University of Idaho - 4 college students murdered

478,444 Views | 3581 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Not Coach Jimbo
2aggiesmom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aust Ag said:

fka ftc said:

cslifer said:

Why would the dog be a big deal at this point? It has to go somewhere, sounds like animal control turned him over to the right person.
My dog barks when people they do not know are moving around the house at night. Its not guaranteed, but it works 100% when the Amazon guy approaches the front door on an overnight delivery.

It is also somewhat indicative of how serious their relationship was as they co-parented the dog.
This is what I was wondering, most dogs start barking at intruders....unless it's someone they know.
My dogs bark when anyone comes in, even if they know them. They are Australian Shepherds so they are very protective.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
2aggiesmom said:

Aust Ag said:

fka ftc said:

cslifer said:

Why would the dog be a big deal at this point? It has to go somewhere, sounds like animal control turned him over to the right person.
My dog barks when people they do not know are moving around the house at night. Its not guaranteed, but it works 100% when the Amazon guy approaches the front door on an overnight delivery.

It is also somewhat indicative of how serious their relationship was as they co-parented the dog.
This is what I was wondering, most dogs start barking at intruders....unless it's someone they know.
My dogs bark when anyone comes in, even if they know them. They are Australian Shepherds so they are very protective.

Mine is in a kennel and barely gives a damn in there unless were pet sitting and then she doesn't want to be forgotten when people come home.
LisaMarie
AG
I think on the subreddit someone made the excellent point that the kids' house could have been busy, with lots of parties and people coming and going often. A dog in that type of environment might be extremely used to random people in and out of the house and wouldn't bat an eye at an intruder. I think people are stuck too much on the dog. Not all dogs bark or guard their houses.
aggiehawg
AG
Good point.
PanzerAggie06
AG
LisaMarie said:

I think on the subreddit someone made the excellent point that the kids' house could have been busy, with lots of parties and people coming and going often. A dog in that type of environment might be extremely used to random people in and out of the house and wouldn't bat an eye at an intruder. I think people are stuck too much on the dog. Not all dogs bark or guard their houses.
We have three dogs. And they are all over the map in how they react to people entering our house. There are times when they lose their damn minds when someone comes over. Then there are times when they don't event lift their heads to take notice of visitors. That a dog in this home did not react to someone is not remotely surprising. And, as these were all college kids they very well could have been passed out after a night of heavy drinking and would not have heard a bomb go off let alone a barking dog.
one safe place
I would think almost any dog that lived in a house full of 18-22 year old college students, with them coming and going, with friends of theirs coming and going, would become pretty chill and less protective than it might otherwise be if it was living in a house with only a person or two.
Pinochet11
lol y'all still talking abut the dog like it will help solve this case ? The killer long gone they won't solve this crime they would have made an affect by now if they had any decent evidence or suspect
I am always wrong
Based on everything I've read, I think it's probably the pissed off guy at the food truck. I think the cops publicly announced that he was cleared in the hopes that he would relax and not suspect anything while they wait for DNA to come back. That's my $0.02.
IDaggie06
AG
Pinochet11 said:

lol y'all still talking abut the dog like it will help solve this case ? The killer long gone they won't solve this crime they would have made an affect by now if they had any decent evidence or suspect
i think they will find him. may take a while, but police will put tons of effort into this case for a long time.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
This is at least the second time you've made this claim.

I'll bet you everything I own they catch the responsible party/parties.

You watch too much TV. Not everything gets wrapped up in a bow in "the first 48" and they're clearly holding back evidence recovered and leads being chased from the public. It's been two weeks. Give it some more time.
txaggie_08
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

This is at least the second time you've made this claim.

I'll bet you everything I own they catch the responsible party/parties.

You watch too much TV. Not everything gets wrapped up in a bow in "the first 48" and they're clearly holding back evidence recovered and leads being chased from the public. It's been two weeks. Give it some more time.

Kind of hard to say if they're holding back much. You'd think they might be, but that police force is inexperienced in any situation remotely similar to this, and they took a while bringing in help. It seemed their thoughts/ knowledge of the situation changed quite a bit that first few days from what they thought they knew. Just makes me wonder what they may have missed in those first critical hours.

That, and people posting about the other unsolved knife attacks makes me wonder whether or not they'll be able to tie someone to it. You've just got to hope the killer left some clue of dna behind.
doubledog
My best guess (and guesses is all we have) is this was a crime of passion. The flip is the killer hit the wrong house and in a fit of paranoia killed everyone in it.

This would be a difficult to solve crime... No connections to the victims, no motive (for these victims), believable alibi.

fka ftc
I was still waking up, but I believe last night or this morning one of the fathers (Gonclaces?) was indicating one of the 4 victims was the target and the other 3 were collateral.

I pointed out the mention, or lack thereof, regarding the dog. Its interesting and may be totally inconsequential. On the other hand, it reinforces them not considering the ex bf a suspect if there is no issue with the dog being placed with him, If the family / friends suspected him, I would think they would have fought to keep the dog.

Regarding Pinochet >> Anytime someone says "lol y'all still talking" or "people on here" etc then I expect a bigoted statement or in this case a poor, hot take is inbound. You can have your hot take, but why do a written laugh and act like you know it all? Shameful.
PanzerAggie06
AG
fka ftc said:

I was still waking up, but I believe last night or this morning one of the fathers (Gonclaces?) was indicating one of the 4 victims was the target and the other 3 were collateral.

I pointed out the mention, or lack thereof, regarding the dog. Its interesting and may be totally inconsequential. On the other hand, it reinforces them not considering the ex bf a suspect if there is no issue with the dog being placed with him, If the family / friends suspected him, I would think they would have fought to keep the dog.

Regarding Pinochet >> Anytime someone says "lol y'all still talking" or "people on here" etc then I expect a bigoted statement or in this case a poor, hot take is inbound. You can have your hot take, but why do a written laugh and act like you know it all? Shameful.
Outside of a serial killer this is the most likely scenario. One of the four was the target and the other three were caught up in the insanity.
fka ftc
100% where I am at on this, with a heavy lean for targeted rage killing a la the Napa Halloween murders.
Pinochet11
yall are crazy in high profile case like this if you have shred of a suspect or evidence you make arrest they have nothing.

Even if they do make an arrest good luck in court with the comprised crime scene.
Pinochet11
fka ftc said:

100% where I am at on this, with a heavy lean for targeted rage killing a la the Napa Halloween murders.
Napa case only solved because the perp turned himself in authorities had no clue...

Look at the Midolothian murder they have the perp on tape and its still unsolved about 10 years later.
rynning
AG
I read they have about 150 pieces of evidence. Do we know what that is? DNA, footprints, fingerprints, video?
fka ftc
Pinochet11 said:

yall are crazy in high profile case like this if you have shred of a suspect or evidence you make arrest they have nothing.

Even if they do make an arrest good luck in court with the comprised crime scene.
I always find this hubris entertaining" "y'all are crazy...you make arrest... they have nothing"

Then follow it up that court will be a mess with an unsubstantiated claim out of left field that the crime scene was "compromised".

Me thinks you know very, very little regarding this case, compromised crime scenes, investigative techniques, and prosecutorial strategy.

Its quite possible they have a suspect and would like to firm up somethings or finish their analysis of evidence. Its quite possible they have no idea who the suspect is or where to look for them. If you know otherwise, give Moscow police a call and let them know.

As others have mentioned, don't watch the ID channel and think you are suddenly the next Lt. Joe Kenda.
aggiehawg
AG
rynning said:

I read they have about 150 pieces of evidence. Do we know what that is? DNA, footprints, fingerprints, video?
The way it was described was 103 pieces of evidence, 4,000 photos, 3D mapping of the crime scene, adding cell phone pings and wi-fi connections within the house when those become available (FBI and state police gathered that.)

The 103 pieces of evidence would be blood samples and swatches, some from on scene some taken during autopsy. Maybe some trace evidence from sheets and bedclothes such as hair or fibers. Photographic evidence would include potential shoe prints and perhaps a casting if in mud outside of the house. Maybe they have some fingerprints but if they do, no apparent match with the fed database as that would have popped by now.
Pinochet11
fka ftc said:

Pinochet11 said:

I always find this hubris entertaining" "y'all are crazy...you make arrest... they have nothing"

Then follow it up that court will be a mess with an unsubstantiated claim out of left field that the crime scene was "compromised".

Me thinks you know very, very little regarding this case, compromised crime scenes, investigative techniques, and prosecutorial strategy.

Its quite possible they have a suspect and would like to firm up somethings or finish their analysis of evidence. Its quite possible they have no idea who the suspect is or where to look for them. If you know otherwise, give Moscow police a call and let them know.

As others have mentioned, don't watch the ID channel and think you are suddenly the next Lt. Joe Kenda.
You seem very emotional calm down kojack
fka ftc
Not at all. Just not a fan of baseless blanket statements done for no other reason than to indicate one has some lesser knowledge.

You be you Colombo.
Valtrex_11
fka ftc said:

Not at all. Just not a fan of baseless blanket statements done for no other reason than to indicate one has some lesser knowledge.

You be you Colombo.
Lesser knowledge looks like hes been right with his assessment. ..Go watch more Murder she wrote.
aggiehawg
AG
Hope this guy's prosecutorial abilities belie his Santa Claus appearance.

Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson's office handles all felony cases in the jurisdiction. (Latah County)

FBI Agent at Moscow, Idaho enters the mobile command center on the Thanksgiving after 4 co-eds were slain (Derek Shook for Fox News Digital)

Judging by that non-FBI jacket, could be behavioral analysis person? Perhaps?

Quote:

Police said Wednesday they'd taken 4,000 photographs and collected 103 "pieces of evidence," including the contents of three dumpsters on King Road as part of the investigation.
LINK
fka ftc
Valtrex_11 said:

fka ftc said:

You be you Colombo.
Lesser knowledge looks like hes been right with his assessment. ..Go watch more Murder she wrote.
Go log in with another sock and keep starring your own post.

How could you/they/them possibly be "right with his assessment" with no announcement of a suspect?

Dumb. Move along, chump(s).
fka ftc
The 3D scanning is an amazing 'new' tool for even the beat cops and any first responders for that matter.

Being able to take full LIDAR scans is an incredible tool for preserving the crime scene, including being able to take detailed measurements and setup CGI recreations of the crime scene.

I know its a big assumption, but would assume all detectives, MEs, and forensic techs have an iPhone or similar so equipped.

On the other hand, being able to analyze DNA, including fragments and contact DNA in a party house on a college campus has to be the modern day equivalent of looking for a suspect in a photograph of several hundred people. Takes time and tons of follow-up to exclude each different sample.
aggiehawg
AG
This is coming from the Moscow PD. Presents an interesting question.

Quote:

On the evening of November 12th, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were at a local bar called Corner Club at 202 N. Main Street, in downtown Moscow, between 10 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. on November 13th. At approximately 1:40 a.m., Kaylee and Madison were seen on video at a local food vendor called the "Grub Truck" at 318 S. Main Street and used a private party for a ride home from downtown to arrive at their 1122 King Road residence at 1:45 a.m.

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting.

Detectives believe that on November 12th, the two surviving roommates had also been out in the Moscow community, separately, but returned home by 1 a.m. on November 13th. The two did not wake up until later that morning.

On November 13th, surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call requested aid for an unconscious person.

The call originated from inside the residence on one of the surviving roommates' cell phone. Multiple people talked with the 911 dispatcher before a Moscow Police officer arrived at the location. Officers entered the residence and found two victims on the second floor and two victims on the third floor.
We have heard that characterization of the 911 call before. Second floor victim, only one when we know there were two victims in separate bedrooms on that floor. Both interior bedroom doors were locked? Did they lock their bedrooms often? Even when they were not inside?

LINK

Quote:

The killer of four University of Idaho students likely entered through a sliding door and stalked through three bedrooms carrying out their knife rampage, records indicate.

Floor plans of the off-campus house where the slain students lived show two bedrooms on the third floor and two on the second, all accessible through a glass screen door.

Quote:

At a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, police refused to say in which order they believe the murders were committed.

Because the two women who slept on the first floor were untouched by the killer, it is believed that the assailant went in through a sliding glass door that leads from an outdoor patio to the kitchen on the second floor.

The floor layout shows that the murderer would have taken a winding route through the kitchen, the foyer and into the living room.

From there the killer could have climbed the steps to the top floor and attacked Goncalves in the front bedroom and Mogen in the back, or walked through the laundry room, which leads to the room where Chapin and Kernodle slept, the building schematic shows.
LINK

New roof? How long ago?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

On the other hand, being able to analyze DNA, including fragments and contact DNA in a party house on a college campus has to be the modern day equivalent of looking for a suspect in a photograph of several hundred people. Takes time and tons of follow-up to exclude each different sample.
Buckle swabs (inside cheek) on all sorority and fraternity members. Now, if any of that DNA shows up in mixed origins blood samples?

The boy, Ethan was a member of the frat and likely lived there was just at the house that night. Between the three other girls two belonged to one sorority and the third to another. Greeks these days have all kinds of ways to record membership and all contact information including cell phone and emergency contact info.

IOW, those folks can't hide.
W
AG
talk about bad luck...Ethan picked the wrong night to visit the house.

especially if one or both of the coeds on the 3rd floor were the original target
aggiehawg
AG
W said:

talk about bad luck...Ethan picked the wrong night to visit the house.

especially if one or both of the coeds on the 3rd floor were the original target
Flip the script here.

What if Ethan was the target? Easier to get him in a frat house? Or his GF's house?

ETA:I think Ethan and Kernodle were killed first. They were back at the house earlier although not by much, than the two girls on the third floor. But the girls were maybe making enough noise between phone calls to Jack and doing girly squeals?
fka ftc
Looking at the google street view, you can go back to 2007 and see that it appears the house to the right was built during the last 15 years (presumably) and a garage removed from the house where the murders occurred. Also looks like they cleared a ton of overgrowth and foliage out of there.

The adjacency to the university, the football stadium, frat houses, and apartments would mean a lot of people coming and going through that area on the weekend of a home football game and right before thanksgiving break.

That's all just info for speculating, but can also be indicative of why analyzing the evidence is taking longer.

Also lots of multi-unit dwellings which would be a reason why video doorbells are not widely available. Its been 25 years since I lived in a college town, so do not know how prevalent Ring is in a college town and in particularly at multi-unit dwellings.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
But if it's Ethan, does a murder/stalker/pissed off person kill the other two girls? I have no idea, but seems like a stalker of women is more crazy and likely to have collateral than a stalker/killer of a guy. He kills Ethan and has to kill GF, but why do the others. If he sees them first, doesn't he just back out since Ethan was the target?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
aggiehawg
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

But if it's Ethan, does a murder/stalker/pissed off person kill the other two girls? I have no idea, but seems like a stalker of women is more crazy and likely to have collateral than a stalker/killer of a guy. He kills Ethan and has to kill GF, but why do the others. If he sees them first, doesn't he just back out since Ethan was the target?
Because you are thinking like a rational person not wanting to be caught. And by rational I mean evade without detection.

"Dead men (and women) tell no tales."

History is replete with people being in the wrong place at the wrong time being potential witnesses and being whacked as a result.

W
AG
I would agree that the killer likely followed someone home

as opposed to already being in the house before anyone arrived.

it is strange or really sick that the killer decided to kill the non-targets sleeping on the other floor
itsyourboypookie
aggiehawg said:

This is coming from the Moscow PD. Presents an interesting question.

Quote:

On the evening of November 12th, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were at a local bar called Corner Club at 202 N. Main Street, in downtown Moscow, between 10 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. on November 13th. At approximately 1:40 a.m., Kaylee and Madison were seen on video at a local food vendor called the "Grub Truck" at 318 S. Main Street and used a private party for a ride home from downtown to arrive at their 1122 King Road residence at 1:45 a.m.

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting.

Detectives believe that on November 12th, the two surviving roommates had also been out in the Moscow community, separately, but returned home by 1 a.m. on November 13th. The two did not wake up until later that morning.

On November 13th, surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call requested aid for an unconscious person.

The call originated from inside the residence on one of the surviving roommates' cell phone. Multiple people talked with the 911 dispatcher before a Moscow Police officer arrived at the location. Officers entered the residence and found two victims on the second floor and two victims on the third floor.
We have heard that characterization of the 911 call before. Second floor victim, only one when we know there were two victims in separate bedrooms on that floor. Both interior bedroom doors were locked? Did they lock their bedrooms often? Even when they were not inside?

LINK

Quote:

The killer of four University of Idaho students likely entered through a sliding door and stalked through three bedrooms carrying out their knife rampage, records indicate.

Floor plans of the off-campus house where the slain students lived show two bedrooms on the third floor and two on the second, all accessible through a glass screen door.

Quote:

At a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, police refused to say in which order they believe the murders were committed.

Because the two women who slept on the first floor were untouched by the killer, it is believed that the assailant went in through a sliding glass door that leads from an outdoor patio to the kitchen on the second floor.

The floor layout shows that the murderer would have taken a winding route through the kitchen, the foyer and into the living room.

From there the killer could have climbed the steps to the top floor and attacked Goncalves in the front bedroom and Mogen in the back, or walked through the laundry room, which leads to the room where Chapin and Kernodle slept, the building schematic shows.
LINK

New roof? How long ago?

First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.