ERCOT: conserve power, set thermostat to 78 or anove

14,410 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ag with kids
Dan Scott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
6 facilities went offline at same time? WTF
AW 1880
AG
Beto probably has never paid his own electric bill. The wholesale price of electricity is not really reflected in monthly electric bills.
JB!98
AG
Bubblez said:

Do you understand what base load generation is? It is nuclear, coal, and natural gas. Do you know what drives the electric market? The cost of natural gas. Do you know when the last coal fired plant was built in Texas? 2013. Do you know when the last gas fired plant was built in Texas? 2018.

We do not have enough base load plants to support the growing demand for electricity.(You have to load follow with base conventional plants due to the fluctuation in solar and wind) Thus, you have pretty wild price swings in the commodity price. Build all the solar and wind that you would like, but it will have no impact on the price of electricity unless you have more base loading assets to deploy. It is simple supply and demand.

The ERCOT market has it pretty close to right with the current NODAL market. It is much more efficient at providing price inputs than the old ZONAL market. We just need more nuclear, coal, or natural gas resources on the ground and operating. More so coal and nuclear, but a good gas 3 on 1 will do.

Disclaimer*** I worked for ERCOT when we developed the NODAL market.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Dan Scott
AG
On powertochoose, the cheapest rate is 13.6 cents and that's 5 year agreement. Damn last year it was around 8 cents for 3 months. Cheapest 3 month is 20 cents. That's California prices
Bubblez
Dan Scott said:

On powertochoose, the cheapest rate is 13.6 cents and that's 5 year agreement. Damn last year it was around 8 cents for 3 months. Cheapest 3 month is 20 cents. That's Greg Abbot prices
FIFY
trueaggie2782
AG
All these electric vehicles sucking the grid dry. Thanks Beta!
JB!98
AG
Bubblez said:

Dan Scott said:

On powertochoose, the cheapest rate is 13.6 cents and that's 5 year agreement. Damn last year it was around 8 cents for 3 months. Cheapest 3 month is 20 cents. That's Greg Abbot prices
FIFY
Dear Lord. It is like trying to shoot pool with a wet rope.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Rapier108
Beta, other Democrats, and people who support them are hoping and praying to whatever demon they worship that the grid will fail and people will die.

It is the only thing they have to run on.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
cevans_40
AG
No one can be this dumb can they?
Artorias
AG
I always keep our thermostat at 78.

Wait…. Am I posting from the afterlife?
richardag
Martin Cash said:

BaileyAg said:

78? Are they crazy? Do people really do this?
Ours stays on 77 all the time. Perfectly comfortable.
78 during the day, turn down @ 10pm to 74
The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, npublic debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt.
People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.
-- Cicero, 55 B.C.
MouthBQ98
AG
Fwiw, if you aren't overweight, 78F feels just fine. If your BMI is racing your waist size for the win, 72F is sweaty hot.
gambochaman
AG
78 during the day, 72 at night

Plenty comfortable
JB!98
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

All these electric vehicles sucking the grid dry. Thanks Beta!
Watch them lose their ever living minds when rates go higher if their wet dream of everybody having an EV is realized! As we always say though, this hurts poor people more than any other demographic. You know the people they care so much about.
Bag
AG
Bubblez said:

Greg Abbott and the rest of his conservative government rather see hundreds of Texans dead so his buddies in the O&G industry can rake in billions. He is a clear and present danger to the lives of Texans. Absolute disgrace.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas-news/ercot-asks-texans-to-conserve-power-until-8-p-m-through-the-weekend/2967867/

try harder
SidetrackAg
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Fwiw, if you aren't overweight, 78F feels just fine. If your BMI is racing your waist size for the win, 72F is sweaty hot.

Man, when I was 140lbs at 6' I still wanted it cold. I can't stand for the house to be warm.
hbtheduce
AG
Bubblez said:

Greg Abbott and the rest of his conservative government rather see hundreds of Texans dead so his buddies in the O&G industry can rake in billions. He is a clear and present danger to the lives of Texans. Absolute disgrace.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas-news/ercot-asks-texans-to-conserve-power-until-8-p-m-through-the-weekend/2967867/

This administration and their lefty allies in Europe get all the praise for us raking in billions. Sanctioning Russian O&G removed much of the supply

Throw in your dumbass lockdowns that killed rigs and investment, leading to more supply shortfalls.

You are reaping the rewards of your own policies commie
BigRobSA
Good Lord....quoting Beto?

Give me a friggin break. That dude doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.
kb2001
AG
The Beto trolls have arrived. It's going to be a long summer as they treat regular occurrences like a new thing and pretend the sky is falling. The fear-mongering and hyperbole coming from his sycophants is nauseating.
TheEternalPessimist
Bubblez said:

Troll - I am sure the EPA and Federal regulatory agencies regulations along with a delusional push by leftists for windmill energy have nothing to do with it.....

.....but never let a crisis go to waste.

You have no problem with leftist big tech running their servers and equipment and draining the power supply..... as long as your preferred billionaires get richer.... right hypocrite?

--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
tk111
AG
Bubblez said:

Literally nothing in this comment makes any sense. Abbot definitely is responsible for increasing the amount of garbage wind power that we rely on based on dumb moves years ago and he has to own that dumbassery, but any nutjob dem wouldve done far far far worse in that regard. O&G industry has abso-f***ing nothing to do with it, not sure how you even make that connection. If the grid relied on o&g (mostly gas) this would never be a discussion. Obama's direct instructions to his pet EPA drastically reduced our gas plant power production and ended plans that were in place to construct more facilities as demand increased. Never mind the coal plants that were shut down. Those are the facts and the truth, but don't let that get in the way of your completely blind devotion to the great and powerful word of Dem.

Also, sorry we didn't lose any power and all freeze to death this winter so your vile ilk could celebrate and try to pin that on them greedy ol Republicans.
JB!98
AG
tk111 said:

Bubblez said:

Literally nothing in this comment makes any sense. Abbot definitely is responsible for increasing the amount of garbage wind power that we rely on based on dumb moves years ago and he has to own that dumbassery, but any nutjob dem wouldve done far far far worse in that regard. O&G industry has abso-f***ing nothing to do with it, not sure how you even make that connection. If the grid relied on o&g (mostly gas) this would never be a discussion. Obama's direct instructions to his pet EPA drastically reduced our gas plant power production and ended plans that were in place to construct more facilities as demand increased. Never mind the coal plants that were shut down. Those are the facts and the truth, but don't let that get in the way of your completely blind devotion to the great and powerful word of Dem
Preach, brother, Preach!
XXXVII
I'm wondering how these six generating plants were lost. What type of plants are they?

Were they taking scheduled maintenance outages while not expecting this heat wave, or was it equipment failure at the plants or a grid disturbance that tripped them?
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'm not in Texas but, I can finally participate in the air conditioning discussion. I just had central air installed in my 75 y/o $1.3M 1250 sq. ft. fixer.

I haven't lived in a house with air conditioning since 2003. Thermostat is set on 74 right now and I'm freezing. Living in SoCal really thins out the blood.

Really looking forward to July and August this year.
TequilaMockingbird
Bubblez said:

lol
Cromagnum
AG
**** that. If it's 78 inside my house we are pouring sweat. Abbott can kiss my ass.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Probably the mask clingers!
aTmneal
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

Martin Cash said:

BaileyAg said:

78? Are they crazy? Do people really do this?
Ours stays on 77 all the time. Perfectly comfortable.
76 with the ceiling fans going.

77 with ceiling fans. One of my kids gets a light jacket when it hits 75 or so in the house.
Seven Costanza
AG
I keep it at 77-78 during the day because that's a comfortable temperature for me.
TX04Aggie
AG
Keep house on 76 during day, but freeze out at night. Im not fat but I like it ice cold at night, so it gets turned down to 68 on the bedroom floor. Rest of house stays 74-76.
Deplorable
TX04Aggie said:

Keep house on 76 during day, but freeze out at night. Im not fat but I like it ice cold at night, so it gets turned down to 68 on the bedroom floor. Rest of house stays 74-76.

That's a dangerous game. System works better if you keep it within 3-4 degrees.

71-72 daytime, 68 nighttime downstairs in my house. 73-74 day 70 night upstairs.

geoag58
AG
Dan Scott said:

6 facilities went offline at same time? WTF

They must be next door to a food processing plant.

TChaney
3/31/22

Texas power grid, energy sectors facing elevated Russian cyber threats during war in Ukraine

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/03/31/texas-energy-grid-russia-cyberattack-hackers/
YouBet
AG
Sounds to me like we are under attack when 6 go down at once.
V8Aggie
AG
Yeah that's a hard no. I'm going to keep my downstairs ac at 74 and upstairs at 72. If I decide to watch a movie in the media room I'll probably kick on the third unit I have just to keep that room cold.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.