Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

455,353 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
American Hardwood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What? No love for Black Label? I'm convinced my high school buddies and I were solely responsible for seeing Black Label stocked at HEB. Once we left for college, they stopped carrying it. Can't be a coincidence. Our old motto was, "Black Label, because it's cheaper than water." which it actually was compared to the kinds of bottled water available at the time.
AnScAggie
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Sea Speed said:

Pearl bottles that had to be 31 degrees. Collect all the caps to solve the puzzles.

Bro that's a lone star cap

I thought Pearl or Pearl light had them also. Could have been drain bamage from drinking ****ty beer while a poor student. But I did search for Pearl caps.
Pearl made them first, Lonestar (Pabst) added them after they bought Pearl in the 80's, and the brewery closed in the '00s.
AgDad121619
AG
Red Pear Felipe said:

An L of an Ag said:

Back in college days, the cheap beer hierarchy was pretty much:

1) Keystone
2) Milwaukee's Best

3) Natty

4) Schaefer

Edit to include Natty

My dad used to drink The Beast.
Schaefer was a steal back in the day. Loved that stuff
Tailgate88
AG
YouBet said:

For some reason I recall Keystone tasting different (better) than other light beers because they used a different can lining?

This also may be a beer fever dream from 30 years ago.
I may be wrong but I think the "Specially Lined Cans" had... lines on the outside of the can. It was an inside joke.
YouBet
AG
Tailgate88 said:

YouBet said:

For some reason I recall Keystone tasting different (better) than other light beers because they used a different can lining?

I may be wrong but I think the "Specially Lined Cans" had... lines on the outside of the can. It was an inside joke.

Lol. My brother worked for Coors right out of college. I recall asking him about Keystone and he told me they basically took left over Coors flavors and combined it to make Keystone.

Straight out the Simpsons. I just assume he was joking but you never know at this point.
dahouse
AG
Roommate Junior year, his dad worked for AB. He said Natty was what they bottled/canned when the QC of the tanks fell below acceptable levels for Bud/BL/etc. So, your case of Natty could be Budweiser, it's just crappy Budweiser.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
AgDad121619 said:

Red Pear Felipe said:

An L of an Ag said:

1) Keystone
2) Milwaukee's Best

3) Natty

4) Schaefer

Edit to include Natty

My dad did Schaffer light. His beer fridge was stocked but we were always worried he had them stacked so perfect that he was keeping track and as kids we were afraid of being busted stealing a couple.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Ag98inTexas
AG
Tailgate88 said:

YouBet said:

"Bottled beer taste in a can" was Keystone's tagline when it launched (or when I first was aware of it). So I was confused when I started seeing it in bottles later.
AgDad121619
AG

AgDad121619 said:

Red Pear Felipe said:

An L of an Ag said:

1) Keystone
2) Milwaukee's Best

3) Natty

4) Schaefer

Edit to include Natty

My dad did Schaffer light. His beer fridge was stocked but we were always worried he had them stacked so perfect that he was keeping track and as kids we were afraid of being busted stealing a couple.
$1.50 a six pack - best use of my $4.25/ hr McD's job
Ag with kids
AG
Red Pear Felipe said:

An L of an Ag said:

1) Keystone
2) Milwaukee's Best

3) Natty

4) Schaefer

Edit to include Natty

My ex FIL did too. He said why drink good beer? You're just sucking the drug out of it anyways.

That dude could drink like a world champ and you'd never know he was drunk.

RIP Jim
nortex97
AG

Interesting speculation.

Quote:

It is quite possible that someone at AB InBev has circled July 5 on the calendar as "D-Day" for a decision on the future of AB products as an InBev division.

If they can't show some kind of turnaround for the mid-summer US holiday, then hope of a turnaround on any predictable timetable is gone.

You could see a concentrated short attack on AB InBev's stock if the summer looks like a total loss, and they are heading into football season.

The only solution for the parent company is to cut their losses and sell AB to a US buyer at a huge discount and take the loss.

A US buyer could clean house and very probably resurrect the brand with a very public "We heard you and we're sorry" campaign.
I was dubious above in this thread that InBev would consider selling off AB, but I guess the idea does make sense if it's just going to keep tanking for them. They don't want the whole parent to 'go down with the woke ship' so to speak.
Chef Elko
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Danwell Home said:

Tramp96 said:

Danwell Home said:

Come on people! Natty or michelob ultras are off limits too!
Well, to be fair, Natty was off limits once I was no longer a poor college student.

Natty should come with a warning label that it causes gastrointestinal distress on the same level as Taco Bell.

Hard to beat a canned Keystone with a splash of OJ while watching College Gameday.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!
I'm a simple man, enjoying simple drinks like the NASCAR Spritzer in the early hours of football Saturdays.

aggiedata
AG
TXAG 05
AG
YouBet said:

Keystone does taste better because it is the nectar of the gods. Still drink every now and then.
dreyOO
This is just what the politics always needed. Not just the downfall of a woke company, but a good old-fashioned beer thread.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Speaking of bad ideas for broke college kids in a Northside corps style dorm...

Edward 40 hands. Two 40oz bottles of malt liquor, one duct taped to each hand. When they're both empty you can remove them and go pee.

Gosh we were dumb
DTP02
AG
Growing up in a military family we got a lot of groceries from the base commissary that weren't necessarily available everywhere.

One of these things that I'd never seen anywhere else were these black and white generic cans that simply said "Beer" and "Light Beer" on them. I think they were canned by Pearl.

Those generics, Olympia and Schaefer were the cheap beers we were stuck sneaking out of my dad's fridge.

Good, stupid times.
JCA1
AG
TXAG 05 said:

YouBet said:

Keystone does taste better because it is the nectar of the gods. Still drink every now and then.

I had always heard that Keystone came out of the same tanks as Coors Light. No idea if true though.

My roommates and I single-handedly kept Keystone Ice afloat for several years in college.
KidDoc
AG
I forgot about big mouth Mickey's. They were very popular with the Lacrosse team back in the 90s.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Texmid
AG
DTP02 said:

Growing up in a military family we got a lot of groceries from the base commissary that weren't necessarily available everywhere.

One of these things that I'd never seen anywhere else were these black and white generic cans that simply said "Beer" and "Light Beer" on them. I think they were canned by Pearl.

Those generics, Olympia and Schaefer were the cheap beers we were stuck sneaking out of my dad's fridge.

Good, stupid times.
I can remember buying those generic beers at a grocery store on Texas Avenue back in '87.
will25u

PlaneCrashGuy
AG
The boycott will continue until there are heads on pikes.
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
LSB_2002
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

One can only hope!
Tramp96
PlaneCrashGuy said:

The boycott will continue indefinitely because the beer is crap to begin with and the people who were drinking it are discovering better tasting alternatives.

At this point, it's no longer a boycott. It has become a market choice. It's better (or worse for AB) than a boycott. They have literally lost them (the previous BL drinkers who boycotted initially) to other brands.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
You're not wrong, but if AB put ol' Dylan on a pike and sold those cans, I'd buy those.
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
Logos Stick
PlaneCrashGuy said:

You're not wrong, but if AB put ol' Dylan on a pike and sold those cans, I'd buy those.

LOL
Nitro Power
AG
BL gave people who didn't think of changing, a reason to look around. They did and found better (Flight), so there is no reason for those customers to return.
Logos Stick
Nitro Power said:

BL gave people who didn't think of changing, a reason to look around. They did and found better (Flight), so there is no reason for those customers to return.

Yeah, it's obvious. It's odd that AB just doesn't move on. Spend your ad money on your other brands and try to increase market share for those. Not all those who have moved on are boycotting all AB brands.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Not quite. Some m that are drinking YF over BL prefer BL to YF, they just cannot stand to drink something that is socially stigmatized as ****** beer. With that said, the folks I'm referring to here were born and raised in MO, so their drawn to AB is innate.

American Hardwood
AG
I tell you one thing though, I wish I possessed the Dylan cans. They are going to be worth a fortune someday as a piece of history. Especially if Bud light is driven all the way into the ground.
Tramp96
Look, I've said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again.

If AB would just bring back Michelob and Michelob Light (not Ultra, but the old light in the silver label), and put some serious ad dollars and creative marketing efforts behind them, they could possibly scratch back some of the market they've lost. They won't have the stigma of BL, and at least in the past, both Michelob and Light were pretty damn tasty beers...infinitely better than BL.
Squadron7
AG
Quote:

I tell you one thing though, I wish I possessed the Dylan cans.

I've seen Dylan.

She has no cans.

But she's a dude, so.....
GeorgiAg
AG
I hope BL goes on sale. I'll buy a bunch!

For my can cannon upper for my AR15!

If I shoot an intruder with this, will it turn him gay?
jrrhouston98
AG
I have a good friend that drinks a little too much BL, and has for many years. I asked him his plans for switching after this debacle and his response was simple. Not changing anything. 50 years old with 3 kids and absolutely zero Fs to give. Won't change. Too bad as far as I am concerned, but I guess if you are secure with yourself, who cares what others think. At least that is what I preach to my kid.
techno-ag
AG
jrrhouston98 said:

I have a good friend that drinks a little too much BL, and has for many years. I asked him his plans for switching after this debacle and his response was simple. Not changing anything. 50 years old with 3 kids and absolutely zero Fs to give. Won't change. Too bad as far as I am concerned, but I guess if you are secure with yourself, who cares what others think. At least that is what I preach to my kid.
He's probably gay.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

First Page Last Page
Page 75 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.