ERCOT: conserve power, set thermostat to 78 or anove

14,281 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ag with kids
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bubblez said:

Reno Hightower said:

Wind & solar are such good sources for energy needs……. NOT!

Too bad the petro guys can't figure out how to deliver a supply of NG in cold weather in this state
Who lost NG in Texas last winter? Nobody.

*pop* go the bubblez again……
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Owlagdad
Hand wringing news for chicken littles.
Power goes out, adjust your life.
Ags4DaWin
MouthBQ98 said:

Fwiw, if you aren't overweight, 78F feels just fine. If your BMI is racing your waist size for the win, 72F is sweaty hot.

Tell me you're old and your body is falling apart without telling me you're old and your body is falling apart.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Grew up between Houston and Galveston. We had an attic fan. We'd crack the windows an inch and turn that on to create a breeze inside the house. No AC. Parents finally got a window unit in their bedroom when I was 8 or 9.
The Kraken
AG
A dry 78 is perfectly fine, especially with fans. If you have a crappy AC system that does a poor job removing humidity it might be uncomfortable.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
XXXVII
YouBet said:

Sounds to me like we are under attack when 6 go down at once.

I think it's more likely these were poorly planned maintenance outages at the six plants. I wouldn't expect the news journalists to report on this accurately.
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
texagbeliever
B-1 83 said:

Bubblez said:

Reno Hightower said:

Too bad the petro guys can't figure out how to deliver a supply of NG in cold weather in this state

Bad argument. Residential retail never lost NG because they were given priority. The NG plants that had to shutdown because they couldn't get NG and then suffered icing damage because of it did suffer.

However the reason that NG was lost to many pipelines was because ERCOT/Petro companies failed to ensure that their pipelines were on the "do not cut power, no not ever" list. I forget the technical name but transmission would have easily been considered essential to grid sustainability. Instead it sounded like transmission pipelines signed up as demand response curtailable load (in order to make money). That backfired big time.
Kozmozag
Fats need 68
XXXVII
texagbeliever said:

B-1 83 said:

Bubblez said:

Reno Hightower said:

Bad argument. Residential retail never lost NG because they were given priority. The NG plants that had to shutdown because they couldn't get NG and then suffered icing damage because of it did suffer.

However the reason that NG was lost to many pipelines was because ERCOT/Petro companies failed to ensure that their pipelines were on the "do not cut power, no not ever" list. I forget the technical name but transmission would have easily been considered essential to grid sustainability. Instead it sounded like transmission pipelines signed up as demand response curtailable load (in order to make money). That backfired big time.

That's absolutely correct. On top of this, there was some Obama EPA requirement for the pumps operating the pipelines to be electric rather than fossil fuel based. They wouldn't have tripped if they were running some type of fossil fuel.
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
gigemags-99
AG
If you have a very well insulated house, what does it matter if you have the thermostat set to 78 or 70? If the temp is 100 outside the AC is going to kick in once above either of those temps until the thermostat lowers to the selected temp. I just prefer to start with a baseline between 70 and 72 ( you know, "room temperature")
Sully Dog
BaileyAg said:

78? Are they crazy? Do people really do this?
78 feels great when it's 104 outside
YouBet
AG
XXXVII said:

YouBet said:

I think it's more likely these were poorly planned maintenance outages at the six plants. I wouldn't expect the news journalists to report on this accurately.
Probably but won't surprise me at all if it's intentional either by Russia or American Democrats Communists.

Maybe we will know shortly.
Bucketrunner
Y'all leave Bubbly alone. She's winning more votes for Abbott with every post.
texagbeliever
YouBet said:

XXXVII said:

YouBet said:

Probably but won't surprise me at all if it's intentional either by Russia or American Democrats Communists.

Maybe we will know shortly.

I think Parish (houston one) with the fire was unplanned. Otherwise ERCOT is wrapping up outage season so 5 generators being offline is normal.

During April up to 24 GW was offline for planned outage (during the summer no generators go on planned outage).
nortex97
AG
Weird that with all of these sunny, windy days green unicorn energy isn't providing plenty of help to cover demand.
oldyeller
AG
78 is tolerable, if you have a room dehumidifier nearby, but if not that's unbearable. A dehumidifier in the room you spend the most time in can usually allow you to run the thermostat a little higher.
lead
Wind projections dip below 10GW this evening as well. Could get tight again.
Sarge 91
AG
My AC has been out for four days. My thermostat says 79. If you want Michael Douglas in Falling Down, this is how you get Michael Douglas in Falling Down.
medwriter
redcrayon said:

Setting the thermostat at 78 won't kill people. What are you talking about??
agz win
AG
Sarge 91 said:

My AC has been out for four days. My thermostat says 79. If you want Michael Douglas in Falling Down, this is how you get Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

Been there and brutal. Get some ice blocks or bags of ice and run fans on you. Good luck.
MemphisAg1
AG
For those that know, is the basic story that federal restrictions on natural gas or coal power plants have restrained power generation capacity from keeping up with the demand of a growing population?

That's the vibe I get from the comments of people who actually seem to know what they're talking about.

Or is there a different issue at play here?

It's not the weather... it gets hot in Texas... no surprise there.
fooz
No thanks. Upstairs is staying at 75 and down at 70.

Come And Change It!
Picard
AG
Sarge 91 said:

Dude, go get a window unit or a spot cooler. Keep your master bedroom or another room cool and spend most of your time in there.
Sarge 91
AG
Picard said:

Sarge 91 said:

Dude, go get a window unit or a spot cooler. Keep your master bedroom or another room cool and spend most of your time in there.

Thanks but I have that all figured out. The issue is I should not have to do all that *****
texagbeliever
oldyeller said:

78 is tolerable, if you have a room dehumidifier nearby, but if not that's unbearable. A dehumidifier in the room you spend the most time in can usually allow you to run the thermostat a little higher.
wouldn't the dehumidifier just require the A/C to run more because at a lower humidity the temperature will rise faster? Also i believe A/C units run based on changing humidity levels but not 100%.
YouBet
AG
We have 2 units for each half of house. Living and Bedrooms. Keep ours at 73 during day and then i let the living side float to 79 at night although it never gets that high.

I feel like what I'm doing is reasonable. What is not reasonable is my wife's penchant to turn on every light in the freaking house while we are here. Frequent battles over that although I have gradually worn her down to some extent over the years.
D Nauti
MemphisAg1 said:

For those that know, is the basic story that federal restrictions on natural gas or coal power plants have restrained power generation capacity from keeping up with the demand of a growing population?

That's the vibe I get from the comments of people who actually seem to know what they're talking about.

Or is there a different issue at play here?

It's not the weather... it gets hot in Texas... no surprise there.
There was a generator at a coal plant that caught on fire southwest of Houston, that's probably going to take a while to fix.

There are also a number of plants offline for maintenance, that happens every spring and every fall.

There were 5 plants that tripped offline yesterday, don't know the details on those, but generally speaking those are fixed pretty quickly.

Looking at the ERCOT graphs we should have close to 80k MW available during the summer and today we will have a little over 70k MW available, the demand is expected to be around 68k MW this afternoon and they would like to have a larger reserve available.

NCNJ1217
AG
My thermostat stays at 72 for cooling and 68 for heating all year round. Damn the alerts. I have a high efficiency hvac anyways so I'm not drawing a lot of power even during peak times.
B-1 83
AG
texagbeliever said:

B-1 83 said:

Bubblez said:

Reno Hightower said:

I think you missed my point. Lessons were supposedly learned in 2021 so that it would not happen again like the OP wishes it would.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Mike88
AG
Solving big, complex problems, like power grid security, takes foresight and time. Today's politicians don't have either of those.
nortex97
AG
Question: am I the only one who, when I see these notices, jacks my thermostat further down just in case the power is cut for a few hours?
Spurswin5
Seven Costanza said:

I keep it at 77-78 during the day because that's a comfortable temperature for me.

77-78 here. If my wife feels warm I ask her to step outside for 10 minutes and then come back in just kidding.

The AC hitting her sweat should cool her off just fine.
anaggieshusband
I'll have mine on 78 when I'm on vacation
Ag83
AG
Quote:

ERCOT/Petro companies failed to ensure that their pipelines were on the "do not cut power, no not ever" list

My understanding is that it was the NG suppiers' job to inform the power plants of that; certainly not ERCOT's.
OdessaAg
AG
I saw this Facebook post and it reminded me of this thread. The REEEEEEE is strong with that one……

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.