181_bud_lights_irreparable_mark_eting_blunder.pdf
That was a long read but worth the time. I especially loved this part where the author lays out the steps to repair the damage:
Quote:

Make a very public apology, saying that the campaign was a horrific mistake, that the company has
cleaned house, and that it would be taking immediate steps to win back customer trust and loyalty.
Admit publicly that it was a terrible idea to put the interests of "woke" CEI scores from narrowminded, malignant special interest groups ahead of its loyal customers. Promise customers and the
public that it will never make the same mistake again. The message should be that toxic special
interest groups don't pay our salaries. Our loyal customers do.
They'll never do that but it's why we all collectively want Bud Light to fail spectacularly. This country is doomed if we allow these toxic special interest groups to run everything into the ground. The AB fiasco needs to be a very loud cautionary tale to other companies. Perhaps if enough of them fail they'll learn their lesson. Or not.
ProgN
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12115225/Anheuser-Busch-earnings-slide-26-amid-boycott-Dylan-Mulvaney-tie-JPMorgan-warns.html
Quote:

Anheuser-Busch earnings will decline 26 percent in the US this year after Bud Light alienated swathes of its customers through a tie-up with trans influencer Dylan Mulvaney, JPMorgan analysts have predicted.

'We believe there is a subset of American consumers who will not drink a Bud Light for the foreseeable future,' the analysts said on Tuesday.

JPMorgan's note said the expected decline in earnings, before interest and tax, will follow a 12 percent drop in volume and a 10 percent decline in sales.

The warning from experts at the world's largest bank highlights the magnitude of the backlash over Bud Light's decision to give Mulvaney, 26, a can with a picture of her face on it.

Quote:

JPMorgan's assessment cited some of the latest sales figure for the beer, which in the week to May 6 were down 23.6% on a 27.7% drop in volume.

Furthermore, the bank's analysts don't expect sales to return to normal in 2024.

Quote:

The brand is also losing sales because it's so easy for customers to find alternatives.

'In the beer world, there are thousands of other options readily available at similar price points,' Anson Frericks, a former Anheuser-Busch executive, told ABC News. 'Every grocery store and bar usually has the other options'.

Bud Light now plans a branding revamp and will also overhaul its advertising to focus on the all-American themes of football and country music.

For the wizards of smart that said this boycott wouldn't do damage and dem allies would make up the slack, I give you JPM respectfully disagreeing with that opinion.

This is huge because the cancer is spreading to other AB products and shows no signs of waning. If that analyst is remotely correct and AB misses out on football season, then AB's current financial pain is merely a flesh wound. Missing football season buyers, will make them Sir William Wallace being disemboweled in Braveheart.

Let's keep it up gang.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

JPMorgan's assessment cited some of the latest sales figure for the beer, which in the week to May 6 were down 23.6% on a 27.7% drop in volume.

Furthermore, the bank's analysts don't expect sales to return to normal in 2024.

LOL

Define normal. Sorry, JP, your woke buddies likely are looking at their new normal.
Tramp96
Prosperdick said:

Quote:

Make a very public apology, saying that the campaign was a horrific mistake, that the company has
cleaned house, and that it would be taking immediate steps to win back customer trust and loyalty.
Admit publicly that it was a terrible idea to put the interests of "woke" CEI scores from narrowminded, malignant special interest groups ahead of its loyal customers. Promise customers and the
public that it will never make the same mistake again. The message should be that toxic special
They'll never do that but it's why we all collectively want Bud Light to fail spectacularly. This country is doomed if we allow these toxic special interest groups to run everything into the ground. The AB fiasco needs to be a very loud cautionary tale to other companies. Perhaps if enough of them fail they'll learn their lesson. Or not.

Just look at this week's capitulation by the LA Dodgers to the trans nun Catholic hate group. These organizations are so deathly afraid of offending the most radical segments, no matter how minute or small they are in numbers, over offending their larger customer bases.

It makes no sense at all.
FTAG 2000
AG
aggielostinETX said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

I have a buddy high up in a craft brewery owned by ABI. Even their sales have tanked because retailers have stopped or scaled back orders of ABI products across the product offerings. Unfortunately, that means a lot of good local guys are being hit hard for the actions of some east coast liberals.

Acceptable collateral damage in my book. Those "good local guys" can call up HQ and give them an earful. Sure there were some advantages to selling a portion of your operation to a big multi-national conglomeration. Well you take the bad with the good.
That's a sh_tty viewpoint. I think the (legitimate) point has been made against BudLight, the rogue executive who setup the branding campaign, the share holders, etc. BudLight is now a toxic brand by their own doing and will continue to be, if/until collective memories fade. No apology will get them out of this.

But I don't see the reason for cheering on what amounts to the further destruction of the jobs of Texas MAGA-voting IPA can line workers.

The US CEO could fix this in an instant if he wanted to. But they have too much hubris at this point to let it go. They can't continue to blame it on a single person anymore.

It's not even hubris.

He hopped on the Vanguard, BlackRock, Smith Street train. Those are the people he answers to, and the ones he fears.

Prosperdick
AG
Quote:

The warning from experts at the world's largest bank highlights the magnitude of the backlash over Bud Light's decision to give Mulvaney, 26, a can with a picture of her face on it.
ProgN
Tramp96 said:

Prosperdick said:

Quote:

Just look at this week's capitulation by the LA Dodgers to the trans nun Catholic hate group. These organizations are so deathly afraid of offending the most radical segments, no matter how minute or small they are in numbers, over offending their larger customer bases.

It makes no sense at all.
That's pretty much human nature. I'd guess that 90% of people abhor confrontation and will just go along to get along with things to avoid it, the mask compliance by the masses confirmed this. Thank the good Lord I was not born with that affliction. I never wore a mask because it was tard flair and was useless and never told others that they shouldn't wear them, just minded my own business. I never instigated it, but I did get a hell of a rush loudly crushing the few that felt compelled to try and shame me in public for not wearing them. It ended horribly for every single one that tried. That's the only thing I miss about the mask mandates.
will25u
LOL. Not making either side happy.

https://www.greenwichtime.com/living/article/lgbtq-group-suspends-bud-light-maker-s-rating-18109400.php

Quote:

The Human Rights Campaign informed the Bud Light maker that it suspended the company's 2022 Corporate Equality Index score a tool that measures corporate policies, practices and benefits related to the well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees on May 9, according to a letter shared with the The Associated Press on Friday.

The suspension of Anheuser-Busch's CEI score means that the company "no longer has the right to use the 'Best Places to Work' distinction," HRC's letter says. Prior to the suspension, Anheuser-Busch had a CEI score of 100, the group's top rating.

"What we're seeing play out here is an example of companies making a decision to have and construct inclusive marketing, which is great but a business should be standing by those decisions," Eric Bloem, HRC's senior director of programs and corporate advocacy, told The Associated Press. "The Anheuser-Busch (case) is a textbook example of what not to do."
Logos Stick
Lol

I know it's a long shot, but I'd like to see them go completely under.
Showertime at the Bidens
will25u said:

LOL. Not making either side happy.

https://www.greenwichtime.com/living/article/lgbtq-group-suspends-bud-light-maker-s-rating-18109400.php

Quote:

The Human Rights Campaign informed the Bud Light maker that it suspended the company's 2022 Corporate Equality Index score a tool that measures corporate policies, practices and benefits related to the well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees on May 9, according to a letter shared with the The Associated Press on Friday.

The suspension of Anheuser-Busch's CEI score means that the company "no longer has the right to use the 'Best Places to Work' distinction," HRC's letter says. Prior to the suspension, Anheuser-Busch had a CEI score of 100, the group's top rating.

"What we're seeing play out here is an example of companies making a decision to have and construct inclusive marketing, which is great but a business should be standing by those decisions," Eric Bloem, HRC's senior director of programs and corporate advocacy, told The Associated Press. "The Anheuser-Busch (case) is a textbook example of what not to do."

But one side drank BL, the other side didn't.

CDUB98
AG
All you have to do around progressives is breath and they get angry.
EclipseAg
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

Fantastic article here on Bud Light's demise, including a story involving the Houston Astros.

Paints the picture that BL moved from American icon to doghouse status in just a few years due to the "woke" disease, and nobody in AB leadership was astute enough to see it coming -- or understand it correctly afterwards -- because they're all infected with the same disease.

https://assets.realclear.com/files/2023/05/2181_bud_lights_irreparable_mark_eting_blunder.pdf
Wow ... that guy knocked it out of the park AND saved the beer. Great overview.

I still believe there are people inside of these companies who don't buy in to the woke hive mind but are terrified of taking a stand. That's why the AB situation is so important; it can help inject a little courage into the backbones of senior leaders.

CDUB98
AG
Quote:

I still believe there are people inside of these companies who don't buy in to the woke hive mind but are terrified of taking a stand.

Me

However, my company is B2B, not B2C. I need to pay the bills, so I've got to just keep my head down and work.
Albatross Necklace
How is Bud Light sales only down 25%?

I haven't seen anyone or buy Bud Light since April, but 75% of customer are still buying it?
CDUB98
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

That's up for debate. Until proven otherwise, those are the numbers published. All our anecdotes around show would say anywhere from 70-90%.

We don't know what all is happening around the country or what kind of contract fulfillments are required that make the number, fuzzy.

I'm not really sure we can trust the numbers fully until the office SEC Q2/3/4 numbers come out.
Tramp96
Albatross Necklace said:

I haven't seen anyone or buy Bud Light since April, but 75% of customer are still buying it?
I postulated in a previous post that I think existing contracts to stadiums, sporting events, special event centers, caterers, etc. is somewhat masking the more-than-likely bigger hit to sales coming from the individual consumers.

Serious Lee
its a bullwhip effect. and the numbers are probably not being accurately reported.
Urban Ag
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

jr15aggie said:

I have no idea how they are going to fix this anytime soon. It only took one terrible piece of marketing to turn Bud Light into Zima.

"Nobody" wants to be the guy with a cooler full of Bud Light at their BBQ.
This. After seeing it fully stocked at several places, I have instinctively thought about buying or bringing to gatherings as a gag gift a time or two...like when my buddy asked me to bring some beer to the golf course a few wknds ago...but then remembered that would require me actually giving AB money, and I refuse to ever do that again.
There's great opportunity here for fun. I mentioned on another thread I was in a prank war with a fellow Ag for a couple of years. Was in another prank war with a couple of guys at work back in the 2000's. I went in an "adult" store in Austin and bought several dildos. Over the course on the next couple of months I strategically placed them. Two of them in the passenger side doors on their trucks while at lunch (he was obviously driving). The other in one of the guy's lunch boxes. I can assure you, hilarity ensues when the wife stumbles across this.

I think I'll start doing that with bud light. The random placement of this product will be a hoot.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Prosperdick said:

MemphisAg1 said:

That was a long read but worth the time. I especially loved this part where the author lays out the steps to repair the damage:
Quote:

Not even Caroline Butler and Schooner Tuna could save BL now. Every golf tournament, sport gathering, and regular event where drinks are served to men will result in overwhelming ridicule if a BL is ordered and you don't even have to know the other dude to pile on. Completely toxic.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
ABATTBQ11
AG
CDUB98 said:

Albatross Necklace said:

That's up for debate. Until proven otherwise, those are the numbers published. All our anecdotes around show would say anywhere from 70-90%.

We don't know what all is happening around the country or what kind of contract fulfillments are required that make the number, fuzzy.

I'm not really sure we can trust the numbers fully until the office SEC Q2/3/4 numbers come out.

The oft quoted numbers are usually (when I see them explained) for off premise sales (retailers) based on scan data, so basically retailers are ringing up 25% less bud light than this week last year. The assumption is likely that bars are seeing the same decline. There are probably many places, like the NE and West Coast where people simply don't care but none of these anecdotes don't come from.

There are probably sales contracts and other things fluffing the number, but I highly doubt it is anything close to a 70-90% loss.
Urban Ag
AG
In case anyone is interested, I bought a 12 pack of Yuengling Flight this weekend. I really don't drink much beer anymore but heard it was good. It was genuinely pretty good, for light beer.
Prosperdick
AG
Prosperdick said:

Quote:

Further to my disdain for this news outlet giving into the woke ideology. Here's a thought, simply don't list the gender, just say "a can with Mulvaney's face on it." They can't help themselves.
Tailgate88
AG
Urban Ag said:

In case anyone is interested, I bought a 12 pack of Yuengling Flight this weekend. I really don't drink much beer anymore but heard it was good. It was genuinely pretty good, for light beer.

I love it, but apparently I'm not the only one because our H-E-B can't keep it on the shelves. If you want any you better be there early in the morning.

Plenty of Budweiser products available though.
Urban Ag
AG
I went Sunday morning for groceries (at HEB) and it was stacked up. I didn't even know you could buy alcohol after 10 now on Sundays. Learned two new things. Winner winner.
Daddy-O5
AG
Urban Ag said:

Very much the same, not a big drinker anymore but mentioned this earlier as well, would have never tried it if my neighbor hadn't bought some to replace his MU. I've never been a fan of super light beers I'm pretty sold for the occasional afternoon of drinking beer.
Prosperdick
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

CDUB98 said:

Albatross Necklace said:

The oft quoted numbers are usually (when I see them explained) for off premise sales (retailers) based on scan data, so basically retailers are ringing up 25% less bud light than this week last year. The assumption is likely that bars are seeing the same decline. There are probably many places, like the NE and West Coast where people simply don't care but none of these anecdotes don't come from.

There are probably sales contracts and other things fluffing the number, but I highly doubt it is anything close to a 70-90% loss.
I've already played this game on this thread. Do you truly believe retailers are ringing up 75 cases of BL instead of 100 cases each week? I'm obviously using the 100 cases because the math is easy but there's no way in hell they have only a 25% drop unless they're playing games with numbers (which yes, I know you acknowledged).

I bet you when the REAL numbers are finally released it will be much closer to 70% than 25%.
Independence H-D
WHAT IF?

Elon buys AB.....
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Target and Bud Light will never get another dime...well any company promoting grooming or trans as a good thing for society will never get another dime.
An L of an Ag
AG
Ran by the liquor store on the way back from lunch. I walked in just as the delivery guy was hauling in several cases of Bud Light, Michelob Light on a dolly. The owner was right there at the counter and I asked him if they're moving any of this stuff, indicating the Bud Light. He replies "Very little .", and proceeds to get in an argument with the delivery guy about "tell so and so to quit ordering this ****"!

And I got the last Buffalo Trace on the shelf. Got to say it was a good day.
Prosperdick
AG
An L of an Ag said:

Ran by the liquor store on the way back from lunch. I walked in just as the delivery guy was hauling in several cases of Bud Light, Michelob Light on a dolly. The owner was right there at the counter and I asked him if they're moving any of this stuff, indicating the Bud Light. He replies "Very little .", and proceeds to get in an argument with the delivery guy about "tell so and so to quit ordering this ****"!

And I got the last Buffalo Trace on the shelf. Got to say it was a good day.
I'm sure distributors are dumping whatever BL product they have to any and all locations that don't explicitly tell them to stop...I can't imagine the backlog they are sitting on with this type of screeching halt to demand.
Aston04
AG
Prosperdick said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

CDUB98 said:

Albatross Necklace said:

I've already played this game on this thread. Do you truly believe retailers are ringing up 75 cases of BL instead of 100 cases each week? I'm obviously using the 100 cases because the math is easy but there's no way in hell they have only a 25% drop unless they're playing games with numbers (which yes, I know you acknowledged).

I bet you when the REAL numbers are finally released it will be much closer to 70% than 25%.
I have no doubt the 25% number by InBev are phony. They will play whatever games they can pumping sales. so it looks like the boycotts are having less impact/give it less momentum..
ProgN
https://nypost.com/2023/05/19/trans-model-linux-posts-video-drinking-bud-light/
Quote:

A trans influencer who was once locked up on Rikers Island touted she loves "to pregame with an ice cold Bud Light" sparking another round of backlash on the heels of the brand's Dylan Mulvaney fiasco.

Linux a transgender woman who previously made headlines when she landed in Rikers Island's mens prison after being wrongly incarcerated for an undisclosed alleged crime in Miami posted the video on April 21.

Although apparently not a paid spokesperson like Dylan Mulvaney, Linux took it upon herself to advocate for the Anheuser-Busch-made beer with the hashtag #budlightpartner on Instagram and TikTok, where she boasts 84,000 and 17,100 followers, respectively.

"So it's Friday night, I'm getting ready to go out … but before I go out, I gotta pregame. And the only way I pregame is with an ice cold Bud Light," she says in the 22-second clip while cracking open a tallboy of the beer.
Quote:

The video has since been shared on Twitter, catching the attention of nearly 2 million users, who were swift to say Bud Light's "title as gay beer has been solidified" after being endorsed by both Linux and Mulvaney.

"I guess Bud Light finally got the new consumer base they have been marketing towards," another user tweeted.

Quote:

"This is Bud Light's new target customer base. If their marketing efforts were to try and attract a new group of folks to A/B [Anheuser-Busch], congrats! You successfully got the .05% of the population that identifies this way… only problem is you pissed off the other 75% that you used to have," another Twitter user declared.
Quote:

"Yayzzzz! The conservatives have their panties in a bunch!!! They can't handle it!" commented trans woman Love Bailey.

"The rednecks are shaking!!" another wrote.

Anheuser-Busch did not respond to The Post's request for comment.
Not shaking cupcake, not buying, but definitely not shaking.

Oh goodness, just picture the look on the faces of the execs and distributor owners if they see this thing.

This dude thinks he's rubbing our noses in our boycott ****, but he has no f'ing clue how much he will reopen the wound of those that might have ever been considering giving them another chance.

This dude has done more damage to BL than he can comprehend. No **** AB didn't respond to the request for comment.
agent-maroon
AG
Did that trans person wince a little bit at the taste of the BL or was it just my imagination?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
First Page Last Page
Page 48 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.