I will never buy an electric powered vehicle.

414,458 Views | 6734 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by aggieforester05
Manhattan
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Biden is so senile he drove the car inside!
Teslag
AG
nortex97 said:

What a load of ****
Manhattan
Teslag said:

nortex97 said:

What a load of ****

It's close on LFP cars, I would have got one if I still live in Texas as the RWD 3 is prefer much the most energy efficient car available, but would waste too much energy pre conditioning up here.
Teslag
AG
"Winter" varies widely by day and location. A better term would have been "extreme cold" but that doesn't get the response tweet author wanted.
TRADUCTOR
Teslag said:

"Winter" varies widely by day and location. A better term would have been "extreme cold" but that doesn't get the response tweet author wanted.

Plus the author did not mention how toasty warm battery fire can be.
Teslag
AG
Ah, the old EV fire bit. That line of BS is gold too
nortex97
AG
TRADUCTOR said:

Teslag said:

Plus the author did not mention how toasty warm battery fire can be.
True. Thermal run away has it's advantages. Some EV's do worse (this notes the older Tesla 3's anyway didn't have a battery heater so they were losing more than average in the cold).
annie88
AG
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Teslag
AG
What should it be?
LostInLA07
AG
A cyber truck!
nortex97
AG
Tesla obviously decided they could sell a whole lot more model 3's, x, and y's vs. throwing all of that 'energy' into the huge batteries for the cyber trucks (and 18 wheelers). With inflation, the cybertruck will probably be at least 20K more expensive when/if it ever gets produced and sold now (they had said it would start around 39K).
annie88
AG
Teslag said:

What should it be?
Are the ford vans electric yet are they still using gas?
Fight Fight Fight.
Teslag
AG
Probably gas. Musk has said that fossil fuels remain a key part of our energy needs. Not sure why people would be surprised they use gas powered service trucks with that in mind. The batteries in the actual Teslas run on electricity derived from fossil fuels for the most part as well.
annie88
AG
Hope this doesn't happen to you.

Quote:

Canadian Tesla owner says automaker locked him out of his car until he pays $26,000 for new battery
Some Tesla owners have voiced frustration about the electric vehicles, including a group in Norway that went on a hunger strike last month.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/canadian-man-says-tesla-locked-out-until-changes-battery

And yes I'm kind of teasing you at this point.
Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
Teslag said:

Probably gas. Musk has said that fossil fuels remain a key part of our energy needs. Not sure why people would be surprised they use gas powered service trucks with that in mind. The batteries in the actual Teslas run on electricity derived from fossil fuels for the most part as well.
Well I'm glad musk thinks that fossil fuels are good.

President poopy pants doesn't. Buttidork doesn't.
Fight Fight Fight.
BBRex
AG
The obvious answer is that you mount a small turbine on top of the car, and it charges the battery as you drive down the road.

&ct=g
nortex97
AG
LOL, sometimes they are 'iced.'

nortex97
AG
EV charging costs rise to ICE refueling in UK.

Quote:

The cost of charging an electric car has surged due to the rise in energy prices, prompting fears it will put off drivers from buying them, the RAC said.

It said electric car (EV) owners who use "rapid" public charging points were paying almost the same for electricity as they would for petrol per mile.

Charging the cars at home is cheaper, but domestic bills are also rising.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine has been blamed for much of the recent rise in electricity and gas prices.

The RAC said its research showed the cost to charge an electric car on a pay-as-you-go basis at a publicly accessible rapid charger had increased by 42% since May to an average of 63.29p per kWh.

The hike in price means drivers who only use the public network to charge vehicles pay around 18p per mile for electricity.
Teslag
AG
nortex97 said:

EV charging costs rise to ICE refueling in UK.

Quote:

The cost of charging an electric car has surged due to the rise in energy prices, prompting fears it will put off drivers from buying them, the RAC said.

It said electric car (EV) owners who use "rapid" public charging points were paying almost the same for electricity as they would for petrol per mile.

Charging the cars at home is cheaper, but domestic bills are also rising.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine has been blamed for much of the recent rise in electricity and gas prices.

The RAC said its research showed the cost to charge an electric car on a pay-as-you-go basis at a publicly accessible rapid charger had increased by 42% since May to an average of 63.29p per kWh.

The hike in price means drivers who only use the public network to charge vehicles pay around 18p per mile for electricity.

Superchargers are only used for long distance travel, where EV's suffer on the whole. The ones Texas are still 30 to 35 cents per kW. As you can see over my last 31 days, supercharging was only a fraction of my charging needs. Savings are still significant for comparable vehicles.

Get Off My Lawn
Quote:

Savings are still significant for comparable vehicles
In some categories…
1. Initial cost (you say even)
2. Cost of operation (adv. Tesla)
3. Cost of maintenance (adv. Tesla)
4. Cost of downtime (mixed as Tesla guarantees downtime on any long trip and is rendered useless in a no-power scenario, while ICE require planned oil changes and are more at risk of breakdown)
5. Resale (huge adv. ICE)
6. Period of ownership (huge adv. ICE as you "total" 2 battery packs in the time a single modern ICE wears down)

If you like your Tesla and it's daily convenience - congrats. But there's a huge depreciation issue that can get ignored in the cost of ownership discussion.
Teslag
AG
Resale is far more advantageous for Tesla. Hell, the model 3 is on track to have the greatest resale value ever.

As for period of ownership, Tesla batteries have a design life of 300 to 500 thousand miles and you're seeing that in the real world now.
BCG Disciple
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Quote:

In some categories…
4. Cost of downtime (mixed as Tesla guarantees downtime on any long trip and is rendered useless in a no-power scenario, while ICE require planned oil changes and are more at risk of breakdown)
6. Period of ownership (huge adv. ICE as you "total" 2 battery packs in the time a single modern ICE wears down)

If you like your Tesla and it's daily convenience - congrats. But there's a huge depreciation issue that can get ignored in the cost of ownership discussion.
Let me know where you see cheap resale/used evs. Might be worth the battery risk if they're as cheap as you claim. Would prefer a Tesla, and would take one 4 years old or so.
torrid
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Quote:

In some categories…
`

A Chevy Bolt? Sure. But I've heard several stories of people buying used Tesla selling them at a profit a few years later. There is a huge base of fanboys willing to pay for the name.
nortex97
AG
Interesting that they count your home electricity as free, you must have a great unicorn fart catcher at the house.

The point is, the cost to charge these things is skyrocketing (as is the reliability of the grid in the civilized world), and the ability to do so in places like…Florida where an evacuation was ordered would be limited for a 5 to 10 hour evacuation which could happen at any time to a large coastal city. I expect this winter some EV drivers in Europe to be stuck with no ability to charge, and also no cell phone service even.

It's just one more example of how EV owners/mfg's are selfish/disinterested in the rest of society.
YouBet
AG
Was meeting with my boss last couple of days. He drove up here to Dallas from Austin in his Tesla. He was bragging about how reliable it has been.

And then we walk out to it and it's dead. So dead he can't even open his doors because they aren't mechanical. So now he can't get his luggage. Tesla had to send someone out to plug something into the car so we could get the doors open to get his luggage.

Had to haul it back to dealership and he had to buy a plane ticket and fly home because they can't even look at it until next week.

Dumb.
Teslag
AG
If you had asked me, I'd have shown you the cost breakdown at the bottom of the app. You enter your current electric rate and it computes based off that. But you know what they say about making assumptions…

TRADUCTOR
0.08 cost per KW is so 2016

Teslag
AG
I still have 19 months left of my 8 cent contract
TRADUCTOR
That really is incredible. Great play there.
UTExan
YouBet said:

Was meeting with my boss last couple of days. He drove up here to Dallas from Austin in his Tesla. He was bragging about how reliable it has been.

And then we walk out to it and it's dead. So dead he can't even open his doors because they aren't mechanical. So now he can't get his luggage. Tesla had to send someone out to plug something into the car so we could get the doors open to get his luggage.

Had to haul it back to dealership and he had to buy a plane ticket and fly home because they can't even look at it until next week.

Dumb.

That's exactly why we chose a hybrid. We are willing to pay the opportunity costs to avoid problems associated with EVs for now in order to gain both highway mileage efficiency without having to stop. I just didn't see ANY Tesla vehicles on I-10 last June on that long stretch between San Antonio and El Paso.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
techno-ag
AG
YouBet said:

Dumb.

?a461160

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

AgBandsman
AG
BCG Disciple said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Quote:

In some categories…

Let me know where you see cheap resale/used evs. Might be worth the battery risk if they're as cheap as you claim. Would prefer a Tesla, and would take one 4 years old or so.

iPhones are designed to go from $1,000 value to $150 in 2 years, and you really think EV's will hold their value more than ICE?

EV's will be completely connected to the internet, and won't even be able to move without an internet connection. They will have a menu of add-on extras with monthly subscriptions. Your car will know your credit card number. It will know when you drive to and from work. How fast you drive to work. How bad the traffic is when you drove to work and how inebriated you are behind the wheel. How many miles you drive monthly will be automatically sent to daddy government for taxing purposes.

It's basically a smartphone on wheels.
GAC06
AG
Why would an EV be more dependent on the internet than a modern ICE vehicle?

It wouldn't. That's possibly the dumbest argument yet on this thread and that's really saying something
Philip J Fry
AG
AgBandsman said:

BCG Disciple said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Quote:

In some categories…

iPhones are designed to go from $1,000 value to $150 in 2 years, and you really think EV's will hold their value more than ICE?

EV's will be completely connected to the internet, and won't even be able to move without an internet connection. They will have a menu of add-on extras with monthly subscriptions. Your car will know your credit card number. It will know when you drive to and from work. How fast you drive to work. How bad the traffic is when you drove to work and how inebriated you are behind the wheel. How many miles you drive monthly will be automatically sent to daddy government for taxing purposes.

It's basically a smartphone on wheels.

Don't forget that it will be able to look up your social score.
Teslag
AG
GAC06 said:

Why would an EV be more dependent on the internet than a modern ICE vehicle?

It wouldn't. That's possibly the dumbest argument yet on this thread and that's really saying something

It's like they've never heard of Onstar
First Page Last Page
Page 22 of 193

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.