Gen X once again showing the way

7,705 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 85aggie777
Manhattan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
annie88 said:

We are definitely the best generation since the greatest generation.

Because we were raised to think for ourselves, work hard, don't whine, don't make excuses, earn what you get, learn from your mistakes and do things for ourselves. To name a few. It didn't mean we occasionally didn't get help, we did at times but we picked ourselves back up when we failed.

We stayed out till the street lights came on, we drank out of garden hoses, we played outside.

We were not in the everyone gets a trophy or ribbon generation. You either made the team or you didn't. You either made the grade or you didn't. We weren't coddled, but we were loved.

Remember when you had those group projects in school? I always hated that. We just had a very entrepreneurial do-it-ourselves attitude. I still do.

My parents were a little older, they were not boomers, they were the generation ahead of that, so I learned a lot from them.

Millennials did all that ****, the crazy **** happened with zoomers, who are their parents?
annie88
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Generation of Ronald Reagan, John Hughes, and Depeche Mode

That is a damn fine list.

Now I never liked Depressed Mode.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
I addressed that to the other poster. You can scroll back up and take a look.
Fight Fight Fight.
Clob94
I think back at how we handled conflict in school (meet in the parking lot behind the Ag barn after school).
Conflict in college (take it out to the parking lot-- don't fight in bars).
Meeting girls-- (you walk right up to the hot girl in the bar and ask her to dance then buy her a drink).
Driving--(we took our driving test the MORNING of you 16th birthday).
Vandalism-- (the cheerleaders toilet papering your house every Friday night after a football win).
Condoms--(always one in your wallet).
Partying-- (Boys drank whiskey and beer and girls drank wine coolers, Zima and Boone's Farm strawberry hill).

Contrast that list to kids now--
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Nah, according to the dip****s on here, they're the only ones on earth that have ever done any of that.
Ag_EE
AG
annie88 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

Captain Pablo said:

I hope you never let me down again
Manhattan
A 16 year old not getting their license today is most likely the product of a Gen Xer.
annie88
AG
Ag_EE said:

annie88 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

Captain Pablo said:

I hope you never let me down again

OK there was that one really popular song of theirs that was OK but most of the stuff I didn't like.

But I'll try to do better in the future.
Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
Manhattan said:

A 16 year old not getting their license today is most likely the product of a Gen Xer.

And that's another thing I don't understand. I have seen several people that I've known through work or such say that their kid did not want to get their drivers license and I can't understand that.

I would ask them why and they said they just didn't want to but the ones that I asked, the parents weren't behind the decision. I think it's more about this reluctance to not grow up.

I was at the DMV the morning of my 16th birthday at 7 AM.

Again all my close friends kids got their drivers license as soon as they could. So there's definitely different factions within the generation X.

Guess it depends on who you hang around with.
Fight Fight Fight.
dreyOO
Grew up in the Reagan 80s, civil rights issues were put to bed well before we came online (more of a positive historical marker that didn't need to be relived every day), we recognized that commies and terrorists were the enemies, and we still could openly love God.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Zarathustra said:

Where the last generation that remembers what it was like to be bored and to go climb a tree or throw rocks off the bridge as entertainment

You really believe this, don't you?
Muy
AG
annie88 said:

Sea Speed said:

I find it hard to believe that many 18 to 29 year olds would vote rep.

I did.

I loved Reagan as a middle and high school kid, found government papers I wrote about him in high school.
annie88
AG
Clob94 said:

I think back at how we handled conflict in school (meet in the parking lot behind the Ag barn after school).
Conflict in college (take it out to the parking lot-- don't fight in bars).
Meeting girls-- (you walk right up to the hot girl in the bar and ask her to dance then buy her a drink).
Driving--(we took our driving test the MORNING of you 16th birthday).
Vandalism-- (the cheerleaders toilet papering your house every Friday night after a football win).
Condoms--(always one in your wallet).
Partying-- (Boys drank whiskey and beer and girls drank wine coolers, Zima and Boone's Farm strawberry hill).

Contrast that list to kids now--

It is different. This generation likes coffee which mine didn't. I can relate to every single thing listed except for when I was in college most people didn't use condoms. That may sound shocking now but it was the mid 80s.

Aids was around but it was far off and seemed not in the general population. Crazy times.

Big difference between our six years in college.
Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Zarathustra said:

Where the last generation that remembers what it was like to be bored and to go climb a tree or throw rocks off the bridge as entertainment

It's actually pretty true. There's no reason to get so sarcastic about it. He's not saying that kids never played outside past our generation but we didn't have the bells and whistles the kids are growling no up with now.

We maybe had pong on Atari but other than the five television channels there really wasn't anything else to do except for play inside or out.
Fight Fight Fight.
Ag87H2O
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Those of us that grew up seeing the contrast between Carter and Reagan know well where unhindered Democrat rule leads, and how true conservative leadership is the answer to our problems - at least in the political arena.
Showertime at the Bidens
annie88 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

I think Clay is correct in his assessment. We were raised in the belief that the color of someone's skin did not determine that person's ability or character. So the trotting out of rebranded segregation and racism is a non-starter for us Gen-Xers. We also despise people trying to control us and force us into compliance. We are inclined to an eff-you attitude when it comes to those of totalitarian bent.

This.

Gen xers were in a unique spot with race as well. The world was pretty black or white when we were young. By the time we became adults, society had become exponentially more integrated.

We remember real racism when we were kids. It's sad to see kids today actually think things are worse. They have no idea how much progress has been made.
annie88
AG
Muy said:

annie88 said:

Sea Speed said:

I did.

I loved Reagan as a middle and high school kid, found government papers I wrote about him in high school.

I turned 18 in 1984 and that was the first time I got to vote and it was for Reagan.

I was a freshman in high school when he was shot. We were going to the Washington DC Cherry Blossom Parade that spring. We did end up going. I remember being in English class when they announced he had been shot.

I also remember being in school when they announced that the Iranian captives were freed after his inauguration.
Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
Zarathustra said:

annie88 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

I think Clay is correct in his assessment. We were raised in the belief that the color of someone's skin did not determine that person's ability or character. So the trotting out of rebranded segregation and racism is a non-starter for us Gen-Xers. We also despise people trying to control us and force us into compliance. We are inclined to an eff-you attitude when it comes to those of totalitarian bent.

This.

Gen xers were in a unique spot with race as well. The world was pretty black or white when we were young. By the time we became adults, society had become exponentially more integrated.

We remember real racism when we were kids. It's sad to see kids today actually think things are worse. They have no idea how much progress has been made.

So true.
Fight Fight Fight.
Muy
AG
Before cable boxes we had 4 channels so no reason to watch tv all day. We'd all sit down and watch Happy Days, All in the Family, and the Jefferson's as a family, but other than that I was outside either playing sports, riding my bike, fishing, climbing trees and overall just farting around until I had to be home for dinner.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Quote:

I was a freshman in high school when he was shot because we were going to the Washington DC Cherry Blossom Parade that spring.
Well if you weren't going to the Cherry Blossom Parade he wouldn't have been shot. Way to go
annie88
AG
ScapeGOAT said:

Nah, according to the dip****s on here, they're the only ones on earth that have ever done any of that.

I think you've made it very clear who the dip****s are on here with that comment.
Fight Fight Fight.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
99.9% of the Politics board?
Oyster DuPree
AG
annie88 said:

Oyster DuPree said:

Zarathustra said:

It's actually pretty true.

No, it isn't
annie88
AG
ScapeGOAT said:

Quote:

I was a freshman in high school when he was shot because we were going to the Washington DC Cherry Blossom Parade that spring.
Well if you weren't going to the Cherry Blossom Parade he wouldn't have been shot. Way to go

Sorry I didn't edit that correctly, I use talk text a lot. But I'll fix it since it's bothering you so much.

I was a freshman in high school when he got shot.

We also happened to be going to the Cherry Blossom Parade in DC that spring.

Happy?
Fight Fight Fight.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Very
annie88
AG
ScapeGOAT said:

99.9% of the Politics board?

On any given day, probably.

The culprits change though.
Fight Fight Fight.
Rattler12
Clob94 said:

annie88 said:

We are definitely the best generation since the greatest generation.

Because we were raised to think for ourselves, work hard, don't whine, don't make excuses, earn what you get, learn from your mistakes and do things for ourselves. To name a few. It didn't mean we occasionally didn't get help, we did at times but we picked ourselves back up when we failed.

We stayed out till the street lights came on, we drank out of garden hoses, we played outside.

We were not in the everyone gets a trophy or ribbon generation. You either made the team or you didn't. You either made the grade or you didn't. We weren't coddled, but we were loved.

Remember when you had those group projects in school? I always hated that. We just had a very entrepreneurial do-it-ourselves attitude. I still do.

My parents were a little older they were not boomers they were the generation ahead of that, so I learned a lot from them.
We were the first latch key kids.

We had to be more self reliant, more responsible and less tolerant of bull ****. Both our parents worked and we were left at home during the summer time to fend for ourselves.
Gen X DID grow up with SOME training wheels, but we wanted our independence early. We wanted that drivers license. We wanted to turn 21 so we could party. We wanted to win when we played games. We saw a 2nd place trophy as the losers trophy.

Then what did Gen X do?

Started baby proofing the house, nerfing life, and buying bicycle helmets for our kids to use during masturbation.

Ya--- we were awesome-- until those kids came around.
You can thank 2 Boomers for how you turned out .........
Hogties
AG
Gen x
- remembers the Carter years,
- voted for Reagan,
- thought Michael P Keaton (edit - it was Alex P Keaton) was a great and his liberal parents were losers,
- actually believed that content of character was more important than skin color,
- knew grandparents who fought Nazis and Imperialist Japanese and understood that freedom is not guaranteed,
- remember that "Nightline with Ted Koppel" was started as a nightly recap of the Iranian Hostage crisis (and after 444 days just stuck when Regan got the hostages home),
- and yes, Gen Xers were more self reliant as kids and played in their neighborhood rather than cyberspace,
- and today represent the bulk of the middle class that is getting crushed by Democrat policies while watching their retirement date fade into the ever more distant future.

Why the hell wouldn't Gen Xers be more conservative than social security dependent hippie Boomers and utopian childlike Gen Y and Zoomers?
FJB
AG
Young enough to have experienced the glory years of the 80's.

Who is John Galt?

OverSeas AG
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

annie88 said:

Oyster DuPree said:

Zarathustra said:

It's actually pretty true.

No, it isn't

You are pretty "rich" yourself.

When you have something of value to add, please do. Smart assery isnt smart or of value.
AgBQ-00
AG
I would venture a guess that a large swathe of Gen-X was actually parented by at least one Silent Generation parent. Boomers really started have kids in numbers at the tail end of Gen X and most of the millennials.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
The official shirt of this thread:

Oyster DuPree
AG
Dynamite drop-in, friend
FratboyLegend
Ellis Wyatt said:

Sazerac said:

Gen X is right before the university brainwashing started
We didn't even have the "diversity" class requirements at Texas as of 1995. It was the 3 Rs.
My Public Finance (upper level) course was taught by an economics professor who was, for the time, certainly left of center. This was government spending (federal, state, local) and revenues.

That coursework would be considered quite to the right today.

Texas '96
#CertifiedSIP
MediAg13
AG
Sea Speed said:

They're just the quiet ones because they're trying to build a career and understand the risk of getting canceled.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.