Russia/Ukraine from Another Perspective (Relaunch Part Deux)

369,208 Views | 8276 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Ags4DaWin
wtmartinaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure your point. I bought General Dynamics as soon as I read about the volume of artillery going back and forth in the conflict and have done quite well. You can be an ethos investor if you want and avoid war stocks, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this conflict was going to result in new military equipment contracts.
notex
AG
That's fine, it's the lawmakers voting for the war, to profit on it that I see as a moral concern. I assume you're not a congressperson so no worries.
General Jack D. Ripper
I want nothing to do with these warmongers. I will not invest in rockets and bombs. If the US was attacked directly however, I'd volunteer in the factories.
There was this one time at ban camp…
Build It
AG
There are thousands hanging out in Turkey, Russians as well. They aren't hard to find.
YouBet
AG
General Jack D. Ripper said:

I want nothing to do with these warmongers. I will not invest in rockets and bombs. If the US was attacked directly however, I'd volunteer in the factories.

You should probably check any funds you are in. May find some defense contractors in there.
Tanker123
What Ukraine needs is a significant amount of long-range weapons systems with the capability of maneuvering deep into Russian held territory to attack them at the Ukrainian Military's time, place, and choosing. Without them, Ukraine is relegated to taking a few long-range shots and fighting in linear formations which is Russia's strength. Large battles are won or lost by close fighting.
Grapes
What Ukraine needs is a peace deal.
Teslag
AG
Grapes said:

What if Russia doesn't want a peace deal?
samurai_science
Teslag said:

Grapes said:

What if Russia doesn't want a peace deal?
Lets find out
Teslag
AG
I'm fairly certain it's already known Russia won't accept a deal freezing current lines and allowing Ukraine to join NATO.
Tanker123
I will make the very strong assumption Russia wants the Donbas region for its industrial production which had a GDP of around 335 billion Euros in 2021. I doubt Ukraine will accept that in peace talks.
YouBet
AG
Tanker123 said:

I will make the very strong assumption Russia wants the Donbas region for its industrial production which had a GDP of around 335 billion Euros in 2021. I doubt Ukraine will accept that in peace talks.

Then Ukraine will just continue to bleed out. They aren't getting any of their land back that has been lost.
Teslag
AG
If you look at the contents of the recent aid package its weapons used for defense, not offensives. I believe Ukraine has been told they are to focus on keeping what they have and forcing a stalemate.
YouBet
AG
Teslag said:

If you look at the contents of the recent aid package its weapons used for defense, not offensives. I believe Ukraine has been told they are to focus on keeping what they have and forcing a stalemate.

Makes sense.
samurai_science
Teslag said:

I'm fairly certain it's already known Russia won't accept a deal freezing current lines and allowing Ukraine to join NATO.
Well until we try, we wont know.
Grapes
Teslag said:

Or just don't have Ukraine as part of NATO. Maybe try that.
Teslag
AG
What makes you think we haven't?
Teslag
AG
Grapes said:

Teslag said:

Ukraine has a right to join whatever they want. It also ensures no future Russian invasion
Tanker123
US generals know Ukraine must have the capability to conduct large unit movement to contacts. Therefore, I am of thinking politics has truncated the requisite military aid to Ukraine to prevent them from executing a full spectrum of warfare. Perhaps a decision maker(s) in the US is reluctant to assist the Ukrainians in a manner to achieve decisive victory because of the threat of WWIII and the use of nuclear weapons.
notex
AG
Maneuver warfare is not ever going to be the same. Too many drones/stand off weapons/surveillance/mines. Most Ukrainian brigades are desperately undermanned. Russia has EW systems every 10km.

Xi (the not Xiden version) is going to be in Belgrade on the 25th anniversary of the infamous nato bombing. Welcoming them into BRICS?

YouBet
AG
Tanker123 said:

US generals know Ukraine must have the capability to conduct large unit movement to contacts. Therefore, I am of thinking politics has truncated the requisite military aid to Ukraine to prevent them from executing a full spectrum of warfare. Perhaps a decision maker(s) in the US is reluctant to assist the Ukrainians in a manner to achieve decisive victory because of the threat of WWIII and the use of nuclear weapons.

Yes, this has been the public policy / reasoning since this all started.
Ag with kids
AG
Grapes said:

Teslag said:

So...that we can be back here in 8 more years? Because Russia has already shown that a peace treaty (Minsk Agreements) mean absolutely nothing and they're perfectly willing to thrown it in the trash when they think they're ready to go again.

Putting NATO in the equation makes them realize they won't be ready to go again.
Tanker123
The Russians really suck at maneuver warfare on the offense. Tanks attacking from a collum formation is sufficient to convince me that they suck on the offense because that breaks all the cardinal rules for the use of armor. I will make an assumption they suck at defending maneuver warfare and believe that is a strong assumption. They won't defend well against a large and fast-moving attacking unit with lots of firepower. That operation will be too sophisticated for them. Their Center of Gravity is fighting in linear formations.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Ukraine can continue to atrophy for as long as it would like, as but far as I can see this ends when they tap out. Russia has shown they are content to go slowly. In fact slow and drawn out plays to their advantages.
Teslag
AG
Russia's problem is they can't take enough to really make Ukraine bleed. They were counting on no more US aid and completely didn't expect even Trump to get behind it. Russia had their greatest window to take a significant amount of territory and couldn't. Ukraine wasn't given offensive weapons. They were given superior NATO stand off weapons and Russia doesn't have anything offensively to counter those, not to mention any ability to maintain long supply lines to even support a successful offensive. Russia may gain a mile or two here or there over a course of many months. And then Ukraine may catch them off guard in places and take a few back.

Most people don't realize how massive Ukraine is. Russia spent 5 months taking about 5 miles in Avdiika. Avdiika is 450 miles from Kiev. Odesa is 435 from Avdiika. These distances are real. They aren't overcome by wish casting or Russian milblogger fantasy. Russia will need real offensive and logistical capabilities to conquer those distances and 5 miles in 5 months won't cut it. They need to show real ability and they simply haven't. It's no longer 1943. They need more than warm bodies and old weapons to throw at the problem.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

Russia's problem is they can't take enough to really make Ukraine bleed. They were counting on no more US aid and completely didn't expect even Trump to get behind it. Russia had their greatest window to take a significant amount of territory and couldn't. Ukraine wasn't given offensive weapons. They were given superior NATO stand off weapons and Russia doesn't have anything offensively to counter those, not to mention any ability to maintain long supply lines to even support a successful offensive. Russia may gain a mile or two here or there over a course of many months. And then Ukraine may catch them off guard in places and take a few back.

Most people don't realize how massive Ukraine is. Russia spent 5 months taking about 5 miles in Avdiika. Avdiika is 450 miles from Kiev. Odesa is 435 from Avdiika. These distances are real. They aren't overcome by wish casting or Russian milblogger fantasy. Russia will need real offensive and logistical capabilities to conquer those distances and 5 miles in 5 months won't cut it. They need to show real ability and they simply haven't. It's no longer 1943. They need more than warm bodies and old weapons to throw at the problem.

What exactly is stopping Russia from taking 5 miles a year for 90 years? You're creating an urgency that just isn't there. & Ukraine isn't recapturing anything unless something major changes. That is fantasy at this junction.

To elaborate on appetite for war in general. Russia lost 27 million men defeating Nazi Germany. They think they are fighting Nazi's on their border again and they're nowhere close to losing 27 million men.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
to be far, these were the same sanctions Bidens okigarch buddies were immune from anyways
Ag with kids
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

What exactly is stopping Russia from taking 5 miles a year for 90 years? You're creating an urgency that just isn't there. & Ukraine isn't recapturing anything unless something major changes. That is fantasy at this junction.

Economics...
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Economics...

You're correct that their GDP can't keep growing forever.
Teslag
AG
What's stopping it is superior weaponry given to Ukraine for pennies on the dollar representing a fraction of our annual defense budget. This recent aid package won't be the last. Ukraine will eventually be admitted to NATO. Russia simply doesn't have the ability to maintain logistical lines that long nor the weapons to overcome defensive positions and stand off weapons. They simply don't exist in Russia's arsenal.

Ukraine got torched without nato aid because they had to get up close and personal to the Russians. That situation favors Russia with superior numbers. Ukraine no longer has to do that. They can sit at a distance and take out Russian supply lines and advancements. All the while using longer range ATACMS to hurt Russian rear support behind Russian lines. It's a pure defensive posture. Ukraine won't get any land. But they also won't lose any either.

And that's exactly why Russia was losing their **** over more US and NATO aid. Aid that will continue regardless of who wins the presidency.
Ag with kids
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Economics...

And the west can continue giving small percentages of their GDP while Russia dedicates large percentages of their GDP to the war effort for 90 years. Except...Russia can't afford to do that. And the west can.
Ag with kids
AG
Teslag said:

What's stopping it is superior weaponry given to Ukraine for pennies on the dollar representing a fraction of our annual defense budget. This recent aid package won't be the last. Ukraine will eventually be admitted to NATO. Russia simply doesn't have the ability to maintain logistical lines that long nor the weapons to overcome defensive positions and stand off weapons. They simply don't exist in Russia's arsenal.

Ukraine got torched without nato aid because they had to get up close and personal to the Russians. That situation favors Russia with superior numbers. Ukraine no longer has to do that. They can sit at a distance and take out Russian supply lines and advancements. All the while using longer range ATACMS to hurt Russian rear support behind Russian lines. It's a pure defensive posture. Ukraine won't get any land. But they also won't lose any either.

And that's exactly why Russia was losing their **** over more US and NATO aid. Aid that will continue regardless of who wins the presidency.
I agree. Even Trump will continue to give Ukraine military aid. Just like he did when he was POTUS.

This isn't American boots on the ground.
Teslag
AG
Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Economics...

And the west can continue giving small percentages of their GDP while Russia dedicates large percentages of their GDP to the war effort for 90 years. Except...Russia can't afford to do that. And the west can.

Bingo. Russia knows their only window for success was the west stopping aid. That's why you saw some much effort in Russian disinformation groups trying to sow discord here to prevent it. They must have completely crapped themselves when Trump came out for the aid package.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

Ukraine got smaller (by a little bit) today, and everyday for the last couple hundred days.

if you think Ukraine is going to suddenly stand up and hold the line, my only question is when?
Teslag
AG
When? They have been since April of 2022. Russian isn't patting themselves on the back over 5 miles in 5 months. They know full well they needed to do more. It's not sustainable and it had to have been a kick in the nuts being unable to do more with Ukraine drained of equipment and ammunition. Ukraine in the coming months will be receiving the recently approved aid. And it will be used.

If Russias plan is to take 10 miles a year in one tiny area on the front they may succeed…

In 400 years.

If you think they can increase that rate then by all means tell us. List the specific offensive weapons and logistical capabilities they have that will facilitate it in the face of NATO ranged attacks.
First Page Last Page
Page 216 of 237

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.