Russia/Ukraine from Another Perspective (Relaunch Part Deux)

475,537 Views | 9106 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by nortex97
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

"Alleged"

Have they asked Zaluzhny? He seemed to confirm.

Russia has been trying to take this village since 2014 but it's not a stalemate.
Teslag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

J. Walter Weatherman said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

YouBet said:

YouBet said:

Continue to shake my head at the kindergarten comment of "Putin can end this conflict today". It's a worthless, throwaway comment bereft of any thought or consideration of reality.

At the beginning of December, the daily refrain was that funding runs out for them around now. And they would be screwed if we didn't give them more. I may have missed it but I don't think we have approved any more funding for them.

Sometimes things are actually that simple. And something so obvious wouldn't need to be said if so many posters on this thread weren't so desperate to blame literally anyone but Putin for what is happening.

It's also irrelevant.

It becomes relevant when a certain high volume "other perspective" poster tries to act like they nobly want the war to be over to stop more people from needlessly dying but only seem to blame the side currently being invaded for the war continuing.

Imagine thinking not wanting people to die is an act for internet points on TexAgs. You should reflect on what you think is important.

Coming from the poster who is openly cheering for the murdering dictator directly responsible for every death in this war, it might be time for you to take your own advice.

When you've lost, lie. A Ukrainian tale as old as the country, which is actually pretty young.

Do you want Russia to win? Yes or no.
Ag with kids
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

It is the noble man who knows when he has been defeated.

Multiple leaders in NATO countries are starting to come out and own up to their government's mistakes. You should too.
None of them are saying it wasn't Putin's fault...

But, I did notice that Turkey had just agreed to allow Sweden into NATO. So, that's one more NATO country creeping up on your...umm...Russia's borders...

So, his invasion DID get him that.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

YouBet said:

YouBet said:

Continue to shake my head at the kindergarten comment of "Putin can end this conflict today". It's a worthless, throwaway comment bereft of any thought or consideration of reality.

At the beginning of December, the daily refrain was that funding runs out for them around now. And they would be screwed if we didn't give them more. I may have missed it but I don't think we have approved any more funding for them.

Sometimes things are actually that simple. And something so obvious wouldn't need to be said if so many posters on this thread weren't so desperate to blame literally anyone but Putin for what is happening.

It's also irrelevant.

It becomes relevant when a certain high volume "other perspective" poster tries to act like they nobly want the war to be over to stop more people from needlessly dying but only seem to blame the side currently being invaded for the war continuing.

Imagine thinking not wanting people to die is an act for internet points on TexAgs. You should reflect on what you think is important.

Coming from the poster who is openly cheering for the murdering dictator directly responsible for every death in this war, it might be time for you to take your own advice.

When you've lost, lie. A Ukrainian tale as old as the country, which is actually pretty young.

Do you want Russia to win? Yes or no.

Russia already has. You might never see it.
Teslag
AG
Don't cop out. Own it. Do you want Russia to win? Yes or no.
Teslag
AG
Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

It is the noble man who knows when he has been defeated.

Multiple leaders in NATO countries are starting to come out and own up to their government's mistakes. You should too.
None of them are saying it wasn't Putin's fault...

But, I did notice that Turkey had just agreed to allow Sweden into NATO. So, that's one more NATO country creeping up on your...umm...Russia's borders...

So, his invasion DID get him that.

They also wanted to de-nazify Ukraine. Even though Ukraines four largest cities are safely not in Russian control and the war is over supposedly.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
For all the excitement surrounding a handful of Russian planes that were shot down, I'm seeing multiple reports of a busy Russian Air Force tonight.

Ag with kids
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

For all the excitement surrounding a handful of Russian planes that were shot down, I'm seeing multiple reports of a busy Russian Air Force tonight.

I see Russia is using their first line aircraft...
nortex97
AG
Stand off platforms, generally the same age/role as our B-52's (though I think they have produced them more recently, can't recall).

Apparently the air base where the SU-24's with Stormshadows launches from was hit pretty heavily as well.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag
AG
Imagine what kind of person openly cheers for, and hopes for more of this.

Quote:

In Odesa, three people were killed and a further 26 injured, including two children and a pregnant woman when three rockets hit residential buildings.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/29/russia-launches-huge-wave-missile-strikes-ukraine
nortex97
AG
Ukrainian diplomat; Putin did everything possible to reach peace.

Quote:

Russian President Vladimir Putin personally sought a peace agreement with Ukraine in April 2022, according to Ambassador Aleksandr Chaly, a distinguished member of the Ukrainian delegation.

Chaly expressed this perspective during an event at the Geneva Center for Security Policy (GCSP) in early December, where he dissected the ongoing conflict in Ukraine. The ex-deputy foreign minister is an associate fellow at the Swiss government-funded foundation. His remarks drew media attention after a video of the event was released on YouTube last week.

Chaly analyzed the roots of the ongoing conflict, which he described as "hard competition" for Ukraine that the US and the EU have with Russia, as well as Kiev's intention to join the EU and NATO. He stressed that "Russian aggression" was not inevitable since the parties had sufficient tools to resolve their differences.
Quote:

Remarks made by senior Russian officials, including Putin, partially back Chaly's account.

The president said during his year-end press conference this month that Russia's stated goals of demilitarization and "de-Nazification" of Ukraine would have been addressed under the pre-approved treaty.

"Options remain to either achieve them through an agreement or by force," Putin stressed.
Team Biden couldn't let that happen, clearly.

I do like this Milei guy, not sure what his long term outlook will be though.

PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

Quote:

In Odesa, three people were killed and a further 26 injured, including two children and a pregnant woman when three rockets hit residential buildings.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/29/russia-launches-huge-wave-missile-strikes-ukraine

Agreed. We should all hope they come to their senses and surrender so this can end. As Nortex posted above, Russia tried diplomacy first. Biden and Co would not let it resolved peacefully.
nortex97
AG

The freedom and democracy must be so wonderful now in Ukraine.

PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Does the futility of this war impact your opinion on those who draft dodge?
nortex97
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Does the futility of this war impact your opinion on those who draft dodge?
I dunno if the term 'draft' is even accurate for what is going on there. "They" are abducting people off the streets, the elites/wealthy are wholly exempt, yet also they are including the elderly, people without bladders, ******ed etc. They are trying to extradite those who have left.

The desperation is palpable and while I frankly still don't 'want to see Russia conquer all of Ukraine in some sort of partisan/brutal way' I also don't know that I am the right person to pass judgment on those remaining in Ukraine, unable to travel, engage in commerce (sell personal goods, or go to the bank), vote, read/speak/share information freely, who don't want to join the war effort as canon fodder. I'd yet again note as well that Ukraine, pre-war, faced a staggering demographic crisis. The war has functionally ended its people's hope for a future.

Quote:

Even before the invasion Ukraine's population was ageing fast, and men and women of working and child-bearing age were the most likely to emigrate. Every year since 1991, more Ukrainians have died than were born. In 2021, partly because of covid-19, there were 442,280 more coffins filled than cradles in government-controlled territory. Ukrainians, especially men, drink and smoke too much. Even before the war, their life expectancy was one of the lowest in Europe. In 2020 the average Ukrainian man could expect to live to 66, eleven and a half years less than the average man in the eu.

A study in March by scholars at the University of St Andrews in Scotland asked how the war might affect Ukraine's population. It predicted that it would fall by between 17% and 33% in the parts of Ukraine controlled by the government before Vladimir Putin's invasion. In the worst-case scenario, it said, there would be only 28m people, with the numbers of working-age adults and children falling by 36% and 56% respectively. So, not many young people, and even fewer future parents.

Professor Kurylo notes that Ukraine has survived demographic calamities in the past, such as the famine caused by Stalin's policies in 1932-33, which killed almost 4m people, and the loss of 7m during the second world war. For that reason she expects a revival after the waras happened in western Europe after both world wars in the 20th century. But there are reasons to fear that Ukraine's population could keep shrinking. In 1950 the average Ukrainian woman could expect to have 2.8 children. That had fallen to 1.16 in 2021, one of the lowest fertility rates on the planet.
Frankly, during the war their birthrate is likely well under 1.0, and most of the migrants/refugees simply won't ever return. I think it has to be something like 2.2 to be sustainable, and the population of the remnant Kiev controls today is probably closer to 11 million vs. 40.

From a safe distance it's just a tragic waste of human lives, for nothing that I can see, other than the enrichment of oligarchs (and benefit of China), near and far.
Teslag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

Agreed. We should all hope they come to their senses and surrender so this can end. As Nortex posted above, Russia tried diplomacy first. Biden and Co would not let it resolved peacefully.

In April of 2022. Invading a nation and then offering "diplomacy" is laughable and anything but seeking peace first. But I'm surprised to see you both defend and support it.

Had Ukraine agreed to "peace" then Kherson and Kharkiv would still be in Russia hands along with 60% of Russia's gains at that time.
Teslag
AG
Quote:

More just "sharing information" and not taking simplicuous as credible I see.
Teslag
AG
Quote:

"They" are abducting people off the streets, the elites/wealthy are wholly exempt, yet also they are including the elderly, people without bladders, ******ed etc. They are trying to extradite those who have left.

According to?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

Quote:

More just "sharing information" and not taking simplicuous as credible I see.

I will take this opportunity to remind you that he is more credible than the tactical thread on this site, which has still not updated on the missiles shot into Ukraine . (Largest quantity in the conflict)
Teslag
AG
Except that he's literally been wrong about everything from start he's totally credible, and openly supporting Russia, Iran, and China.

And I'm sure the Russian terrorist attack targeting civilians, which has you gleeful over, will be discussed on that thread. As all Russian terrorist attacks are.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

Except that he's literally been wrong about everything from start he's totally credible, and openly supporting Russia, Iran, and China.

And I'm sure the Russian terrorist attack targeting civilians, which has you gleeful over, will be discussed on that thread. As all Russian terrorist attacks are.

Ukraine sinks Russia's boat = FA

Russia strikes back = FO

This is still an active war until Uke decides its had enough.
J. Walter Weatherman
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Russia strikes back = FO

Just as a reminder, you conveniently forgot to answer the question. Seems like a simple choice.

Quote:

Do you want Russia to win? Yes or no
samurai_science
I dont care who wins at this point, I just want us to stop funding it.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Russia strikes back = FO

Just as a reminder, you conveniently forgot to answer the question. Seems like a simple choice.

Quote:

Russia already has.
nortex97
AG
Teslag said:

Quote:

"They" are abducting people off the streets, the elites/wealthy are wholly exempt, yet also they are including the elderly, people without bladders, ******ed etc. They are trying to extradite those who have left.

According to?
The videos and links to their legislation and negotiations are posted up thread, hth. It's common knowledge. Extradition has been debated hotly but Estonia is apparently going to be first.

You hopefully have an ability to look up the mobilization law Zelensky approved (vs. what Zaluzhny said was requested): are people without bladders exempt, or not? Do you have a source?

There are copious videos about the conscription/recruiting 'tactics' if you stray outside a certain bubble of propaganda:

J. Walter Weatherman
PlaneCrashGuy said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Russia strikes back = FO

Quote:

Russia already has.

Thanks for answering. Happy we cleared up that you are rooting for the country 100% responsible for every death in this war.
Teslag
AG

PlaneCrashGuy said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Russia strikes back = FO

Quote:

Russia already has.

Thanks for answering. Happy we cleared up that you are rooting for the country 100% responsible for every death in this war.

And if Russia has "won" why are they still fighting? Why are they not in control of Ukraines four largest cities?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG

PlaneCrashGuy said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Russia strikes back = FO

Quote:

Russia already has.

Notice how in his mind this is a sporting event where you "root for" one side. Not me.

I can read the writing on the wall, but you can't see the difference.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Russia strikes back = FO

Quote:

Russia already has.

And if Russia has "won" why are they still fighting? Why are they not in control of Ukraines four largest cities?

Because Ukraine decides when the fighting stops. The outcome was determined when the counter offensive stalled.
Teslag
AG
Let's not forget that plane crash guy just yesterday asked Nortex if he thought Russia would accept a peace deal if Ukraine offered one now. If a country has already "won" there would be no need for such a question. And that's because plane crane crash guy knows full well that Russia has not achieved their goals set out in February of 2022.

And if you haven't achieved your goals, are still fighting, and won't accept peace then you simply haven't won.
Teslag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Russia strikes back = FO

Quote:

Russia already has.

Because Ukraine decides when the fighting stops. The outcome was determined when the counter offensive stalled.
m
So if Ukraine said they'd agree to the current lines and sought peace then Putin/Russia would stop fighting and be totally content with what they have?
J. Walter Weatherman
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Russia strikes back = FO

Quote:

Russia already has.

That's not how invasions work. Russia is in full control of whether this war is happening or not, just like they have been since they launched the unprovoked invasion in the first place.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
nortex97 said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

According to?
The videos and links to their legislation and negotiations are posted up thread, hth. It's common knowledge. Extradition has been debated hotly but Estonia is apparently going to be first.

You hopefully have an ability to look up the mobilization law Zelensky approved (vs. what Zaluzhny said was requested): are people without bladders exempt, or not? Do you have a source?

There are copious videos about the conscription/recruiting 'tactics' if you stray outside a certain bubble of propaganda:

Tthere is now video of a Ukrainian soldier with down syndrome in the trenches making the rounds. Is there precedent in international law for this?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Russia strikes back = FO

Quote:

Russia already has.

m
So if Ukraine said they'd agree to the current lines and sought peace then Putin/Russia would stop fighting and be totally content with what they have?

As part of their surrender, Uke would need to expel the Nazi's from its government.
First Page Last Page
Page 141 of 261

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.