Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

455,700 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
MemphisAg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

MemphisAg1 said:

Flying Crowbar said:

MemphisAg1 said:

Flying Crowbar said:

It would not surprise me at all if the conversation inside the C-suite goes along the lines of, "We were right, it's just that the country is full of bigots who aren't ready for the message."
Lol, I've spent plenty of time in the C-suite in the last 15 years and it's probably more like "what the **** were you thinking? Do you know how much this is costing us and our shareholders?"

We'll see. If they double down on their stance, you are right. If they pull back, then it's a sign that smarter heads prevail. Just so stupid. And of course it was driven by their focus on "inclusivity."
I hope you are correct, but I read about so many dumb decisions like this by various companies that it makes me wonder. You could see the reaction from BL's customer base coming from a mile away, and yet someone still gave the campaign the green light.
Unfortunately it's an indication the C-Suite is so drunk on their DEI garbage that they believe the rest of the world embraces it. The business manager for BL was a woman who quoted it was all about inclusivity. Sounded good to them in the moment, but reality can be a harsh wake up call.

One thing the C-Suite responds quickly to is money. Many of them would rearrange their values if it meant a higher stock price. Anything can be rationalized, which is how they got here in the first place.

Frankly, I'm enjoying the pushback on woke-ism even if it means I just gave up a favorite beer. I'll take that trade... there are many more beers out there.

I'll play Devils Advocate a bit here as someone who has also spent plenty of time in the C-Suite and upper levels of management. AB released a statement a few days ago that said senior leadership (minus the Marketing VP) were not aware of this campaign.

That could absolutely be the case. Most people don't realize how completely out of touch the C-Suite can be with anyone or anything below their immediate direct reports. Even if they are getting that information passed up to them in status reports or some form of recurring status meeting a lot of that stuff is going in one ear and out the other. There is so much information to absorb and process at that level that this could easily have gotten lost in the noise or there was some other larger fire to put out or whatever.

Im not saying this is what happened but it EASILY could have. Ive seen stuff like this happen more times than I count. That being said I won't be drinking AB products, granted I don't drink them anyway so Im already ahead.
Sure, that could easily happen. But the point remains the C-suite sets the tone, priorities, and overall culture such that a mid/senior manager could run with something like this and believe they're totally aligned with C-suite expectations.
Opalka
AG
Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

Amazing how companies are willing to erode share-holder value in order to virtue signal. Executives should be removed for failure to uphold fiduciary duty.
The female CMO that approved the campaign said Budweiser had been in decline for years. She said its brand was too Fratty.

Guess what... she just ended the Frat-Daddy brand.

So your sales are in decline so you decide to throw the drowning man an anchor...brilliant!
just astoundingly stupid. Sales are in decline, you want to engage a younger demographic....so you choose to associate yourself with 1% (or less of the population)?!?!? There's no other way to generate interest from 21-30 year-olds? Really?
Sadly, she is truly shocked that her beliefs are not the beliefs of 75% of America.
No, she knows it and she's not shocked. AB is thinking "why not include EVERYONE". Why does it have to always be "either/or"? It was just an Instagram, not a full blown campaign or a commercial on national TV. Talk about "snowflakes"! So a national beer should only include groups that fit your own demographic?....that's ridiculous. All groups drink beer.
Incidentally, AB's stock was up almost 6% last month, but sales fell less than 4% this past week after the "outrage" that a trans person drinks Bud Light too. Looks like a stock buying opportunity to me, while I SMDH.
Sea Speed
AG
I actually never saw him drink any in his videos, he just held it while acting like an idiot
American Hardwood
AG
Opalka said:

Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

Amazing how companies are willing to erode share-holder value in order to virtue signal. Executives should be removed for failure to uphold fiduciary duty.
The female CMO that approved the campaign said Budweiser had been in decline for years. She said its brand was too Fratty.

So your sales are in decline so you decide to throw the drowning man an anchor...brilliant!
just astoundingly stupid. Sales are in decline, you want to engage a younger demographic....so you choose to associate yourself with 1% (or less of the population)?!?!? There's no other way to generate interest from 21-30 year-olds? Really?
Sadly, she is truly shocked that her beliefs are not the beliefs of 75% of America.
No, she knows it and she's not shocked. AB is thinking "why not include EVERYONE". Why does it have to always be "either/or"? It was just an Instagram, not a full blown campaign or a commercial on national TV. Talk about "snowflakes"! So a national beer should only include groups that fit your own demographic?....that's ridiculous. All groups drink beer.
Incidentally, AB's stock was up almost 6% last month, but sales fell less than 4% this past week after the "outrage" that a trans person drinks Bud Light too. Looks like a stock buying opportunity to me, while I SMDH.
An ad campaign targeting a very tiny fraction of the beef drinking population, so small in fact that it is statistically a non-factor tells you that this campaign was not about increasing beer sales. The fact that people rejecting BL understand that and you don't is telling.
jrdaustin
AG
Opalka said:

Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

Go ahead and make yourself a big purchase, sport.

I think I'll pass on that particular stock tip.
ArbAg
AG
Opalka said:

Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

It might be a long while (if ever) to recapture most of us former Bud Light drinkers. Buying stock now might be a very risky bet…
techno-ag
AG
Opalka said:

Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

Let me explain advertising to you. It's designed to make you want to buy a product by stoking positive emotions in you through associations with what you see in the ad and the product being pitched.

The vast majority of beer drinkers do not associate positive feelings with a trans activist. Quite the opposite. And that is why this affiliate marketing effort backfired.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Dad-O-Lot
AG
Being "inclusive" doesn't require that you highlight the fringes at the expense of the middle.

A campaign that would have worked better would have been to include Dylan in some sort of montage ad with lumberjacks, truck drivers, athletes, dancers, mailmen, etc.... to highlight that "our product is for everyone".

A simple ad would be to start with a backyard bbq and have someone pass a bud light from one person to another, then pass another one to someone else, but then transition that someone else to a different venue with different people. Continue in that vein for a few people and if you wnat to include some obviously lgbt people in that montage, then do so.

That would show the "inclusivity" they are looking for without the in your face mental illness that Dylan Mulvaney presents.
astros4545
AG
Opalka said:

Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

Sales fell 4% last week?

How does corporate have any idea how sales are impacted at Joe Bobs bar and HEB in real time

Those numbers mean nothing
YouBet
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

YouBet said:

MemphisAg1 said:

Flying Crowbar said:

MemphisAg1 said:

Flying Crowbar said:

It would not surprise me at all if the conversation inside the C-suite goes along the lines of, "We were right, it's just that the country is full of bigots who aren't ready for the message."
Lol, I've spent plenty of time in the C-suite in the last 15 years and it's probably more like "what the **** were you thinking? Do you know how much this is costing us and our shareholders?"

We'll see. If they double down on their stance, you are right. If they pull back, then it's a sign that smarter heads prevail. Just so stupid. And of course it was driven by their focus on "inclusivity."
I hope you are correct, but I read about so many dumb decisions like this by various companies that it makes me wonder. You could see the reaction from BL's customer base coming from a mile away, and yet someone still gave the campaign the green light.
Unfortunately it's an indication the C-Suite is so drunk on their DEI garbage that they believe the rest of the world embraces it. The business manager for BL was a woman who quoted it was all about inclusivity. Sounded good to them in the moment, but reality can be a harsh wake up call.

One thing the C-Suite responds quickly to is money. Many of them would rearrange their values if it meant a higher stock price. Anything can be rationalized, which is how they got here in the first place.

Frankly, I'm enjoying the pushback on woke-ism even if it means I just gave up a favorite beer. I'll take that trade... there are many more beers out there.

I'll play Devils Advocate a bit here as someone who has also spent plenty of time in the C-Suite and upper levels of management. AB released a statement a few days ago that said senior leadership (minus the Marketing VP) were not aware of this campaign.

That could absolutely be the case. Most people don't realize how completely out of touch the C-Suite can be with anyone or anything below their immediate direct reports. Even if they are getting that information passed up to them in status reports or some form of recurring status meeting a lot of that stuff is going in one ear and out the other. There is so much information to absorb and process at that level that this could easily have gotten lost in the noise or there was some other larger fire to put out or whatever.

Im not saying this is what happened but it EASILY could have. Ive seen stuff like this happen more times than I count. That being said I won't be drinking AB products, granted I don't drink them anyway so Im already ahead.
Sure, that could easily happen. But the point remains the C-suite sets the tone, priorities, and overall culture such that a mid/senior manager could run with something like this and believe they're totally aligned with C-suite expectations.
Generally agree but I've seen people go rogue and do some stupid **** before.

However, I would side with you and say the tone for DEI here has been set which means this person felt or was enabled to go do this.
Dan Scott
AG
Trump Jr. says to knock off the boycott and the company is conservative leaning
Rapier108
Dan Scott said:

So? People, other than the Trump cult, don't do something simply because Trump or one of his kids says to.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
DTP02
AG
Dan Scott said:

Guess we know who AB's latest paid influencer is.

The "boycott" is a shot across the bow to all of corporate America. AB just happens to have chosen the wrong message at exactly the wrong time and is facing the backlash of a fed-up populace.

This needs to hurt to the point that it impacts the cultural conversation and corporate America's force feeding of DEI/ESG down the throats of the average citizen.
agent-maroon
AG
Opalka said:

Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

Anecdotal observations (including my own) are that bud light sales are down FAR more than 4%. More the inverse as in down 96% (or more TBH). But it's your money to lose so make that play if you really believe. Better and certainly safer play would be to invest in the brewing companies that market the potential replacement beers of choice.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
Old_Ag_91 said:

Well said. And to your post i would like to add

Dont buy these beers unless youre ok with the A-B agenda:

All crap beer owned by AB:
Budweiser
Michelob
Rolling Rock
Busch
Shock Top
Natural
Johnny Appleseed
LandShark Lager
Better beer owned by AB added to the boycott:
Karbach (no exception for Rodeo Clown)
Goose Island
Blue Point
10 Barrel
Golden Road Brewing
Four Peaks
Elysian Brewing
Devils Backbone Brewing
Breckinridge Brewing
Wicked Weed Brewing
There are several more owned by the same company that owns Anheuser-Busch. That includes Corona and Guinness!

They supposedly own or control 250 brands of beer in the world, but some of those may be water (including Perrier and Nestle brand bottled water).
The Banned
Opalka said:

Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

Pro-tip: your product will never appeal to everyone. Play to your base and try to recruit the outer edges of it. Don't piss off your base by contradicting the brand.
aggie93
AG
Bad move by Trump Jr here and shows he doesn't understand how the culture war works. You press them to do your bidding and then you press them some more. Don't stop until they double their donations to conservative causes. That's how the Left does it and so should we. Screw this surrendering because they gave us some money in the past crap.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Ellis Wyatt
Dan Scott said:

OK? I don't make any decisions based on what a celebrity says. **** AB.
Urban Ag
AG
astros4545 said:

Opalka said:

Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

Sales fell 4% last week?

How does corporate have any idea how sales are impacted at Joe Bobs bar and HEB in real time

Those numbers mean nothing
Once the beer leaves the brewery it's "sold" as far as AB or any other brewer is concerned. You're right the numbers mean nothing. When the distributors start informing the breweries to not send the trucks is when the real numbers show up. And considering the shelf life of beer, it won't be long to see the real impact.
Old_Ag_91
AG
Good call
ntxVol
agent-maroon said:

Opalka said:

Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

Anecdotal observations (including my own) are that bud light sales are down FAR more than 4%. More the inverse as in down 96% (or more TBH). But it's your money to lose so make that play if you really believe. Better and certainly safer play would be to invest in the brewing companies that market the potential replacement beers of choice.
I concur, AB sales have fallen off a cliff.
Irish 2.0
Opalka said:

Aggie95 said:

Prosperdick said:

DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

Market cap dropped by 4%. Not sales. Anecdotally, if sales drops are anything like initially believed by distributors based on consumption and orders, expect a 7.5%+ drop in sales. You don't want to know what that will do to an established company's Market Cap.
Showertime at the Bidens

It's not just about politics. Normalizing this is dangerous.

Urban Ag
AG
Was just in HEB by Lake Georgetown. Miller Lite was wiped out. Coors Light had a few 12 packs left. That's it. Lone Star seemed to be close to bare as well. BL, Ultra, Natty, Busch, all looked untouched.

For what it's worth.
BenFiasco14
AG
Was this not posted? AB CEO released a statement called "Our Responsibility to America"

Source from AB: https://www.anheuser-busch.com/newsroom/our-responsibility-to-america

NY Post article calling it "an apology flatter than a day-old Bud Light" https://nypost.com/2023/04/14/anheuser-busch-exec-offers-flat-apology-following-bud-lights-dylan-mulvaney-backlash/

Quote:

As the CEO of a company founded in America's heartland more than 165 years ago, I am responsible for ensuring every consumer feels proud of the beer we brew.

We're honored to be part of the fabric of this country. Anheuser-Busch employs more than 18,000 people and our independent distributors employ an additional 47,000 valued colleagues. We have thousands of partners, millions of fans and a proud history supporting our communities, military, first responders, sports fans and hard-working Americans everywhere.

We never intended to be part of a discussion that divides people. We are in the business of bringing people together over a beer.

My time serving this country taught me the importance of accountability and the values upon which America was founded: freedom, hard work and respect for one another. As CEO of Anheuser-Busch, I am focused on building and protecting our remarkable history and heritage.

I care deeply about this country, this company, our brands and our partners. I spend much of my time traveling across America, listening to and learning from our customers, distributors and others.

Moving forward, I will continue to work tirelessly to bring great beers to consumers across our nation.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Sea Speed
AG
There's a whole other thread on it
agent-maroon
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3373241

Come over and join the party. Just don't bring any AB products
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BenFiasco14
AG
Oh my b. I was only following one bud light thread
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Jack Squat 83
AG
I'm old and don't care so I'll say it.

This prancing fairy who is splattered all over every f-in website or media represents in one freaky package the latest greatest culture war the left is waging on normal Americans who want themselves and especially their kids left the hell alone.

Bud light decided we needed more of it.

Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
BonfireNerd04
I would join the boycott, except that I've already not been buying Bud Light because I don't like its taste. Maybe if Shiner or Guinness goes woke, it would affect my life.
deddog
AG
Kashchei said:

At the AAC for a Stars game. Took forever to find a non InBev/AB beer, but finally found some Tupps.

Go Stars! Now only if they had some playoff games on the weekend!

I remember when I used to drink Bud Ice simply because of the hockey commercials. My how times have changed
deddog
AG
agent-maroon said:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3373241

Come over and join the party. Just don't bring any AB products
johnnyblaze36
AG
Did my part at Reed Arena tonight and bought Dos Equis. Please tell me that doesn't fall under AB as well.
Ernest Tucker
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Did my part at Reed Arena tonight and bought Dos Equis. Please tell me that doesn't fall under AB as well.

I heard Dos Equis was being rebranded as XY
eric76
AG
BonfireNerd04 said:

I would join the boycott, except that I've already not been buying Bud Light because I don't like its taste. Maybe if Shiner or Guinness goes woke, it would affect my life.
The very woke company that owns Anheuser-Busch also owns Guinness.
First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.