Starbucks Baristas Strike, "Demand End To Illegal Union-Busting Campaign

5,683 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggie Jurist
FJB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If ever a business needed to go fully automated, it is this one.

Who is John Galt?

Ginormus Ag
AG
I am sorry. I looked as well and they are not on the internet, therefore, they must not exist. In my head they look exactly like you would expect. That same off white color, 6oz hard plastic cup, with matching design, thin u shaped handle, sitting on a saucer make out of the same hard plastic material with the same design in the center. I am now questioning my whole childhood. I can see exactly where they are in the left side cabinet to the left upperside of the stove with that coffee maker. The only explanation I can offer is that I am an inter dimensional being and I have somehow crossed over to this dimension where they do not exist.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Kramer is impressed with this effort.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
BTKAG97
AG
The should be careful. A Starbucks "barista" position can easily be replaced by a vending machine.
heddleston
AG
Worked at a starbucks for two years while i was in grad school. I thought it was pretty great; flexible hours, easy to pick up extra shifts when need be, benefits were great considering they were compensation for unskilled labor. that said, many if not most of my coworkers had made some bad life choices and wanted to blame anyone but themselves for being where they were at at the time. I will say, however, of all the food service jobs i worked growing up and through school, that one was probably the most difficult.
Kenneth_2003
AG
1) It was years back now, but I don't think anything has changed. Starbucks lost mightily in a blind taste test to McDonalds

2) It seems like Starbucks management IS indeed handling this well and letting these folks have their temper tantrum. Based on the fact that they're still making their demands and "wanting their voices heard" tells me management is ignoring them. Here's some free advice kiddos... No answer, IS an answer. You were heard, and you were resoundingly ignored.

As others have said, here are A LOT of options now for coffee. Lower cost high end home coffee makers, greater bean/roast & flavor selection at your local grocer, Dutch Brothers & BRC just to name two new entrants, McDonalds or Dunkin... If Starbucks management is smart they'll ignore these rabble rousers.
Kozmozag
I hope they unionize successfully, just to see that smug Schultz have a heart attack.
WBBQ74
AG
Never a coffee drinker in my life so I don't have any skin in this game. That being said, I find it amusing as another go woke go broke drama unfolds in front of us. I see that 2 of the striking locations are in San Antonio. Maybe I can swing by and wave at one of them. A previous poster alluded to the demographic mentality of folks who work there. Fast food is a transitory job mostly done by youngsters on their way to something better and not your typical trades or industrial type union scenario. They are being played by folks who are using them to create a little empire to lord over. Cue the Al Sharpton type of grifter who swoopes in to 'raise awareness' enough to skim some $ and then vaporize back under the rock he belongs under.

Starbucks is getting what they deserve. Enjoy the cup.
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
What are their biggest demands?

Free nose piercings?

Extra name tags to account for their "gender fluidity?"

$25/hr to pour milk?
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
waiting for the strikers to learn the hard way that for every employee position starbucks cuts, they can install and operate 3 of these (per year):

fully automated barista that will fresh grind and brew your cup to order with whatever you want in it with just the touch of a button and scan of a card. plus its mostly self cleaning. never get your order or name wrong again
BlueSmoke
Lol, F Starbucks. If/when I have to get drive through coffee, I hit a new place in Frisco on the corner of Stonebrook and the Tollway.

Make Coffee Great Again

Quote:

MAKE COFFEE GREAT AGAIN

A Veteran Owned Business Proudly Serving Veteran Owned Coffee & Tea.

LMCane
WAWA and SHEETZ for the win

I don't drink coffee or caffeine but those two franchises are amazingly awesome

and the worst two names in the history of marketing.
Ghost Mech
Dutch Bros has an interesting way of constructing their stores in a modular fashion. I got to inspect one in Waco. Very cool. Delivered in two pieces placed on top of concrete pier and beam. Total construction lasted less than three months.

https://www.valiantmodular.com/

harleyds2
AG
never had coffee there. who in their right might pays that much for coffee. i got my assistant to quit starbucks who made 55k. she was amazed at the money she was saving. all i want is black coffee. i use an old school percolator at the farm cabin. it makes the best coffee. put on a timer. you get the great aroma in the morning
Muy
AG
Oh no, what will we do now to find coffee?!
YouBet
AG
LMCane said:

WAWA and SHEETZ for the win

I don't drink coffee or caffeine but those two franchises are amazingly awesome

and the worst two names in the history of marketing.
These are coffee chains? Have not seen these yet.

We have Dutch Brothers popping in multiple spots here in Dallas now. Many, many options. Bigly.
frenchtoast
Some of their reserve roasts are pretty good. The Pike Place blend, which is what you get when you order a plain cup of black coffee, is terrible. People mostly go there for their flavored lattes and other sugary junk. I go there because I can usually get a free drink, but when I want a good cup of coffee I go to the independent roaster across the street from my apartment.
Tanya 93
BTKAG97 said:

The should be careful. A Starbucks "barista" position can easily be replaced by a vending machine.

If you order normal coffee.
fburgtx
I can go to a paint store, and the guy uses a computer to make an exact color match of whatever I brought in. Surely, a machine can be made to do "custom coffee", that is similar. I just type in what I want, and the coffee gets made. No tips, No dirty hippies. No facial piercings. No unions….

Looks like it already exists…
Ag_07
AG
I was just about to say...They don't even make the coffee. The machine does.

All they do is read names off a cup.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Starbucks employees don't seem to realize that all they actually are is fast food workers.

Starbucks coffee is gross. It tases burnt. So I will continue my boycott of Starbucks because their product is bad.
young eugene
AG
Google tells me there are over 9,000 starbucks in the US. Corporate goes not give two farts about this 100 store tantrum. Might give some regional managers a headache but thats it.
Actual Talking Thermos
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Starbucks employees don't seem to realize that all they actually are is fast food workers.
Why shouldn't a fast food worker, or any worker at all, negotiate to get the best deal they can from their employer? And if collective bargaining gives more leverage in negotiations, why not make use of that? Is Starbucks not going to use whatever leverage they can to pay as little as possible and wring as much profit as possible from their employees? Why should that privilege belong solely to the corporation and not the people making and selling the coffee?
agent-maroon
AG
Being replaceable by literally the next person to walk through the door isn't a strong basis for negotiation and/or unions & strikes.

HTH
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Fife
They're overplaying their hand. Starbucks barista isn't meant to be a career, and they're going to find themselves replaced by robots at a much faster pace if they become the more expensive option.
Snake Jazz
I've never understood the attraction of Starbucks. Dramatically overpriced, and not intended for somebody like me who likes their coffee kind of simple. I guess it's great if you're a coffee nerd who likes all kinds of fancy junk that adds calories and sugar.

My wife, who doesn't even drink coffee generally, will spend a fortune there around Christmas getting peppermint or gingerbread flavored coffee drinks. I've tried to explain to her that those are closer to milkshakes than coffee, but she keeps going.
Actual Talking Thermos
agent-maroon said:

Being replaceable by literally the next person to walk through the door isn't a strong basis for negotiation and/or unions & strikes.

HTH
Sounds like it won't be a problem then.
agracer
AG
C@LAg said:

I already started my boycott of Starbucks due to the entitled baristas.

hopefully it speeds up Starbucks transitioning to machines to make their drinks and eliminate as many of these overly-entitled stunted little twunts as possible..

Buy an Aeropress. For $35 you can make great coffee at home.
that seems expensive for a cup of coffee..I guess Biden's economy really does suck!
deddog
AG
If your job requires 1 day of training, with no previous skill required, you have no negotiating power.
This pampered generation is going to learn it the hard way.
Trajan88
AG
Saw one of these in a Walmart in McKinney.

It is not there any more though

C@LAg
Trajan88 said:

Saw one of these in a Walmart in McKinney.

It is not there any more though

costco used to have their version of that as well but they disappeared during covid.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Lavazza is my go-to bean for my espresso machine at home. Great flavor, excellent crema, overall an enjoyable drink.
Bocephus
AG
Nespresso FTW
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
AG
Krups 223 and Sunbeam AP10 and Texas Joe Pecan for the win.

waiting in line for bad coffee is for the retired and unemployed
Trajan88
AG
I have been using one of these for the last 10 years... only issue is a tear in the filter!mesh that holds the coffee grounds

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.