Russia/Ukraine from Another Perspective (Relaunch Part Deux)

475,000 Views | 9104 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by OPAG
PlaneCrashGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teslag said:

Quote:

I think it's tragic the lives being sacrificed at whatever one calls the altar of this war,

A war in which Vladimir Putin started and is solely responsible for.

But as always he gets a pass

The winner always writes the history books.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Sotero-Judges said:

Sounds like he FAFO like those NAFO fella's like to joke about.

He'd be alive today if he simply stayed home. Instead he is gone and will soon be forgotten. Terrible conclusion to what is certainly an FAFO situation.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
nortex97 said:

Quote:

After going on a few missions, one of which involved crossing the Dnipro River, Ethan Hertweck joined another unit along with one of his comrades. On Dec. 8, he and a member of his former unit were protecting two bunkers when the Russians began to overrun their position.

"They both single-handedly left their post taking out about 12 enemy soldiers and halting their advance," Leslie Hertweck said. "They saved two bunkers full of their unit. Ethan made it to the bunker but had to go back for his mate, and that is when he was hit in his left upper chest above his plate, but he still tried to render aid before he passed."

Never during his time in Ukraine did Ethan Hertweck voice any regrets for deciding to help Ukrainians, his mother said.

While his family is mourning his loss, they are also deeply proud of his sacrifice, she said, adding: "He gave his life for a country and people he had fallen in love with!"
This whole story is very sad as it really sounds like a young kid who basically fell for propaganda, and wound up dying in the meat grinder craziness (tactically/strategically) that is the Dnipro 'beach head' Zelensky insists on holding.

Not going to denigrate his life/sacrifice or anything, I just think it is exactly the tragic story (and attendant narrative) I wish we could get fewer people to see as 'good' as it is just a waste of a promising young life.

His sacrifice to what? He died in service to a dictator that suspended elections to secure his rule.
Teslag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

I think it's tragic the lives being sacrificed at whatever one calls the altar of this war,

This makes zero sense
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
It likely never will for you. Some folks understand war, however. .
fka ftc
PlaneCrashGuy said:

It likely never will for you. Some folks understand war, however. .
It has taken hundreds of years to learn about true causes of ancient conflicts and to truly learn both sides of the battle.

But you are wasting your time with someone who boils geopolitical situations to "nuh uh, he touched me first so he is the big ol mean baddy dude".

HIstory is written by the victors hold truer to life than the Bible do. People just do not like admitting such things.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Honestly, you're right. But to be fair, I'd imagine its hard to shift how your brain sees and interprets conflict after spending years doing so from the grunt in a bunker perspective. Zooming out could be difficult.
Ag with kids
AG
GAC06 said:

Pretty sure those are just streaming off the assembly line. Plus those were probably old. Addition by subtraction.
Their army multiplied by several divisions, too...
Teslag
AG
Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

This makes zero sense

It doesn't make sense because the posters here giving Putin a pass arent the victors and none are writing history books.
Ag with kids
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

Before the information industrial age, this might have been true...

Now, it's way too easy to see they're full of *****
Teslag
AG
Ag with kids said:

GAC06 said:

Pretty sure those are just streaming off the assembly line. Plus those were probably old. Addition by subtraction.
Their army multiplied by several divisions, too...

Well that poster was totally just sharing information and totally not citing the Russian ministry of defense and Russian defense contractors to substantiate a claim that Russia is stronger.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

The irony is palatable.
GAC06
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

The irony is palatable.

Palatable? El oh el
Ag with kids
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

The irony is palatable.
I guess you haven't read many history books lately. They're not all written by the victor.

Propaganda is harder to keep up unless you're North Korea...
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
GAC06 said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

The irony is palatable.

Palatable? El oh el

El oh el
nortex97
AG
Pro-Nato source releases some unsurprising analyses (for those of us paying attention): Estonian stuff:

Quote:

Quote:

Most NATO Allies have significantly depleted their already small conventional military stockpiles and capabilities by donating their equipment to Ukraine. The Allies also have a very limited industrial base that is unfit for meeting the security challenges of the 21st century and unable to reconstitute these capabilities unless defence investments are substantially and urgently increased.
That's a hell of a concession.
Where they begin to really drill down is on matters of frontline military, even offering some insightful nuggets. For example:
Quote:

If undisrupted, Russia has the capacity to train approximately 130,000 troops every six months into cohered units and formations available for launching operations. Additional troops can be mobilised and pushed into Ukraine as untrained replacements, but these do not provide effective combat power.
This is a fairly powerful admission from a NATO source. They're saying Russia can fully train and equip a massive 130k troops every 6 months into coherent units. They specifically make the distinction that this isn't just an ability to round up some ragtag stopgap filler meat, but rather fully combat capable formationswhich presupposes not only training but equipping. They even state Russia can raise many more additional troops, though those would amount to 'untrained replacements.'

This represents a mouth-watering 6-7 divisions or 26 brigades every 6 months. Recall that Ukraine struggled to put together the 9 brigades for the sake of their big summer counteroffensive. If it was Russia claiming such numbers, Western pundits would laugh them out of the room. How can you possibly compete with a country that can raise 260k fully trained and combat capable men per year?

They go on to relay that Ukraine is incapable of training anything larger than company size on their own territorya fact we've long knowndue to fear of Russian precision strikes wiping out the entire muster. So they're forced to train abroad, but the training there is often expedited and insufficient; for instance only 5 weeks long, whereas:
Quote:

This is not sufficient to prepare soldiers for offensive operations. During the Second World War, British infantry would receive over 20 weeks of training before they were considered basically proficient and the U.S. Army operated with 13-17 weeks of basic training. We must therefore develop our training packages to better prepare our Ukrainian partners for offensive operations.
In the midst of this, they reveal another reality check as to Ukraine's combat capabilities:

They go on to state something I've written about several times before, but it comes as another welcome confirmation:
Quote:

Efforts to increase European production have been stymied by each European state pursuing separate and relatively small orders from industry. The business case presented by these orders does not justify defence manufacturers increasing production capacity, because there is no clarity on the scale of orders over time. European Allies and Member States therefore should work together to consolidate orders into larger and longer term contracts that would justify investment in production capacity in the defence industrial base.
Defense manufacturers are reluctant to increase their capacity because they fear their investment in these increases will not bear out, since there is no 'clarity of orders over time.' As I said before, it costs billions of dollars to increase capacity. You need new, very expensive lathes and forging machines; you need a huge amount of expensive training of personnel; potentially expensive expansions of your actual premises and sites, purchasing new land, factories, etc. All this costs huge money at a time when the economy is shot, energy prices are sky high, etc. We've learned recently that the average price of a single artillery round in Europe has skyrocketed from 4x to 8x in some countries.

But the most shocking admission of all? Feast your eyes:

That's rightafter spending a year downplaying Russia's abilities, claiming they produce only 1 or sometimes at most 2 million shells, they now openly admit Russia has already reached 3.5M and will soon hit nearly 5M shells per year capacity.

Given the fact that there's always high chance that any Western numbers on Russia are skewed downward and underestimated, there's some possibility that these numbers are maybe even 15-20% higher in reality. Not only have I been saying these exact numbers all along, I predicted 7M capacity by end of 2024-2025, so such an evaluation would be on schedule for me.

And that doesn't even count the 10M shells given by North Korea.

They continue with another interesting factor:
Quote:

An additional limiting factor so far in the sustainability of Ukrainian fires is artillery barrels. It is assessed that Ukraine will need 1500-2000 barrels per year with each unit costing up to 900,000. Given the limited number of barrel machines, particular focus should be provided for companies to expand barrel manufacturing. The United States and the European Allies need to critically reassess the unsustainable fragmentation that has led to Ukraine using at least 17 different artillery platforms. The goal should be to reduce this number by several times.

Next, I guess the DC-based ISW is more aligned with my analyses than I realized:

Quote:

This first part was from December 14th, but today ISW released the second part of their analysis, which continues the trend. I won't cover it in as much depth mostly because it tediously rehashes the same points, as if to drum them home, further evincing their own desperation and urgency.
However, there are a few very cogent points to note.

First, they again contradict the current narrative by assessing that cutting aid would not result in a mere 'stalemate' as CNN and co. would like you to believe, but rather it will end Ukraine's ability to hold Russia off, leading to Russia simply overrunning them:
Quote:

A self-imposed defeat in Ukraine will confront the United States with the real risk of another war in Europe with higher escalation risks and higher costs. Cutting aid to Ukraine will not freeze the frontlines, as ISW has assessed. It will instead diminish Ukraine's ability to hold off the Russian military and accelerate Russia's military drive further and further west because the fundamental driver of this war the Kremlin's intent to eradicate Ukraine's identity and statehood has not changed.
Second, they dispel another popular narrative in the Westone that says Russia will be left 'gravely weakened' after this war, picking up the strewn wreckage of whatever destroyed territories they managed to annex. In fact, I've said since the beginning Russia is gaining immeasurably more than they're losing: in new populations, land and resource wealth, etc. ISW agrees:
Quote:

Absorbing parts of Ukraine and Belarus would significantly increase Russia's power, adding millions of people, including the skilled labor and industrial assets that remain and the territory not scorched, for the Kremlin to use for the reconstitution of the Russian military.
They go on to once more strike a weighty note, implying that NATO itself is on the line:
Quote:

The future of NATO is bound up with the future of Ukraine much more tightly than most people understand.
[url=https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F6665bb81-f1d7-4327-9378-4ab4491cdcac_935x357.png][/url]

In a related theater of this proxy-war, the Russian-Iranian pals of Biden familia in Yemen are…mystifying Jake Sullivan I guess.

Wow.

WaPo reports shell shortage.

Forever war, comrades!

fka ftc
Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

The irony is palatable.
I guess you haven't read many history books lately. They're not all written by the victor.

How many books have you read by Russian authors on communism? Have you read Mein Kampf?

Have you read the Taliban account of the 20 years of US forces in Afghanistan?

We still live in an information controlled world, this very thread is fantastic evidence of that.

Discrediting non-standard and foreign news sources, shouting down those discussing "another perspective" by calling people Putin puppets, comrades and Ivans.

So yea, the irony is well present, though with the folks involved I would not term it palatable. Its instead quite sad and disgusting.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
It sounds to me like Russia is back to getting bigger everyday. Shrinking Uke. The walls are closing in.
Teslag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

It sounds to me like Russia is back to getting bigger everyday. Shrinking Uke. The walls are closing in.

Well they've been saying that for two years now so why would you expect any different?
nortex97
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Yes, and fielding more drones/uniformed soldiers daily. This is again (sub quotes) the linked source from above today that is pro-Nato:

Quote:

That being said, they somewhat acknowledge thisthus the exhortative leaning of the paper, meant to push allies into a bigger semblance of solidarity in order to increase their industrial productivity:
Quote:

Most NATO Allies have significantly depleted their already small conventional military stockpiles and capabilities by donating their equipment to Ukraine. The Allies also have a very limited industrial base that is unfit for meeting the security challenges of the 21st century and unable to reconstitute these capabilities unless defence investments are substantially and urgently increased.
That's a hell of a concession.

Where they begin to really drill down is on matters of frontline military, even offering some insightful nuggets. For example:
Quote:

If undisrupted, Russia has the capacity to train approximately 130,000 troops every six months into cohered units and formations available for launching operations. Additional troops can be mobilised and pushed into Ukraine as untrained replacements, but these do not provide effective combat power.
This is a fairly powerful admission from a NATO source. They're saying Russia can fully train and equip a massive 130k troops every 6 months into coherent units. They specifically make the distinction that this isn't just an ability to round up some ragtag stopgap filler meat, but rather fully combat capable formationswhich presupposes not only training but equipping. They even state Russia can raise many more additional troops, though those would amount to 'untrained replacements.'

This represents a mouth-watering 6-7 divisions or 26 brigades every 6 months. Recall that Ukraine struggled to put together the 9 brigades for the sake of their big summer counteroffensive. If it was Russia claiming such numbers, Western pundits would laugh them out of the room. How can you possibly compete with a country that can raise 260k fully trained and combat capable men per year?

They go on to relay that Ukraine is incapable of training anything larger than company size on their own territorya fact we've long knowndue to fear of Russian precision strikes wiping out the entire muster. So they're forced to train abroad, but the training there is often expedited and insufficient; for instance only 5 weeks long, whereas:
Quote:

This is not sufficient to prepare soldiers for offensive operations. During the Second World War, British infantry would receive over 20 weeks of training before they were considered basically proficient and the U.S. Army operated with 13-17 weeks of basic training. We must therefore develop our training packages to better prepare our Ukrainian partners for offensive operations.

It's merely churlish at this point to pretend Russia's military isn't vastly stronger today than at the outset and that the UFA are absolutely desperate to sustain manpower by any means possible including extradition of refugees from EU countries and forced conscription of women.

The non-obstinately obtuse consensus among our news followers/people who do care about Ukraine is that this war has been disproportionately devastating to Ukrainians and needs to end;

The people have moved away from the turtle on Saint Z:

Rob Campbell's weekly R v. U update is worth a check for those who can handle information/analyses they dislike. In particular the Ze vs. Za soap opera seems to be indicative of a preferred shift in casting:

Quote:

Ze v Za (continued)
The friction between Zelensky and Zaluzhny continued this week as the latter criticised the former for dismissing military commissars in the summer (allegedly for corruption).

These people 'were professionals', Zaluzhny said, 'they knew how to do it (i.e. mobilisation), but now they are gone", Zaluzhny lamented. These dismissals have undermined the recruitment drive, he complained. Zaluzhny was also annoyed by the discovery of a 'bug' in his office which shows that the Intelligence services have been spying on him. Alexander Mercouris discusses it here at the beginning of the video.

In a recent press interview Zelensky said: 'I have a working relationship with Zaluzhny. It is an honour to be commander-in-chief, and it is an honour to be president'.

Coup Coming?

There have been a number of rumours on Telegram channels highlighting the increasing tension between Ukraine's political administration and its military as the apparent conflict between Ze and Za indicates. On the 19th December, I saw a reportclaiming that the SBU recorded the voice of Ukrainian General Timoshenko (not sure if he's related to the famous Russian General) which was critical of the offensive policies adopted by Z. The General is alleged to have said:
Quote:

Either we will continue to attempt offensive actions with tens, hundreds of thousands of corpses. Or we will force the president to think the way the general staff, the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine needs it. In a couple of months, or whatever is the maximum, we will lose all reserves.
'Forcing the president to think' the way the general staff thinks sounds a bit ominous but subsequently, Z announced that he will be taking to the defensive. Whether or not Z changed his mind after being threatened is impossible to judge. The article doesn't say when the SBU are supposed to have recorded this.

Z Tells Whoppers

Zelensky is telling anyone who will listen that Russia has not taken a single village in a year.
Ag with kids
AG
fka ftc said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

The irony is palatable.

How many books have you read by Russian authors on communism? Have you read Mein Kampf?

We still live in an information controlled world, this very thread is fantastic evidence of that.

Discrediting non-standard and foreign news sources, shouting down those discussing "another perspective" by calling people Putin puppets, comrades and Ivans.

So yea, the irony is well present, though with the folks involved I would not term it palatable. Its instead quite sad and disgusting.
Hey, Russia is free to write fan fiction.

And you're free to gobble it up.

But, it's not like centuries ago when we ONLY had Russia's version.

So, carry on.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Ag with kids said:

fka ftc said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

The irony is palatable.

So, carry on.

Dude, seriously get a grip. Nortex is citing PRO NATO sources. Its over
fka ftc
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

So, carry on.

Festivus miracles aside, they seem to pretty directly state that only allowed US propaganda contains truth and that anything from Russia is "fan fiction", which was sort of the point that was being made to them.
Teslag
AG
Quote:

military isn't vastly stronger today than at the outset

"Weaker" Russian military in early 2022 advances from Russia to the outskirts of Kiev in weeks.

"Stronger" Russian military in late 2023 struggles to take an abandoned village of 9,000 and is caught in a stalemate.

Carry on.
Teslag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

fka ftc said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

The irony is palatable.

So, carry on.

Not quite. He citied a pro Russian source that selectively quoted a western source. And you blindly believed all of it.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

fka ftc said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ag with kids said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

The irony is palatable.

So, carry on.

Not quite. He citied a pro Russian source that selectively quoted a western source. And you blindly believed all of it.

Same thing applies to you: get a grip. Even Nortex is citing pro nato sources now because one by one they're taking their heads out of the sand.
Teslag
AG
No, he's not. Carry on.
Teslag
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/23/world/europe/putin-russia-ukraine-war-cease-fire.html

Poor Putin. Starting to realize he just can't throw bodies at the problem.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/23/world/europe/putin-russia-ukraine-war-cease-fire.html

This is the same website that declared Putin the winner of 2023. You still haven't told me where they ranked Z.
Teslag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Teslag said:

This is the same website that declared Putin the winner of 2023. You still haven't told me where they ranked Z.

It was an opinion piece in the WSJ that declared Putin a winner in 2023, not the NYT
nortex97
AG
Teslag
AG
Putin is infinitely worse than everyone in that picture
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Russia got bigger again today. Uke continued to atrophy. They were lying when they said Uke could win. They are still lying when they call it a stalemate. Merry Christmas Eve to all.
Teslag
AG
Ukes shot down another SU34 today leaving Russia stronger right?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Teslag said:

Ukes shot down another SU34 today leaving Russia stronger right?

Why do some Aggies cling to moral victories so much?
First Page Last Page
Page 136 of 261

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.