University of Idaho - 4 college students murdered

464,947 Views | 3565 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Guitarsoup
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
OldArmy71 said:

It took me a minute to realize what the EX was:

E=Sigma

X=Chi

*Actchually guy* E is Epsilon. Sigma is the pointy E.
OldArmy71
AG
What the other poster was pointing out was that the cameraman was emphasizing the location of the Sigma Chi fraternity house. The poster used EX to convey the sign, since Texags won't display a Sigma sign.
SW AG80
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

He knew them well enough to know the house and surrounding areas. He is a neighbor, whether in one of the homes, apartments, or fraternity house. He knows lights that don't work, icy drives, steep hill, crunchy terrain. He had planned this for some time/premeditated.
That this guy found a glove on the perimeter by a trash can, blows my mind. Cinder block was very interesting. PERPETRATOR KNEW THEM WELL.
Since it appears there is no suspect, I will go with an educated guess involving probabilities. It is not unheard of but it is rare for a college kid to commit such a crime.

It is more probable that a guy who lives in the area (which would include eastern Washington) or a guy who was in the area working with a construction crew or something of that sort, wondered into a party or 2 or 3 in that house and had contact with one of the girls. Maybe the girl was not too pleasant when she told him to take a hike. Or maybe she went out with him once or twice and he became fixated with her. And she just happened to not be very pleasant with or went out with a guy who is a serial killer. I think this is the more likely scenario.

And if with a traveling construction crew he could be in Arizona now working on a new job.

If I were DA in Moscow, I would have one of my investigators looking at any construction type crews that worked within a 100 mile radius of Moscow and would then be contacting those companies and running criminal histories and work histories on some of their employees. Maybe one of these employees was working in an area 3 years ago where there was a stabbing death of a young girl with no suspects in custody.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Seems POSSIBLE that Goncalves was the target, and the killer found her with her friend, and killed them both. Then perhaps the downstairs two were also killed because they woke up, which would also explain the defensive wounds. So in that scenario, perhaps only Goncalves was the target, and the killer might have only killed her, but then "had to" kill the others.

Just a theory.
Premium
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Seems POSSIBLE that Goncalves was the target, and the killer found her with her friend, and killed them both. Then perhaps the downstairs two were also killed because they woke up, which would also explain the defensive wounds. So in that scenario, perhaps only Goncalves was the target, and the killer might have only killed her, but then "had to" kill the others.

Just a theory.

Just a theory?
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Actually... calling anything I say about this case a "theory" is a reach. More appropriate would be a "thought process from my tiny brain that is probably miles behind everyone else."
fka ftc
my tiny brain is also gravitating this way.
HtownAg92
AG
RiverAg 80 said:

Mark Fairchild said:

He knew them well enough to know the house and surrounding areas. He is a neighbor, whether in one of the homes, apartments, or fraternity house. He knows lights that don't work, icy drives, steep hill, crunchy terrain. He had planned this for some time/premeditated.
That this guy found a glove on the perimeter by a trash can, blows my mind. Cinder block was very interesting. PERPETRATOR KNEW THEM WELL.
Since it appears there is no suspect, I will go with an educated guess involving probabilities. It is not unheard of but it is rare for a college kid to commit such a crime.

It is more probable that a guy who lives in the area (which would include eastern Washington) or a guy who was in the area working with a construction crew or something of that sort, wondered into a party or 2 or 3 in that house and had contact with one of the girls. Maybe the girl was not too pleasant when she told him to take a hike. Or maybe she went out with him once or twice and he became fixated with her. And she just happened to not be very pleasant with or went out with a guy who is a serial killer. I think this is the more likely scenario.

And if with a traveling construction crew he could be in Arizona now working on a new job.

If I were DA in Moscow, I would have one of my investigators looking at any construction type crews that worked within a 100 mile radius of Moscow and would then be contacting those companies and running criminal histories and work histories on some of their employees. Maybe one of these employees was working in an area 3 years ago where there was a stabbing death of a young girl with no suspects in custody.
How do we begin to covet?

We covet what we see every day.

Have they checked any non-student / local bartenders at the places these girls frequented? Maybe he was invited over to a party or two because he had easy access to liquor, but the girls otherwise acted like they were better than him?
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I feel the same.

Cell phone data will probably have the killer in it, but probably not from that night. He'd be smart enough to leave it behind, so they'll be looking for a cell phone that was common there but NOT there that night... problem is, that will be many hundreds if not thousands of phones to check.

I feel for these parents but
W
AG
the police need to get the blood evidence back, so they can figure out who was likely killed first
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
definitely useful, but I still don't think it will provide a quick resolution... unless they already have a suspect and are waiting for the blood/dna to give them an airtight case.

Regardless, I don't think this is going to unwind like a true crime podcast... if this is solved, then one day, out of the blue, they will raid some place with a huge police presence and have the guy in cuffs before the public has a hint of it.

aggiehawg
AG
I'm still hung up on the locks on the interior bedroom doors. Were those doors locked when the other roommates got up Sunday morning, or not? The assumption is that they were locked raising the question of how and who?

Fingerprints on the pad? Even perhaps blood?
PA24
AG
Case is growing cold. I think it is a serial killer passing thru else they would have a suspect within 24 hours.
Corn Pop
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Just a theory.

Wasn't Kaylee already moved out and just came back to visit her best friend? If she was the target the suspect would have to have known she was there just visiting and it wouldn't have been a surprise finding someone else in the bed.
Valtrex_11
PA24 said:

Case is growing cold. I think it is a serial killer passing thru else they would have a suspect within 24 hours.
others have said this and been ridiculed this won't be solved.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Wasn't Kaylee already moved out and just came back to visit her best friend? If she was the target the suspect would have to have known she was there just visiting and it wouldn't have been a surprise finding someone else in the bed.
I'm not sure she was completely moved out but she was at her mother's house when she bought a new car (new to her anyway). Her mother said the original plan was for Kaylee to return on Sunday to the King Road house but went back early after taking delivery of the car to show it to her best friend Maddie. She went back to the house on Friday, IIRC.
Valtrex_11
She was moved out thats why she was sleeping in Maddie's bed
zgolfz85
AG
RiverAg 80 said:

Mark Fairchild said:

these girls seem to be your normal very talkative college girls. I agree that's what it seems like, but feels like we'd have heard something along the lines of a weird guy they dated or weird guy that showed up to parties by now
aggiehawg
AG
degreedy
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Fox interview of several including Kaylee's parents who state wounds are different between Maddie and Kaylee and quite fired up about it. Says didnt have to go up extra stairs which I don't understand in the context of wounds different between these two in the same bed. Logically I can see one getting stabbed first with a fatal wound(s) that wakes up the second who endures multiples of wounds before dying. I really like them and the words he uses. Really sad for all the parents. Need to find this pos asap.

What is up with the video you posted in this comment? Copy the wrong video? Has nothing to do with the case does it?
tk for tu juan
Update from Moscow PD

Quote:

Using tips and leads, investigators have identified an incident involving Kaylee at a local business, which may have been the stalker reference she made to friends and family. In mid-October, two males were seen inside a local business; they parted ways, and one male appeared to follow Kaylee inside the business and as she exited to walk toward her car. The male turned away, and it did not appear he made any contact with her.

Detectives contacted both males and learned the two were attempting to meet women at the business, this was corroborated through additional investigation. Based on available information, detectives believe this was an isolated incident and not an ongoing pattern of stalking. No evidence suggests the two males were involved in the murders.
Investigators continue looking into information about Kaylee having a stalker. Information about a potential stalker or unusual occurrences should go through the Tip Line.
Quote:

There have been numerous requests about the dog found at the residence on the morning of November 13th. Arriving officers entered the residence and found the deceased victims. During the search of the home, a dog was found in a room where the crimes had not been committed. Officers did not find any evidence on the dog and there was no indication the animal had entered the crime scene. The dog was taken to Animal Services and released to a responsible person.
While the dog was in the house when officers arrived, it has not been determined where the dog was physically located when the murders took place.
LisaMarie
AG
PA24 said:

I think calling it cold is very premature. There's so much evidence that's still being processed.
DallasAg 94
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks.

So the killer could have been the one to lock the door as he left.
PA24
AG
My Schlage locks when you shut it.
Valtrex_11
tk for tu juan said:

Update from Moscow PD

Quote:

Using tips and leads, investigators have identified an incident involving Kaylee at a local business, which may have been the stalker reference she made to friends and family. In mid-October, two males were seen inside a local business; they parted ways, and one male appeared to follow Kaylee inside the business and as she exited to walk toward her car. The male turned away, and it did not appear he made any contact with her.

Detectives contacted both males and learned the two were attempting to meet women at the business, this was corroborated through additional investigation. Based on available information, detectives believe this was an isolated incident and not an ongoing pattern of stalking. No evidence suggests the two males were involved in the murders.
Investigators continue looking into information about Kaylee having a stalker. Information about a potential stalker or unusual occurrences should go through the Tip Line.
Quote:

There have been numerous requests about the dog found at the residence on the morning of November 13th. Arriving officers entered the residence and found the deceased victims. During the search of the home, a dog was found in a room where the crimes had not been committed. Officers did not find any evidence on the dog and there was no indication the animal had entered the crime scene. The dog was taken to Animal Services and released to a responsible person.
While the dog was in the house when officers arrived, it has not been determined where the dog was physically located when the murders took place.

so nothing

Also, this is very confusing the way its written.

Quote:

In mid-October, two males were seen inside a local business; they parted ways, and one male appeared to follow Kaylee inside the business and as she exited to walk toward her car. The male turned away, and it did not appear he made any contact with her.
PA24
AG
LisaMarie said:

PA24 said:

I think calling it cold is very premature. There's so much evidence that's still being processed.
I read that most victims know their murderer and the longer (in days not months) it takes to name a suspect, the less likely it will be solved.
SW AG80
AG
That is a possibility.
Line Ate Member
AG
aggiehawg said:

I'm still hung up on the locks on the interior bedroom doors. Were those doors locked when the other roommates got up Sunday morning, or not? The assumption is that they were locked raising the question of how and who?

Fingerprints on the pad? Even perhaps blood?
That would raise questions also.However, I have a room that I lock when I leave it because I have a crazy toddler that gets into everything.

If they were locked, my guess is the killer pushed the button on his way out to give him a bit more time to get away/more time for them to be discovered. Hopefully they dusted ALL of the door knobs.

Edit: nevermind, why would you have that kind of lock on an interior door?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

But apparently they did have those types of locks on the interior doors. One of the girls' father had been up to the house fixing the lock on her door a week or so before.

Go back a couple of pages, I posted a link about that.
Inca
AG
Line Ate Member said:

If you are living in a 6 bedroom house that hosts lots of parties, I can certainly see having that kind of lock on your bedroom door.

But I can't recall if the dad was fixing an interior lock or an exterior lock.
aggiehawg
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

One of the four slain University of Idaho students had her father visit and fix a lock in the house the weekend before she and her friends were brutally murdered, her mother said in a new interview.
Xana Kernodle's father had visited and fixed a lock on the house during a visit the first week of November, her mom Cara Denise Northington told NewsNation Friday.

The distraught mother wasn't sure whether the updated lock was on the Moscow home's front door or on Kernodle's bedroom each of the six bedrooms has its own coded lock but was certain Kernodle's father had tinkered with one just before the quadruple murder.
Quote:

The locks may be a clue as to who the killer could be, Northington said.

"I think they knew them," Northington said of her daughter's killer. "I think they may have even been friends with them. I think it had to have been somebody close to them to have been able to get away with it like this."
LINK

So can anyone explain how these interior coded locks work?
Here's the story and link I posted before.
tk for tu juan
The interior coded locks wouldn't be a deadbolt like shown above, it would be a door handle with push buttons above the handle. They have a master code that overrides any code, and also usually have a keyhole to bypass using the buttons. Locks are also easy defeated if the person on the other side opens the door to check on a sound or footsteps coming down the stairs.
fka ftc
tk for tu juan said:

The interior coded locks wouldn't be a deadbolt like shown above, it would be a door handle with push buttons above the handle. They have a master code that overrides any code, and also usually have a keyhole to bypass using the buttons. Locks are also easy defeated if the person on the other side opens the door to check on a sound or footsteps coming down the stairs.
Typically referred to as cipher locks and come in about an infinite variety.

Not sure if has been brought up, but are the leases for each roommate individually? As in you rent the room and share a common area (Melrose Apartments had this setup 25 years ago when I was wrapping up).

Maybe the landlord used these instead of trying to keep up with keys?
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.