Don't Ban Gas-stoves

14,295 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TChaney
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The best references we got were from propane companies. Most had a contact they used to do exactly what you are wanting.
CDUB98
AG
Manhattan said:

Hungry Ojos said:

zagman said:

Manhattan said:

Nomenclature said:

Point 1: you're excluding yourself from label "Freedom lover."
I do not love people having the freedom to inflict harm on their children...
Weird from someone who supports killing children.

Abortion Law Confusion Leads to Sepsis for Texas Woman
Mothers against Greg Abbott abortion ad - Page 4 | TexAgs

Owned.

As I have said repeatedly, I don't support abortion, I support a woman's right to get an abortion so 10 year old rape victims aren't forced to give birth and women can have access to life saving healthcare before they are bleeding out.

Thus, you support babies being killed.
Maybe Next Year
AG
Manhattan said:

Hungry Ojos said:

zagman said:

Manhattan said:

Nomenclature said:

Owned.

As I have said repeatedly, I don't support abortion, I support a woman's right to get an abortion so 10 year old rape victims aren't forced to give birth and women can have access to life saving healthcare before they are bleeding out.

As I have said repeatedly, I don't support stoning gays, I support Islam's right to practice their religion freely"
Charpie
AG
And 30 years ago, I might agree with this argument. However, gas is cheaper than electric, plus the infrastructure of houses is way safer than gas. Think about those gas fireplaces that saved so many people during snowmagedon.

How about this, why don't you stop treading on me? I don't have a kid at home and should feel free to do as I please in my home.
Get Off My Lawn
Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Sea Speed said:

Teslag said:

Those are fair. But could be solved with wider adoption. What about actually cooking?

Electric blows for cooking, but that is personal preference. Electric is much harder to dial in certain Temps imo, and when you get it too hot it doesn't cool down quickly unlike gas which is near instantaneous.

That's true for traditional electric, not induction. Induction is instantaneous like gas. It can also be dialed in to the degree. It's clear you have no idea what induction electric even is.
Whos moving goal posts now? Induction limits your cookware. Glass cooktops break. Basic thermodynamics say laundering heat energy through electricity is less efficient than using it directly. Excess natural gas production makes it cheap here. You can roast/toast with open flame in a way you can't without. Optionality / redundancy.

Electricity is great - but you're just being a ***** when badgering others to justify having preferences that don't mirror yours.

Gas transfers 38% of its energy to the food being cooked. Induction is around 80 to 90%. Induction uses magnets to induce heat in the pan itself, it's not transferred like gas or old electric. This is also why heating with induction is so much faster than gas.
You're clearly trolling at this point - intentionally using cherry picked numbers of transferred to food vs transfer to pan and intentionally ignoring electrical generation and transmission losses as well.

It's not cherry picking. It's related to the fundamental different methods of heating. Induction uses magnets to induce heat in the actual cookware. The cookware itself is what gets hot and generates heat. That's where the efficiency advantages come into play.
You compared "transferred to food" against "transferred to pan." Yes - that's cherry picking stats and a dishonest comparison.
Manhattan
CDUB98 said:

Manhattan said:

Hungry Ojos said:

zagman said:

Manhattan said:

Nomenclature said:

Owned.

Even if that was true, is your argument really "we can give kids asthma because you support abortion?"
Teslag
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Sea Speed said:

Teslag said:

Those are fair. But could be solved with wider adoption. What about actually cooking?

Electric blows for cooking, but that is personal preference. Electric is much harder to dial in certain Temps imo, and when you get it too hot it doesn't cool down quickly unlike gas which is near instantaneous.

That's true for traditional electric, not induction. Induction is instantaneous like gas. It can also be dialed in to the degree. It's clear you have no idea what induction electric even is.
Whos moving goal posts now? Induction limits your cookware. Glass cooktops break. Basic thermodynamics say laundering heat energy through electricity is less efficient than using it directly. Excess natural gas production makes it cheap here. You can roast/toast with open flame in a way you can't without. Optionality / redundancy.

Electricity is great - but you're just being a ***** when badgering others to justify having preferences that don't mirror yours.

Gas transfers 38% of its energy to the food being cooked. Induction is around 80 to 90%. Induction uses magnets to induce heat in the pan itself, it's not transferred like gas or old electric. This is also why heating with induction is so much faster than gas.
You're clearly trolling at this point - intentionally using cherry picked numbers of transferred to food vs transfer to pan and intentionally ignoring electrical generation and transmission losses as well.

It's not cherry picking. It's related to the fundamental different methods of heating. Induction uses magnets to induce heat in the actual cookware. The cookware itself is what gets hot and generates heat. That's where the efficiency advantages come into play.
You compared "transferred to food" against "transferred to pan." Yes - that's cherry picking stats and a dishonest comparison.

Because in traditional ranges the heat must go from element/burner to pan to food. In induction it goes from pan to food. Induction removes an entire occurrence of heat transfer in the process.
carl spacklers hat
Esteban du Plantier said:

AggieCo2023 said:

While I and many of my left leaning friends

By left leaning, you mean poor and renting an apartment.

Zero people with money that actually like cooking would ever choose an electric range.
This is a fact. You want to tell me you don't cook without telling me you don't cook? Tell me you use an electric range. I'll keep my Garland gas range and the Libs can f--k right off.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
agracer
AG

AggieCo2023 said:

Zero people with money that actually like cooking would ever choose an electric range.

Induction cooktop FTW!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Amazing amount of overreach being considered here. When we bought our current house, it had an electric range and we actually had a gas line run to the spot so we could replace it. House had gas water heaters and heat, so we were baffled why they didn't split off a line for the stove; the connection into the house and one of the water heaters was close. Electric sucks
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
When we did our death house remodel, the ONLY thing I was adamant about was getting rid of the POS electric cooktop. My five burner cuts my cooking time significantly. If I had to go back, I'd quit cooking.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
jefe95
AG
Vaccines

Electric cars

Inductions cooktops.

You are truly a progressive champion of the people.
carl spacklers hat
Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Sea Speed said:

Teslag said:

Just make sure you have the right kind of cookware, you know, since not all cookware works with induction. Personally, I'd prefer to keep my gas range and existing cookware rather than pissing away money unnecessarily to appease a baseless lefty boogeyman.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Get Off My Lawn
Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Sea Speed said:

Teslag said:

Because in traditional ranges the heat must go from element/burner to pan to food. In induction it goes from pan to food. Induction removes an entire occurrence of heat transfer in the process.
Stuff like this is why you keep hooking me in - I can't tell if you're playing dumb.

Inductive pans don't pass all their energy to food either. They radiate excess heat just like a pan over gas. When you compare transfer to food against transfer to pan you're comparing apples and oranges.

In the chain of energy your numbers compare the bolded:

Gas: Burner > Pan > Food
Indiction: Burner > Boiler > Turbine > Transmission > Coil > Pan > Food
BadMoonRisin
AG
Oh please. You had no opinion about this until the talking points came out on Monday.

And congrats on whatever apartment you are renting having a ****ty electric stove. You didnt switch **** years ago, you were still living with your parents.
duffelpud
AG
Psycho Bunny said:

Clean electric stove tops? Really! You do know, that there is no such thing as clean electric.

You want "clean" cook your food on an open fire, from a tree, that you had to cut down with an ax.

"What's this button do?"
Smudge
AG
I have a hard rule never to agree with anything AOC says. It's right 100% of the time. Her sources are a Vox article from 2020.

Class of '00
Gig 'em!
Smudge
AG
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
TexasRebel
AG

The only way to cook.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If she's right, then her parents must have held her head over their gas stove for most of her childhood.
2aggiesmom

AggieCo2023 said:

This is actually incorrect. I love to cook. I cook at least one meal every single day. I do not cook on a gas cooktop. I purposely choose a high-end induction cooktop when we remolded our kitchen. While we do not have small children, we have two dogs , one of which occasionally likes to counter surf. My cooktop is four years old , but looks new. It is a sheet of glass with no knobs and no metal boarder. It does not get hot enough to burn food to the surface. It heats up the pan immediately and boils a huge pot of water in mins. I can keep food warm on a low simmer because their are almost infinite heat level options. It is super easy to clean. I would rather spend my time cooking than cleaning.

For the record, I am very conservative. I like gas stoves over regular electric stove , just not as much as my induction cooktop. I have had every type in my over 50 years of cooking. Nothing is as easy to keep looking clean and beautiful as induction. True you cannot use the fire to do a regular flamb or roast a pepper over an open flame, but beyond that my stove is super functional.
i-miss-the-republic
This is some seriously stupid sh#t. Say it out loud: "Let's ban gas stoves and heating." How can anyone be that frigging stupid, irrespective of your politics? Ugh.
captkirk
AG
Manhattan said:

I am against it, but if the "13% of childhood asthma is caused by gas stoves" is true then maybe we should look into it.
Do you honestly believe that?
Manhattan
Nuclear Fusion/Sun/1AU/Solar Panel/Battery/Home Wiring/Induction/Pan/Food
Manhattan
captkirk said:

Manhattan said:

I am against it, but if the "13% of childhood asthma is caused by gas stoves" is true then maybe we should look into it.

"Then maybe we should look into it"
Sea Speed
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Amazing amount of overreach being considered here. When we bought our current house, it had an electric range and we actually had a gas line run to the spot so we could replace it. House had gas water heaters and heat, so we were baffled why they didn't split off a line for the stove; the connection into the house and one of the water heaters was close. Electric sucks

I did this too. Had to bust up the foundation to run the line, but that is how important having gas was to me. Electric can EAD
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Sea Speed said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

when we bought our home, it was all electric. There is no gas utility available. We added a propane tank and line so we could install a propane stove.

I have never liked cooking on an electric stove.

That is what I'm looking at doing at a new house.

On another house we own we split off from the fireplace and put a line in the slab run to the island so we could have a gas stove.

How much did your setup run you, just trying to figure out costs.
It was 17 years ago so I am not sure but I believe it was less than a thousand dollars (not counting the cost of the stove).

I am renting a 250 gallon propane tank which costs $10/month.

I've had to refill the tank 3 times in 17 years at a cost of about $300 each so far. ( I haven't completely filled it each time.)
Tanya 93
Until college, I never cooked on an electric stove.

Gas is always superior
LightningDammitt
AG
Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Sea Speed said:

Teslag said:

It IS cherry picking when you exclude the inefficiency of converting coal/gas and losses due to distribution, to create your "clean" electricity.
LightningDammitt
AG
Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Teslag said:

Sea Speed said:

Teslag said:

Are you actually denying the the pan ansorbs some of the heat from the food (which IS therby an inefficiency AND cherry picking)?
Smudge
AG
Manhattan said:

Nuclear Fusion/Sun/1AU/Solar Panel/Battery/Home Wiring/Induction/Pan/Food

Um, solar panels are not green or efficient. And your battery…

Low information voters.
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
agent-maroon
AG
Smudge said:

I have a hard rule never to agree with anything AOC says. It's right 100% of the time. Her sources are a Vox article from 2020.

NO2 from burning natural gas? This is stupid even by AOC standards of dumbassery.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jrdaustin
AG
captkirk said:

Manhattan said:

I find Manhattan's post on the first page hilarious. The statement on it's face is ridiculous.

The math simply doesn't work. if 13%, or any percent for that matter, is caused by gas stoves, what caused the asthma in households WITHOUT gas stoves? Per a quick look at John's Hopkins website...

"The exact cause of asthma is not known. Researchers think it is partially passed down through families. But it can also be caused by many other things such as the environment, infections and other exposures, like tobacco smoke."

Now, there can be many triggers to an asthma episode: Pollen, second hand smoke, physical activity, viral infections, and yes, potentially NOx or N2O as a result of burning a gas stove. But a CAUSE???? And 13% of all asthma? What a foolish assertion.

It is simply an unprovable assertion from a study funded by a group that want to eliminate fossil fuels. Nothing more. They rely on the ambiguity (can't be proved - can't be unproved) to try to push a narrative. Classic democrat playbook...

As I heard last night, even drinking water can be fatal. It's called drowning.
et98
AG
What other people do in the privacy of their own homes has nothing to do with me.

Freedom is easy when you learn to mind your own business.
Smudge
AG
Manhattan said:

CDUB98 said:

Manhattan said:

Hungry Ojos said:

zagman said:

Manhattan said:

Nomenclature said:

Owned.

Even if that was true, is your argument really "we can give kids asthma because you support abortion?"

Nope. He's simply pointing out hypocrisy. There is literally no provable data regarding asthma and natural gas. Claims to want to protect kids (from asthma in this case) yet support abortion. He's saying both are ridiculous and loaded with hypocrisy.
Class of '00
Gig 'em!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.