University of Idaho - 4 college students murdered

486,638 Views | 3608 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by VP at Pierce and Pierce
flakrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jabin said:

Truvada said:

W said:

I would not give up hope yet.

it will heavily come down to the collection of blood evidence and DNA testing. That will provide more clues and information about the crime.

if the killer left behind any DNA...and is of European descent...genealogy mapping will have a chance to identify them

if he hasn't been arrested before on in the database DNA testing will not help here you been watching too much CSI
It could if a relative has had their DNA tested. They've closed several cold cases by zeroing in on the bad guy through relatives' DNA.

The BTK killer was caught this way
https://people.com/crime/btk-killer-daughter-dna-led-to-arrest/
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
BTK was caught because he was a dumbass and didn't know how computers worked. Well that and he believed the cops when they told him they could trust him.
The cops wouldn't have even known to collect his family's DNA if he hadn't sent that disk.
Truvada
They did DNA tests in the Napa murders that only got solved because the killer turned himself in.
one safe place
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Late in the morning Nov. 13, the two surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call was made from inside the residence on one of the surviving roommates' cellphone. Multiple people talked with the 911 dispatcher before a Moscow police officer arrived at the location. None of the people present for the 911 call is suspected in the crime. Officers entered the residence and found the four victims on the second and third floors.
This really bugs me. What about the other three people in two bedrooms. If they were pounding on the door trying to wake one up wouldn't they notice that no one else got up?

Good point. Have you seen any reason given as to why they felt one of the victims has passed out and was not waking up? It was a Sunday morning and I would guess sleeping in for partying college students wouldn't be unusual. Was the victim late for work, church, or something like that? I would figure someone would have tried to open the door if worried enough to call 911 but apparently did not. I suppose it was locked but I would have gotten in if I feared for a roommate's well being to the point of calling 911. And it seems strange that multiple people would have spoken with the 911 dispatcher when the only thing that alarmed them was the thought that someone passed out. Would seem to me that one person is all that would be needed to report the situation to 911.
MsDoubleD81
AG
My thoughts exactly about the others not waking up if they thought only 1 was unconscious. Did they maybe think the others were already up and left the house?

And the surveillance videos, should look for earlier. Possibly the perp got in the house and hid.

Also wondered why the couple only stayed at the frat party for an hour. What did they do between 9 pm and 1:00 am?
aggiehawg
AG
one safe place said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Late in the morning Nov. 13, the two surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call was made from inside the residence on one of the surviving roommates' cellphone. Multiple people talked with the 911 dispatcher before a Moscow police officer arrived at the location. None of the people present for the 911 call is suspected in the crime. Officers entered the residence and found the four victims on the second and third floors.
This really bugs me. What about the other three people in two bedrooms. If they were pounding on the door trying to wake one up wouldn't they notice that no one else got up?

Good point. Have you seen any reason given as to why they felt one of the victims has passed out and was not waking up? It was a Sunday morning and I would guess sleeping in for partying college students wouldn't be unusual. Was the victim late for work, church, or something like that? I would figure someone would have tried to open the door if worried enough to call 911 but apparently did not. I suppose it was locked but I would have gotten in if I feared for a roommate's well being to the point of calling 911. And it seems strange that multiple people would have spoken with the 911 dispatcher when the only thing that alarmed them was the thought that someone passed out. Would seem to me that one person is all that would be needed to report the situation to 911.
College students can be goofy but these were all people who were early 20s. If they were out until nearly 2 AM, I would imagine church or work on a Sunday was not a factor.
Smeghead4761
And the courts have yet to pronounce on the legality of such dragnets.
Premium
AG
Who would ever call 911 for someone being "perhaps" passed out without first getting into the room to find out, Seems extremely odd.
aggiehawg
AG
Premium said:

Who would ever call 911 for someone being "perhaps" passed out without first getting into the room to find out, Seems extremely odd.
Maybe she had a medical condition? Subject to seizures?
Smeghead4761
aggiehawg said:

Premium said:

I don't know if they come in from 911 or not, but A&M PD gets plenty of "welfare concern" call simply for dorm residents who aren't responding to phone calls or messages.
aggiepanic95
AG
Agree that DNA was not a factor in catching BTK. Believe, however, that the Golden State Killer was captured through DNA family tracing.
aggiehawg
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

aggiehawg said:

Premium said:

I don't know if they come in from 911 or not, but A&M PD gets plenty of "welfare concern" call simply for dorm residents who aren't responding to phone calls or messages.
We just threw people into a cold shower.

ETA: A few times it was me being thrown into the shower.
Truvada
aggiepanic95 said:

Agree that DNA was not a factor in catching BTK. Believe, however, that the Golden State Killer was captured through DNA family tracing.
Thats because he raped his victims no rapes here.
jopatura
AG
one safe place said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I've read that Xana had a friend that came over for brunch most Sundays. Friend came over and couldn't get into Xana's room/Xana wasn't answering her phone. Conferred with the other roommates who called Ethan's triplet brother looking for Xana (and Ethan?). I assume they could probably hear the cell phones ringing in the room. Various people came over from the fraternity with Ethan's brother thinking it was an OD of some sort (what was being passed around the party the night before?).

The other two murdered roommates weren't at the frat party the night before and who knows how involved they were in Sunday brunch. They might not have been missed as quick as Xana.
aggiepanic95
AG
Truvada said:

aggiepanic95 said:

Thats because he raped his victims no rapes here.
Understand the MOs were different, but we don't know that they don't have the killers DNA. Obviously a very messy scene.
W
AG
Truvada said:

W said:

it will heavily come down to the collection of blood evidence and DNA testing. That will provide more clues and information about the crime.

if the killer left behind any DNA...and is of European descent...genealogy mapping will have a chance to identify them

if he hasn't been arrested before on in the database DNA testing will not help here you been watching too much CSI
it has nothing to do with CSI. You need to add some depth to your thinking.

in a nutshell...if the killer has green or blue eyes (i.e. European descent) and left some DNA behind on the scene...genealogy mapping has a chance.

80 to 90% of European genetic mapping is complete according to the experts. Especially western and northern Europe.

if the killer is hispanic or black or asian...then the genealogy mapping will probably not help.

it all depends if the killer was smart enough to wear gloves and a mask...and not allow himself to be scratched or cut during the attacks
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I've read that Xana had a friend that came over for brunch most Sundays. Friend came over and couldn't get into Xana's room/Xana wasn't answering her phone. Conferred with the other roommates who called Ethan's triplet brother looking for Xana (and Ethan?). I assume they could probably hear the cell phones ringing in the room. Various people came over from the fraternity with Ethan's brother thinking it was an OD of some sort (what was being passed around the party the night before?).

The other two murdered roommates weren't at the frat party the night before and who knows how involved they were in Sunday brunch. They might not have been missed as quick as Xana.
Okay that makes more sense. Thanks for posting.

Watched an interview with Kaylee's Dad, brother and sister. Her sister (the one who has been a lot of sleuthing on her own) was adamant that Kaylee and Madison did not get home at 1:45, it was 1:56 AM. If she is in fact correct, that 11 minute difference could matter a lot.

If Xana and Ethan got home at 1:45AM and went to bed. It could well be that one of them was the target.

That's why it seems odd that the PD are narrowing the time frame for surveillance tape from 3AM to 6AM. It is very possible the intruder(s) entered well before then. There is a substantial period of time between 9PM when supposedly Xana and Ethan left the frat party and getting back to the residence on King at 1:45. If something had happened during the frat party that played some role, plenty of time for someone to get into the house and hide, waiting for them or him?
bonfarr
AG
Truvada said:

W said:

Not necessarily, If the killer has someone in their family tree that has submitted DNA on a genealogy website like 23 and me then that would narrow things down considerably. Quite a few cold cases have been solved in this manner over the last few years.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I saw a Dateline or 48 Hours where just with the DNA, they were able to come up with a photo of what the suspect may look like. It was pretty close to a couple cases. They also ran a profile of the host Andrea Canning I think. Didn't tell the profiler expert who it was for and it came out pretty darn close.
torrid
AG
bonfarr said:

Truvada said:

W said:

Not necessarily, If the killer has someone in their family tree that has submitted DNA on a genealogy website like 23 and me then that would narrow things down considerably. Quite a few cold cases have been solved in this manner over the last few years.
Several innocent people have been persecuted too over partial DNA matches to relatives they didn't even know they had.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Two of the victims were sleeping on the second floor, and two were on the third, but police have not confirmed whom was found where or whether the bedroom doors were locked after the slayings.
Hmm. So maybe some doors were locked and others not locked?

Quote:

"We have not released any of that information," Snell said. "We believe that's pertinent to the investigation. There's a lot of questions surrounding that, and we recognize that, and we want to provide that information when we can but at this point in the investigation, we can't."
Quote:

Multiple 911 callers alerted authorities around noon on Nov. 13, and officers initially arrived in response to a report of an unconscious person. They found four victims dead inside.
Poorly worded? Multiple people on the same call? Or multiple 911 calls?

Quote:

Authorities and the property manager have not confirmed whose bedrooms were where. Mogen's boots were visible on the upper-level window alongside a pink letter "M," suggesting that she occupied the third floor.

Goncalves' family told Fox News last week that she and Mogen were very close, like sisters.
Quote:

John Kelly, a criminal profiler and psychotherapist with experience interviewing serial killers, said that due to the lack of publicly available details, he's "up in the air" about whether the attacker was a random stalker or someone familiar with the inside of the home.

But one thing is clear, he said. "He really, really is a savage, with no concern or empathy or anything like that," he told Fox News Digital.
LINK
one safe place
aggiehawg said:

one safe place said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

College students can be goofy but these were all people who were early 20s. If they were out until nearly 2 AM, I would imagine church or work on a Sunday was not a factor.
Two were 20 and two were 21. Maybe I am looking at it from a guy standpoint, but way past that age (mid 20s) we were often up past 2am or 3am and up for work, with just a couple hours of sleep. Not every night of course, but not uncommon. They are all out late but yet were worried about one of them not being up. I'd figure that unless she had something specific going on, you let them sleep until they decide to get up. But perhaps the other poster is correct about the brunch thing.
suburban cowboy
AG
If one of the victim's parents was mixed up in drug trafficking, thoughts on this being a skilled hitman for whomever said parent may have wronged?
one safe place
jopatura said:

one safe place said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Good information, thanks, certainly could be the answer to one of my questions. Never thought about them calling her and hearing her phone ringing inside her room but her not responding. That would be cause for worry, particulary a possible OD. Still wonder why so many people would be on the 911 call.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
So the victims were killed then the killer locked the door from inside the bedroom and escaped through a window?
Sea Speed
AG
You can lock a lot of doors and then walk out and shut them behind you. No need to climb out a window.
fka ftc
Sea Speed said:

You can lock a lot of doors and then walk out and shut them behind you. No need to climb out a window.
True, but that tends to leave a lot of blood as you make the way through the house.

Could the murderer have entered AND left through windows or maybe sliding glass door, hits the 2 in 2nd floor room, out the window that was pointed to in question, in and out through upstairs windows?

Would provide answers for dog, why the 2 other residents were not awaken, why they did not notice any blood and made the assumption friend was passed out and unresponsive, which then leads to calling friends first then 911.

I mean, blood was apparently dripping out on the foundation and stabbing 4 people to death can get... messy. I do not think you could stab 4 people and be walking around the house and not leave a tremendous amount of blood that would have caused the roommates to make an unresponsive assumption and not an immediate scream for their lives and run out of the premises, particularly if it was now daylight outside.
Sea Speed
AG
Dog isn't gonna care people come over at a party house. It shows how far removed yall are from college.
fka ftc
aggiehawg said:

That man looking out the window looks like the county prosecutor to me, incorrectly designated as FBI.
Take a closer look at this. The guy in pic through window looks younger and has less puffy cheeks and much darker eyebrows compared to the pic you posted.

Not sure it matters, but I was going back to compare. This one's strange.

Related to my post above, maybe this is more of a predator if they took steps to avoid detection vs entering and exiting through most logical / convenient.
fka ftc
I think the dog is slightly interesting and worth a mention but not more than that.

Police interviews would have determined rather quickly if the dogs behavior would have been unusual or not.
AggieAces06
AG
They've said that the "drip" down the foundation was heating oil, not blood. Or at least, I've read that earlier in this thread.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Block it!!!!
aginlakeway
AG
Achane back in.
aggiehawg
AG
AggieAces06 said:

They've said that the "drip" down the foundation was heating oil, not blood. Or at least, I've read that earlier in this thread.
I was trying to calculate that possible blood flow and how that might happen. Numbers were not adding up.

But having lived up north, that's not heating oil coming out of dripping down the foundation. Not saying it is blood, just saying heating oil is unlikely.
Valtrex_11
lol cartel hits? Blood dripping down the foundation? this thread has jumped the shark
First Page Last Page
Page 9 of 104

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.