I will never buy an electric powered vehicle.

290,817 Views | 5362 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by nortex97
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most of us don't drive BMWs and neither does most of the market. Compare it to the Rav4 or Toyota Camry, two of the highest selling cars/CUVs.

I can 100% tell you that in 10 years ICE engines won't be a niche, the grid can't take it. When a major city is going to throw out a bid for hundreds of generators that should be a sign. They said there is zero chance they will be able to charge all of the EVs even with current grid updates
techno-ag
AG
So first the bad news for the Big T:

Quote:

Musk's comments came during Tesla's earnings call on Tuesday after the company reported disappointing first-quarter numbers. Revenue fell 9% year over year, its steepest annual decline since 2012.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/04/24/tesla-stock-up-after-elon-musk-says-new-affordable-ev-models-coming.html

Whoa. That's not a good sign. The stock did pop though because they said they do plan on rolling out cheaper cars.

Here's the fun stuff. Elon mused he could use idle cars' computing power in the background. No word on if owners will be compensated for the use of their cars' computer chips.

https://www.theverge.com/24139142/elon-musk-tesla-aws-distributed-compute-network-ai
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Bubblez
Now that a target timeframe has been announced, I think I'm going to wait around for the lower cost (and hopefully shorter length) Tesla. I'm in no rush.
techno-ag
AG
Bubblez said:

Now that a target timeframe has been announced, I think I'm going to wait around for the lower cost (and hopefully shorter length) Tesla. I'm in no rush.
Be careful. Cheaper is not necessarily better.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
hph6203
AG
techno-ag said:

So first the bad news for the Big T:

Quote:

Musk's comments came during Tesla's earnings call on Tuesday after the company reported disappointing first-quarter numbers. Revenue fell 9% year over year, its steepest annual decline since 2012.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/04/24/tesla-stock-up-after-elon-musk-says-new-affordable-ev-models-coming.html

Whoa. That's not a good sign. The stock did pop though because they said they do plan on rolling out cheaper cars.

Here's the fun stuff. Elon mused he could use idle cars' computing power in the background. No word on if owners will be compensated for the use of their cars' computer chips.

https://www.theverge.com/24139142/elon-musk-tesla-aws-distributed-compute-network-ai

Profit sharing was mentioned during the earnings call.

Quote:

Elon Musk -- Chief Executive Officer and Product Architect
I think it's analogous to Amazon Web Services, where people didn't expect that AWS would be the most valuable part of Amazon when it started out as a bookstore. So, that was on nobody's radar. But they found that they had excess compute because the compute needs would spike to extreme levels for brief periods of the year and then they had idle compute for the rest of the year. So, then what should they do to pull that excess compute for the rest of the year.
That's kind of -- yeah, monetize it. It seems like kind of a no-brainer to say, OK, if we've got millions and then tens of millions of vehicles out there where the computers are idle most of the time that we might well have them do something useful. And then I mean if you get like to the 100 million vehicle level, which I think we will, at some point, get to, then -- and you've got a kilowatt of useable compute and maybe your own Hardware 6 or 7 by that time. Then you really -- I think you could have on the order of 100 gigawatts of useful compute, which might be more than anyone, more than any company, probably more than any company.
Ashok Elluswamy -- Director, Autopilot Software
Yeah, probably because it takes a lot of intelligence to drive the car anyway. And when it's not driving the car, you just put this intelligence to other uses, solving scientific problems like a human or answering dumb questions for someone else.
We've already learned about deploying workloads to these compute nodes.
And unlike laptops and our cellphones, it is totally under Tesla's control. So, it's easier to distribute the workload across different nodes as opposed as opposed to asking users for permission on their own cellphones would be very tedious.
Well, you're just draining the battery on the phone, so like technically, I suppose like Apple would have the most amount of distributed compute, but you can't use it because you can't get the -- you can't just run the phone at full power and drain the battery. So, for the car, even if you're a kilowatt-level inference computer, which is crazy power compared to a phone. If you've got 50- or 60-kilowatt-hour pack, it's still not a big deal whether you plugged it or not. It could be plugged in or not like you could run for 10 hours and use 10 kilowatt hours of your kilowatt of compute power.
Lars Moravy -- Vice President, Vehicle Engineering
We got built-in like liquid-cooled thermal management. Yes, it's exactly for data centers. It's already there in the car.
Exactly. It's distributed power generation -- distributed access to power and distributed cooling. That was already paid for.
Yes. I mean, that distributed power and cooling, people underestimate that costs a lot of money.
Vaibhav Taneja -- Chief Financial Officer
Yes. And the capex is shared by the entire world. Sort of everyone owns a small chunk, and they get a small profit out of it maybe.
agent-maroon
AG
I can't believe they would discuss this out loud. Buy your own computers and pay for your own power. Stay the eff out of my business.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bubblez
techno-ag said:

Bubblez said:

Be careful. Cheaper is not necessarily better.
I hope its somewhere in the 175" range in length. I don't need all the extra length for a daily driver, and it fits better in the garage.
nortex97
AG
EV sads from across the pond.
First Page Refresh
Page 154 of 154

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.