Gen X once again showing the way

7,708 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 85aggie777
ttu_85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Its Texas Aggies, dammit said:

TheEternalPessimist said:

jlAG97 said:

not a lot of hope coming in the future though.
People become more conservative the older they get.

Gen-X was decisively for Clinton in 96, Gore in 2000, and Kerry in 2004. That ship has sailed..... clearly.

Well over 90% of A&M students voted for Reagan in 1984. Those were the days.
Same at Tech. Not a libtard to be found. Good times.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Sea Speed said:

I find it hard to believe that many 18 to 29 year olds would vote rep.

Social media can warp a person's sense of perspective.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
ttu_85
Johnny04 said:

Why are boomer retirees split down the middle? Gotta make sure that SS check keeps coming I guess.
I dont believe those numbers. And some of you forget. Later boomer were very different than the hippie batch. Those born from roughly '58 to '64 were even more conservative than Gen-X. Hippies were the enemy and a laughing stock.
aggie93
AG
Manhattan said:

annie88 said:

We are definitely the best generation since the greatest generation.

Because we were raised to think for ourselves, work hard, don't whine, don't make excuses, earn what you get, learn from your mistakes and do things for ourselves. To name a few. It didn't mean we occasionally didn't get help, we did at times but we picked ourselves back up when we failed.

We stayed out till the street lights came on, we drank out of garden hoses, we played outside.

We were not in the everyone gets a trophy or ribbon generation. You either made the team or you didn't. You either made the grade or you didn't. We weren't coddled, but we were loved.

Remember when you had those group projects in school? I always hated that. We just had a very entrepreneurial do-it-ourselves attitude. I still do.

My parents were a little older, they were not boomers, they were the generation ahead of that, so I learned a lot from them.

Millennials did all that ****, the crazy **** happened with zoomers, who are their parents?
You are a perfect Millennial. You should take my sig to heart.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Daddy
AG
Xs are awesome but we let our wives pussify our kids

The Orangeman Returns with Thunder
aggie93
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

jlAG97 said:

People become more conservative the older they get.

Gen-X was decisively for Clinton in 96, Gore in 2000, and Kerry in 2004. That ship has sailed..... clearly.
I call BS on this. That was the freaking Boomers who loved those morons. They got all mushy hearing Fleetwood Mac songs at the '92 Dem Convention and were all about the feels. Boomers had everything handed to them but spent all their time whining about how hard their life was and how their parents sucked until they got all mushy later in life and wanted to celebrate them. Bunch of narcissists who loved to get nostalgic about the '60s and always trying to find themselves. Spit on my Dad when he got back from 'Nam. Most or our parents were Silent Gen who were kids during the Depression and WWII and didn't know the prosperity the Boomers had.

Gen Xers didn't want government to be their Daddy, they wanted to be left the hell alone and get to work and make money. We loved our country and were proud to be Americans. We grew up on Schoolhouse Rock and Saturday morning cartoons and playing outside until dark. We were taught that America was a Melting Pot where everyone came from different cultures but we were all Americans. Did so many things growing up that would freaking end you now I can't even count and I wasn't even a bad boy kid. We got into fights at school all the time but you would NEVER think of hitting a teacher or really even talking back to one. You feared the teacher calling your parents who would whoop your ass instead of "My perfect little snowflake was innocent and YOU are the problem". I remember going on road trips with only a book if I was lucky and memorizing the map because I was bored, just happy to get my parents to crack the window while they smoked cigarettes. We told so many jokes that you can't even think about now and the concept of political correctness or triggering never entered the picture. Wasn't always easy but we had fun though. The closest most of my friends came to being Democrats was voting for Perot though there were always some oddballs that went to the Dark Side.

I do agree the late Boomers were more like Gen X, essentially they grew up after the '60s were over and generally weren't as narcissistic.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Rattler12
Maroon Dawn said:

Johnny04 said:

Why are boomer retirees split down the middle? Gotta make sure that SS check keeps coming I guess.

Lot of Boomers have saved NOTHING for retirement or increased HC costs with age

Their plan is to scream and cry for Uncle Sugar to pay for it all via increased taxes on the rest of us
Says the guy that's screaming and crying.....don't know how old you are but wait till you get to retirement age and gas is $8/gal, a pound of hamburger meat $12. a new vehicle $142K. a 2000 sq ft house is $1.2 mil, a roll of toilet paper $7 and an electric bill is $950/mth then get back to us old farts about how great you did at saving up for retirement.........
TRADUCTOR
Popped collars ended genX.
SWCBonfire
AG
HDeathstar said:

Gen X also made it through 3 economic busts. Dot.com, 2008, covid, and now this one we are in.

And were just starting out/were old enough to remember the crap economy at the start of the 90s, when cover stories on Newsweek asked if we would be the first generation that wasn't more successful than their parents, etc.

Gen X was never coordinated on anything, but apparently is now based on common relative position. I am of the opinion Gen Z will become more conservative because like us, they will get largely forgotten compared to the much larger generation before and possibly after.
Buck Turgidson
Sazerac said:

Gen X is right before the university brainwashing started
Many American universities have been leftist indoctrination centers decades before there was such a thing as Gen X. They were horrific during the 60's, and that didn't spring out of nowhere. Communists were gradually infiltrating university faculties before WWII even.
Agz_2003
AG
annie88 said:

Because we were raised to think for ourselves, work hard, don't whine, don't make excuses, earn what you get, learn from your mistakes and do things for ourselves. To name a few. It didn't mean we occasionally didn't get help, we did at times but we picked ourselves back up when we failed.

We stayed out till the street lights came on, we drank out of garden hoses, we played outside.

We were not in the everyone gets a trophy or ribbon generation. You either made the team or you didn't. You either made the grade or you didn't. We weren't coddled, but we were loved.

Remember when you had those group projects in school? I always hated that. We just had a very entrepreneurial do-it-ourselves attitude. I still do.

My parents were a little older, they were not boomers, they were the generation ahead of that, so I learned a lot from them.
Reminds me of this song:

Tanya 93
EclipseAg said:

Hogties said:

- thought Michael P Keaton was a great and his liberal parents were losers,

This is a really good point (though the character's name was Alex).

The "Family Ties" creator originally wanted the series to focus on the hippie parents, with Alex being an unsympathetic character. But much of the audience identified with Alex rather than the parents, and it forced the writers to rethink how he was portrayed.

Some of that was no doubt due to Michael J. Fox's charm, but a lot of it had to do with the fact that younger people in the '80s rejected the hippie values of the '60s and aspired to personal success and wealth.

Stop bringing up my boy.
Ragoo
AG
Clob94 said:

annie88 said:

My parents were a little older they were not boomers they were the generation ahead of that, so I learned a lot from them.
We were the first latch key kids.

We had to be more self reliant, more responsible and less tolerant of bull ****. Both our parents worked and we were left at home during the summer time to fend for ourselves.
Gen X DID grow up with SOME training wheels, but we wanted our independence early. We wanted that drivers license. We wanted to turn 21 so we could party. We wanted to win when we played games. We saw a 2nd place trophy as the losers trophy.

Then what did Gen X do?

Started baby proofing the house, nerfing life, and buying bicycle helmets for our kids to use during masturbation.

Ya--- we were awesome-- until those kids came around.
the first latch key kids were the end of the boomers. Kids born late '50s and early '60s. Both parents went to work more than prior generations.
buzzardb267
AG
ttu_85 said:

jlAG97 said:

As Churchill said, if you are still Liberal at 40 you have no brain. About 20% more will figure it out.
I was coming here to say that chart proves the old saying that "if you are 20 and vote Republican, you have no heart....if you are 45 and vote Democrat, you have no brain".

Edit to add...WTH happened to my age group! Class of '67 here. Age is supposed to bring wisdom.
theeyetest
I saw what you Gen X'ers did at Woodstock in '99 and I'm not impressed lol.

Jk, I'm 34 and considered a millennial but I'm probably more close to a Gen X-er. Rode bikes miles away from the house during the summer until the street lights came on, got only what we earned, worked our asses off (no chore money-your chore money was a roof over your head and food in your belly), got whippins with a belt when we misbehaved or disrespected elders.

Same way I'm raising my kids and they'll hate me now but be thankful for it later in life.
annie88
AG
EclipseAg said:

Hogties said:

- thought Michael P Keaton was a great and his liberal parents were losers,

This is a really good point (though the character's name was Alex).

The "Family Ties" creator originally wanted the series to focus on the hippie parents, with Alex being an unsympathetic character. But much of the audience identified with Alex rather than the parents, and it forced the writers to rethink how he was portrayed.

Some of that was no doubt due to Michael J. Fox's charm, but a lot of it had to do with the fact that younger people in the '80s rejected the hippie values of the '60s and aspired to personal success and wealth.

Very true. One of my favorite lines from that show is when the father is talking about a budget meeting at PBS and Alex says "what is that budget meeting like dad, do they just throw up spare change in the air?"

I can't do it justice for Michael J Fox but it was really funny. He totally became the star of that show.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
85aggie777
AG
annie88 said:

pretty much sums it up. one thing you left off as a fellow gen Xer is we took care of ourselves when we got home from school. latch key kids. that's how i learned to cook

Many of our generation did. I had a stay at home mother so I didn't experience that exactly. but still had a lot of independence.
Same here. Mom stayed home until we got into high school and then she got a job to supplement my dad's income to pay for A&M for me and my sisters. My parents were Silent Generation, between WWII greatest generation and Boomers.

It is amazing how much independence and freedom we enjoyed as kids growing up compared to our generation ushering in the "helicopter" parenting style for our kids. Not sure how that happened, but it hasn't necessarily paid off considering how emotionally fragile the millennials became in comparison. I heard a Gen Z kid who watched an episode of "Stranger Things" set in the 80s ask if it was really true that parents would let their kids go out and play unsupervised in the neighborhood. She just couldn't fathom that, and it was so normal to us at the time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.