Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

455,693 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Down in the comments.

aggiez03
AG
Bubblez said:

it was all staged

Congrats, The first thing I have ever agreed with you on...
aTm2004
AG
Bubblez said:

it was all staged

Mr Mojo Risin
AG
Bubblez said:

it was all staged

Quoting and noting that this is likely the first and last time I will ever agree with Bubblez.

That video has about a 99.9% chance of being a set-up.
America was built on speed, hot, nasty, badass speed.
Uncle Howdy
S
Bubblez said:

it was all staged
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Bubblez said:

it was all staged

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Jack Squat 83
AG
I hope the DEI marketing gal went into the witness protection program cause a whole lot of people are going to lose a bunch of money. Yikes.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
aggiez03
AG
Jack Squat 83 said:

I hope the DEI marketing gal went into the witness protection program cause a whole lot of people are going to lose a bunch of money. Yikes.
Wouldn't it be pretty funny if she actually was a plant / paid by some investment company that SHORTED the stock right before this commercial went live?

Would be like an evil genius thing to do...
Science Denier
AG
Zarathustra said:

aTm2004 said:

Zarathustra said:

For those keeping score at home:

AB stock
Today + 0.2%
Week + 1.6%
Month + 4.6%
Year + 10.74%
5 Year - 36.45%

I'm sure the middle management and hourly folks who probably won't get a bonus this year give a rats ass about their stock growth over the past 5 years.

lol wut?
For actual relevant market performance,

According to my quick search on google, April 1,is the date when that dingleberry, Dylan Mulvaney, posted a video on HIS Instagram account to promote a Bud Light March Madness contest to HIS 1.8 million followers.

BUD
3/31 - 66.73 close
4/28 - 64.97 close
-2.6%, one month x 12 = -31.6% annualized

S&P
3/31 - 4109.31 close
4/28 - 4169.4 close
+1.5% one month x 12 = +17.5%

delta = 49.1%
LOL OLD
American Hardwood
AG
Hogties said:

Schlitz and New Coke were the previous business cases for self inflicted wounds on iconic brands. Those were production and product changes that actually resulted in a different product that loyal customers rejected. Coke recovered, Schlitz never did. Looks like Bud Light may go the way of Schlitz more than a recovery like Coke. It will be very interesting seeing this play out over the next few months.

Ridicule is a powerful negative motivator. Amazing how "fratty" Bub Light is now worse than Zima as a "masculine" brand.
I picked up a 6 of Schlitz longnecks last week. It has been a while since I had any and was reminded how good it was for a typical American macro brew.
akm91
AG
Again, Bud Light is only one brand under BUD. Trying to use the stock for the corporation to downplay the impact of their marketing disaster is intellectually dishonest
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
The Fife
aggiez03 said:

Jack Squat 83 said:

Wouldn't it be pretty funny if she actually was a plant / paid by some investment company that SHORTED the stock right before this commercial went live?

Would be like an evil genius thing to do...
Real men of evil genius....
American Hardwood
AG
nortex97 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

nortex97 said:

Yeah and you can assume if a pallet is sitting out in the middle of Costco at $15/ea., Costco is taking at least 4 or 5 bucks of that. They are 100 percent dumping inventory unless that is somehow faked.
A price ending in .97 at Costco means they are clearancing out a non-stock item, usually at a loss. Looks like they're no longer going to carry Bud Light.
You may certainly be right, but they've always carried all 3 for as far as I can remember (haven't been in a costco in around 8 years though). My theory would just be that this is a clearance price, but by doing it at a 'members' only retailer like this they (InBev) can avoid dumping inventory that would otherwise have to be discounted equally to all distribution channels/grocery stores etc.

InBev deals in massive quantities for canned goods/distribution/ag inputs. If they do wind up cutting down on production rates over the next quarter…word will get out. The 'big 3' light beer brands have been in a pricing 'equilibrium' for over 20 years; I doubt they want to get into a big price war in the midst of bidenflation to sustain volumes/share.
It seems that Lone Star has been discounting a bit over the last week or two from my observation. I'm sure others have too. If I was a brewery in that marketplace, I would absolutely discount my product to keep my new-found customers from returning to Bud Light, at least for a short while. I would not want to lose those that switched just because bud is having a fire sale. Keep your foot on their throat until they've been buried.
deddog
AG
Bubblez said:

it was all staged
Sharp, clearly nothing escapes you
1836er
AG
Stopped at my local grocer to pick up some Yuengling Flight and it was all sold out.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Science Denier said:

Zarathustra said:

aTm2004 said:

Zarathustra said:

For those keeping score at home:

AB stock
Today + 0.2%
Week + 1.6%
Month + 4.6%
Year + 10.74%
5 Year - 36.45%

I'm sure the middle management and hourly folks who probably won't get a bonus this year give a rats ass about their stock growth over the past 5 years.

lol wut?
For actual relevant market performance,

According to my quick search on google, April 1,is the date when that dingleberry, Dylan Mulvaney, posted a video on HIS Instagram account to promote a Bud Light March Madness contest to HIS 1.8 million followers.

BUD
3/31 - 66.73 close
4/28 - 64.97 close
-2.6%, one month x 12 = -31.6% annualized

S&P
3/31 - 4109.31 close
4/28 - 4169.4 close
+1.5% one month x 12 = +17.5%

delta = 49.1%
TAP
3/31 - 51.68 close
4/28 - 59.48 close
+15% one month
Kenneth_2003
AG
akm91 said:

Again, Bud Light is only one brand under BUD. Trying to use the stock for the corporation to downplay the impact of their marketing disaster is intellectually dishonest
It's the flagship brand under the name

So how would you classify the companies underperformance relative to the market as a whole and their disastrous performance to their closest publicly traded competition?

I mean Miller Lite and Coors Light are just single products under the broader MolsonCoors umbrella (TAP).
ProgN
1836er said:

Stopped at my local grocer to pick up some Yuengling Flight and it was all sold out.
Same in my area as well. I switched to Flight and it's really good so I'm never going back to Ultra.

I'd love to see the jump in sales that Yuengling has experienced since BL decided to slam their dicks in a door.
milner79
American Hardwood said:

I picked up a 6 of Schlitz longnecks last week. It has been a while since I had any and was reminded how good it was for a typical American macro brew.

I'm out of the loop ... and Schlitz used to be my go-to beer in high school. What got them in trouble?

"Man, I haven't had a Schlitz beer since elementary school." Robert Earl Keen
TexAg1987
Beer Business Daily reported Sunday that Bud LIght's off-premise sales volume (the amount of beer sold outside of restaurants and bars) was down 26.1% from a year earlier in the week ended April 22, based on scan data. Volumes were down 21.1% in the prior week, while so far this year, Bud Light volumes are down 8%.

The figures include sales at grocery stores, convenience stores, and liquor stores.

Bud Light Sales Fall 26% as Transgender Backlash Worsens (msn.com)
BassCowboy33
Hogties said:

Schlitz and New Coke were the previous business cases for self inflicted wounds on iconic brands. Those were production and product changes that actually resulted in a different product that loyal customers rejected. Coke recovered, Schlitz never did. Looks like Bud Light may go the way of Schlitz more than a recovery like Coke. It will be very interesting seeing this play out over the next few months.

Ridicule is a powerful negative motivator. Amazing how "fratty" Bub Light is now worse than Zima as a "masculine" brand.

New Coke is a fascinating marketing case. The drink scored off the charts in testing and focus groups. So, rather than just changing the flavor (like numerous drinks have done) or creating a new drink, they labeled it "New Coke", the worst thing they could possibly do. People didn't even care it tasted better than the original.
Science Denier
AG
akm91 said:

Not sure how a 49% underperformance in comparison to the S&P downplays anything. That about perfectly reflects the disaster.

The stock is getting pummeled. That's not downplaying anything.
LOL OLD
nortex97
AG
American Hardwood said:

nortex97 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

nortex97 said:

Yeah and you can assume if a pallet is sitting out in the middle of Costco at $15/ea., Costco is taking at least 4 or 5 bucks of that. They are 100 percent dumping inventory unless that is somehow faked.
A price ending in .97 at Costco means they are clearancing out a non-stock item, usually at a loss. Looks like they're no longer going to carry Bud Light.
You may certainly be right, but they've always carried all 3 for as far as I can remember (haven't been in a costco in around 8 years though). My theory would just be that this is a clearance price, but by doing it at a 'members' only retailer like this they (InBev) can avoid dumping inventory that would otherwise have to be discounted equally to all distribution channels/grocery stores etc.

InBev deals in massive quantities for canned goods/distribution/ag inputs. If they do wind up cutting down on production rates over the next quarter…word will get out. The 'big 3' light beer brands have been in a pricing 'equilibrium' for over 20 years; I doubt they want to get into a big price war in the midst of bidenflation to sustain volumes/share.
It seems that Lone Star has been discounting a bit over the last week or two from my observation. I'm sure others have too. If I was a brewery in that marketplace, I would absolutely discount my product to keep my new-found customers from returning to Bud Light, at least for a short while. I would not want to lose those that switched just because bud is having a fire sale. Keep your foot on their throat until they've been buried.
There is a very small 'crossover' of consumers from Lone Star to Bud Light, IYKWIS.
CDUB98
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Beer Business Daily reported Sunday that Bud LIght's off-premise sales volume (the amount of beer sold outside of restaurants and bars) was down 26.1% from a year earlier in the week ended April 22, based on scan data. Volumes were down 21.1% in the prior week, while so far this year, Bud Light volumes are down 8%.

The figures include sales at grocery stores, convenience stores, and liquor stores.

Bud Light Sales Fall 26% as Transgender Backlash Worsens (msn.com)
By the way people talk, you'd think it was down around 75%, not 26.
carl spacklers hat
aggiehawg said:

Hogties said:

Yeah, a complete rebrand is needed. Drop the name Bud Light entirely, make the same product but give it another name, can design, color, etc. Spin off a new company that does not have AB name.
I get it but how do you get past the crappy product? Bud Lite is a product that is 100% driven by marketing and, as has been noted, is entirely replaceable with zero negative impact on the consumer. I can see this playing out where BL never regains the lost market share and just middles along as a 3rd-rate beer while AB redirects the BL marketing dollars into other, non-controversial brands.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Science Denier
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Hogties said:

New Coke is a fascinating marketing case. The drink scored off the charts in testing and focus groups. So, rather than just changing the flavor (like numerous drinks have done) or creating a new drink, they labeled it "New Coke", the worst thing they could possibly do. People didn't even care it tasted better than the original.
I remember when the first Coke Zero came out. It was the 1999 Alamo Bowl when I was exposed to it. From the River Walk, there was a path that almost everyone took to the bowl game. Just before getting to the stadium, Coke had a display where they were handing out free coke zeros in small cans. The concrete path was lined with big blue barrels.

As people would take a can, they would take a sip, spit it out and throw the mostly full cans into the barrels. 70,000 99% full cans filled up every blue barrel there was, and there were not nearly enough of those barrels. And, there was alot of coke zero on the sidewalks. It was a huge mess.

I thought, that's a way to get thousands of people hating Coke Zero.

I actually like Coke Zero sugar today, but that first one was nasty.
LOL OLD
agracer
AG
Was at a dinner and then live music/dancing even this weekend.

20 People at dinner, not a single bud light drink ordered (lots of Miller Lite, Coors, Michelob).

At the live music event, 200-people in attendance. No bud light at a single table.

I wonder if this boycott will die like so many others or if it's permanent?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I get it but how do you get past the crappy product?
From AB's perspective, the reasoning is that people bought it before, they'll buy it again under a different name.

Will that work in the short term? IDK. A year from now? Better odds.

Or they can tinker with the formula and adjust the taste a bit. Market it more as a craft beer, perhaps? Not in the industry so not familiar with how hard or easy it is to mess with recipes and then ramp up production.
carl spacklers hat
Jack Squat 83 said:

She was offered tenure at Harvard, Yale and Stanford.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
akm91
AG
BUD stock prices reflect revenue are global across multiple brands so using their overall stock price doesn't make sense since the diaster is localized to the US market.

• North America makes up 28% of revenue
  • Central America makes up 25% of revenue
  • South America makes up 21% of revenue

I guess it's even worse than I thought since the US marketing isn't even 1/3 of their revenue
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
HoustonAg2106
AG
agracer said:

Was at a dinner and then live music/dancing even this weekend.

20 People at dinner, not a single bud light drink ordered (lots of Miller Lite, Coors, Michelob).

At the live music event, 200-people in attendance. No bud light at a single table.

I wonder if this boycott will die like so many others or if it's permanent?

Tell them to stop drinking Michelob too
AgCMT
AG
Was at a wedding in East Texas this past weekend. Bud Light was the running joke of the wedding. Along the lines of "He looks like a Bud Light drinker..." That's a generational stigma that would be hard to shake.

It will be interesting to see the marketing wizardry that is used to try to repair the damage. Staged? Why would you stage the opportunity to lose billions in revenue? I don't see the long term gain.
TREX01
Had our church picnic yesterday. I worked the beer stand from 2-5:30, we sold over 1100 beers in that time frame, I sold 12 bud lights. We ran out of Lone Star Light and Shiner Light before anything else. I checked with the beer booth chair today and the only beer left at the end of the night was Bud Light.
DargelSkout
AG
New Coke was not the same as Coke Zero. They are two different drinks. New Coke was not a diet drink.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Quote:

I get it but how do you get past the crappy product?
Don't take this the wrong way. I don't want it to come across harshly, it's not meant to.

You have to check your opinion of the product at the door. BL is one of three national and a few other regional flavors in the Light American style Lager category. It's not a bock. It's not an ale. It's not a trendy IPA. It's a lager. There's a good chance that many would say that BL, like most other lagers are not particularly flavorful.

What it is... It's an easy drinking beer that is extremely non-filling. BL, along with all of the others in the category, aim to be easy drinking and non-filling. By design, it's a party beer. It's a drink it all day long beer. Marketing folks can talk moderation all day long till they're blue in the face, but they want you to buy a brick of the stuff and chug it, shotgun it, empty one and crack another.

There's a reason so-called "good beers" are often sold no bigger than six packs and often as singles. BL and it's peers tallboy singles, 24oz singles (yeah they know those are roadies), 12, 18, 24, 30 packs. Yeah, it's a "fratty" party beer.

It's consumers aren't drinking it for the taste. They're drinking it to party, to cut loose, to get drunk.
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.