Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

458,743 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

I have a buddy high up in a craft brewery owned by ABI. Even their sales have tanked because retailers have stopped or scaled back orders of ABI products across the product offerings. Unfortunately, that means a lot of good local guys are being hit hard for the actions of some east coast liberals.
Well your buddy at Karbach better get on the internal horn about the corporate BS and tell them to fire every woke person in leadership.

If this becomes a lesson in InBev's bones about don't touch wokeism it'll stave off reinfection when the next group of idiot executives pop up.
AGC
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

I have a buddy high up in a craft brewery owned by ABI. Even their sales have tanked because retailers have stopped or scaled back orders of ABI products across the product offerings. Unfortunately, that means a lot of good local guys are being hit hard for the actions of some east coast liberals.

Acceptable collateral damage in my book. Those "good local guys" can call up HQ and give them an earful. Sure there were some advantages to selling a portion of your operation to a big multi-national conglomeration. Well you take the bad with the good.
That's a sh_tty viewpoint. I think the (legitimate) point has been made against BudLight, the rogue executive who setup the branding campaign, the share holders, etc. BudLight is now a toxic brand by their own doing and will continue to be, if/until collective memories fade. No apology will get them out of this.

But I don't see the reason for cheering on what amounts to the further destruction of the jobs of Texas MAGA-voting IPA can line workers.

Rogue executive?

Edit: I've been to bschool. There was nothing rogue about that exec until it cost them.
aezmvp
one MEEN Ag said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Well your buddy at Karbach better get on the internal horn about the corporate BS and tell them to fire every woke person in leadership.

If this becomes a lesson in InBev's bones about don't touch wokeism it'll stave off reinfection when the next group of idiot executives pop up.
Appalachian bought their brand back b/c of all this. I really do feel bad for local distributors and their employees but lets get real, distributors are in a lot of cases like car dealers they had an in and with the good, comes the bad.
Kenneth_2003
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Acceptable collateral damage in my book. Those "good local guys" can call up HQ and give them an earful. Sure there were some advantages to selling a portion of your operation to a big multi-national conglomeration. Well you take the bad with the good.
That's a sh_tty viewpoint. I think the (legitimate) point has been made against BudLight, the rogue executive who setup the branding campaign, the share holders, etc. BudLight is now a toxic brand by their own doing and will continue to be, if/until collective memories fade. No apology will get them out of this.

But I don't see the reason for cheering on what amounts to the further destruction of the jobs of Texas MAGA-voting IPA can line workers.

I never said I was cheering for it. You're reading too much into it. I said it's acceptable collateral damage.

Small brewers had their reasons for selling in while or past to larger companies like AB. I'm sure they're eye advantages and perks in doing so. Well, with the good sometimes comes the bad. That's life.

The consequences of how they chose to run their small brewery are not my problem nor my concern. Their beef is with their corporate management, not their customers.

Same with that Gump distributor berating the customers. Wrong audience there Gump. Needs to point that fire the other direction.
Stat Monitor Repairman
https://instagr.am/p/Cro9BqWp19Z
aggielostinETX
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

The US CEO could fix this in an instant if he wanted to. But they have too much hubris at this point to let it go. They can't continue to blame it on a single person anymore.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
jr15aggie
AG
I have no idea how they are going to fix this anytime soon. It only took one terrible piece of marketing to turn Bud Light into Zima.

"Nobody" wants to be the guy with a cooler full of Bud Light at their BBQ.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Quote:

The US CEO could fix this in an instant if he wanted to. But they have too much hubris at this point to let it go. They can't continue to blame it on a single person anymore.
No, it can't be fixed. BudLight successfully rebranded itself into something its customer base no longer wants. It's an image thing as much as anything else. Frat boys, anglo blue collar workers, mexican day laborers, rodeos, country music festivals, etc. aren't going to want to be seen drinking/serving BudLight. No amount of apologies is going to change the branding.
ABATTBQ11
AG
aggielostinETX said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

No, it can't be changed in an instant. The original decision put them between a rock and hard place. No matter what direction they went in after that, they were going to piss off a lot of people. Not taking a harder stance with DM has cost them even more customers from the left, so try to imagine the backlash if they did what it would take to get their core customers back. As soon as those cans were printed they were ****ed.
aggielostinETX
AG
We'll disagree bc a hat in hand apology, with admitting fault and commitment to there old customers would good a long way.

But the woke dude wasn't drinking Bud Light anyway.

Anecdote from lunch at popular Mexican restaurant chain in Dallas. I know the owner is extremely anti-woke.

This is the beer fridge.

“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
BG Knocc Out
jr15aggie said:

I have no idea how they are going to fix this anytime soon. It only took one terrible piece of marketing to turn Bud Light into Zima.

"Nobody" wants to be the guy with a cooler full of Bud Light at their BBQ.
This. After seeing it fully stocked at several places, I have instinctively thought about buying or bringing to gatherings as a gag gift a time or two...like when my buddy asked me to bring some beer to the golf course a few wknds ago...but then remembered that would require me actually giving AB money, and I refuse to ever do that again.
Skillet Shot
Mexican restaurant sells Mexican beer?
Tramp96
Skillet Shot said:

Mexican restaurant sells Mexican beer?
Miller lite and Coors Light are Mexican beers?
Ags4DaWin
bonfarr
AG

Quote:

Quote:
The videos you may have seen are Mulvaney's own social media posts that went viral and many web-based news outlets have distorted the story. You deserve to know the truth, and life is too short to let a couple of individuals decide what you can eat or drink or spend your hard-earned money on.

Of course the videos were posts made by Mulvaney, he is a social media influencer and that's what they do. They can't partner with him and then distance themselves from his posts because that's why they signed on with him in the first place. Bud Light wanted access to his millions of followers and the only way to do that is to have him post to his SM.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
carl spacklers hat
Ags4DaWin said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

When you sell out to a multinational conglomerate you lose control over some things. Now they are suffering the negative effects of selling control of your brand/product.

They took a risk. It bit them in the ass. Hard to feel sorry for them as they weren't complaining when the association made them lots of money. You want to control your destiny don't sell out. Sometimes it works in ur favor. Sometimes u get screwed. It's a risk.

That's business.
It's that simple.
Agreed. Any microbrewer who took the AB-InBev payoff gets no sympathy. They took the money so they get to take the rest of what comes with going corporate. Don't like it? Don't sell out to the highest bidder.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
falconace
P.H. Dexippus said:

Retailers haven't stopped or scaled back orders of all AB products just because someone said reduce all AB orders at corporate. It is because folks are intentionally not purchasing these AB owned beers when they figure out that they are owned by AB because people want to hold AB accountable for their actions.

The great thing about this is besides ruining the BL brand, consumers are able to easily figure out via the internet (or other bar patrons will tell them upon ordering) that the beer they just ordered is owned by AB. It isn't to the same level of toxicity as BL (no one wants to be seen drinking one) but folks are actively seeking alternative products and don't want to give AB their money.

I have been a Karbach fan since they started getting distributed in Houston. While I will finish the remaining Karbach beers in my fridge, I won't buy more as long as the're owned by AB.

Edit: fixed a spelling issue
deddog
AG
AB learnt nothing from Gillette.
When you're selling an overpriced, ****ty, commodity, try not to piss of your most loyal consumers.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I still think Gillette's biggest market headwind was/is beards. When I used a Mach 3, I bought blades in a multi-pack usually 10 (I think) at a time. I probably could have changed blades more frequently but 1 blade a week, a10 pack is a 2.5 month supply. I think that gave a lot of folks time to forget that commercial
Tramp96
I admit...I forgot about the commercial. I buy Gillette w/o even thinking about it. But they have the best razor out there by a country mile.

AB is a different situation. I think the BL brand is way, way more damaged and reputationally tainted than Gillette ever was. Plus, there is absolutely nothing special about BL. It's not like it's hands down the best light beer on the market. It was just well-marketed.

Gillette can make the claim it is the best razer you can walk into a grocery store and buy.
deddog
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

I still think Gillette's biggest market headwind was/is beards. When I used a Mach 3, I bought blades in a multi-pack usually 10 (I think) at a time. I probably could have changed blades more frequently but 1 blade a week, a10 pack is a 2.5 month supply. I think that gave a lot of folks time to forget that commercial
Yes, that's what they claim as well. Gillette never admitted publicly that they ****ed up.

They ran that commercial at a time they were facing new competition (Harry's, Dollar Shave Club). A good marketing team would have said, that it was the worse possible time to lecture their customers with a risky ad, But their Marketing team was trying to get on Hillary's good side, and keeping up with the men bashing culture.
Just like Bud Light.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

I admit...I forgot about the commercial. I buy Gillette w/o even thinking about it. But they have the best razor out there by a country mile.
This is where I'm at with Gillette. I've tried others. They are simply not as good on my ugly ass face.
deddog
AG
Tramp96 said:

AB is a different situation. I think the BL brand is way, way more damaged and reputationally tainted than Gillette ever was. Plus, there is absolutely nothing special about BL. It's not like it's hands down the best light beer on the market. It was just well-marketed.

Gillette can make the claim it is the best razer you can walk into a grocery store and buy.
Blades should be a commodity and they are not. Gillette still got screwed.
Light beer shouldn't be a commodity but it is. It's why BL as a brand is definitely screwed.
aggiepanic95
AG
After the Gillette deal I switched to these https://dorcousa.com/ (DORCO Pace 6 Sport System - Six Blade Razor System with Trimmer and Pivoting Head) and they work great. They sell them on Amazon.
Prosperdick
AG
Tramp96 said:

Agree that there has never been anything special about BL but where I disagree is that they were ONLY well-marketed.

I would say before the DM fiasco they were one of the best marketed products ever...from the Clydesdales to the frogs to the WASSUP!! all the way to Dilly Dilly they had one of the most ingenious marketing teams ever assembled for a VERY long run.

That's what makes this whole situation so ironic.
Tailgate88
AG
Prosperdick said:

Tramp96 said:

Agree that there has never been anything special about BL but where I disagree is that they were ONLY well-marketed.

I would say before the DM fiasco they were one of the best marketed products ever...from the Clydesdales to the frogs to the WASSUP!! all the way to Dilly Dilly they had one of the most ingenious marketing teams ever assembled for a VERY long run.

That's what makes this whole situation so ironic.

Don't forget Real Men of Genius! One of the greatest marketing campaigns of all time? I think BL is crappy beer and it gives me a headache but damn if those weren't some great and hilarious commercials.
Tramp96
So I guess I should have said, "Extremely well-marketed."

Those were hall-of-fame ad campaigns. Much like the Miller Lite ads in the late 70's and early 80's. As my dad would say whenever those came on, "That crappy beer has the best advertising I've ever seen."
EclipseAg
AG
The other interesting aspect of this is that BL's sales were dipping mostly due to the growth in craft beer and hard seltzers. But it was still the No. 1 selling beer in most markets and nationwide. Bud Light wasn't collapsing; it just needed to be shored up a little.

So Alissa Heinerscheid didn't need to blow up the brand; she just needed to get back to the basics with some clever campaigns to reinvigorate the core buyer. But that's boring ... and who cares about blue-collar customers any way? They don't go to the best parties in NYC or even have degrees from Wharton.
Prosperdick
AG
Tramp96 said:

So I guess I should have said, "Extremely well-marketed."

Those were hall-of-fame ad campaigns. Much like the Miller Lite ads in the late 70's and early 80's. As my dad would say whenever those came on, "That crappy beer has the best advertising I've ever seen."
It's why GOOD marketing execs are so valuable and why a bad one can absolutely sink your product....
BillYeoman
This is also one of the greatest marketing campaigns ever. But I have a feeling people would freak out due to "toxic masculinity."

aggiehawg
AG
Not like Miller Lite made any advertising use of this photo, for good reason.

When Texas state Dems fled to DC over the election integrity bill. They just run away to deny a quorum.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Was at two different parties this weekend with two very different crowds. One was all farmers and ranchers at a massive crawfish boil, the other was a pool party for a kids baseball team with blue collar workers of different races. Not a single AB product other than 2 Modelos at either one of them. The crawfish boil was open bar and the host stocked all the Yuengling Flight he could find and then had Dos and Coor's to supplement. One of the guys was a former distributor salesman for AB in the region and all he could do was shake his head and said he felt real sorry for his friends and he can't imagine trying to do their job right now. Then he said I won't touch it ever again
TX_COWDOC
AG
Same. I was a Gillette user since junior high. Actually had the same sensor handle for 2 decades as best as I can tell. Tossed it the day the woke campaign aired. Dorco 6 blade works great.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
MemphisAg1
AG
Fantastic article here on Bud Light's demise, including a story involving the Houston Astros.

Paints the picture that BL moved from American icon to doghouse status in just a few years due to the "woke" disease, and nobody in AB leadership was astute enough to see it coming -- or understand it correctly afterwards -- because they're all infected with the same disease.

https://assets.realclear.com/files/2023/05/2181_bud_lights_irreparable_mark_eting_blunder.pdf
nortex97
AG
EclipseAg said:

The other interesting aspect of this is that BL's sales were dipping mostly due to the growth in craft beer and hard seltzers. But it was still the No. 1 selling beer in most markets and nationwide. Bud Light wasn't collapsing; it just needed to be shored up a little.

So Alissa Heinerscheid didn't need to blow up the brand; she just needed to get back to the basics with some clever campaigns to reinvigorate the core buyer. But that's boring ... and who cares about blue-collar customers any way? They don't go to the best parties in NYC or even have degrees from Wharton.
Correct. Note again for posterity here she was such an elitist her wedding announcement (in La Jolla, of course) was in the NYT. That is tier 1 American leftist wasp snobbery stuff.

Quote:

The story begins with a wedding announcement in the New York Times on May 6, 2011.

It read, "Alissa Mary Gordon and Henry Charles Heinerscheid were married Saturday evening at St. James by-the-Sea Episcopal Church in La Jolla, Calif. The Rev. John H. Finley IV, an Episcopal priest, performed the ceremony, with the Rev. Eleanor Ellsworth, also an Episcopal priest, taking part.

"The bride, 27, and the bridegroom, 28, met at Harvard, from which they both graduated cum laude. In August, they will each begin studying for an M.B.A. at the University of Pennsylvania."

Now I have many readers who are very accomplished in their various pursuits in life. I doubt any of them had a wedding announcement in the New York Times. A few of them may land a New York Times obituary someday, but none likely achieved the coveted New York Times wedding announcement. For that you have to be born into wealth and social position or marry into it.

The article in the post immediately above this one here is great too, about BL's situation. LOL, again.
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.