Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

455,828 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
akm91 said:

BUD stock prices reflect revenue are global across multiple brands so using their overall stock price doesn't make sense since the diaster is localized to the US market.

• North America makes up 28% of revenue
  • Central America makes up 25% of revenue
  • South America makes up 21% of revenue

I guess it's even worse than I thought since the US marketing isn't even 1/3 of their revenue
It's certainly interesting. Looks like they'll announce Q1 later this week on the 4th.
They're getting hammered relative to the broader Index and certainly to the competition, but they're still only slightly off their 52wk high. They did post phenomenal 2022 Q4 numbers though, so there could be some lingering tail winds there.

So is the recent stagnation just the market taking a wait and see approach? Markets are certainly forward looking so when bad news strikes it's often already priced in. Would love to dial into that call or at least listen to it later in the evening on the 4th.
CDUB98
AG
Q1 wont' reflect the results of this debacle, but it will be interesting to read their forward guidance.
The Banned
agracer said:

Was at a dinner and then live music/dancing even this weekend.

20 People at dinner, not a single bud light drink ordered (lots of Miller Lite, Coors, Michelob).

At the live music event, 200-people in attendance. No bud light at a single table.

I wonder if this boycott will die like so many others or if it's permanent?

It's not really a boycott. It's now a branding issue. Some people are taking a moral stand against it but most people just don't want to get called a ****** for drinking BL
jja79
AG
If people aren't buying it you would assume places like BW3 that have it on tap will remove it.

My consumption of Bud Light hasn't changed at all. I spit one out about 20-25 years ago and haven't had another.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

It's not really a boycott. It's now a branding issue.
deddog
AG
agracer said:

20 People at dinner, not a single bud light drink ordered (lots of Miller Lite, Coors, Michelob).

At the live music event, 200-people in attendance. No bud light at a single table.

It won't die because it's an easy one.
Bud light is a bad beer, and was the default.
No one wants to be ridiculed while drinking beer. So Bud Light as a brand is screwed.
AB as a company will be fine - they are the market leader and have a lot of good beers.

The only way they can rescue themselves, imo, is by making some serious fun of their poor decision making.
Tanya 93
agracer said:

Michelob is AB
carl spacklers hat
I'll agree with you on the product - all the American lite beers (BL, ML, CL) are pretty tasteless. Which means each is interchangeable for the other, as far as drinkability is concerned. Where ML and CL stand to gain market share is in the fact their marketing departments haven't waded into a political sh_tstorm of their own making. The irony of it for BL is that this marketing genius took the identity of the beer, it being a party, "fratty" beer, and crapped on it. BL and InBev own all of the blowback and lost market share due to their terrible decisions and I'm here to cheer on the dumpster fire.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
ConstructionAg01
AG
TREX01 said:

Had our church picnic yesterday. I worked the beer stand from 2-5:30, we sold over 1100 beers in that time frame, I sold 12 bud lights. We ran out of Lone Star Light and Shiner Light before anything else. I checked with the beer booth chair today and the only beer left at the end of the night was Bud Light.
That is some impressive fellowship! What denomination?
Stat Monitor Repairman
The Banned said:

agracer said:

It's not really a boycott. It's now a branding issue. Some people are taking a moral stand against it but most people just don't want to get called a ****** for drinking BL
You right. It not about one thing. Bud light managed to **** themselves coming and going. Painted into a corner.
Nanomachines son
aggiehawg said:

Hogties said:

Schlitz and New Coke were the previous business cases for self inflicted wounds on iconic brands. Those were production and product changes that actually resulted in a different product that loyal customers rejected. Coke recovered, Schlitz never did. Looks like Bud Light may go the way of Schlitz more than a recovery like Coke. It will be very interesting seeing this play out over the next few months.

Ridicule is a powerful negative motivator. Amazing how "fratty" Bub Light is now worse than Zima as a "masculine" brand.
Yeah, a complete rebrand is needed. Drop the name Bud Light entirely, make the same product but give it another name, can design, color, etc. Spin off a new company that does not have AB name.

That won't really work. Unlike 40 years ago, people can quickly figure out who owns what. InBev cannot hide that they own the beer and that's a big problem for them. This has significantly affected all InBev beers.
Tramp96
ConstructionAg01 said:

TREX01 said:

Had our church picnic yesterday. I worked the beer stand from 2-5:30, we sold over 1100 beers in that time frame, I sold 12 bud lights. We ran out of Lone Star Light and Shiner Light before anything else. I checked with the beer booth chair today and the only beer left at the end of the night was Bud Light.
I'm going to venture a guess that it is either Lutheran Church Missouri Synod or Roman Catholic.

Tramp96
Tanya 93 said:

agracer said:

Michelob is AB
Remember real Michelob? Not this Ultra crap of today, but the Michelob in the gold-label bottle?

That was a damn fine beer. Miss it. Even the old Michelob Light was good stuff.
jja79
AG
Not church of Christ.
jja79
AG
Dang straight. Old school Michelob was money.
javajaws
AG
deddog said:

agracer said:

No one wants to be ridiculed while drinking beer. So Bud Light as a brand is screwed.
AB as a company will be fine - they are the market leader and have a lot of good beers.

The only way they can rescue themselves, imo, is by making some serious fun of their poor decision making.
Agree with this. A little self-deprecating humor via some WELL done marking (unlike their previous attempt(s) to make amends) is probably their only hope. And even then we're talking a 3-6 month sales recovery time at best. Will people come back though? Or will they be content with their new replacement drink(s) of choice?
TexAg1987
Tramp96
They bring back that beer and all is forgiven.
ChipFTAC01
AG
jja79 said:

Dang straight. Old school Michelob was money.

Michelob was fantastic. And the best bottle in the industry.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

Quote:

deddog said:

Agree with this. A little self-deprecating humor via some WELL done marking (unlike their previous attempt(s) to make amends) is probably their only hope. And even then we're talking a 3-6 month sales recovery time at best. Will people come back though? Or will they be content with their new replacement drink(s) of choice?
The woke mob won't let them get away with that. They're screwed no matter what at this point.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
They still make it
https://www.totalwine.com/beer/lager/americanstyle-lager/michelob/p/34127?s=&igrules=true
Tramp96
P.H. Dexippus said:

They still make it
https://www.totalwine.com/beer/lager/americanstyle-lager/michelob/p/34127?s=&igrules=true
But they don't sell it in Texas apparently.
Furious
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

TREX01 said:

I remember at my Catholic church growing up our parish picnic had carnival games. One of the more popular games was 6-pack poker - gambling to win alcohol
Tanya 93
Tramp96 said:

Tanya 93 said:

agracer said:

Michelob is AB
Remember real Michelob? Not this Ultra crap of today, but the Michelob in the gold-label bottle?

I liked Michelob dark
YouBet
AG
Tramp96 said:

Tanya 93 said:

agracer said:

Michelob is AB

Yeah, I remember the first time I drank it and wondering why I wasn't drinking that instead of whatever light piss I was drinking at the time. I assume it was a financial decision.

I recall it being really good for a non-craft beer era American beer.
Stat Monitor Repairman

Had that gold top. Agreed, Michelob was solid.
JCA1
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Tramp96 said:

Tanya 93 said:

agracer said:

Michelob is AB

I liked Michelob dark
Michelob Classic Dark was awesome. Had a buddy at A&M with that on tap in his keg fridge at all times.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I liked Michelob dark
Oooh! Hadn't thought about that beer in years. Liked it too.

I got an education in beer drinking and exploring foreign beers when I was in law school. Not always a lot to do in Lubbock back then except drive out to the strip to buy foreign beers and different types, stouts, ales, pilsners, porters, lagers, etc..
Stat Monitor Repairman

Always been a fan of lowenbrau but InBev owns them too.

Sold in Europe and Asia but not much in the US anymore. They got it at Specs though.
munch96
AG
angus55
Tramp96 said:

ConstructionAg01 said:

TREX01 said:

I'm going to venture a guess that it is either Lutheran Church Missouri Synod or Roman Catholic.

Sounds Baptist
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
BassCowboy33
DargelSkout said:

New Coke was not the same as Coke Zero. They are two different drinks. New Coke was not a diet drink.

I think he's just correlating bad marketing campaigns.
ProgN
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12034527/Bud-Light-owners-hired-ex-GOP-staffers-lobbyists-DAY-Dylan-Mulvaney-partnership.html
Quote:

President of AAF, a conservative opposition research group, Tom Jones slammed Origin in the letter, accusing them of 'making the rounds on the Hill trying to red-wash Bud Light's disastrous decision to partner with a man pretending to be a woman and tell you the company really does respect conservative values.'

He accused the lobbyists of 'making the shamefully offensive equivalency argument that their transgender activist beer can is just like their beer can honoring WWII vets'.

He added: 'If partnering with a trans activist wasn't shameful enough, equating Dylan Mulvaney to a World War II hero is really beyond the pale.

'If Bud Light wants to regain the trust of conservative customers, they should apologize for insulting their values by embracing the woke left's radical gender agenda instead of wasting their money on lobbyists.

'Bud Light sided with the Left against the average American and no amount of D.C. lobbyists in fancy suits will make them forget that.'

According to the New York Post, the company has promised 'there will be an improved screening process before any marketing hits the public.'
No **** Sherlock

Quote:

Last week sales of Bud Light had risen slightly, with the company seeing just a 6.7 percent dip in sales, with both their rivals seeing a huge increase of 18 percent.

Bud Light is the largest beer brand in the US, but their decision to work with Mulvaney has seriously affected the company.

During the NCAA basketball tournament from March 18 to April 1, it was the clear leader of all Light beers, up 15 percent, according to Brewbound.

But following the Mulvaney campaign it trailed other beers by at least six percent in bars and restaurants.

Between April 2 and April 15, Beer Board says that their overall volume of sales at bars and restaurants dropped by 34.7 percent.

Bud Light has now declined into the fourth spot of the most popular draft beer during the second week of the controversy losing out to Coors Light.
Quote:

VP of marketing Alissa Heinerscheid had been hired to overhaul Bud Light's marketing in June 2022 with the idea of freshening up its image.

agsalaska
AG
CDUB98 said:

TexAg1987 said:

Beer Business Daily reported Sunday that Bud LIght's off-premise sales volume (the amount of beer sold outside of restaurants and bars) was down 26.1% from a year earlier in the week ended April 22, based on scan data. Volumes were down 21.1% in the prior week, while so far this year, Bud Light volumes are down 8%.

The figures include sales at grocery stores, convenience stores, and liquor stores.

Bud Light Sales Fall 26% as Transgender Backlash Worsens (msn.com)
By the way people talk, you'd think it was down around 75%, not 26.
If it wasn't for TexAgs I wouldn't even know about it.

I am sure it has been all over the tabloids but I try not to read them much and would absolutely skip any headline that had a beer and a trans weirdo in it.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Kenneth_2003
AG
agsalaska said:

CDUB98 said:

TexAg1987 said:

Beer Business Daily reported Sunday that Bud LIght's off-premise sales volume (the amount of beer sold outside of restaurants and bars) was down 26.1% from a year earlier in the week ended April 22, based on scan data. Volumes were down 21.1% in the prior week, while so far this year, Bud Light volumes are down 8%.

The figures include sales at grocery stores, convenience stores, and liquor stores.

Bud Light Sales Fall 26% as Transgender Backlash Worsens (msn.com)
By the way people talk, you'd think it was down around 75%, not 26.
If it wasn't for TexAgs I wouldn't even know about it.

I am sure it has been all over the tabloids but I try not to read them much and would absolutely skip any headline that had a beer and a trans weirdo in it.

Neither of my parents drink or use any form of social media and they BOTH knew about this.

My friend, you have got one fine rock you're apparently living under!
First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.