Gen X once again showing the way

7,676 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 85aggie777
fixer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hogties said:

Why the hell wouldn't Gen Xers be more conservative than social security dependent hippie Boomers and utopian childlike Gen Y and Zoomers?

Fantastic post.

One thing for certain is the "Overton window" got yanked so far to the left, many reliable democrat gen x voters are pulling the lever for republican for the first or second time.

Gen z is shocked to the point of spasms when i tell them I played outside past dark every day after school and on weekends my
Parents didn't see me until Sunday at 8 pm.

You learn a lot about life living that way as a kid. Self reliance , risk management, self confidence, etc....

Apache
AG
This latch-key child of divorced parents is ready for our first GenX president in 2024!!

AggieMD95
AG
We were the first post racial generation. Born after MLK I have a dream speech. Wokism is throwing it all away
TexAgs91
AG
lb3
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Gen-x as a whole grew up pretty self reliant. this is not a surprise.
They coined the term Latch Key Kids to describe this reliance. Now kids sit in day care after 4rd grade lets out and never learn how to shave the burn marks out of carpet.
YouBet
AG
Quote:

It astonishes me how much kids in college now text their parents during the day. When we were off at school, we were off at school and you only called maybe once a week because of long distance.
When I left for A&M my freshman year, my parents didn't hear from me again until I showed up at the door for Thanksgiving. And then I left again and they didn't hear from me again until I showed up at the door for Christmas.

Unfortunately, we are the smallest generation out there. The ones behind us are largely dumbasses and will end the country unless they wisen up as they get older.
EclipseAg
AG
It wasn't unusual for boomers born in the late '50s/early '60s, (the so-called Jones Generation) to have both parents working, especially those in the middle class or lower.

Growing up in the '70s, just about everyone I knew had parents that both worked. The term "latch-key kid" hadn't been invented yet but the impact was the same ... kids coming home to an empty house and fending for themselves.

The massive inflation of the early '70s forced a lot of stay-at-home moms out into jobs.

RAB91
Every generation has it strengths and flaws. But in general, the trend to not encourage independence doesn't seem like a good thing. There are a lot of examples for this, but being able to stay on your parent's insurance until you're 26 is the one that comes to mind.
No Spin Ag
So many great things going on in this thread. Makes me proud to be Gen-X
AgBQ-00
AG
BTW...on topic for the thread there is a channel on you tube I think it is called Ask Gen X. Basically it is a kid asking his dad about different topics and the replies are awesome
EclipseAg
AG
Hogties said:

- thought Michael P Keaton was a great and his liberal parents were losers,

This is a really good point (though the character's name was Alex).

The "Family Ties" creator originally wanted the series to focus on the hippie parents, with Alex being an unsympathetic character. But much of the audience identified with Alex rather than the parents, and it forced the writers to rethink how he was portrayed.

Some of that was no doubt due to Michael J. Fox's charm, but a lot of it had to do with the fact that younger people in the '80s rejected the hippie values of the '60s and aspired to personal success and wealth.
lb3
AG
EclipseAg said:

Hogties said:

- thought Michael P Keaton was a great and his liberal parents were losers,

This is a really good point (though the character's name was Alex).

The "Family Ties" creator originally wanted the series to focus on the hippie parents, with Alex being an unsympathetic character. But much of the audience identified with Alex rather than the parents, and it forced the writers to rethink how he was portrayed.

Some of that was no doubt due to Michael J. Fox's charm, but a lot of it had to do with the fact that younger people in the '80s rejected the hippie values of the '60s and aspired to personal success and wealth.
Great discussion point. They even went so far as to have Alex keep a Nixon photo in his room as a means of vilifying him. It obviously didn't work.
EclipseAg
AG
I've tried to explain to my kids the freedom we had and the incredible amount of time we spent either alone or with our friends, just roaming around and filling the hours ... fending for ourselves and figuring things out without parental involvement or oversight.

It's impossible for them to understand.

We covered a lot of ground back in the day, even before we could drive. I still can't believe how far we went on our bikes. With all that exercise, we probably slept a lot better than kids today, too.
AGinHI
AG
Clob94 said:

annie88 said:

We are definitely the best generation since the greatest generation.

Because we were raised to think for ourselves, work hard, don't whine, don't make excuses, earn what you get, learn from your mistakes and do things for ourselves. To name a few. It didn't mean we occasionally didn't get help, we did at times but we picked ourselves back up when we failed.

We stayed out till the street lights came on, we drank out of garden hoses, we played outside.

We were not in the everyone gets a trophy or ribbon generation. You either made the team or you didn't. You either made the grade or you didn't. We weren't coddled, but we were loved.

Remember when you had those group projects in school? I always hated that. We just had a very entrepreneurial do-it-ourselves attitude. I still do.

My parents were a little older they were not boomers they were the generation ahead of that, so I learned a lot from them.

Then what did Gen X do?

Started baby proofing the house, nerfing life, and buying bicycle helmets for our kids to use during masturbation.

Ya--- we were awesome-- until those kids came around.
Late to the conversation here,

but don't go generalizing.

I certainly didn't "nerf" my children's lives.

Maroon Dawn
AG
I feel for Gen X in the coming decade

Stuck between the Boomers *****ing for more taxes to pay for the retirement/medical care they didn't save for and Millenials and Gen Z *****ing for more taxes to pay for free college, loan cancelation, trains, EVs, UIC and every other dumb leftist boondoggle ever

And they are ones both sides expect to pay for it all
annie88
AG
Rattler12 said:

Clob94 said:

annie88 said:

Because we were raised to think for ourselves, work hard, don't whine, don't make excuses, earn what you get, learn from your mistakes and do things for ourselves. To name a few. It didn't mean we occasionally didn't get help, we did at times but we picked ourselves back up when we failed.

We stayed out till the street lights came on, we drank out of garden hoses, we played outside.

We were not in the everyone gets a trophy or ribbon generation. You either made the team or you didn't. You either made the grade or you didn't. We weren't coddled, but we were loved.

Remember when you had those group projects in school? I always hated that. We just had a very entrepreneurial do-it-ourselves attitude. I still do.

My parents were a little older they were not boomers they were the generation ahead of that, so I learned a lot from them.
We were the first latch key kids.

We had to be more self reliant, more responsible and less tolerant of bull ****. Both our parents worked and we were left at home during the summer time to fend for ourselves.
Gen X DID grow up with SOME training wheels, but we wanted our independence early. We wanted that drivers license. We wanted to turn 21 so we could party. We wanted to win when we played games. We saw a 2nd place trophy as the losers trophy.

Then what did Gen X do?

Started baby proofing the house, nerfing life, and buying bicycle helmets for our kids to use during masturbation.

You can thank 2 Boomers for how you turned out .........

My parents weren't boomers. They were a little older. They were of the silent/traditional generation.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Matt_ag98
Well for sure Gen-X Woodstock was a whole lot different then the original Woodstock
Johnny04
Why are boomer retirees split down the middle? Gotta make sure that SS check keeps coming I guess.
infinity ag
Both parties suck. What are you celebrating?
Maroon Dawn
AG
Johnny04 said:

Why are boomer retirees split down the middle? Gotta make sure that SS check keeps coming I guess.

Lot of Boomers have saved NOTHING for retirement or increased HC costs with age

Their plan is to scream and cry for Uncle Sugar to pay for it all via increased taxes on the rest of us
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

jlAG97 said:

not a lot of hope coming in the future though.
People become more conservative the older they get.

Gen-X was decisively for Clinton in 96, Gore in 2000, and Kerry in 2004. That ship has sailed..... clearly.

Well over 90% of A&M students voted for Reagan in 1984. Those were the days.
samurai_science
Gen X did a crappy job raising the next gen
HDeathstar
Gen X also made it through 3 economic busts. Dot.com, 2008, covid, and now this one we are in.
Fins Up!
AG
It's because we did stuff like this!

angus55
Oyster DuPree said:

jlAG97 said:

Gen-X was decisively for Clinton in 96, Gore in 2000, and Kerry in 2004. That ship has sailed..... clearly.

This. Gen-X acting like they're special in any way is rich

We are *****. We aren't a bunch of poosies running around offended but a thumbs up. We had the best bands and music. Rap didn't suck. Rock still rocked. Football didn't need skirts. And we had some nice wheels we rolled in.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
AgsWin2011
AG
Sounds to me like Gen X did a **** job raising their kids right (not all of you, don't get pissy).
Tanya 93
AgsWin2011 said:

Sounds to me like Gen X did a **** job raising their kids right (not all of you, don't get pissy).

My son's cool.
And funny.
And smart.
And sarcastic.
angus55
AgsWin2011 said:

My kid is a mini-me. She will go far in a world of wimps and limp wristed easily offended pronouns.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
Fins Up!
AG
My kid is going to eat the lunch of her millennial spawn classmates.
D2F1D0
AG

Generally speaking each generation counters the previous to a decent degree.

Boomer 1946-1964
GenX 1965-1980
GenY/millennials 1981-1992/6 (considered a split generation)
GenZ 1997-2012
TAMU1990
AG
Clob94 said:

annie88 said:

We were the first latch key kids.

We had to be more self reliant, more responsible and less tolerant of bull ****. Both our parents worked and we were left at home during the summer time to fend for ourselves.
Gen X DID grow up with SOME training wheels, but we wanted our independence early. We wanted that drivers license. We wanted to turn 21 so we could party. We wanted to win when we played games. We saw a 2nd place trophy as the losers trophy.

Then what did Gen X do?

I think the baby boomers were helicoptering the Millennials and the generations that followed ramped it up because they didn't want their kids to be left behind. This is when the extracurriculars - dance, sports, music, etc - started to take off as businesses. People started to pad their children's resumes for college. People pay for college exam tutorials, started to look for volunteering opportunities, etc.
TAMU1990
AG

jlAG97 said:

I've never voted for any of those guys.
TAMU1990
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Zarathustra said:

Where the last generation that remembers what it was like to be bored and to go climb a tree or throw rocks off the bridge as entertainment

You really believe this, don't you?
Do you remember when cable TV was introduced, and it was a big thing? I do. There was the three network channels and PBS until that point. I remember the National Anthem being played on the TV around midnight because there wasn't anything on TV until the morning. I remember waking up at 7am so I could watch Saturday morning cartoons, Fat Albert, and American Bandstand (which felt like I was peeping into teenage and young adult lives as a kid). Then off I went outside until the street lights came on. The Love Boat and Fantasy Island were on Saturday night because my parents were watching it. So yeah, there were many hours on your own to occupy yourself and friends. Sometimes we did stupid stuff in those 6-7 hours on our own.
Actual Talking Thermos
aggie93 said:

My Generation is awesome!

lead poisoning

ttu_85
jlAG97 said:

As Churchill said, if you are still Liberal at 40 you have no brain. About 20% more will figure it out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.